Zero Punctuation: Dishonored 2

MiskWisk

New member
Mar 17, 2012
857
0
0
Gotta say that the voice acting is my biggest quibble with Dishonored too. I'm sitting there practically begging the characters to throw some damned inflection into their voice and emote for God's sake.
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,740
0
0
Oh MAN this was a good one. XD

Cruella de ville and Gaston's momentary appearance and the vengeance of the blink power bits had me laughing my ass off so much I had to pause the video.
 

Gluff

New member
Jun 15, 2016
2
0
0
I think an example of NPCs' dialouge being important is in Arkham City.

Every enemy has voice acting that sounds like they're depressed criminals in a deserted wasteland of a city. They also yell taunts at Batman while fighting and they exchange small lines of dialogue when they don't see Batman. Hell they even have conversations about the situation they are currently in. Sometimes they talk about how they feel about their leader or sometimes they just want to make fun of each other.

These lines of dialogue made the world of Arkham City seem so real and authentic. It made the world feel like an actual Batman setting and it worked so well.
 

Zydrate

New member
Apr 1, 2009
1,914
0
0
I don't really play it for the dialog. I like it because the stealth is a bit better, like how they notice open doors or when their patrol buddies go missing. There's plenty of excitement there that I don't get from other stealth games.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
Huh. No epic gender-based wildfire to put out. Guess everyone is still mentally exhausted from the election.
 

K.ur

New member
Jul 31, 2013
209
0
0
There is a game with that time travel mechanic: Singularity by Raven Software from 2010.

You even reviewed it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1883-Singularity
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Huh. No epic gender-based wildfire to put out. Guess everyone is still mentally exhausted from the election.
To be honest, outside of some really weird people, no one really had a problem with Emily and Yahtzee taking pokes at that just kind of feel like he's really reaching to get a reaction.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
erttheking said:
Silentpony said:
Huh. No epic gender-based wildfire to put out. Guess everyone is still mentally exhausted from the election.
To be honest, outside of some really weird people, no one really had a problem with Emily and Yahtzee taking pokes at that just kind of feel like he's really reaching to get a reaction.
TBH I didn't even know there was a girl in the game until this review. And good for it, yadda yadda. Just surprised by the lack of attention, both pro and con.
 

Milenkov

New member
Aug 16, 2009
37
0
0
K.ur said:
There is a game with that time travel mechanic: Singularity by Raven Software from 2010.

You even reviewed it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1883-Singularity
Except like most spunkgargleweewee games, that element is only used at fixed points for set pieces, and not (as in here) as a functioning on/off switch for a period of time.
 

distortedreality

New member
May 2, 2011
1,132
0
0
erttheking said:
So in short, fun gameplay but kinda bleh story?
Pretty much. I just finished a low chaos run with Emily, and quite enjoyed it, but the story isn't anything to write home about. It's not particularly bad, it's just not that good. There are a couple of story threads that unfurl quite nicely, but for the most part it's pretty standard.

And other than effecting chaos levels, it didn't seem that your choices regarding most of the targets made much of a difference other than some obligatory NPC dialogue - I think the first game handled this a little better from memory.

On the positive side, the world building is excellent, the various areas are well laid out and for the most part give multiple options for progressing, and the game feels just about long enough but not too long for you to get bored. I'll probably do a play through with Corvo at some point, but that will be more to enjoy a different gameplay style as opposed to a different story.
 
Aug 31, 2011
120
0
0
Silentpony said:
erttheking said:
Silentpony said:
Huh. No epic gender-based wildfire to put out. Guess everyone is still mentally exhausted from the election.
To be honest, outside of some really weird people, no one really had a problem with Emily and Yahtzee taking pokes at that just kind of feel like he's really reaching to get a reaction.
TBH I didn't even know there was a girl in the game until this review. And good for it, yadda yadda. Just surprised by the lack of attention, both pro and con.
Yeah, bit weird for him to put it in, since the same can be said for the argument of making most protagonists male. And I actually found it a bit weird that Corvo is an option for the game, since one of Dishonored's endings showed Emily visiting his grave. Guess this occurs before that? Regardless, it didn't occur to me that her gender had anything to do with being a playable character. Just thought it was a continuation of a story already in progress. Corvo was never particularly important outside of her, after all. His whole existence revolved around Emily and her mother.

