Zero Punctuation: DeathSpank & Limbo

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Apocolyptic despair? with Limbo?

That sort of thing is what I get playing Fallout 3, which is probubly my answer to your Silent Hill 2.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I agree 100% on both.

Deathspank's humor is annoying and the baddies all blend in the with the background to the point of being invisible.

Limbo was great but degenerated into a series of physics puzzles. Great start, poor finish.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
solidstatemind said:
Love the Cure reference. Betcha it was 'Disintegration'...
I don't know, even Love Cats would make me dream in grey shade about things trying to kill me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I played DeathSpank that while repetitive in the sense of all other hack n' slash RPGs was oddly enough carried by the humor.

Limbo on the other hand was carried by the graphics since in all honesty I've played better platformer mechanics, but they're not bad.

It's an odd selection to review since they're so different... but then again given the variety of your audience I suppose it could make sense.

Also was that your brief review of War for Cybertron? Not your cup of tea eh?

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
If he decides to review it after all i will be only too happy alright?
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

I have free speech and i can say whatever I want so you know what?
Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
can you do anything about it? Of course not i have free speech silly!
was it even nessesary? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.
If you're honestly this upset over such a frail comment, I'd suggest staying away from Zero Punctuation reviews altogether.
I have to agree with this guy. This thread caught my eye because it quickly became a flame war. Just let it be man, everyone shares a different point of view. I would personally love to see Yahtzee throw a *****-fit over Starcraft II, but alas, that'll never happen.

As Yahtzee once said, (and I'm paraphrasing) "I don't understand the crusade-esque favore this console generation has attracted." well, now you've become that guy. except instead of defending a console your defending a game critic with a witty sense of humour and obvious self esteem issues. I'm pretty sure someone as egotistical as he is doesn't care how people interpret his banter or what people like you think. Just let it be man, let it go.

Neo0MJ

Jan 4, 2010
Come on people. While some parts of the single player in TF:WFC were nice, it was still lacking. Plus, there were plenty of bugs. Maybe next time they can do it right.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
I love Transformers with a passion that few mortals can comprehend. I bought War For Cybertron expecting a competent yet cliched, nostalgia-driven boomfest and that was exactly what I got. Exciting or memorable would have been nice, but there ya go. If I'd owned Gears of War I'd probably have waited for WFC to drop to budget before picking it up.

Still, figures of Optimus and Bumblebee are already out and Megatron and Soundwave are coming soon. They might be the best part of the whole affair :)

-Nick

pikmintaro

Sep 16, 2009
"Money is the root of all evil" a lot of people get this quote wrong for some reason, the actual quote from the Bible is "1 Timothy 6:10 THE LOVE of Money is the root of all kinds of evil"

Anyways good review as always, if I had an Xbox 360 I would probably buy that Limbo game, it sort of reminds me of "Knytt" which is a different game on PC.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
If only limbo wasn't xbox exclusive, I hate that shit. Its the only console I don't have.

Traumaward313

Nov 24, 2009
At what point did we decide to start pointing out that every game is a clone of every other game when we've known this since gaming was invented? o_O We don't do this with movies when there's no difference.

It's called a genre! And as such it's going to have very many similarities to all other games in it's GENRE.

Also, Gears of War is the only game of it's kind o_O

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Limbo make me remember games like Oddworld and Hearth of Darkness.
If one day it comes to the PC, I'll buy.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
Im kind of confused about the last comment. I am pretty sure that Yahtzee replied that he played all games on Medium mode. So how could he say that War For Cybertron players can eat a dick, when he doesn't even go as far as the hardest mode on that game? I mean hey, he got bent over by Demon's Souls, so I can understand if he is confused about what Easy and Hard actually is, but unless he played the hardest mode, he can't really call the game "easy".

And at least the game is better then the movie. The most recent pile of diarrhea movie.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
All you people blathering about Starcraft 2 just got trolled. :)

And yeah, it's the love of money that's the root of all evil. Well, according to the Bible, if you're into that kind of thing.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
YOU DARE TALK ABOUT STARCRAFT 2 AND WITH OUT A REVIEW YOU MASSIVE TURD. YOU ARE A GAME CRITIC AND YOU NEVER PLAYED IT AND YET YOU CALL IT BAD WTF!

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
greenflash said:
YOU DARE TALK ABOUT STARCRAFT 2 AND WITH OUT A REVIEW YOU MASSIVE TURD. YOU ARE A GAME CRITIC AND YOU NEVER PLAYED IT AND YET YOU CALL IT BAD WTF!
See this is why. He doesn't play the game, and if he were to review it, he would probably miss out on most ofthe detail. And plus, he would be boring the hell out of himself for reviewing it. Relax you troll, go play the game and tell yourself that it is good. You don't need any confirmation.

Edit: And he never said that it was bad. He said he doesn't like RTS games. Get your facts straight.