Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Deus Ex

This week in preparation for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Zero Punctuation retrospectively reviews Deus Ex.

Watch Video

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Huh, guess this can be seen as a 2 parter which is a first for Yahtzee.

And I get the feeling he really doesnt like John Romero, but that could just be me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
While haven't completed it yet, I am really enjoying Human Revolution so far. I didn't play the original when it came out yet it still held up years later, mostly for still having original gameplay mechanics...

...now at this stage there have been imitators and now found myself wondering what else can first-person style perspective gameplay can do. In regards to the next review, some of those issues have been addressed in Human Revolution such as the tranquilizers... but on the other hand it has the opposite of others aspects such as regenerative health. On that basis I have no clue what next week will be then haha!

Now I'm also going to wonder how many comments will come up before anyone actually watches the video and comments about JUST Human Revolution, not the original.

Pscyon

Mar 9, 2009
I didn't get past the first hour either. Not when the game was new due to an old crappy monitor which made everything simply too dark (damn you stealth tutorial!) and not now since the game is simply too hard to get into without nostalgia mode which I lack for this particular game.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Me thinks Yahtzee will be slightly disapotined with HR's health system.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Interesting idea to review the original first. Considering DX HR is a prequel it seems the best way to milk the maximum enjoyment out of the references to be found there.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
While Human Revolution is good, I don't think it lives up to the complexity of the original.

So Yahtzee may either like it or despise it, so the usual.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i was thinking what the first deus ex game was like, i think if its cheap enough i might find it on steam or something

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Be interesting to see how he recieves HR, as that game does have some of the things he was complaining about. (regenerating health, stupid boss fights, guns you don't need to worry about skill to use)...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, as someone who sort of missed the first game I can safely say that as of right now, Human Revolution is my strongest GotY contender.

As for this one, I'm glad my decision to forego playing it appears somewhat justified. Heh.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
Wait, so the tags list a PS2 port, but the description doesn't? Consistency Is Nice, I thought Yahtzee knew as much.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
vrbtny said:
Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.
Dude, Revolver with Explosive ammo.

It can kill a box guard in 5 shots if you upgrade the damage all the way.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
therockdemon said:
i was thinking what the first deus ex game was like, i think if its cheap enoth i might find it on steam or something
You can get on steam for 10 bucks, and if you wait 'till christmas you'll probably be able to get it for half that in one of their sales.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Heh, a Zero Punctuation that ends with the promise of a sequel!

I liked the reference to Yahtzee's Deus Ex song too.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I think he'll like DE:HR for what it is, but when comparing it to the original, he'll probably not like it as much.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Wait, wait, wait a second here. Why does Yahtzee show Gordon Freeman running away from the Gonarch as an example of a game that doesn't let you do that? The Gonarch is the only boss that doesn't let you do that in the whole damn game! You can run away from all the tanks and helicopters in Half-Life without shooting them, it just makes it a lot harder...just like Deus Ex!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
vrbtny said:
Dude, Revolver with Explosive ammo.

It can kill a box guard in 5 shoots if you upgrade the damage all the way.
Yeah, but no one carries around revolvers in the game, whereas nearly all the bad-guys carry 10mm. Especially all the gang members and such. The quality of a gun in Deus Ex : Human Revolution is less about the effectiveness of it on human flesh, and more about the sustainability of it. Like if you can find enough ammo to use it.