Zero Punctuation: E3 2014 - Deflate Your Hype Balloons

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Micah Weil said:
I was thinking more along the lines of playing a Roomba that goes Skynet. Don't think we need another Rapelay...
Do they send Roombas back in time to clean up history's greatest messes?

<.<

Sorry, this sounds more interesting than E3.

Jan 27, 2011
Looks like it's confirmed! Yatzee is officially a member of the "elite PC master race". XD

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. But considering his massive disdain for this new console generation, I think he's officially stopped giving even the slightest HOPE of a shit about it.

....I'm still hyped for Nintendo's stuff, though. They did have a lot of good stuff in my opinion.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Jman1236 said:
He was spot on about EA. I was expecting a wildstar review this week though.
reviewing a multiplayer focussed game that is also an mmo?
i don't give it much chance to be honest

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
The best Zed-Pee for some time; genuine high-quality vitriol. Now all that remains is to sit back & watch the console apologists' foaming rants.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Looks like it's confirmed! Yatzee is officially a member of the "elite PC master race". XD
Which is fitting since he is the one who coined that phrase in the first place

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh come on yahtzee, you gotta admit that No Man's Sky was at least a little bit exciting. I mean, space combat and procedurally generated planets? That's gotta be something, right?

Coolblue

Feb 18, 2014
LordTerminal said:
Carbo said:
Come on Yahtzee, give Nintendo some credit - they finally came out with a new idea/IP instead of rehashing Mario all the time.
Actually TWO new IPs. Codename S.T.E.A.M. had an entire 90 minute roundtable dedicated to it. Really Yahtzee? You wonder why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs when that's how you and pretty much every schmeg w/ the gall to call themselves a gamer acts when they actually DO make new IPs?
Exactly. And I also feel like this is Yahtzee's biggest fucking problem nowadays; He's got too much god damn wax in his ears that he can't read anything farther than Mario, Zelda or any of Nintendo's other IP's. He was really fucking late for the whole "Hyrule Warriors (name not final)" joke, plus there was also shit I expected him to bash on, A.K.A. the whole Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker fiasco, amiibo stuff and hell, even Miyamoto's new games, Yarn Yoshi and Xenoblade Chronicles. There was a ton of stuff from Nintendo that he missed. And i'm sorry if I still sound like Nintendo Fanboy #18422, but i've said my point before, and i'll say it again: Yahtzee HAS NO REASON to avoid Nintendo and their new things. He needs to get the gunk out of his ears and eyes and actually LOOK at the new things Nintendo's doing, instead of just saying "Oh there's Mario and Zelda and that's about it". And really, the more he's doing this the more it's not doing him justice.

thedarkfreak

Apr 7, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
(the actual sound effect killed me. Maybe because I didn't expect it)
Me too. The "slide to the floor and get smothered to death by the Roomba" line amused me. Hearing the actual thud cracked me up.

Troy67

Jun 18, 2014
Yahtzee, if you come across another dry-spell in game releases, could you review Star Wars: Battlefront II? I genuinely think it was and still is one of the best military-based shooters out there and there's a sequel/reboot being made by DICE that is set to come out in 2015. So basically we just want you on our side when they screw it up.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
03.04 well yeah I do hang out with different human beings, and just because the people you hang around with are apparently assholes who don?t understand the concept of stealth, doesn?t mean that everybody does.

I liked this video but I do feel like he was grasping at straws for his anti hype arguments.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
There wasn't a 10-second post-credit clip of Yahtzee's head getting bonked by the Roomba? I'm disappointed.

Theopenmindedgamer

Jun 18, 2012
E3 press conferences in a nutshell: cg trailer cg trailer scripted demo scripted demo cg trailer scripted demo cg trailer.

What a waste of time and money.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Meanwhile, all the interesting stuff is quietly coming out on Steam, games with smaller budgets and without wasting on marketing, appealing to those of us who have given up on the endless 8-year-long circlejerk that is AAA gaming.

Dead rising #whatever? Check out Project Zomboid, a tough and gritty survival simulator where you balance the need for food against fear and depression. Not interested in this Sims iteration? Maybe keep track and get excited about Clockwork Empires instead-- build a colony, develop it for the good of the empire, and then watch it burn as the colonists get into dark rituals and summon lovecraftian horrors. Stealthy 4player co op ass creed not doing it for you either? Maybe check out Gunpoint. I haven't played it, but its on the new releases/sales for 2.50 today on steam and hey! it looks like something Yahtzee himself might have designed.

Theres just nothing in AAA gaming to keep me invested. This engineering of consumable entertainment with planned obsolescence is something the industry should be more embarressed about. Hey remember titanfall? Me either. And watch dogs is probably going to end up forgotten by next month as well.

Side Note: I think Nintendo actually won, yeah? They were mad for releasing a system without a zelda/metroid/mario/smash game. I mean, come ON guys, what were you thinking.

I went to a little gathering last weekend, and three people stated their intent to buy one just because of mario kart. I'm gonna wait for a proper metroid myself, but thats just me.

CheeksMcGraw

Aug 15, 2009
Gailim said:
aegix drakan said:
Which is fitting since he is the one who coined that phrase in the first place
And as the one to coin the term, he's also the de facto Führer of PC Gamers world wide. (Is de facto the proper term? I'm not sure.)

As for E3: I don't remember anything of Microsoft save for the Halo bundle, Sony had nothing of interest save for No Man's Sky and Metal Gear Solid V, games everyone already knew about, and Nintendo had plenty of material to show off, which convinced me to buy a Wii U later this year.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
One of the funniest post-E3 reviews ever! The smug look on the cat's head on the PS4 was genius, mores after it looked like it was pooping Grim Fandango! I liked how Yahtzee's voice went up as he described the XBone asking for mercy and when he thought of how Nathan Drake was going to die. As for that new Zelda game, there really wasn't much to see about it beyond the trailer? Yahtzee mentioned other people "jazzing their pants over it", so he must have included MovieBob being able to wring a whole Big Picture episode out of it.
Zachary Amaranth said:
So....I'm unclear. Is Yahtzee excited for E3? When he dropped at the end, that was him passing out from joy, right?

(the actual sound effect killed me. Maybe because I didn't expect it)
Yes! That clinched it for me!