Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Deus Ex

This week in preparation for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Zero Punctuation retrospectively reviews Deus Ex.

Watch Video

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Huh, guess this can be seen as a 2 parter which is a first for Yahtzee.

And I get the feeling he really doesnt like John Romero, but that could just be me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
While haven't completed it yet, I am really enjoying Human Revolution so far. I didn't play the original when it came out yet it still held up years later, mostly for still having original gameplay mechanics...

...now at this stage there have been imitators and now found myself wondering what else can first-person style perspective gameplay can do. In regards to the next review, some of those issues have been addressed in Human Revolution such as the tranquilizers... but on the other hand it has the opposite of others aspects such as regenerative health. On that basis I have no clue what next week will be then haha!

Now I'm also going to wonder how many comments will come up before anyone actually watches the video and comments about JUST Human Revolution, not the original.

Pscyon

Mar 9, 2009
I didn't get past the first hour either. Not when the game was new due to an old crappy monitor which made everything simply too dark (damn you stealth tutorial!) and not now since the game is simply too hard to get into without nostalgia mode which I lack for this particular game.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Me thinks Yahtzee will be slightly disapotined with HR's health system.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Interesting idea to review the original first. Considering DX HR is a prequel it seems the best way to milk the maximum enjoyment out of the references to be found there.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
While Human Revolution is good, I don't think it lives up to the complexity of the original.

So Yahtzee may either like it or despise it, so the usual.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i was thinking what the first deus ex game was like, i think if its cheap enough i might find it on steam or something

vrbtny

Sep 16, 2009
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Be interesting to see how he recieves HR, as that game does have some of the things he was complaining about. (regenerating health, stupid boss fights, guns you don't need to worry about skill to use)...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, as someone who sort of missed the first game I can safely say that as of right now, Human Revolution is my strongest GotY contender.

As for this one, I'm glad my decision to forego playing it appears somewhat justified. Heh.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
Wait, so the tags list a PS2 port, but the description doesn't? Consistency Is Nice, I thought Yahtzee knew as much.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
vrbtny said:
Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.
Dude, Revolver with Explosive ammo.

It can kill a box guard in 5 shots if you upgrade the damage all the way.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
therockdemon said:
i was thinking what the first deus ex game was like, i think if its cheap enoth i might find it on steam or something
You can get on steam for 10 bucks, and if you wait 'till christmas you'll probably be able to get it for half that in one of their sales.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Heh, a Zero Punctuation that ends with the promise of a sequel!

I liked the reference to Yahtzee's Deus Ex song too.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I think he'll like DE:HR for what it is, but when comparing it to the original, he'll probably not like it as much.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Wait, wait, wait a second here. Why does Yahtzee show Gordon Freeman running away from the Gonarch as an example of a game that doesn't let you do that? The Gonarch is the only boss that doesn't let you do that in the whole damn game! You can run away from all the tanks and helicopters in Half-Life without shooting them, it just makes it a lot harder...just like Deus Ex!

vrbtny

Sep 16, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
vrbtny said:

It can kill a box guard in 5 shoots if you upgrade the damage all the way.
Yeah, but no one carries around revolvers in the game, whereas nearly all the bad-guys carry 10mm. Especially all the gang members and such. The quality of a gun in Deus Ex : Human Revolution is less about the effectiveness of it on human flesh, and more about the sustainability of it. Like if you can find enough ammo to use it.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Okay I'm 18, and I feel really bad because I haven't heard of Deus Ex until Human Revolution came out. (Well I remember Yahtzee's song about it on his review of Guitar Hero: World Tour but at the time I didn't get it.) So yeah I should probably play it at some point.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
vrbtny said:
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

That's because the game basically hands you one with a piercing upgrade. Still, it looks really bad ass.

Sigh, if only you could silence a revolver that wasn't some obscure Belgian model...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
From what I have heard, HR combines Bioshock with Gears of War.

Gears gives the regenerating health, the zero skill required guns, the large bosses, and the cover based shooting while Bioshock gives the decent story and upgrade abilities.

Would this be correct, cause a game like that sounds awful, frankly.

Feb 13, 2008
Oh god...Dai Katana...

It was SO SO BAD.

If you can imagine playing Modern Warfare 2 against Frogs and Mosquitos, with snot dumped over your monitor...then you must have already played it.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Hell yeah! I just played through the game last week for the first time in my life, and it immediatelly rose into my top 5 games of all time. I find the graphics charming! And everything aside the graphics is close to perfection! I really, really loved the damn thing. Like, alot.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
vrbtny said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
vrbtny said:

It can kill a box guard in 5 shoots if you upgrade the damage all the way.
Yeah, but no one carries around revolvers in the game, whereas nearly all the bad-guys carry 10mm. Especially all the gang members and such. The quality of a gun in Deus Ex : Human Revolution is less about the effectiveness of it on human flesh, and more about the sustainability of it. Like if you can find enough ammo to use it.
You just make every shot count, you take take out groups of guys with a well placed explosive shot.

Ammo was never an issue.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
Quote from the video that I found funny
Game that came out recently that I want him to review
He is so right about x
Okay people, try posting something that isn't any of the above and stop shitting this website up so much.

Dafttechno

May 19, 2010
Doubt anyone else would care about this, but I found it amusing that the PC tower he showed at 3:54 was the same case as my computer.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
Theminimanx said:
therockdemon said:
i was thinking what the first deus ex game was like, i think if its cheap enoth i might find it on steam or something
You can get on steam for 10 bucks, and if you wait 'till christmas you'll probably be able to get it for half that in one of their sales.
thanks man, i just checked for it on steam it is only £6 i think i will download that now

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Oh, an interesting review of one of the best games of all times. It's funny, the story of Deus Ex should be terrible. You have multiple conspiracies, genetic experimentation, Illuminati, the UN, the chinese mafia, corporations, etc, but it all makes sense! That's what makes the game so great, at least in my view.
HR...well, it's pretty good. The story is great, and the gameplay is solid. However, the boss fights don't fit well with a stealth run, and the animations are awful. Then again, it's still far, far, far better than Invisible War (which wasn't THAT bad...).

vrbtny

Sep 16, 2009
Inkidu said:
vrbtny said:

Sigh, if only you could silence a revolver that wasn't some obscure Belgian model...
Wait wha-? Silencing a revolver destroys half of the point of using one. That's like silencing a shotgun, cutting off eargasms.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Unless you count the FIRST Duke Nukem review, I think this is the only time Yahtzee has reviewed a game by never actually talking about it. I'd be more amused if next week he just tells us he lied about continuing the review.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
I still remember my first Deus Ex run. I died about halfway into the statue and then went 'wait a sec...what do you mean, 'this game has no autosave whatsoever'?!'

The german agent also won my price for Most Atrocious Accent.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
vrbtny said:
Inkidu said:
vrbtny said:

Wait wha-? Silencing a revolver destroys half of the point of using one. That's like silencing a shotgun, cutting off eargasms.
I know but they look so cool and I can't really bring myself to have my characters grab the inventory upgrades a lot of the time. I'll admit though that freaking shotgun gave me shivers. Best gun in HR as far as I'm concerned.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I predict 4 minutes on the awful boss fights, 30 seconds recommending the game because it really is quite good.

And by quite, I mean I'd have sex with the disc if I was still some pre-historic caveman who bought his games from real shops.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
G. K. Chesterton is wonderful, but I rather think that the Marxian-influenced critique of history and the individual's role in it underlying The Witcher still counts as philosophy. Still, glad to hear that Deus Ex meets with a certain amount of approval.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Can't help feeling he only mentioned the ability to slip past bosses because he's heard that it's exactly what you can't do in Human Revolution... even if he said he knows nothing about HR.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Fantastic episode. I'm a weekly watcher but this is the first in a long time where I've been genuinely impressed by the densely packed, laugh-out-loud humour.

So many great references but "I exist to ruin holidays" and the Ion storm creation myth are standouts for me.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I was hoping he'd sing his Deus Ex theme he sang back in Guitar Hero World Tour. But at least he referenced it in the end credits.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
He is going to tear Human Revolution appart.

It is a decent action-rpg for today's time and must seem like a revelation to anyone, who never played a Deus Ex before, but in direct comparisson to the Original it is just bland.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
TitanAura said:
Unless you count the FIRST Duke Nukem review, I think is the only time Yahtzee has reviewed a game by never actually talking about it.

Re-read the title

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I was hoping he'd sing his Deus Ex theme he sang back in Guitar Hero World Tour. But at least he referenced it in the end credits.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
could not get in this game when it came out. my friend got it and we tried it out and this game just dint grab me. the controls felt awkward.... i just could not get in to it.
after few hours i just had enough of this game.
i never got my self part 2 and i highly doubt i will get HR.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
To be fair, Deus Ex has a difficulty curve that goes something like "batshit insane hard first mission because you don't know what to do, and you're a gimp". Then it actually gets good, real good. The rocket launcher actually blows people up. Even bosses can't take a rocket in the face and laugh it off. It has one of the best and most immersive storylines, and it even has AN ENTIRE CHAPTER that can be skipped if you play your cards right throughout the game. Basically, you get enough intel to give a proper warning in time, and you don't have to go to France.

After a while, you start to notice the way you like to play. Personally, I liked sneaking, assassinating and sabotaging, and having a kick ass rocket launcher to kill bosses with.

So, now that I've said enough about Deus ex, lets talk about DE:HR. It is an 8.5 of 10 game. It could have been a 10.0 in my book if they hadn't fucked it up.

Their Alpha tester failed so hard. Really really hard. I'll list the faults from minor to major.
1: Megan Reed's mother twitches so frickin much you'd think she was on a mix of amphetamine and cocaine.
2: They kept the stupid laser sight on sniper bug that makes the sniper miss when you attach it, because the aim goes for the laser, which you can't see on your scope... Yeah, that's something they copied from Deus Ex...
3: Hacking becomes really tedious quite fast. They made WAY TOO MANY things to hack.
4: The weapons' damage output is unbalanced. The silenced pistol is basically the most powerful weapon after the grenades/frag mines. EMP is also incredibly powerful. It's harder to kill people with a minigun than with a silenced pistol ffs.
5: Bosses can take 100 bullets from a minigun in the body/head, without dying... And they can step on 4 frag mines. (I played it on normal difficulty)
6: The energy system is so stupid it hurts. You can only regen 1 bar, and everything except minor augs need 1 energy bar, so you will be stuck on the first energy bar until you pop a refill, which aren't that abundant. This should have been avoided by adding the number of energy bars being recharged with the upgrade system. Instead they made all energy requiring augs a pain in the ass to use.

* the next ones can ruin the experience for you. Read at own risk.

7: An important role's voice actor (won't spoil it) really did a shitty job, so did the script writer for that scene. You'll understand if you go for the silver tongue style at the end.

But, the biggest fault lies deeper. They did not understand Deus Ex at all. They did really not understand what made it great. The story is linearized in the bad way. It lacks the political depth the old game had. And it made the assumption that the gamer is a stupid twat. Really * spoiler alert * just get to the second visit to Heng'sha and see the scene where EVERYONE gets the exact same Augmentation error AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME.

The story is too straight forward, and there are cutscenes that implement the "plot continuing stupid action" that is so often used. I am talking about having gone through 8 floors full of guards, assassinating half of them, all unseen, getting to the target, and then go soft and hesitate to shoot the ***** in the knee. WHAT THE FUCK. This is what Deus Ex did well. They didn't make cutscenes that forced you to do stupid stuff just to continue the plot.

