Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

gunnnnkjkjkj

Oct 2, 2008
nice episode :D been waiting all day :p Hope you do GH4 next time (although i guess you wont , since you did GH3)but theres always a hope. Great episode

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Haha, that first part was really good, (I mean the beginning 20 seconds) And I do agree with the Fallout 3, Oblivion thing, and I steal most stuff not stuck down too, except I don't pickpocket, as I suck at it...

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
I agree with the review, only part I didn't like was the subpar ending.

EDIT: I meant the subpar ending of the game, not the ZP, just to clarify that.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
First 20 seconds are worth the price of admission.

Also, if you haven't tried Branston pickle yet, what's wrong with you?

Georgie2x4

Oct 1, 2008
"Yeah it's pretty good" lol great review, I thought FO3 was better than Oblivion still enjoying it now. Yahtzee does love his Branston pickle!

finalmad

Apr 19, 2008
*woosh enters random battle*ahhh damn how the hell did i reach here....oh a review must watch*sits and watches* was anticipating this whoot next review "Predictable Game With Boring Ending 2:Return of horrible controls."

keep up the good work Yahtzee!!

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Eh not bad, didn't do Fallout 3 the justice of how bad a RPG it is, but a amusing easy FPS it really is.

Giygas

Mar 1, 2008
People haven't even watched the review and are saying how great it is. Oh well, it was decent

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Not the most amusing ZP ever, but not bad. The opening was a real hoot, actually got a "WTF?" from me before I realized what was happening. I disagree with some of his points on Fallout 3, I didn't find the scenery at all monotonous, and saw little to no real similarity with Oblivion (except the 3-D, first person aspect). It seems that often what Yahtzee is complaining about in a game are things I really enjoyed.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
finally someone reviews this that i actually agree with. Thanks this was a great review.

hilarious and i couldnt agree more with everything you said

every review looks at it from a Fallout series point of view, but i looked at it right away from an Oblivion point of view.

MolotoK

Jul 16, 2008
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....

imbaczek

Nov 19, 2008
if you really haven't played fallout 2, then i kinda forgive for this review. now go play it, coz now is the time and you're several years behind.

EasternBlackCat

Jul 10, 2008
Love your review Yatzee! I couldn't help but laugh when the ZP baby fell out of its mom. As for Fallout 3, I really can't wait to play this game when I can get a chance to buy it.

And a hilarious fallout 3 review make a really nice birthday present. I'm 21, I can finally buy booze!

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Royas said:
Not the most amusing ZP ever, but not bad. I disagree with some of his points on Fallout 3, I didn't find the scenery at all monotonous, and saw little to no real similarity with Oblivion (except the 3-D, first person aspect). It seems that often what Yahtzee is complaining about in a game are things I really enjoyed.
Wait what?

juraigamer said:
Good game, good review, same old bethesda
You got 2/3 right

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
MolotoK said:
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....
Yet another person who couldn't let go of the fact that it wasn't Van Buren. *rolls eyes*

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old. Plus I liken it more to having spontaneously generated the ability to transform into Cleric John Preston and go all gun-kata on people (ok so I stole that from one of the designers who described it that way on the Making of DVD but whatever).

Really hope Bethesda figures out their uncanny valley problem because he's very right about that.

Black Ice

Dec 6, 2007
DeusFps said:
Review far cry 2 next?
That won't be disastrous. Oh wait, he called Fallout 3's environments monotonous...

I'd like to see LBP or Resistance 2 but I'm expecting Gears 2.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Did he....did he actually like this game? Wowza!

EDIT: I personally love this game...at least the 10+ hours I've put into it already.

Mr BeAsT

Nov 19, 2008
Hah the same happened to me with Far cry 2. I've had that games for ages too and still haven't gotten far, because of all the other games coming out ie. fallout 3 and now left 4 dead.

Feb 13, 2008
Argh...conflicting emotions...

No Adverts +1000 xp
Dingy Intro -10xp (cumulative)
Short, Sharp Joke Start: Gain a level
Having one of those bloody crustaceans in there : Go back to start.
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.
End quip : +10xp.

