Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Inquisition - Fantasy Commander Shepard

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Fantasy Commander Shepard

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Watch Video
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
I think I remember the original Dragon Age's Zero Punctuation mentioning that despite having a twenty five hour playtime there was still a desire to see the ending. This gives off the opposite message so I suppose DAO was doing the MMO thing where you are just entertained enough to keep going but never massively enthralled and DAI is sweeter but burns out faster. Ah, piecing together Zero Punctuations certainly makes understanding new ZP opinions easier.
 

Aiddon_v1legacy

New member
Nov 19, 2009
3,672
0
0
sounds like it just has a bunch of STUFF in it. That's the problem with sandboxes at times; they're so concerned with making them BIG, but actually loading them with substance is really, really hard so they just fill it with STUFF. Padding. Fluff, something that is there solely to make things seem more epic than they really are.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
Evonisia said:
I think I remember the original Dragon Age's Zero Punctuation mentioning that despite having a twenty five hour playtime there was still a desire to see the ending. This gives off the opposite message so I suppose DAO was doing the MMO thing where you are just entertained enough to keep going but never massively enthralled and DAI is sweeter but burns out faster. Ah, piecing together Zero Punctuations certainly makes understanding new ZP opinions easier.
In fairness, it sounds like he mostly became unintersted because of the sidequest quota. And honestly, that can kill my interest in any game, even if the story is sweet.

Well, except Saints Row. I can screw around in those for hours. Faff quota? Well, I passed that four hours ago, so...Full access!
 

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
785
0
0
Spot on with the fantasy Commander Shepard, the endgame is a straight rehashing of Ilos from ME1.
 

Jman1236

New member
Jul 29, 2008
528
0
0
I just started the game myself and not only did I roll a mage but also an elf so becoming the chosen one is kinda besare since elfs are enslaved and mages are disliked in this world.
 

ZippyDSMlee

New member
Sep 1, 2007
3,959
0
0
The tactical command is not as good as DA:O..... and its much to much button mashy focused....
 

Morthasa

New member
Jun 22, 2011
18
0
0
The war table missions do weigh down the pace a bit, but most of the rime they are not essential (even instant in some cases). Later on in the game however there are some war table missions that can take upwards of 20 hours to complete (!)

Luckily if you are on PC and naughty, you can con the game by ALT+TAB'ing, changing the date and back again and returning to the game. Don't know if this may be done on console (might require exiting the game in their case).
 

Louis.J

New member
Jul 9, 2010
21
0
0
Jman1236 said:
I just started the game myself and not only did I roll a mage but also an elf so becoming the chosen one is kinda besare since elfs are enslaved and mages are disliked in this world.
Well, if you choose to be an elf in Dragon Age: Inquisition, you're Dalish, so... not at all enslaved, but the part about being a mage is true enough, even though it is not true for the Dalish.
 

SNCommand

New member
Aug 29, 2011
283
0
0
Jman1236 said:
I just started the game myself and not only did I roll a mage but also an elf so becoming the chosen one is kinda besare since elfs are enslaved and mages are disliked in this world.
Creating some cosmic irony was half the fun making your character this time around

A Qunari mage as the Maker's chosen? The Maker must be havin a laugh!
 
Feb 24, 2011
219
0
0
I heard a lot of people saying that this game becomes good after 20 odd hours. Is it just me or is that fucking mental? If it's true however, I'd like to give it rename Dragon Age: Inquisition to Dragon Age: Stockholm Syndrome
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
As funny as this was, I feel it added 5 years to the waiting time for Half Life 3 because of the Gaben joke.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
But there are still dragons in this game, right?
But yeah, it wouldn't be a BioWare RPG without the INCREDIBLY finicky equipping system.
But you got me with AC:Unity having the guy's head disappear and leave his eyes and teeth floating there.
 

BlueJoneleth

New member
Feb 8, 2011
78
0
0
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
I heard a lot of people saying that this game becomes good after 20 odd hours. Is it just me or is that fucking mental? If it's true however, I'd like to give it rename Dragon Age: Inquisition to Dragon Age: Stockholm Syndrome
No, the game is good from the start. What people refer to is the end of the first act, which for a lot of people upgrades the game from good to great.
 

BlueJoneleth

New member
Feb 8, 2011
78
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
But there are still dragons in this game, right?
But yeah, it wouldn't be a BioWare RPG without the INCREDIBLY finicky equipping system.
But you got me with AC:Unity having the guy's head disappear and leave his eyes and teeth floating there.
There are 10 optional dragon bosses and one mandatory.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
18,318
2,756
118
Zachary Amaranth said:
In fairness, it sounds like he mostly became unintersted because of the sidequest quota. And honestly, that can kill my interest in any game, even if the story is sweet.

Well, except Saints Row. I can screw around in those for hours. Faff quota? Well, I passed that four hours ago, so...Full access!
That's because a lot of the side quests in DA:I are just you doing the same thing over and over. Every new area has the same rifts to close, shards to find, and 'connect the dots' star puzzles to solve. The other chunk is person A telling you to go say something important to person B, quest completed.

Maybe if the story amounted to anything and the characters were memorable and fun to be with, this wouldn't have weighed down the experience.
 

Sanunes

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2011
626
0
21
Morthasa said:
The war table missions do weigh down the pace a bit, but most of the rime they are not essential (even instant in some cases). Later on in the game however there are some war table missions that can take upwards of 20 hours to complete (!)

Luckily if you are on PC and naughty, you can con the game by ALT+TAB'ing, changing the date and back again and returning to the game. Don't know if this may be done on console (might require exiting the game in their case).
You can do that on the consoles too from what my friends have been telling me. I never considered them anything important enough to attempt it for the ones I needed to do were always instant.

Caramel Frappe said:
If I get an Xbox One for Christmas, this will be the game i'll get it for. Heard to many bad stories about it going over to PC.
Glad it's still a great game despite some of the heavy issues. Also 3 hours? ... That is a bit much, but ... won't kill me will it?
I am playing it on the PC and haven't encountered any issues aside from not being happy with the KB/M controls when in tactical view which they are working on. There have been many reports of driver issues on the PC version as well, but I have been lucky and not encountered any. If you do the digital download route, you can download the game off Origin (not a third party key site) and play it for up to 24 hours and get a full refund if you don't like the game or encounter problems. I did that with Battlefield 4 when I had server issues with multiplayer.

I think the biggest problem with the game is The Hinterlands shouldn't have been the first place to go after the prologue for a lot of people are getting burnt out there and I believe a smaller zone such as the Storm Coast would have been better for it would be a stepping stone to a major hub like The Hinterlands.
 

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
511
2
23
Uh, did I miss something? How long have blind children looked like Baymax?
 

THM

New member
Sep 27, 2014
218
0
0
Huh.

I was watching Yahtzee on his Youtube channel a couple of weeks ago, and when asked how his experience of this game was going, he said 'fucking arduous'. Now I know why. Guess that's another one on the pile of 'Things to Avoid'.

captcha - that's hot - apparently, not