It is obvious that the people at the very top of this game didn't know what Deus Ex 1 really was, but some of the ones in the midrange of the corp did. It does a whole lot very well, it has researched a lot of the technology and research done in this field, but it just gets too obvious that there are too many people without the vision of making something that pushes the envelope in all aspects that games usually avoid.

Had it not been Deus Ex, it would have been a good game that touched into fields few dare touch, but considering what they based themselves on, they really did not do well.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Exterminas said:

It is a decent action-rpg for today's time and must seem like a revelation to anyone, who never played a Deus Ex before, but in direct comparisson to the Original it is just bland.
Isn't that more or less exactly what everyone said about Invisible War when it first came out?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm waiting till human revolution is on steam sale because I heard it has a good story but I don't think it can stand up to the original.

DE1 had huge open levels and that was one of the major drawbacks of invisible war. The level size was limited by the puny memory of the first xbox.

It also had immersion, you could pick up a basketball and just spend time doing free throws.

It had limited resources so you had to make hard decisions both in building your character and in resource use. It didn't have puzzles so much as problems that you solved in character. It had role-playing not for in game reward but for player satisfaction. In DE1 when I was escaping from UNATCO I did it 100% non-lethal, because these were my former friends and colleagues who are just doing their job. Where as I didn't think twice about mowing down waves of MJ12 agents.

Modern games just don't have that kind of replayability because developers hate "wasting" resources on portions of the game some players might not see.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
TitanAura said:
Unless you count the FIRST Duke Nukem review, I think is the only time Yahtzee has reviewed a game by never actually talking about it.

Re-read the title
Oh... whoops. My mind sort of skipped that detail for some reason.

Hertzila

Apr 5, 2010
While I enjoyed Human Revolution very much and IMO it really shines in the story(-telling) department (without too many 'cameos' from the original), Yahtzee is going to tear it apart on the gameplay side. No firearm skills or any skills for that matter, cover-based shooting (though I'd argue it comes more in handy for stealthing, which might be worse), regenerating health and bioelectricity...
Plus the gameplay side felt a bit depth-less occasionally. Not enough to be a big problem but every now and then it felt that there were only two specializations: combat and stealth, instead of the promised hacking and social specializations too.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
No making fun of the French terrorists? Well I'll let it pass this time Yahtzee.

thethingthatlurks said:
Oh, an interesting review of one of the best games of all times. It's funny, the story of Deus Ex should be terrible. You have multiple conspiracies, genetic experimentation, Illuminati, the UN, the chinese mafia, corporations, etc, but it all makes sense! That's what makes the game so great, at least in my view.
Deus Ex is sort of like NOLF - both went all out and managed to pull it together. NOLF was more overtly a parody, which did give it some more cushion, but Deus Ex just managed to play the parody with a straight face.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
It was with a whimsical bit of irony that just as Yahtzee was talking about RPG elements such as lockpicking skill, a popup for Neverwinter showed up at the bottom of the video. Or was that planned? I can never tell. Maybe it's subliminal advertising.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I bought the original Deus Ex and played it for the first time only when it was on sale on Steam for its 10th anniversary. I'd heard a lot of really good things about it, but while I expected it to be good, I thought most of that was probably just nostalgia on the part of people talking who'd played it back when it was released.

I was wrong. Despite the fact that it was 10 years old and I was playing it for the first time, it still blew me away. The graphics are pretty much the only part of it that's aged to any great degree and I honestly stopped being bothered by them after the first level or so. It's a brilliant game, and definitely one of the best I've ever played.

I'm looking forward to the Human Revolution review next week. Personally, I thought it lived up to the legacy of the original, but it'll be interesting to see Yahtzee's take on it. I can see him complaining about the boss fights, and maybe the omnipresent chest-high cover.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I always hoped that he'll do a review for my favorite game. It was good but I was expecting more.
The same feeling I got when playing DXHR.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Squilookle said:
Exterminas said:

Isn't that more or less exactly what everyone said about Invisible War when it first came out?
Yes. And that is exactly the reason why most people considered Invisible War to be crap.
But even invisible war had more freedom than Human Revolution.

My personal theory to why Human Revolution is hailed as such a great game is that it is the first Deus Ex that got marketed to consoles in a vast amount.

Of course I am not trying to claim that console players are retards or something like that, but I figure that amongst console players the chance of getting a Deus-Ex-Virgin is the highest. Resulting in a lack of comparison.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
You get no slithering on lips, in fact you don't get any say in the matter. Instead you hide in the corner for a bit and move on.

Yahtzee, I wish you luck with Human Resources.

PS: Keep an eye out for the room that looks like it was flour bombed!

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I really liked Human Revolution. I found the story, themes (cyberpunk renaissance), characters and gameplay to all be of very high quality. I sill haven't played the original (I was only 7 at the time of it's release date) but I think I might download it of steam soon.

A little side note but, Human Revolution reminded me of Ghost in the Shell so much. This is a good thing. Ghost in the Shell is my favourite anime.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
Finally someone points out the correct pronunciation of the title. I know it is evil of me, but a part of me cringes every time I hear "Doose" Ex and a second little part of me loses a smidge of respect from the person whose mouth uttered those words. Alright, I lose a lot of respect.

Completely agree with the retro-review. I remember when Deus Ex initially came out and I had fortunately befriended an upper-class schoolmate a couple of years previously (i.e. he could afford a good computer). Playing it for the first time was intense. Definitely one of those memorable moments when you think, "This is different, this sets the bar."

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Tinybear said:
5: Bosses can take 100 bullets from a minigun in the body/head, without dying... And they can step on 4 frag mines. (I played it on normal difficulty)
I chose "Give me Deus Ex", and the third 'boss' tanked literally 200 minigun (modded for max capacity and damage) rounds in the head like nobody's business.

Thankfully, if you ran around enough, you could actually quicksave on that one.

Here's my full comments on the game

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Results? Mediocre at best. With extra cheese. Couldn't help thinking "when is this going to end?" a few times. No morality choice, only a choice of how to do what you're told, and accept/reject side quests (exp).

A few steps in the right direction (back to blocky inventory), a few in the wrong (regenerating health, etc - refer to minor issues below) since Invisible war.

However there was no excuse for the unskippable intro and appalling ending*.

Aaaand it goes on....

Also felt more way more like a shooter than a free roamer. Sure the cities are big - I even got lost a couple of times - but there are TWO, and you can't even choose which one to go to, the story does that for you.

I really liked the developed stealth mechanism, as well as the massive rewards for exploring (as well as staying quiet). The "social side" on the other hand was cool and all, but I never saw any real benefits to it.

Deciding to go off my previous experience, I decided to be a hacker and put all of my advancement points in to that, and the games were fun as well as rewarding. It worked pretty well when I went around stealth exploring and 'pacifying' enemies. However during boss fights, and in one certain other scene**, I felt a little overwhelmed (thankfully I had a nuclear stockpile on me after taking out almost every NPC by hand). There was no indication as to how much health I still had to chip away at since flat out unloaded 200 bullets into one of the bosses heads doesn't seem to work (yes I did, and the heavy rifle with four expansion mods) - I understand the need for unrealism sometimes, but Jesus H Christ, this is worse than Final Fantasy bosses. I actually can't wait until they start making stealth bosses (ie: you can assassinate them, they can assassinate you).

One thing that caught my attention early on was that you only had one recharging cell, and I thought "ok, maybe if I buy more" *buzzer*EEEEEE. So you can knock out one person but then you have to wait until you can... PUNCH or CHOKE the next one? Seriously? Even I could do better. Same goes for falling from a 3m height before the leg and back augmentations (I do appreciate that with all that metal he can be heavier, but how does that factor in to the fleshy bits getting damaged?), or climbing altogether like IW did.

Then I remembered that "oh wait, but you shouldn't be able to use your augments ad infinitum". That's when it hit me: There are only four. None of which I really used within the context of the game. What happened to the original when I used to have loads active?

*RANT*Ok, ok, you can say it's not the future - how do you explain away regenerating health, immunity to gas AND electricity (and a convenient absence of underwater sections)? "Good DNA" doesn't hack it for me, and "experimental augs" shouldn't be that experimental since he's still not military. Even Alex in the future doesn't have this stuff. (Also please explain this to me: are all 3 games set within like 20 years of each other? */RANT*

Moreover the "four things you can activate" seems to me at least to be the dreaded "consolification syndrome". No, they did a great job trying to make it not feel consoley, it being a computer game and all, but that interface/suggestion with them four together, conversation arrangement and hacking got me. Why not just set up right click to nuke, keep space as slow, then left click to either capture or defend. More than once I pressed the wrong thing trying to rush through in the time.

Getting back to the well designed one-hit-[knockout/kill] system, it worked fairly well - albeit having a hiccup or two with physics or detection. So well that it well over half way through the game before I realised that you couldn't actually use any melee weapons. If you knocked someone out, you'd have to use a gun to kill them - that or throw them over a ledge or in to electricity. To be honest, I did try drowning and gassing them, but they seem ed quite content to sleep on in these circumstances. Guess they don't have to breathe when they sleep (unlike the original).

Another thing that really got me was the mines. It was only later that I saw a tip that you had to approach them slowly... as opposed to running at them to defuse them quickly. I wouldn't say that's either good or bad - just different, possibly a bit unexpected too.

Note: I didn't actually intend for it to be this long.

Final review: worth say 14 pounds new.

PS: here's a skip intro file to copy in to the main folder:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944090-deus-ex-human-revolution/60137370?page=2

http://www.mediafire.com/?9w9qr7um9zzodtu

Spoiler alert

*You get 4 buttons to choose which ending you want >.>

**Construction site - making the chopper NOT blow up on the hardest difficulty, while stealth/hack specked.

Good points:

YOU CAN SAVE AT YOUR OWN FREE WILL

Quicksave/load F5/F8 INVALUABLE

Headshotting actually works.

No "unlocking difficulties".

There's a point to hiding bodies.

Open worldy/explore atmosphere apart from first mission, and later.

Sometimes comically bad, and monotone voice acting XD

Remembers where weapons or items were dropped.

Don't have to repeatedly reload when going in/out of some buildings (however a longer load time - not too much of an issue unless you're dying all the time).

MINOR ISSUES:

Throw him off the roof quest lady tells you to still throw him off the roof even when you plant drugs, but if you do, you fail the quest.

NPC after getting awakened by team mate pulls a pistol out of his arse. Otherwise he'll sleep forever. They also pull ammo from there too.

AI doesn't look very far for you after you disappear.

AI doesn't care about friends (who were patrolling) disappearing.

Crouch and ironsights only have toggle, however that doesn't really matter since you're stuck in crouch more often than not, and ironsights don't really do anything when you get an aug/lasersights/paint a dot on your screen.

No lockpicks for obvious but closed doors/gates.

A few times in the Sarif building, people sitting down would stare at you and not the person they're talking to.

Sarif building - all the elevators only go tro one spot and back. Whatever happened to using them normally?

Ladder climbing feels very rigid (you have to use the "use" key).

One mission chopper doesn't follow you back to the home building, even if you go on foot.

Cameras are ALWAYS evil.

