Zero Punctuation: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Funny review as always. I seem to remember a zelda esque game in the psone era called monkey hero that pretty much followed the same story but i may be mistaken

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
RE: Ninja theory; I'll have none of it if there isn't Twing Twang. :)

I really must play this on my own. I couldn't help but feel like Yahtzee had to reach to bash the game. Linear? Yawn. Simple gameplay? Ho-hum. Based loosely on ancient Chinese stories? What Ninja Theory games aren't (I don't know the answer to that one). :)

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Really? I wouldn't have pinned the gameplay as the chief aspect of Enslaved instead of the story to pick on.

bleese

May 7, 2010
GLAHHH

Zero Punctuation i love your review but GODAMN you couldn't of reviewed Medal of Honor, Fallout New Vegas or, Starcraft 2!

No instead you review a game that no one has heard about or even cares about!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Seqgewehr said:
What is up with games trying to destroy Chinese epics? I'm looking at you Dynasty Warriors!

It must be for the same reason that they try to destroy every epic story they get their hands on.
Dynasty warriors doesn't destroy chinese epics. besides those same people make romance of the three kingdoms which is far and leagues more tethered to accuracy. Dynasty warriors is just good fun and taking fair liberties. Ya know something a creator should be given a chance to do?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Don't be silly, Yahtzee, of course the Giant Laser Death Scorpions weren't trying to give you a fruit basket, they were trying to scan your groceries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdhwTXwhA4c].

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
I played Enslaved and really enjoyed it. Yahtzee's critique is still spot on though. Platforming linear but it looks great, the combat isn't deep enough but looks pretty good. The plot has nothing to do with central themes of Journey to the West but it's a good story. And the cutscenes are masterfully done but there is a few moments where it swings for sitcom humour or over the top melodrama.

It could have used a few more run-for-your-life moments. Their need to be more "holy sh&t!?" moments when facing enemies.

It's still on the side of should-play, rather than avoid-playing, in my opinion.

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
The only reason developers are raping, I mean reaping stories from Eastern mythologies is because they've already done it to all the Western ones, mostly Disney films. Not sure how many people are aware that the Lion King is based on Hamlet, but without the meaningful tragic ending for is essentially A TRAGEDY play.

Dangerious P. Cats

Dec 21, 2008
The comment about monkey running with Trip and slave headband thing isn't going to ruin the game for me when I play through it again, not merely because it's funny, but also because it's very possibly true.

I really felt that the camera should have copped more abuse in this video given how aweful it was. I even suspect that your inability to fall off ledges was to stop rapid camera shifts and poor fixed camera angles from sending you to mineville or lava town constantly. How hard is it to get a camera right anyway? it's not like there's been 3D gaming for over a decade now so that developers can work it out or copy someone who's worked it out.

Also I can believe that the limited likeness to Journey to the West was some kind of plot to get away with an otherwise original setting. A post apocalypse game where a broken down city with mostly warm greens rather than brown, grey and brownish grey that wasn't based on the same mythos as Dragon Ball and Monkey Magic would cause rioting from the anti-imagination league or something.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
Awesome! Best ZP in quite awhile. I totally agree about the ending, WTF it doesn't make sense!

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I've had this game for a while and I refuse to play past the past with the crane. Not because that part is particularly annoying, but because I've had enough with this game's bullshit. Climbing walls is impossible on my TV and the combat is fucking impossible to do if you're against more than one opponent. Also Trip's AI can go fuck itself. Jumping in the middle of five robots, goddammit!

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Arkley said:
tyriless said:
do[/i] real reviews, that's not his job and that's not what people watch his videos for. You don't watch these vids if you want an actual opinion of the game, you watch them for a laugh, to hear about all the bad bits of it explained with hilarious vulgar analogies. The real humour comes from knowing that all or most of his criticisms are based on fact. For example; even though I actually really like Enslaved, it's still hilarious to hear him describe the platforming the way he did in this video, because I experienced it myself and thought similar things while still enjoying the game as a whole.

TL;DR: if you want a real review, watch something else, or better yet, demo or rent it and form your own opinion. If you want to laugh at hilarious analogies, watch Yahtzee.
Tearing down other peoples work is still criticism, even if he really is amusing about it. He does reveiw games and what he says does shape the opinion of the veiwer. I certainly would not avoid a game he dismisses ( if I did, I never be able to play anything since Infamous). However, in the past, there was a mix of praise and disdain in his criticism, and now he seems to be in a rut of disliking everything he comes across. Don't get me wrong. I love his rants and delivery. His cynicism and wit bring on a wry smile almost every episode. If it didn't I wouldn't be watching. However, I also would like to know what he enjoys a little more. All I ask is a splash of color to contrast with that dark stain of his soul.

qdr

Oct 5, 2010
Dear Yahtzee,
I'm writing this comment from a really distant place - Kazakhstan, Almaty.
I've been watching your game reviews for quite a while, ever since accidentally stumbling upon an article about you, full of LOVE at russian ED - lurkmore. I kinda find it a little bit hilarious that the big U.S.S Sellout you mentioned in one of your first vids gets a huge boner on you (various parodies in other Escapist series). The thing is, I'm sitting all alone, drinking me favorite Tullamore Dew, (hope you know what pure awesomeness it is) and I kinda thought - damn, I would really, really like to see you reviewing one of the most story-driven-shitty-gameplay game ever - Tim Cain's The Bards Tale. Seriously, if you never played it GO PIRATEBAY IT, NOW, AND DO A FUCKING REVIEW OF IT, LIKE NOW!!!

P.S.: On a side note, when is your Mog World be available to CIS or at least Europe\Russia.
P.S.S.: Please, Please let it be better, than "Yahtzee against the world, or how was that comic called"