Zero Punctuation: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
PAGEToap44 said:
Well I thought Enslaved would be shit. I was right.
I didnt need a review to state what I knew....besides I have better things to buy..like..

uhhh

Undead Nightmare and save $50!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm surprised he didn't reference Sands of Time in terms of characters - it's not as good, but it's a definite vibe that I got from the NYC sections at least.

Agreed with the plot issue though - I didn't feel any connection between what I'd been doing and what ended up happening. I'm getting rather bored with ambiguous endings too (yes, you too Mafia 2), especially in games that are mainly driven by the characters.

Ambiguity rarely offers character resolution.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
I bet this has thrown everyone in the UK who forgot about BST.
BST?
Normally, ZP would be on at 5pm, but because of British Summer Time going back to Greenwich Mean Time, it's only 4pm now.

Yeah, we don't quite get it either.
He lives in Australia and this site is American, why would our clocks changing affect the time it's posted?

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Is it sad that when I saw the title of the video, I thought it was going to be Yahtzee's critique of the recent trend of Japanese developers moving to the West/adopting Western design philosophy?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Slangeveld said:
xD Halo would probably benefit from being based on Pride and Prejudice
Yeah, Halo would benefit from a story....period.
-_-

Woodsey said:
I'm surprised he didn't reference Sands of Time in terms of characters - it's not as good, but it's a definite vibe that I got from the NYC sections at least.
You know I keep hearing how SoT had great character development, facial animations for its time, emoting and blah blah blah blah, but from what I remember I thought it was horrendous, formulaic, and boring. It had all the depth of a Katherine Heigl dramedy post Knocked Up and twice the annoyance.

Sure the platforming was great and I loved the game for that aspect, but OMG did I think their characters sucked...-_-

Hmm, you guys must be talking about a completely different game...?

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
ShadowCoH316 said:
That's the last straw. I could care less if this wasn't like journey to the west or that you thought the combat was shitty, all I really care about is that you overlooked the parts of this game that were actually really good, and instead, dwelled on 3 topics you had a problem with, especially considering that there is so much more to this than just 'those 3 things'. What about the subtle facial twitches, incredible attention to detail, the amazing voice acting and character acting, and the incredibly lovable characters? Instead you did what you always do and picked 3 molehills to make mountains of.

I'm officially done with you videos.
As Delusibeta already pointed out earlier, this is what Yahtzee does. He rips into a game's flaws, the game makers take notice, and the next game is better off for it. By being overly critical, games come closer to perfection.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Man, I loved the combat...
Anyway, I'm just surprised that out of all things to hate on, you left Pigsy alone.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
PAGEToap44 said:
Well I thought Enslaved would be shit. I was right.
please tell me your not basing whether or not you buy a game, off what yahtzee says. basically, if you place emphasis on story then this is a good game, but the combat gets stale and the platforming is over simplified

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Great video, very funny and informative. I was actually on the fence on whether or not to get the game.

Wutaiflea said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
I bet this has thrown everyone in the UK who forgot about BST.
BST?
British Summer Time. Our clocks went back an hour on Sunday to GMT.
I find this daylight saving time very stupid. Especially now that I see that not all countries are doing it at the same time.

The US isn't doing it until Saturday the 6th.

Let's just set our clocks to whatever time we want it to be and it will be so. Yup, I just changed mine to 6pm. Time skipped my class for today, so it didn't have time to start.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
I loved this game, but totally acknowledge that it deserves its fair share of criticism. It started out as a cgi movie, so the gameplay feels pretty thrown together all around. But not the story, though. I think when you say "inconsistent," what you mean is "character development." And things like Trip not quite making every jump and needing to be pulled up added a dimension of believability to the game in those early levels - it shakes your faith in the otherwise implausible acrobatics being pulled off left and right, giving the characters a little more vulnerability. Of course as the game progresses, the acrobatics just get more and more nuts until Trip is casually asking Monkey to do crazy stunts for which there should be no expectation for survival, whatsoever.

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
space pilot jesus christ vs. mecha pontius hahahhaah!! Sounds like a good christmas game to play with the family. Maybe they'll make it compatible with Kinect and Move lol.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Awww, I was expecting a New Vegas review.

Still, great work. Amusing as always I guess.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Even if the characters were shifty, the camera was nailed to your back, the platforming was just "follow the yellow brick road) and the combat was "press X to make dead," you got to admit that (most) of the areas showed how a game set after the world doesn't need to be BROWN.

As much of a fanboy excuse that sounds like, I don't think that fixes the problems with the rest of the game, just makes it more tolerable because it is good to see a big action game have some color for once.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm waiting for a price drop on this one, not because I don't think it looks good or anything but I just blew all money on some games (that haven't been given the Zero Punctuation treatment...yet) and being only 8 hours long.

The motion capture in all fairness look really good, more so by the average video game standard.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Hey now. Xuanzang's gender went unrecorded by history! It could have been a clingy harpy for all we know.
*just wanted to contribute*

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Hang on is 'Bollocks' colloquial British for butt or balls? well, that was the strangest question i have ever asked.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
Good point about the necessity of a game whose plot is based around revenge to make the player invested in that revenge. God of War did this well: it drew you in, drew you along, and then ended fairly fittingly (I speak of God of War 1 and to a lesser degree 2: I haven't played 3 yet).

I had not heard of this game before: it actually sounds somewhat interesting, but there's no way I have the time/money for it right now.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Hang on is 'Bollocks' colloquial British for butt or balls? well, that was the strangest question i have ever asked.
Am probably going to be ninja'd repeatedly, but bollocks = balls.