Pancheya building: cardboard doesn't burn out, it just keeps burning.As a hacker with electricity protection, AND using pheromones on the creator of augs the" last boss" was laughable. All I had to do was hide. While the other bosses I died at least a few times, before I even figured out what I was doing (1: Tazer, combat rifle; 2: electrify everything and jump - run backwards with minigun; 3: Run around like a crazy ************, and quicksave, hoping to get lucky).

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
A note about anti-depressants: most of them have a slightly-rare side effect of "increases thoughts of suicide." So, even though you're slightly happier, you'll think about killing yourself. Ah, drugs...

unwesen

May 16, 2009
I've got to say, fuck these stupid interstitial ads. And yes that's vaguely off topic.

They start a few seconds after the video starts, and completely mess with full screen playback. Either start them at the start, or don't screw with the user experience so badly, please. Preferably both.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
If you don't get what is the text at the end about, watch his review of Guitar Hero World Tour, and wait through the end.

Also, few days ago I just like Yahtz have installed Deux Ex, and it's very playable (after you download 2 gigabytes of community fixes and mods).

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
I've spent about 10 to 15 hours watching TV in the last two weeks... this is an amazing amount of TV for me.

And less than half of it was documentaries!

That's almost unheard of for me.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
CrankyStorming said:
Wait, so the tags list a PS2 port, but the description doesn't? Consistency Is Nice, I thought Yahtzee knew as much.
Yeah I thought that was odd seeing how I have the PS2 port in my desk drawer :D.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well that health system he mentioned seems a little like the Fallout 3 /NV approach... did the more recent fallout games borrow from that or did the old ones have it as well?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
DominicxD said:
Quote from the video that I found funny
Game that came out recently that I want him to review
He is so right about x
Okay people, try posting something that isn't any of the above and stop shitting this website up so much.
I didn't realize we'd dropped down to youtube's level -.-' ...apparently we have.

Seeing as i was just between 7-8 years old when the original came out i never actually played it, and after hearing about the bugs and character models i don't think i will. Hopefully it won't matter to the story too much when i pick up Human Revolution.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
leviadragon99 said:
Well that health system he mentioned seems a little like the Fallout 3 /NV approach... did the more recent fallout games borrow from that or did the old ones have it as well?
This health system used to be quite widely adapted - even Unreal Tournament from 99' used a variation of it.

Nov 12, 2010
I'm one third into HR and I must admit: it might actually be better than the original (I can almost hear "blasphemy" flying to me from all directions right now).

Seriously: dialogues are more engaging, characters are more interesting, combat is more fun. It could benefit from the former's skill system, surely, but hacking in HR more than makes up for it: it's just so much fun I can't help it but hack everything I can get my wet-ware on. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't hack every last one of the computers at the police station, because of all the cop tossers watching me from every angle. I might go back and kick their sorry asses, so that I finally can, I am really tempted to do that.

The only thing that might be better is the voice acting, but it really is on par with the original, which had its rough edges in that department as well (Adam sounds really cool though, the best voice actor there, period. Dirty Harry reference, wink, wink). Musically, however, the original is still the king, but I mind you that "Deus Ex" had an exceptional soundtrack, HR has a very moody ambient one, but it's not all that memorable. It does help shape the atmosphere though and for any other game that would be more than enough. It is enough for this one as well, it's just such a pity that they couldn't at least be a little closer to that of the original in terms of memorability.

If HR proves to be this good until the very end, I shall call "better" on it.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Considering the pedestal upon which he placed the first Portal, this game could potentially be an experience equated with celestial voyage through the cosmic seas to the sounds of his favourite Beatles albums and John Romero being strangled to death, but it would still not live up to what he appears to percieve as the zenith of PC gaming. He may very well like the game but he'll never admit to it coming close to the original, though it will be interesting to hear what he says nonetheless.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Back in its day, it was right up there with Thief, Baldur's Gate and Fallout for being able to accomplish missions different ways with varying consequences and that's something that really added fun to this game.

Granted, every criticism he had of this game was valid, and Deus Ex certainly wasn't without its warts. On the other hand, it had all the elements of a great game put together properly and that's why to this day, it gets an honorable mention in my book for an awesome game.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
okay now I'm really excited to see his reaction to Human Revolution :]

Deus Ex, from everything I've heard in the past few years, has really gotten me interested. okay so I saw my friend playing it on his laptop and it looked ugly, but I've been playing movie games for laughs recently so think I'm used to ugly visuals...meaning if the gameplay is soliddd then whoooo

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Yeah I don't like the original Deus Ex all that much. I tried to like it, more than once, even when it originally came out and the graphics didn't seem so atrocious. I think the biggest problem with it it's that it's just not very compelling in the first few hours. There was nothing in the game that kept me wanting to go back to it (that, and the tranquilizer darts gun pissed me off exactly because of what Yahtzee said). And I quite like RPGs, even more so at the time.

And it's not the graphics. Last year I replayed the original Half-Life and Fallout 1 and 2 and still found them to be a blast.

Now, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is another story and I'm liking it a lot. I feel it is the Deus Ex experience I wanted to have at the time, but couldn't get because I found the first hours of the original game kinda boring.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Exterminas said:
Speak for yourself.

I played the original Deus Ex back in the day, and I still find Human Revolution to be better in every single way.

It's certainly not perfect, but the flaws are few and far between.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I've waited for DeusEx:HR for a long time but half way through the game, I'm completely dissapointed. So here's my 0.02 dollars:

Tip 1: the all mighty Silencer. If you expect to be able to buy it from the store, get your ass on google and make sure you find out where it is in the game. Otherwise, you'll miss all of them. Like I almost did.

Tip 2: Don't spend weapon upgrades in anything but the Heavy Rifle and the 10 mm pistol. And only keep EMP grenades (and a few frags for the first boss). Everything else is useless.

I play the game on the hardest difficulty and the firefights are tough. Especially the bosses. But the AI is so bloody stupid that a big firefight is hard to find in this game. The experience you get from killing is a sad joke. Consider these tactics:

1. stealth your way in the base, bypass every enemy... no exp, except for the "ghost" achievement.
2. knock out every enemy, one by one, keep them alive, you get 50 exp per enemy, plus the "ghost" achiev.
3. silently kill every enemy by cutting them with a blade (30 exp) or shooting them in the head with a silenced weapon (20 exp), and you again get "ghost".
4. shoot every enemy with a rocket launcher then carefully move your ass 5 meters around the corner and wait for the guards to say the famous last words "all quiet now, nobody here", then repeat. You again get 20 exp per body and the freakin "ghost" achiev.

So, you'll be tempted to stealth your way through the game, open each stupid lock and computer, just to get those upgrade points. Unfortunately only a few of those are really useful (inventory, armor, aim and recoil and a bit of hacking), so you'll end up maxing out before you reach the half point of the game. And be bored out of existence by endless hacking scenes which give you absolutely nothing... I actually had to reinvent my style of play, from stealth to silenced pistol stealth. Only to find out just how bad the game really is. Once you no longer wait 10 minutes to clear a room silently, you realize just how small the levels are and how little there is to do or break, how linear the entire thing is and how boring and predictable the story is. Even with the awful graphics, I'd rather play the original Deus Ex. It was good for a reason.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Pescetarian said:
Wait, wait, wait a second here. Why does Yahtzee show Gordon Freeman running away from the Gonarch as an example of a game that doesn't let you do that? The Gonarch is the only boss that doesn't let you do that in the whole damn game! You can run away from all the tanks and helicopters in Half-Life without shooting them, it just makes it a lot harder...just like Deus Ex!
What do you mean? The first Tentacle boss fight, the Nihilanth.

You can also run away from the Gargantua as well, but you still had to trap and face it.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
The original Deus Ex is the best game of all time, in my opinion. So much complexity, so much variety. I don't care about the graphics; I want a good storyline and a versatile and complex gameplay. Deus Ex surely delivers.

This game is a triumph of game design. It's what games should strive for - great gameplay and a great storyline. I remember reading reviews for this game 11 years ago and I really wanted to play it, but it was so badly optimized I couldn't play it properly. So I finally got to play it in 2004. and my mind was blown away. I replayed it this year before playing HR and it's still the best game ever made. Fuck graphics when you have such a rich game, and it's a shame more people don't think the same.

I like it how the game is growing in popularity every year. It's still selling on steam and pretty well so. Games like Bioshock or Mass Effect pale in comparison with Deus Ex because unlike those games, it truly merges more genres and actually justifies the RPG classification in it's genre tag. I pity everyone who dismissed this game purely on graphics. What a shame. What a rotten way to dismiss a game.

With all that being said, Human Revolution was amazing, except the end was kind of lacking. It's still the best game in years and a definite GOTY winner for me; it still isn't as great as the original which will hardly ever be surpassed.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Woodsey said:
I predict 4 minutes on the awful boss fights, 30 seconds recommending the game because it really is quite good.

And by quite, I mean I'd have sex with the disc if I was still some pre-historic caveman who bought his games from real shops.
You forgot the obligatory 10 seconds devoted to cover systems, knee high walls, and regenerating health.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yahtzee said:
Why hasn't any other video game character ever thought of that?
Presumably because for most other video game characters all the doors lock whenever a boss shows up.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
I do like the reference at the end of the credits to the 'A BOMB' catchphrase, and I'm glad he didn't use the classic lines in the review, as they would have just been easy material, as well as contradictory of his hatred of referencing pop culture.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I loved Human Revolution, but the sim/emergent situation elements that defined Deus Ex were muted a bit from the original. Part of the reason is that Jensen is a lot easier to kill and the AI sees him a lot more easily, so it's harder to set wacky traps and come up with ridiculous ways to solve a situation without being instantly killed. But it's also partly because the level design was tailored a bit more toward stealth path/action path/hacking path instead of just presenting the player with a gigantic, well-thought out level and saying "Go. Use your smarts and abilities."

I can see this pissing off someone like Yahtzee, and it's definitely bothered a lot of old-school Looking Glass/Deus Ex fans.

Still, I shrug it off because what the game DOES do well is just fantastic.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I'm almost certain that Yahtzee won't be that positive with Human Revolution. Then again maybe I'm being a bit presumptuous.

On an side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that Crossbow totally useless.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
As i recall most fights in baldur's gate can be avoided by just walking out the door you walked in from while the villain does his "You shall never escape my demon! BWA HA ... huh? where'd they go?"

And if I'm not mistaken most of Fallout 1 and Planescape Torment can be won without killing anyone. In fact in Fallout you can convince the last boss that life is just not worth living and he kills himself.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
USA
Pscyon said:
I didn't get past the first hour either. Not when the game was new due to an old crappy monitor which made everything simply too dark (damn you stealth tutorial!) and not now since the game is simply too hard to get into without nostalgia mode which I lack for this particular game.
The first level is BRUTAL. People were telling me all the way back in 2000 how great it was, but I never got into it. I finally played it with a friend in 2010 and fucking loved it. You really have to die a lot if you aren't used to the game and what it is asking of you. Once you get past that point, it becomes pretty clear why everyone says the game is as good as it is.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
The thing that made games like deus ex shine was the choice, the level designs were brilliant, the story was great, and heck as bad as the game looks today, it looked great back when it came it, not as great as it could have but still back in the day some of the visuals were still impressive.

Dunno how anyone says the game does not grab you out of the gate, with the dificulty curve and the first rescue mission i would think most players would either be frustrated by the difficulty and the lack of handholding, or involved in the game.