But just to stir up the controversy he wanted: asking for female playable characters in a multiplayer game in which you can choose different character models and respective voice actors.... isn't the same thing as asking for them as main protagonists. Since Unity was his specific reference.
 

K.ur

New member
Jul 31, 2013
209
0
0
Milenkov said:
Except like most spunkgargleweewee games, that element is only used at fixed points for set pieces, and not (as in here) as a functioning on/off switch for a period of time.
Never played, it looked to much of a spunkgargleweewee. *shoulder shrug*
 

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
669
0
21
I can't help but feel the game would be longer and more satisfying if it only had one main character. Corvo should just die in the opening act or just be presumed dead. He should be well into his 40's or 50's at a minimum. I can only suspend belief so far until elderly Spiderman is running around and it just seems silly.
 

bificommander

New member
Apr 19, 2010
434
0
0
Gluff said:
I think an example of NPCs' dialouge being important is in Arkham City.

Every enemy has voice acting that sounds like they're depressed criminals in a deserted wasteland of a city. They also yell taunts at Batman while fighting and they exchange small lines of dialogue when they don't see Batman. Hell they even have conversations about the situation they are currently in. Sometimes they talk about how they feel about their leader or sometimes they just want to make fun of each other.

These lines of dialogue made the world of Arkham City seem so real and authentic. It made the world feel like an actual Batman setting and it worked so well.
Funny. The NPC dialogue is a mayor reason I never replayed Arkham City. I'm not a comic book reader, so I can't vouch to the faithfulness of replicating the Batman setting. But I don't think the intended effect of the dialogue was to make me wish for Batman to hand Dr Strange the fucking matches and help him burn the whole place to the ground. Halfway through that game my response to the start of another overheard conversation was "Oh goody, are these assholes going to tell me how much they enjoy murder, rape* and torture, or about how much worse their bosses are. Yeah, I figured that out already. How about some dialogue that gives me a reason why I wouldn't want to see them all killed? Cause at this point, what alternatives are there? Between this game and the last one, I think we've pretty much established that putting them in a jail or mental hospital doesn't even stop them from committing mass murder while they're still inside the building, let alone once they get out during Gotham's bi-weekly jailbreak."


*I literally cannot think of a single instance of mook dialogue to or about any female character that didn't include speculating or suggesting having sex with them, with consent being very much not a concern.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
K.ur said:
There is a game with that time travel mechanic: Singularity by Raven Software from 2010.

You even reviewed it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1883-Singularity
The game that came to my mind at that part was The Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, with the Prince jumping back and forth between the past and present on that island.
I remember from the first Dishonored that the dialogue was unbelievably flat. As in, it was so flat, I could not believe in the game's story or world. I constantly heard the voice of Harold Zoid in my head, yelling "No! You've got to EMOTE, dammit!" And since when could Corvo talk?
 

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
785
0
0
You can alter the timeline on that mission which brings some nice changes to the last Karnaca bit, so it's more than just a one off gimmick.

Also if you are a hearthless ************, you can leave the other protagonist petrified and rule alone on High Chaos.

Even as Corvo, dubbed Corvo the Black.

So things will definetly change.

There are more little changes to the endings (I've heard you can somehow make Corvo the ruler of Karnaca as Emily, which sounds cool, I guess you need to off the important NPCs), I'm waiting for the NG+ patch to start another playtrough, but there is definetly a high replay value. No powers run on very hard was damn awesome, that's one reason to replay atleast for everyone.
 

4Aces

New member
May 29, 2012
180
0
0
Damn it. Pointy end goes in to target. Pointy goes in.

Was expecting Yahtzee to suggest this is called Dishonored Two as they pretend it actually has one more degree of replayability than the first, since we can now play as two genders (yes, there are many more you genderist). They already know we are playing in pure stealth, since the violent path was designed to be a cakewalk.