Deus Ex really get most of its props for being the first game to blend rpg and fps and do it well. And really if you think about its stealth gameplay was one of the early games where that style of gameplay was viable and probably vital to play the game well.

Yea the AI was lacking but if you did get spotted by the AI you were going to be dead in many spots. I remember when i replayed deus ex about a year ago just how much i died, and it was not because of the AI lacking, but because the AI were armed to the teeth and often came in numbers, add to the fact your health was limited and boss encouters needed the majority of that health that managing any health picks up or stations during the game was vital.

Deus Ex Hr seems good glad hes taking another week to review since my windows drive exploded and took everything with it including my DEHR chapter 3 or 4 saves, just when the story was getting interesting. So i am having to start all over.

I think it is somewhat fitting that DEHR and DE will be slammed for gfx above all. I was put off by the character models and animations big time in HR, voice acting is solid enough for me, but everytime i see these characters having a convo i feel like i am watching an episode of thunderbirds with the twitching and the way the mouths and expressions are animated.

But despite that the world and the game play are great to me sofar. I like the hacking not because it does or does not give me XP or cash, but because you find those email convos in wierd places that related directly to what is happening in the story around you.

The guns feel good, yea the heavy gun and some others are just utter fail since they take so long to reload or fire and etc, might be worth cheating in a bunch of reloads and fire rate mods for the heavy just to see at what point its usefulness might kick in vs say my tracking assault rifle that can fire immediately, and my 10m pistol that will one shot just about anything, toss in sniper for backup or a shotgun. All guns feel useful, hell all guns would feel better because depending on what chapter you are on ammo can be hard to come by or one weapon or another, taking assault rifle early on seems rather pointelss since there is not much ammo to be had most of the level, and 2nd or 3rd stage i weas using whatever i could scavenge for whatever gun i could find it would work in at one point because there was no ammo to be bought that i could find.

I think HR will get slammed for all the things people have brought up and so it should, i think it does well for itself in some areas the map design is good, finding alternate paths takes a lot of looking and some even take thinking to get to some places.

The convo system is good the lore is good so we shall see.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Fuck, fuck, FUCK, that's why I hate modern games sometimes.

They have spoiled me and I couldn't get through Deus Ex only until after the concpiracy is revealed because of the way the game looks and the slowdowns on the PS2. If HR is better in these 2 areas, no problem.

I suck, I know. But I am also glad I wasn't the only one with Traq Gun problem. They can afford augs that make you lift tons of weight but not a good anestezic agent?

juffeee

Sep 4, 2010
There is actually a Mod for Deus Ex that remakes the textures. here---> http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
Tinybear said:
It has one of the best and most immersive storylines, and it even has AN ENTIRE CHAPTER that can be skipped if you play your cards right throughout the game. Basically, you get enough intel to give a proper warning in time, and you don't have to go to France.
Okay, I've been playing this game to death since its release, to the point that I could tell you the location of every item or even every secret item, and I've never heard this. How do you skip the Parisian section of the game?

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Halbert said:
Tinybear said:
It has one of the best and most immersive storylines, and it even has AN ENTIRE CHAPTER that can be skipped if you play your cards right throughout the game. Basically, you get enough intel to give a proper warning in time, and you don't have to go to France.
Okay, I've been playing this game to death since its release, to the point that I could tell you the location of every item or even every secret item, and I've never heard this. How do you skip the Parisian section of the game?
There was a series of Rock, Paper, Shotgun articles where the writer claimed you skip Paris, but I seem to recall a bunch of people in the comments saying you actually can't. I'd love to know for sure as well, because I've played the game a million times and always went to Paris.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
Just a few thoughts on the tranquilizer darts.

-Realistically, any tranq dart that knocked a person out cold immediately after impact would have to have so much juice in it that it would kill a man, which sort of defeats the "non-lethal" idea. This is part of why anesthesiologists/nurse anesthetists are so well paid; it's pretty important to balance the drugs somewhere between "Makes you feel slightly drowsy" and "Makes your heart explode."

-From a gameplay perspective, people would declare the tranq darts to be massively OP if they could immediately KO someone. While it would be the smaller, shorter range cousin of the sniper rifle, it would still seriously impact the gameplay. Plus, it would mean never, ever letting the NPCs carry them. Even the NPCs with sniper rifles can be survived.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Halbert said:
Just a few thoughts on the tranquilizer darts.

-Realistically, any tranq dart that knocked a person out cold immediately after impact would have to have so much juice in it that it would kill a man, which sort of defeats the "non-lethal" idea. This is part of why anesthesiologists/nurse anesthetists are so well paid; it's pretty important to balance the drugs somewhere between "Makes you feel slightly drowsy" and "Makes your heart explode."

-From a gameplay perspective, people would declare the tranq darts to be massively OP if they could immediately KO someone. While it would be the smaller, shorter range cousin of the sniper rifle, it would still seriously impact the gameplay. Plus, it would mean never, ever letting the NPCs carry them. Even the NPCs with sniper rifles can be survived.
It doesn't have to be an instant takedown, but it should have been better than what it was, which was basically a "come shoot me everyone!" alarm. Having the guy run around hiccuping and alerting everyone was just frustrating.

Human Revolution actually got it right. It takes about 10 seconds, and then the NPC slowly slumps to the ground.

maetros

Jul 14, 2009
Tinybear said:
You could skip that entire section?! And I thought I was clever for spotting a spy mechanic messing with my helicopter.

Anyway, it seems like a rare case where Yahtzee actually liked the game.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Wow. I've never agreed with a ZP episode more...
And that bit about the first hour being super familiar? So damn true... :p

Nov 12, 2010
Signa said:
The first level is BRUTAL. People were telling me all the way back in 2000 how great it was, but I never got into it. I finally played it with a friend in 2010 and fucking loved it. You really have to die a lot if you aren't used to the game and what it is asking of you. Once you get past that point, it becomes pretty clear why everyone says the game is as good as it is.
I actually played it on hard, as I do most of my games, HR included. ;) Always up for a challenge.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm suprised witcher 2 fans haven't exploded with rage.

I guess they're ignoring his opinion since he started disagreeing with them....

EDIT:
Zakarath said:
Be interesting to see how he recieves HR, as that game does have some of the things he was complaining about. (regenerating health, stupid boss fights, guns you don't need to worry about skill to use)...
I think the gun skills are just different:

Deus ex has guns that are hard to use at first but always very effective.
Human revolution has guns that are always easy to use but not very effective at first.

It's just different.

Also, bad voice acting? Deus ex had great voice acting.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
so basicly people "hate" it for beeing a game where theres a "best way" to play it... WAKE UP PEOPLE you don't have to play with the best build, i played the way I wanted, and I thought the game was rather good, sure i missed out on the explosive revolver and fully upgraded heavy machine gun and stuck to the rather innacurate sniper and tranquilizer gun, brining i 10mm pistol and a assult rifle when things got hairy.

i played by sneaking around the guards with my mighty eye that can see through walls, putting guards to sleep and hacking security hubs to dissable turrets and robots, it all went perfect until *spoiler alert* the game turned into Left4Dead at the very last level where i was just lucky to find a heavy rifle and stumble my way through "zombies"

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
vrbtny said:

That is until you equiq your combat rifle with the Bullet Leading (or whatever it's called) upgrade. Being able to lock on to an enemy and then blind fire and hit with every bullet is sweet. It also makes the boss battles easier

Also...
That is all

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
NameIsRobertPaulson said:

Gears gives the regenerating health, the zero skill required guns, the large bosses, and the cover based shooting while Bioshock gives the decent story and upgrade abilities.

Not even remotely. If Bioshock and Gears of War are the best points of reference you (or whoever was describing it) have for the types of gameplay in HR, then you're in for a treat.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I was looking forward for you "reviewing" this game Yahtzee so thank you for that.Funny as hell.

I'm quite surprised that he went through playing Deus Ex 1 first before heading to Human Revolution and making a retrospective "review" before continuing with the newest release.

I am "guilty" of doing the same thing with playing the first game,before diving into the third so I could get accustomed to the mechanics(I didn't own a computer when the first game so released so had no chance of playing it until now).

PS: The High Def Texture pack patch really helped me tolerate the rusty graphics and pushed me further to finish the game.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Irriduccibilli said:
vrbtny said:

That is until you equiq your combat rifle with the Bullet Leading (or whatever it's called) upgrade. Being able to lock on to an enemy and then blind fire and hit with every bullet is sweet. It also makes the boss battles easier

Also...
That is all
Yeah my silent combat rifle with tracking ability and laser precision begs to differ. It was great in the
Boss fight where you lose your augs. Rather easy when you realize that you can turn on tracking still and lock on and unload a clip into Chuck Liddel.

Also sniper rifle with laser sight = fire from the hip ManCannon.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Oh thank Christ; Yahtzee had me going at the start there. I was afraid for a moment that he was pronouncing 'Deus Ex' the retarded way, but then it turned out to be a joke and then 'day-us ex' entered the room in fiery glory.

Still, looking forward to the Human Revolution review next week and seeing what he decides to rip apart. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't mention that the game kind of locks you out of a lot of stuff if you don't upgrade hacking skills early.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I usually make it to Hong Kong before I give up on Deus Ex, I beat it the first time but had to use a guide to keep focused because I got tired of missing so many places. I have the second one on steam and i made it to the part where you have to kill a bunch of chumps in a warehouse and got sick of the ammo system. Need to redo them both before getting HR.

Anyone have any tips on how to make Invisible War less tedious? I want to play through it to get caught up since Deus Ex 1 had such a clever story, at least so I can be on the same page when HR goes down in price.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Not well optimised? Rubbish. I got the original to run on a P90. And while it looked like crap at the time, it hasn't aged that badly because it still managed to be atmospheric. Compare to IW, which completely failed in that department.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
AT God said:
Anyone have any tips on how to make Invisible War less tedious? I want to play through it to get caught up since Deus Ex 1 had such a clever story, at least so I can be on the same page when HR goes down in price.
The only thing I can suggest is to spec for melee with silent running. Saves loads of ammo, so you can afford to use things like the energy rifle and sniper rifle when you need them. You also end up with mostly passive powers so you don't need to fool around with energy issues.

It's still going to be tedious. You could just recap the story off the Deus Ex wiki and spend all that time playing a game that doesn't bore you instead.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
AT God said:
Get these biomods, preferably in this order and upgrade them ASAP:

Neural Interface
Move Silently
Bot Domination
Thermal Masking
Spy Drone

Use these weapons:

Energy Blade
Pistol (Or Red Greasel Hunter)
Mag Rail (Use shotgun until you find it)
Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher

Take every piece of food and drink you can get, because it is way more effective than medkits.

Always take Sid Black as your pilot for your first playthrough.

Always stay on the Omar's good side and buy their biomod canisters until all your black market ones are upgraded.

Have fun!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I sorta agree with Yahtzee, the people who would remember the game are either old or PC retro. The people who would get Human Revolution would get it either because they had the original growing up or bought it on the box art whim. Doesn't help that press always circles around three MAJOR games at any given time, and Dues Ex sorta jumped into that spot.

The game is either really good or really devious and fooling everyone to THINK its the first one. But that doesn't stop it from being good, its just I can't see a point to trying to start up the franchise again. Its like with Halo, I said.
"Good, now the team can actually make something new."
E3 Halo 4 announcement later.
"Never mind...."

Its just I don't see much of a point. If they wanted to do another game in the series and try to rejunivate it into the personal minds of the public once more. I can tell they succeeded.
Now to wait.
*waits patiently*

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
-Dragmire- said:
It'll be a letdown, like all sequels. >.>
That'll be the be the aftermath. First, we need to create a tonne of hype and say it's streamlined with less swearing to appeal to a larger audience.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Apr 21, 2020
San Diego, CA
Country
US
How do you - Yahtzee and some posters - expect a tranquilizer to work? Deus Ex was kind of cool in that a tranq dart is (A) felt by the victim, (B) takes time to knock them out, and (C) they can't be easily revived. Sure, that means it's not always the easiest weapon to use, but it's still "easy mode" in that game. Lean out, pop off a shot, lean back before it even reaches its target, back around a corner, wait for them to pass out. Repeat as necessary.

In DX:HR, supposedly a prequel, they've managed to make a tranquilizer dart that the target doesn't feel anything whatsoever upon being stabbed by a fast moving sharp object that sticks in their flesh. This will knock them unconscious through any ensuing activity unless somebody waves a hand in front of their face, at which point they immediately wake up. At least that adds some challenge to the whole thing.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Hmm ... Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 2 are definitely, in my opinion, the pinnacle of FPS. That said, I really didn't mind Deus Ex: Invisible War that much. I actually quite liked the atmosphere - the dystopian hopelessness of Deus Ex was still there I felt. The problem is that some maps simply didn't have the 'lived in' feel that I find from Fallout maps, the only game series to reliably include places to crap (or drink from, depending on how thirsty you are).

It would have been fun in Deus Ex to just lurk in the toilets for hours ... eliminating people silently as they came in and hide their bodies in one of the cubicles. Much like my weekends ... m(~.~)m

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:
Daikatana was better than... UT03 sadly....
Thankfully UT04 made up for some of those shortcomings (UT04 is to UT03 like Windows 7 is to Windows Vista; everything the previous one should have been!)

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
For anyone who wants to now reinstall Deus Ex, here's a great guide to make it look less fugly: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0854a290a60f2a59dea9f056e769faa3&t=1235278

TIP: If you install all this, remember to hit shift-F12 at some point every time you launch the game to turn on the nicer lighting (which also improves the textures imo).

The author's initial THIS to THAT example pics aren't a great representation, but the mods do greatly improve the visuals, especially the lighting and some choice environment textures. It made getting back into Deus Ex much easier for me. In fact, I beat the game (started cheating about halfway through to reach the deadline) before Human Revolution came out ^^

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
As for HR, I don't think it's as ambitious or mechanically deep as the original, but it's still excellent. I think they improved over the original in the areas of stealth mechanics, hacking (the mini-game part), story-telling, AI and aesthetic unity/harmony. Well, by story-telling, I just mean HR has TONS of people to talk to, which story you like more is just preference. I found myself missing multi-tools, especially since the game basically mandates you spill tons of points into hacking.

The social side of HR's gameplay is superior, but I think the original still comes out on top in terms of the core gameplay (the sneaking missions).

DX:HR is a game that's so good, the many many little shortcomings stand out all the more. There's so many moments where you'll think, "that was good, but if they had just taken it a little further or tweaked this, it'd jump up to prodigious."

A, relatively, big negative is that HR lacks the sheer variety (most of which were interesting too) of paths Deus Ex had. Sure, HR does have multiple ways of doing things, but it still feels like it suffers a bit from on-the-rails-itis compared to the original (that was bad wording, it's definitely NOT on-the-rails, but you know what I meant? Right?).

Bottom line, well worth $50. Coming from someone who has never been the biggest stealth game fan. Although, I did love Hitman: Blood Money. Oh yeah, and the boss fights are rage-inducing, especially on hard, until you figure out a not-readily apparent tactic. For example, if I leave the cover of this wall, I'll die instantly (and have 20 times already). WTF DO I DO!?! Moments like that though, do make your victory all the more sweet, but I'm not sure the pure frustration that are the boss fights are worth it overall (on hard).

Also: food is freaking rare on hard!! I wantz to use mai powaz moar :)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Am I the only person in the world who really really really liked Deus Ex Invisible War? I've never played Deus Ex 1, but I bought the third partially on the merits of the second game. And it's pretty good, too.

Kennian

Apr 20, 2009
i dont have time to read all of this, sorry if it's been said, but there are mods for Deus Ex that fix a lot of the graphical problems... google it!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's probably not worth it. Like Yahtzee said, it hasn't aged very well.

I think I played through about half an hour before getting completely bored, modern standards for action are too high.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
zelda2fanboy said:
Am I the only person in the world who really really really liked Deus Ex Invisible War? I've never played Deus Ex 1, but I bought the third partially on the merits of the second game. And it's pretty good, too.
Someone once said, "Invisible War has the unfortunate disadvantage of being the sequel to Deus Ex. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's no where near as good as the first." Which really sums it up. If you played the first, there's an expectation that the brand name generates, which basically dooms it right away.

Jozxyqk

Jul 21, 2011
Once again Yahtzee continues his trend of retrospectively reviewing games that have been name-dropped in several past reviews. And I had my money on Beyond Good & Evil for the 3rd time in a row.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Very good call on covering the original game before the new'un. I just got through playing it again for about the 20th time, before starting DX:HR. It's odd, everyone hates on the dated graphics, but I've never found it to be a problem. At all. I just don't notice it. I bought G. K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday because of that game, it's brilliant.

"First of all, what is it really all about? What is it you object to? You want to abolish Government?"

"To abolish God!" said Gregory, opening the eyes of a fanatic. "We do not only want to upset a few despotisms and police regulations; that sort of anarchism does exist, but it is a mere branch of the Nonconformists. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of vice and virtue, honour and treachery, upon which mere rebels base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the French Revolution talked of the Rights of Man! We hate Rights as we hate Wrongs. We have abolished Right and Wrong."

"And Right and Left," said Syme with a simple eagerness, "I hope you will abolish them too. They are much more troublesome to me."

BookBeast

Jan 2, 2010
Thank you, Yahtzee! I've been hoping to see a Zero Punctuation retrospective review of Deus Ex ever since you mentioned it was one of your favorites.

I too hope that someone will re-release it with better graphics - and if that ever happens, I hope it won't be exclusive to the PC (I'm a Mac and Xbox person nowadays).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
-Dragmire- said:
It'll be a letdown, like all sequels. >.>
That'll be the be the aftermath. First, we need to create a tonne of hype and say it's streamlined with less swearing to appeal to a larger audience.
Zero Punctuation: Now rated G.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
uguito-93 said:

And I get the feeling he really doesnt like John Romero, but that could just be me.
Really who DOES like John Romero?

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I had a feeling it was gonna be something Deus Ex related this week. Glad to hear what Yahtzee had to say about the Deus Ex games, well mostly the first one. Really looking forward to next week.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Firia said:
zelda2fanboy said:
Someone once said, "Invisible War has the unfortunate disadvantage of being the sequel to Deus Ex. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's no where near as good as the first." Which really sums it up. If you played the first, there's an expectation that the brand name generates, which basically dooms it right away.
never mind misread

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
It's too bad the game aged badly. I'll probably resort to wikipedia-ing the plot of the first game, then jumping straight into #2

Skizzo321

Jan 18, 2010
Funny how he gave people grief for saying deus as "deuce," yet goes on to mispronounce "macramé."

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
May 12, 2020
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
theriddlen said:
Also, few days ago I just like Yahtz have installed Deux Ex, and it's very playable (after you download 2 gigabytes of community fixes and mods).
Which fixes and mods would these be? I have an original installation that still works perfectly well, but it would be nice to make it even better.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
USA
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
Signa said:
I actually played it on hard, as I do most of my games, HR included. ;) Always up for a challenge.
Hm, see, I didn't think that the beginning of DE was hard as much as just "what the fuck I'm I supposed to do? I think it wants me to do this *fail* Ok, guess not, let's try this *fail* Maybe I built my character's stats wrong? *Fail*"

Nothing I did seemed to be good enough for the game. The area was too open for stealth, there was no real gobs of ammo and weapons to go in full assault, and exploring seemed impossible while there were so many bad guys and robots around. It wasn't until those few hours taking turns dying with my friend did I find that you didn't need the ammo I thought you needed, and enemies are actually blind and deaf, as long as you know how to exploit their bad AI and patrol routes.

Having played the Thief series previously probably didn't help with the stealth much either. It just has different expectations for the player.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
ewhac said:
theriddlen said:
Which fixes and mods would these be? I have an original installation that still works perfectly well, but it would be nice to make it even better.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0854a290a60f2a59dea9f056e769faa3&t=1235278

EDIT: Right I didn't even read the "original installation" part. These instructions are obviously for the Steam release, but maybe you can get it working on the original? I'm not sure, you'll have to research it. At the very least, that link contains links to several nice graphical improvement mods for Deus Ex.

That'll make the game look much better, especially the lighting. Really helped me get back into it. As far as fixes go, I have no idea. But I didn't experience any bugs at all in my playthrough after installing the above stuff. I have the Steam, GOTY edition.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
ewhac said:
theriddlen said:
Shifter [http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1] - fixes some remaining bugs, spruces up gameplay

New Vision [http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision] - High-res textures

HDTP [http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp] - Higher poly models (not finished, only a few models right now, but still nice)

Deus Ex Revision [http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision] - A remake of some levels that were bland (optional, but I like it quite a bit so far)

Kentie's Launcer [http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm] - UI and rendering updates (very nice)

Deus-Ex Enhanced [http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced] - Fixes some more UI stuff

Go on to ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/] to look them up.

Takes a little to get them to work together, but it's awesome when they do.

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
Pscyon said:
I'll be crucifed for this but I've never played the other Deus Ex games and I really like Deus Ex HR

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Helscreama said:
I'll be crucifed for this but I've never played the other Deus Ex games and I really like Deus Ex HR
Isn't the contrary?
At this point, the hysteria behind this game already achieve critical mass at the point of anyone who do a little critic will be attacked by the fanwatchers.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
You can kill 10 year olds in Deus Ex. I am sure Yahtzee appreciated that very, very much. Sadly, you can't do it in HR.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:

Not even remotely. If Bioshock and Gears of War are the best points of reference you (or whoever was describing it) have for the types of gameplay in HR, then you're in for a treat.
Then what would you say in a fair comparison for Deus Ex?

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
ewhac said:
theriddlen said:
Well, mine didn't work (colors and sounds were glitched). I followed this tutorial: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Now he's got my anticipation building. On one hand, I'd like to see what he has to say about Human Revolution, especially after revisiting the famous original title, but on the other hand, I dread the all-but-inevitable cutting to ribbons of a game I really, really enjoyed.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
May 12, 2020
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
fuzzy logic said:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=0854a290a60f2a59dea9f056e769faa3&t=1235278
McShizzle said:
Shifter [http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1] - fixes some remaining bugs, spruces up gameplay

New Vision [http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision] - High-res textures

HDTP [http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp] - Higher poly models (not finished, only a few models right now, but still nice)

Deus Ex Revision [http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision] - A remake of some levels that were bland (optional, but I like it quite a bit so far)

Kentie's Launcer [http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm] - UI and rendering updates (very nice)

Deus-Ex Enhanced [http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced] - Fixes some more UI stuff

Go on to ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/] to look them up.

Takes a little to get them to work together, but it's awesome when they do.
Thank you both very kindly for the pointers. I'll be chasing those down tonight.

Nov 12, 2010
Signa said:
Having played the Thief series previously probably didn't help with the stealth much either. It just has different expectations for the player.
Didn't play Thief before "Deus Ex" (the only one I played was "The Deadly Shadows"), but I used the same tactics I used in Thief: baton the hell out of them unnoticed. ^_^ That's what I call "guerrilla" style of gameplay, not really stealth, since you leave corpses behind, but rather stealthy assault (MGS3 had the same style of gameplay for me).

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I don't get it. I really really don't get it. I don't understand the love for this game, and I never have. Its unituitive, its dull, its clunky and unpolished. The graphics are awful as well but that has absolutely nothing to do with my hate for this game.

I clicked on the review hoping Yahtzee would be the first critic to tear it a new one (since he normally seems to hate unintuitive gameplay and we tend to have similar tastes in games) but it sounds like even he found it quite good. I'm just at a loss now to be honest, I feel like I've played an entirely different game to everyone else, and I'm really starting to lose interest in what other gamers think about games since the majority seem to have such different opinions to me and discussing it all is so futile.

I've been playing Human Revolution and it absolutely destroys Deus Ex in every. single. way. The irony is, it's not even an excellent game. Its very good, and probably in my top 5 games of this year, but thats it. But it does everything Deus Ex did in a more entertaining, fluent, intuitive way. It is totally beyond me, how anyone can say a dated dinosaur of a game like Deus Ex can in any way hold a candle to Human Revolution, or for that matter, any decent game released in the last 5 years.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
sad truth about nostalgia: people like to delete impleasant parts of their memories. deus ex might have done many things well, yet it's no alibi that would make me play it just because everyone older than me says they did. Same with half life, Black Mesa is the only chance I'll ever try the franchise(continuity reasons).

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
That about sums up my feelings when I tried to play Deus Ex for the first time recently. It really hasn't aged well.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
IMO the Witcher 2 is better the Deus Ex Human Revolution.

DEHR is a good game, just the Witcher 2 is an excellent game!

NerfedFalcon

Infinity Unlimited Flame!
Apr 3, 2020
Nothing about the awkward aiming that puts all awkward aiming before and since to absolute shame, where you have to stand still like an idiot pointing your gun at anything for 20 seconds before you can hit the broadside of a barn at ten paces, even if you're at Master level for that gun?

...Huh.

Fritos

Sep 1, 2011
I think what makes Deus Ex such a great game is quite simply because it never felt like it was trying to be something it wasn't. Despite all it's flaws, it became something unique and I think the developers were in tune with that. Even though the voice acting was atrocious, animations ridiculous, and a lot of the 'solutions' to levels being downright clunky, I don't think any other game has enthralled and immersed me quite as much, because something about the way it was designed was just intuitively thought out. It just oozes brilliance on a level that seems genuinely human, and not systematically manufactured.

I realize most gamers aren't connoisseurs and the current market for games has made a clear distinction behind what is considered "good design" and "bad design", and Deus Ex definitely has more bullet-points from the latter, but I'm hard pressed to name a game that feels like it has more of a soul.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
If not for the comments on this video, I never would have known about Yahtzee's Deus Ex song. So good job commenters, that was brilliant.

Now I'm wondering what else I've missed by stopping ZP videos at the credits section.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
USA
Signa said:
Didn't play Thief before "Deus Ex" (the only one I played was "The Deadly Shadows"), but I used the same tactics I used in Thief: baton the hell out of them unnoticed. ^_^ That's what I call "guerrilla" style of gameplay, not really stealth, since you leave corpses behind, but rather stealthy assault (MGS3 had the same style of gameplay for me).
yeah, but your blackjack didn't have ammo like the prod charger does, and I rarely, even when I get the jump on a guy, have him go down in one hit. The retracting prod was worse because usually I have to beat them a lot before they go down. It might have to with the fact that there are melee headshots (or so it would seem while I'm playing) in Deus Ex which is something I've not seen in any games before or much after. In Thief, as long as the foe didn't know I was there, I could smack them on the ass with the blackjack and get an instant KO.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
AverageJoe said:
I don't get it. I really really don't get it. I don't understand the love for this game, and I never have. Its unituitive, its dull, its clunky and unpolished. The graphics are awful as well but that has absolutely nothing to do with my hate for this game.

I clicked on the review hoping Yahtzee would be the first critic to tear it a new one (since he normally seems to hate unintuitive gameplay and we tend to have similar tastes in games) but it sounds like even he found it quite good. I'm just at a loss now to be honest, I feel like I've played an entirely different game to everyone else, and I'm really starting to lose interest in what other gamers think about games since the majority seem to have such different opinions to me and discussing it all is so futile.

I've been playing Human Revolution and it absolutely destroys Deus Ex in every. single. way. The irony is, it's not even an excellent game. Its very good, and probably in my top 5 games of this year, but thats it. But it does everything Deus Ex did in a more entertaining, fluent, intuitive way. It is totally beyond me, how anyone can say a dated dinosaur of a game like Deus Ex can in any way hold a candle to Human Revolution, or for that matter, any decent game released in the last 5 years.
I don't understand anything in your post. Why is the gameplay unintuitive, unless you suffer from ADHD? It's a game that has a very rich and detailed world, excellent level design approachable in many ways. I suggest you watch this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOIx_i8dTLA] to see why we love this game so much. It has NOTHING to do with nostalgia. The game has complexity and depth, and every game released in the past 10 years just pales in comparison during this cookie cutter bastardized streamlined era.
I have played the game for the first time 7 years ago and replayed it numerous times because I always try different approaches with alternative solutions, find out different dialogue bits and new areas.

The game is a beacon of brilliant design and if you think it doesn't hold a candle to mediocre modern games like Bioshock, I sincerely pity you and everyone else who can't appreciate a game despite a dated look. It's noteworthy how the game grows in popularity every year. Lots of people have played it for the first time in the past few years and had a blast so no, no nostalgia here. And everyone reinstalls it every time it gets a mention. No other game gets the same treatment.

Apart from the dated look, Deus Ex didn't age at all. It's a timeless classic that has yet to be surpassed, but at this rate never will be because every developer caters to the widest audience possible, removing such depth and complexity.

edit
Here's [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeoQEJkGW1I] the intro with graphic mods for you guys who don't know whether they'll be turned off by the dated look. Decide for yourself if this is decent enough.

Ithikial

Jan 21, 2010
Still the best game ever made in my book. I think we can chalk this game as one that Yahtzee likes.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Helscreama said:
Pscyon said:
You're fine. :) Those that should be in fear of judgment are those that say "I liked Invisible War." Cause wow... that's a bold claim. :) Deus Ex 1 is old enough that it's understandable that people will have never played it. I've got a friend older than me that tried it well after its "expiration date" and couldn't get passed the dated textures. It's okay. :) But if you can, or can at least beef up the graphics with a mod, you're in for a treat.

Still, Human Revolution is a nice successor.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
uguito-93 said:
does anyone?

OT great look back, alas it is so true

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
WouldYouKindly said:
I think he'll like DE:HR for what it is, but when comparing it to the original, he'll probably not like it as much.
Yeh, kinda like Portal 2, he enjoyed it, but he enjoyed the first one more.

OT: i loved the part where he said "it's as hard to break as a wet Weetabix" i nearly died of laughter (but then again i laugh at pretty much anything)

Can't wait to see what he thinks of Human Revolution.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I played the original Deus Ex just prior to Human Revolution and I finally completed it, too.

While it's true that Human Revolution isn't as complex as the original and it does suffer from a minor case of Modern FPS Must Haves, I think it's much better in the story department. Not how it's told, but the actual story. Don't worry, no spoilers. I liked the GITS and Blade Runner influences a lot, even if it meant a few un-twists for me, but it's dragged down by Deus Ex' incredibly cheesy plot.

Towards the end Deus Ex' philosophical depth gets really interesting, but the overarching plot just sounds like a bad Bond movie. Too cheesy for today I think. Human Revolution has a much more serious tone to it in my opinion, and it's dragged down by the original DX' plot it still has to weave in.

Human Revolution also has much better characters you actually care about. I put all my points into sneaky approaches and reloaded X times to win against impossible odds to save a minor character because they grew on to me. On highest difficulty level, too.

Nov 12, 2010
I still think that "System Shock 2" was better than the original "Deus Ex". Don't get me wrong: I loved the original (even if I do admit I like HR more overall, except for the music), but "System Shock 2" just clicked more with me: it had a much more involved character progression, story was much, much better and I up to this day consider Shodan to be the best villain of all time.

But as Marik Bentusi said: the philosophical conundrums and the A.I. events aside, the story in "Deus Ex" is very cheesy and I understood that better after I replayed it only recently on my PS2 (I was 15 when I played it the first time, was hardly a critically thinking fellow I am now). What "Deus Ex" got that "System Shock 2" didn't have was the freedom from which one could approach a problem. "System Shock 2" suffered from a more "head-on" approach, as most games suffer from (except for "Hitman: Blood Money", the only other game like that in my memory). Still, even "System Shock 2" had that to some degree, it was just more prominent in "Deus Ex".

[WARNING: might be considered a spoiler]

I was delighted when I hacked a terminal at the Spec-Ops base in HR, killing about ten soldiers through a hacked turret. That's what "Deus Ex" is and should be: freedom of choice.

[WARNING: end of a potential spoiler]

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
replayed it only recently on my PS2
Why would you play the dumbed down version? =\
Smaller maps, worse UI and no limb based damage.

Also, SS2 is unbalanced. But I agree on SHODAN.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
I was waiting all through the video for him to say and now on to the Human Revolutions, oh well. But I quite liked the history detour, similar thing to what MovieBob does, well done.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
uguito-93 said:

To be fair, very few people like John Romero - he did cause the collapse of a major part of the good gaming world through financial mis-management and project mis-management - either one of those could have been survivable, but both together wasn't good.

Stabby Joe said:
While haven't completed it yet, I am really enjoying Human Revolution so far. I didn't play the original when it came out yet it still held up years later, mostly for still having original gameplay mechanics...

...now at this stage there have been imitators and now found myself wondering what else can first-person style perspective gameplay can do. In regards to the next review, some of those issues have been addressed in Human Revolution such as the tranquilizers... but on the other hand it has the opposite of others aspects such as regenerative health. On that basis I have no clue what next week will be then haha!

Now I'm also going to wonder how many comments will come up before anyone actually watches the video and comments about JUST Human Revolution, not the original.
Also enjoying Human Revolution so far - I imagine Yahtzee will be mostly pleased, though he will harp on about his in game hates - as we do love him for that.

Nov 12, 2010
Babitz said:
Yeah, it was dumbed down a great deal, but I just had to play it. I though if I was going to replay it, why not give the PS2 version a shot? Still, the PC version is superior in almost every way, PS2's has cool cut-scenes though.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Babitz said:

Also, SS2 is unbalanced. But I agree on SHODAN.
It's sadly true. That was a horrible insult to every console owner ever.

leet_x1337 said:
Nothing about the awkward aiming that puts all awkward aiming before and since to absolute shame, where you have to stand still like an idiot pointing your gun at anything for 20 seconds before you can hit the broadside of a barn at ten paces, even if you're at Master level for that gun?

...Huh.
Actually master level grants instant accuracy. Might want to research your facts more.

Loki J

Nov 12, 2009

No, that would not be correct thinking. You would be mistaken to think that it's X + Y = XY. Try it out and let it stand on it's own; it's nothing like either game, though it uses some gameplay mechanics that have become common in modern games.

Z

Chiefwakka

Mar 18, 2009
The freedom of gameplay does it for me. I beat it yesterday going for ghost and smooth operator every mission. Playing it stealth does make the boss fights that much more awkward, except the final one, which I won't spoil, but if all the boss fights offered the options of the final then the game would have been elevated to God status in my eyes.

Now, on my next playthrough, I'm the guy with the heart of gold who runs in guns blazing. It feels so liberating to line up the sights of my 10mm on a guard that annoyed so much on my first playthrough.....DIE YOU BASTARDO!

Fun game though, kinda curious how Yahtzee will see it.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
Ahh, Deus Ex, sweet memories and the game that got me in gaming "journalism".

It's true that it doesn't hold up visually that well, and even with the pretty good fan-made textures and models update that's to be expected. I do remember however the game running really smooth on my mediocre Savage3d, so I totally don't get the part about "poor optimization". It was the freaking Unreal engine. At the time you could run the thing in software even.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Ignoring the fact that the game keeps crashing on both my current PC and older PC I just can not get into Deus Ex at all. I'm sorry. The graphics suck, which is to be expected, but their is this weird green covering on all things. During the cut screens it looks like JC has greenish skin and that is something I see on both PC's. It wasn't their when I first played it when I was 13 on my first PC, back in 2000. Even then I couldn't get into the game or see why everyone said it was the best game ever. Maybe it is because I prefer RTS to most other genres.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I too gave up because of the shoddy appearance. Now Yatzee has reinvigorated me and I'm ready to give it another go.

Nov 12, 2010
trollpwner said:
leet_x1337 said:

...Huh.
Actually master level grants instant accuracy. Might want to research your facts more.
The mods can negate the reticle bloom entirely as well even on untrained I might add. On one of my playthroughs I only used a sniper, so there was no need for me to train rifles, just went full mod instead.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
trollpwner said:
leet_x1337 said:

...Huh.
The mods can negate the reticle bloom entirely as well even on untrained I might add. On one of my playthroughs I only used a sniper, so there was no need for me to train rifles, just went full mod instead.
Are we talking about the same game? I was talking about Deus Ex 1 and I get the impression that Leet_x1337 was too.....

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
I don't like the Witcher 2's fighting, but I can't remember last time I liked the fighting in a game, but anyway, the story is more complex and more authentic than Bioware's stories. And they even blatantly mentioned philosophers in there (since the whole folklore and mythology and names in there are twists of real world stuff, they can get away with it), not that it matters, but it certainly shows how far off you can be about completely dismissing a game.

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
Bors Mistral said:
I do remember however the game running really smooth on my mediocre Savage3d, so I totally don't get the part about "poor optimization". It was the freaking Unreal engine. At the time you could run the thing in software even.
I am totally not getting that part also.

I quite clearly remember my Geforce 256 kicking butts of all kinds of Unreal engine games,
DX including.

Remember those days when you could use AA only in games which were at least 2 generations older then your GPU?

Nov 12, 2010
Nesco Nomen said:
Bors Mistral said:
I do remember however the game running really smooth on my mediocre Savage3d, so I totally don't get the part about "poor optimization". It was the freaking Unreal engine. At the time you could run the thing in software even.
I am totally not getting that part also.

I quite clearly remember my Geforce 256 kicking butts of all kinds of Unreal engine games,
DX including.

Remember those days when you could use AA only in games which were at least 2 generations older then your GPU?
Now that, you guys, mention in, I had the same absence of any problems with it on my "antediluvian" hardware back in the days. I remember it running in 800*600 with only occasional slowdowns at the UNATCO lobby, because of all the floor reflections the original "Unreal" was so proud of (it had the same thing in one of the first levels).

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
I'm glad Yahztee took the time to review the game and mention flaws rather than just blindly defend it.

I bought it, and the first problems I found were the awful graphics and the bad voice acting. It probably gets better later, but still it's hard to push through a bad first impression.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
KaosuHamoni said:
That's it. I will finish it, goddamnit! Hong Kong, here I come!
YMMV but Hong Kong was always one of my favourite areas! It's massive with loads of areas to go poking about in; the accents are hilarious; it's where you really start to hit your stride as a character as you can get fully augmented (if not fully upgraded) there; and the bots have that cool green tint.

I'm surprised no-one seems to have picked up on the zooming-into-the-back-of-a-character's-head trick that HR pulls to say 'You're taking control of this person now". Yahtzee ragged on it in his Turok review and I'm expecting it to get dredged up next week.

Don't know about anyone else, but while I generally rail against regenerating health systems and miss the good old health bar it would feel rather hypocritical to complain about it being used in HR: in both the original and IW, a fully-upgraded Regeneration aug is always one of my highest priorities.

Oh and while I can only speak for myself, Deus Ex doesn't get uninstalled but it does get replayed every few months.. or at least a couple of times per year. That's not nostalgia goggles. That's one of my favourite games ever ever ever.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Actually, I own a copy of the game (a freebe from some magazine or other), but I haven't gone around to actually installing and playing it, because the screen shots on the back of the package look a bit... outdated, if I want to be polite (well, they actually look like crap that will probably make my eyes bleed in the effort to try and make out what everything is...)

Maybe I will give it a try, at least. Not planning to buy the new one before the price goes down, so why not?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Since i'm not an actual Deus Ex fanboy, and i only tried Deus Ex Human Evolution out of pure interest, i would like to see a remake of the original, not a texture HD remake fuck no if anything that has taught us those remakes suck shit, i actually would like to see Deus ex with not only the HD redo, but some of the mechanics fixed and saving system etc (again this is based of any criticism i may have seen about it) basically I'm agreeing with Yahtzee's point about a remake for it, but he is right. and i wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is about the original.

Nov 12, 2010
Excuse me, but what is the point of making an HD remake? Give it another three years and the graphics will look like crap compared to what will be to be available at the time.

I never understood a purpose of a remake. Not a movie, nor a game remake, nor a musical remix for that matter. Better devote your time and resources to creating something fresh and original instead.

The only reason why it would be even viable to consider is to present such a remake to a generation unfamiliar with the original. Then again: will you be making remakes of great titles every time a hardware or a generation gap occurs? Just go play the original with an open heart and try to see past the outdated graphics.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Complaining about outdated graphics makes you less of a gamer in my eyes because games aren't about graphics. Deus Ex had shitty graphics even in 2000., yet it was highly praised. They devoted their limited time and funds to more important parts of the game and that's what gaming should be about.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I've never played Deus Ex but I always get the feeling that I'll be saying it's an overrated piece of shit when I do. Being able to run past enemies and slam the door behind them doesn't exactly sound too good either. All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.

Nov 12, 2010
I forgot said:
I've never played Deus Ex but I always get the feeling that I'll be saying it's an overrated piece of shit when I do. Being able to run past enemies and slam the door behind them doesn't exactly sound too good either. All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Aye, mate, should give it a try first and then judge it to be "an overrated piece of shit". Overrated, perhaps. Piece of shit, far from it. "Deus Ex" in a nutshell is a canvas for a creative player to play how he or she likes. There are numerous approaches to a problem, every one being equal and the player is the jury and executioner in every single case.

If you hate the games that force you to accomplish all the tasks in one and only way you will like "Deus Ex", because there aren't many games like it.

That however is not its only strength. A fantastic atmosphere, interesting dialogues, kick-ass soundtrack, very flexible RPG system. Dude, what more can you ask for from a game?

Loki J

Nov 12, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
Ignoring the fact that the game keeps crashing on both my current PC and older PC I just can not get into Deus Ex at all. I'm sorry. The graphics suck, which is to be expected, but their is this weird green covering on all things. During the cut screens it looks like JC has greenish skin and that is something I see on both PC's. It wasn't their when I first played it when I was 13 on my first PC, back in 2000. Even then I couldn't get into the game or see why everyone said it was the best game ever. Maybe it is because I prefer RTS to most other genres.
For anyone interested in a graphics upgrade to the original Deus Ex;
HD Graphics patch - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision
Hi-Res Fonts and bug fix - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced/

Z

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
Currently playing DX:HR, and i hate to sound like a broken record but Yahtzee is right, the depth and complexity (well ok to be fair i have extremely high standards for video games, sorry) of the game seemed a little lacking, but that isn't even a minor concern to me since the story, and the fact that content is scattered throughout the game (yes i like to read the content which is in the form of little data-pad thingies, sue me). DX the original took me forever to play because i read everything in that game, i got as far as half way through China?, sneaking into this research facility or something, after that i never played it again, and i regret it.

Bottom line, find an old ATI radeon 3500 an old Asus AI, and an old Pentium 3 yes 3! computer, with DX9 or something earlier, in order to play the original DX, although i havent played it in a while, i doubt i'm able to play it on my computer since it's so old....i might try to lolz

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
May have been mentioned already (searched but did not find) but have any of the PubClub members noticed that the 'high quality flash' setting on this video is, in fact, not high quality? It's blurry and less smooth than normal for ZP in High Quality.

Comparing it with the HTML version the latter is significantly more detailed (and slower to load as it's just bigger)

It could be a problem on my end, but I don't think it is. Could anyone explain the discrepancy? Does 'high quality' just link to the wrong version?

Also: good stuff on the episode itself.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Hre's a thought; will Yahtzee be playing Human Revolution on PC or console? Cos' I'll invetiably have to play it on the Xbox and I wonder how it's gonna compare to the PC, apart from running more smoothly.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Kingjackl said:
Hre's a thought; will Yahtzee be playing Human Revolution on PC or console? Cos' I'll invetiably have to play it on the Xbox and I wonder how it's gonna compare to the PC, apart from running more smoothly.
The PC version has better graphics and better controls, especially for hacking. And a UI that fits the PC better.

Yahtzee will be probably playing the xbox 360 version since he isn't a PC gamer anymore to the point where he doesn't even invest in a PC, having a shitty laptop instead.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Kingjackl said:
The PC version has better graphics and better controls, especially for hacking. And a UI that fits the PC better.

Yahtzee will be probably playing the xbox 360 version since he isn't a PC gamer anymore to the point where he doesn't even invest in a PC, having a shitty laptop instead.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
I bought this game recently,and I have loved it, but im in Paris now and im starting to feel the story drag. And I am having a hard time continuing because I have become quite disinterested.

Nov 12, 2010
Babitz said:
I might add that the PC version is also very close in the UI department to what the original used to be. Everybody that played "Deus Ex" will feel right at home with HR.

I think the differences between the PC and console versions are similar to those of the original "Mass Effect". At least that's the idea I got from watching the online videos.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
I'm one third into HR and I must admit: it might actually be better than the original (I can almost hear "blasphemy" flying to me from all directions right now).

Seriously: dialogues are more engaging, characters are more interesting, combat is more fun. It could benefit from the former's skill system, surely, but hacking in HR more than makes up for it: it's just so much fun I can't help it but hack everything I can get my wet-ware on. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't hack every last one of the computers at the police station, because of all the cop tossers watching me from every angle. I might go back and kick their sorry asses, so that I finally can, I am really tempted to do that.

The only thing that might be better is the voice acting, but it really is on par with the original, which had its rough edges in that department as well (Adam sounds really cool though, the best voice actor there, period. Dirty Harry reference, wink, wink). Musically, however, the original is still the king, but I mind you that "Deus Ex" had an exceptional soundtrack, HR has a very moody ambient one, but it's not all that memorable. It does help shape the atmosphere though and for any other game that would be more than enough. It is enough for this one as well, it's just such a pity that they couldn't at least be a little closer to that of the original in terms of memorability.

I feel the same way, most of the things cut from the original were annoyances to me anyway. I didn't particularly care for having to skill for weapons, and even with a modest skill in pistols aiming took forever. Boss sequences didn't really bother me, even as a stealth character. Kind of a pain but not unbearable.

The things I thought made the original great were the multiple ways to deal with obstacles, and the extra bits of story strewn about. HR kept both of those things, and might well have added more story. I much, much prefer how the augs were handled in HR over the original as well. I could've dealt with still needing a clinic or something for installs, but having to find an aug can for each specific slot and having to choose A or B wasn't so great. Just using the point system gave you a bit more customization.

Plus they at least made an effort to get appropriate voice actors, instead of having what sounded like Australians trying to force a Chinese accent.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I forgot said:
Aye, mate, should give it a try first and then judge it to be "an overrated piece of shit". Overrated, perhaps. Piece of shit, far from it. "Deus Ex" in a nutshell is a canvas for a creative player to play how he or she likes. There are numerous approaches to a problem, every one being equal and the player is the jury and executioner in every single case.

If you hate the games that force you to accomplish all the tasks in one and only way you will like "Deus Ex", because there aren't many games like it.

That however is not its only strength. A fantastic atmosphere, interesting dialogues, kick-ass soundtrack, very flexible RPG system. Dude, what more can you ask for from a game?
I haven't judged it yet but I'm afraid that that's what I will say because all the praise for this game is in fantastic atmosphere (I don't play games for atmosphere), dailogue (don't care), soundtrack (I like music but there's more to games than that), RPG system (um,so?) and numerous approaches to solving a problem (are any of them fun?). So yeah, there is more I can ask from a game.

tikalal

Dec 17, 2009
I really really liked Human Revolution until the last level where the story just fell apart. It's like they ran out of time or something.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007

I'm going to parrot this, although I'm rating it slightly lower - the game lacked a bit of crucial atmosphere and was a little too content to railroad the player.

Also, the ending was shit.

Nov 12, 2010
I forgot said:
I forgot said:

I haven't judged it yet but I'm afraid that that's what I will say because all the praise for this game is in fantastic atmosphere (I don't play games for atmosphere), dailogue (don't care), soundtrack (I like music but there's more to games than that), RPG system (um,so?) and numerous approaches to solving a problem (are any of them fun?). So yeah, there is more I can ask from a game.
I was telling you about the objective qualities of a game. Something being fun or otherwise is entirely subjective. A game could be brilliant objectively, yet you can still be a dick by resorting to "it's just not fun" argument. I guess with your degree of prejudice even a "Häagen-Dazs" ice-cream wouldn't be good, simply because it's considered to be delicious by the majority.

"Universally praised" doesn't automatically mean "overrated" and "overrated" doesn't automatically mean "bad". It this reply of yours you haven't told me anything new, really.

All I have to say is this: play the game first. Right now you're making assumptions out of a thin air. You're not alone, however, since humanity is famous for doing this.

InterAirplay said:

I'm going to parrot this, although I'm rating it slightly lower - the game lacked a bit of crucial atmosphere and was a little too content to railroad the player.

Also, the ending was shit.
I haven't gone through all of it yet, so I can't say for sure. I'll see if the ending is as bad as you say it is. The original's ending (Helios ending, the only true ending, dammit) was brilliant, one of a few things that made the story less of a cheese.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I forgot said:
I forgot said:

I was telling you about the objective qualities of a game. Something being fun or otherwise is entirely subjective. A game could be brilliant objectively, yet you can still be a dick by resorting to "it's just not fun" argument. I guess with your degree of prejudice even a "Häagen-Dazs" ice-cream wouldn't be good, simply because it's considered to be delicious by the majority.

"Universally praised" doesn't automatically mean "overrated" and "overrated" doesn't automatically mean "bad". It this reply of yours you haven't told me anything new, really.

All I have to say is this: play the game first. Right now you're making assumptions out of a thin air. You're not alone, however, since humanity is famous for doing this.
Dude, can you read? I haven't made any assumptions (and any I might, have a reason behind them). The first thing I said was "I haven't judged it yet" so I'm not prejudiced, I'm just stating what I'm afraid might happen. Your "objective" qualities aren't actually objective either and I stated why they don't mean a damn thing about the game being worth anything.
I don't hate on popular games because they're popular but I do get suspicious when all the praise is going to the wrong places as I stated in my first comment.

Nov 12, 2010
I forgot said:
...I haven't made any assumptions (and any I might, have a reason behind them)... Your "objective" qualities aren't actually objective either and I stated why they don't mean a damn thing about the game being worth anything...
So did you make assumptions or did you not? Decide on that already, will you.

On one side you are right about those qualities possibly being as subjective as anything else. Yet, simply because there isn't a system of measuring those qualities, doesn't mean they can't be evaluated objectively. In the end it all comes down to definition: "what is good music?", "what is a good story?" and so on. Too bad that those are often too vague.

Well let's just try a relative approach then: those qualities in "Deus Ex" are way above your average run of the mill game, simply due to the fact of a lot more effort put into them in "Deus Ex" (an undoubtedly objective quality). There you go: problem solved.

As for your statement of those not amounting to making a game worth anything. Enlighten us then: what does make a game worth anything? Because contrary to your statement you didn't state a single reason for particularly that.

Before you point me to your original post: no, that is not a definition of a good game either -

I forgot said:
All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Besides, "Deus Ex" does have complexity of design, so there you go. Whether it has any challenge... I personally think HR is more challenging on the hardest difficulty. Then again the original is not a walk in the park either on the same difficulty level, unless you're fully upgraded. I am almost fully upgraded in HR and it's still quite challenging.

hyplion

Apr 29, 2010
I really enjoyed DEHR, it not as great as DE1 but better than DEIW.
And if i look back at the past few years this is the first good fps which got released in a long time. To me it is better than bioshock (bioshock is a great game but once the penny dropped ie this game is SS2 only underwater, the main twist in both games being exactly the same).

I am no fan of cover based shooting, but since stealth plays a big role in DEHR is works, you die quickly if not in cover and when shot to a few HP you will not have regenerated all health before the enemies come around the corner.

Compared to DE1 they combines the skills and augs into just augs, but they gave us enough choice to make it interesting. (unlike Mass effect 2)

The story was fun and intriguing, not as epic as DE1 but i have stopped expecting that level of excellence from games, they dont make epic games like that anymore, and its a shame. DEHR however did remind me a lot of DE1 i loved it and am on my 3rd playthrough now.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Does Yahtzee write anything in the forum except "Watch Some shity game review or youll make me cry " ?

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
6unn3r said:
Me thinks Yahtzee will be slightly disapotined with HR's health system.
To be fair, the original Deus Ex had health regen, it was just an augmentation. I guess Sarif had the foresight to think "Hey, Jensen might need this..."

demouse

Nov 23, 2009
I would love to see Deus Ex: HR reviewed back-to-back with EyE: Divine Cybermancy just for the comparison.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I really loved Deus Ex: HR exept for the boss battles and the forced stealth aspect of the game, but it is quite an awesome game.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I forgot said:
...I haven't made any assumptions (and any I might, have a reason behind them)... Your "objective" qualities aren't actually objective either and I stated why they don't mean a damn thing about the game being worth anything...
So did you make assumptions or did you not? Decide on that already, will you.

On one side you are right about those qualities possibly being as subjective as anything else. Yet, simply because there isn't a system of measuring those qualities, doesn't mean they can't be evaluated objectively. In the end it all comes down to definition: "what is good music?", "what is a good story?" and so on. Too bad that those are often too vague.

Well let's just try a relative approach then: those qualities in "Deus Ex" are way above your average run of the mill game, simply due to the fact of a lot more effort put into them in "Deus Ex" (an undoubtedly objective quality). There you go: problem solved.

As for your statement of those not amounting to making a game worth anything. Enlighten us then: what does make a game worth anything? Because contrary to your statement you didn't state a single reason for particularly that.

Before you point me to your original post: no, that is not a definition of a good game either -

I forgot said:
All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Besides, "Deus Ex" does have complexity of design, so there you go. Whether it has any challenge... I personally think HR is more challenging on the hardest difficulty. Then again the original is not a walk in the park either on the same difficulty level, unless you're fully upgraded. I am almost fully upgraded in HR and it's still quite challenging.
I didn't make a definition of a good game in my first post and I'm not here to argue what is one. I'm not arguing it isn't a good game; just that I'm afraid this game might let me down because I've never heard people talk about things like the challenge or the complexity in its design but instead the music, atmosphere and doing anything (though like in fable, is any of it worth doing?). That's all.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Which video has the DX song Yahtzee did a while back...? He should've remastered it and put in this review...:p

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Laughted a bit too much on the 9/11 dig for the soul fact its 11/9 today. Hell yeah British dating system.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I'm certain someone has already responded, but I believe it's a mashup of Mass Effect style questing with Rainbow Six Vegas style combat.
Seriously. Play five minutes of terrorist hunt on Vegas. It's uncanny.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
If people think Deus Ex has bad graphics, they may be pleased to know that the mod came out about a month before DE:HR release that updates like 75% of the games graphics with high resolution ones.. its called New Vision. If anyone loves Deus Ex but can't stand outdated graphics.. you're in luck :)

It's only for world textures though, not character models or gun models or animations. But its still awesome.

Shraggler said:
Finally someone points out the correct pronunciation of the title. I know it is evil of me, but a part of me cringes every time I hear "Doose" Ex and a second little part of me loses a smidge of respect from the person whose mouth uttered those words. Alright, I lose a lot of respect.
You know I always pronounced it D-ooz-Ex, only recently did I realize its Day-es-Ex :p

Its been my second favourite game for a long time next to CastleVania Symphony of the Night, 3rd being Half-Life, and 4th being Max Payne 1 and 2, 5th being Thief 1 and 2 (and the Dark Mod which pretty much recreates the Thief games on the Doom 3 engine) and 6th as System Shock 2.

Sentient6 said:
Which video has the DX song Yahtzee did a while back...? He should've remastered it and put in this review...:p
Guitar Hero World Tour
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/452-Guitar-Hero-World-Tour

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
I forgot said:
I didn't make a definition of a good game in my first post and I'm not here to argue what is one. I'm not arguing it isn't a good game; just that I'm afraid this game might let me down because I've never heard people talk about things like the challenge or the complexity in its design but instead the music, atmosphere and doing anything (though like in fable, is any of it worth doing?). That's all.
Well read this for the best analysis of Deus Ex

http://www.jnoodle.com/careertech/files/postMortems/DeusEx.pdf

The game allows you to approach a objective in anyway you want or can think of. Each way can be effective... Whether its worth doing depends on whether you think its fun, so experiment.