Overall, gain a level and 1000xp.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:

Yet another person who couldn't let go of the fact that it wasn't Van Buren. *rolls eyes*

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old.
*eye roll* Someone made a strawman

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
I'm surprised...Knowing how similar it is to Oblivion, I had a horrible feeling of impending doom, but...he said it isnt bad, which was utterly shocking o_o But i gotta agree with him, it gets a BIT monotonous, but i didnt mind that. However, i gotta say, im surprised he didnt complain about the retarded point-of-no-return ending...THAT pissed me off. ><

MarkusAurelius77

Jul 2, 2008
The review was funny, I'm surprised he didn't hammer the flaws. i enjoy the game, am still playing it, but it's far from perfect. Still, yahtzee's reviews are definitely a midweek highlight...

Mirokunite

Nov 22, 2007
I agree with the Far Cry 2 thing Yahtzee.

I got about half way through before Fallout 3 showed up at my front door. Followed by a few other games. So really its just sitting there waiting to get played.

MolotoK

Jul 16, 2008
AceDiamond said:
I'm not complaining about thinks like the first person view or the strange combat system but about things like the incredibly bad writing, unbelievable characters and missing freedom of choice (the main quest has NO CHOICE WHATSOEVER right until the last 30seconds of the game.)

All the strong points of FO1+2 are gone and all thats left is oblivion with new textures and guns.

jewru

Jun 1, 2008
LOL, that was awesome, one of the best yet. i liked fallout 3 , but i did notice it had some weak points, like the copy pasted train station tunnels . i was hoping Yahtzee would do fallout3.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Hurrah for the return of Branston Pickle. I wonder if the Universe would end if you spread it on Fallout 3? Would it be awesome?

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:

I live in a place where they don't sell it?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
derpa said:
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old.
*eye roll* Someone thought that was going to make me feel sorry for words.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Fallout 3 was to obvious of a target given all the pre/post-release from No Mutants Allowed, so I'm suprised this review isn't all bile.

As for a comparison with Oblivion, Fallout 3 is better... granted the flaws are still there but the game world is alot more interesting.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
MolotoK said:
I'm not complaining about thinks like the first person view
You can go into third person view.

or the strange combat system
You can play it just like the original Fallout games.

but about things like the incredibly bad writing, unbelievable characters
No better or worse than the original Fallout games.

and missing freedom of choice (the main quest has NO CHOICE WHATSOEVER right until the last 30seconds of the game.)
It has markedly more freedom in the main quest than the original games did, and a feck-ton more in the secondary quests. I don't ever recall a moment in Fallout 1/2 where I could nuke a quest hub.

Resolute

Nov 19, 2008
"There's a good reason why no one has ever tried to mix real time and turn-based combat." Actually, Parasite Eve 1 mixed those two elements and as a combat system (apparently giant mutant centipedes will kill you while exercising the utmost patience) it kind of sucked in comparison to its sequel that threw out the turn-based elements altogether. The game itself was pretty good, though.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Volucer said:
Indeed, the ending was a huge let down and didn't even make sense given who I had with me at the time...

Your asked to go into a radioactive area to push the 'end game' switch - or you can ask the lady with you. But for some reason, not the radiation proof super mutant with you... :| :\

EDIT:
The rest of the game I enjoyed, even with what Yahtzee pointed out, heh.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
MolotoK said:
AceDiamond said:
I'm not complaining about thinks like the first person view or the strange combat system but about things like the incredibly bad writing, unbelievable characters and missing freedom of choice (the main quest has NO CHOICE WHATSOEVER right until the last 30seconds of the game.)

All the strong points of FO1+2 are gone and all thats left is oblivion with new textures and guns.
You say you aren't complaining about the first-person and then use the "hurr Oblivion with guns" comment to sum it up. Can't have it both ways. And since you are complaining about the writing, characterization, and freedom of choice (oh I'm sorry was choosing to blow up an entire town or not choosy enough for you?), then ultimately your complaint is that it isn't Van Buren.

And since your initial comments of "worst sequel ever made" and "most disappointing game of the last 10 years" were just thrown out there without any sufficient evidence (even for opinion both those claims are pretty steep, I'm pretty sure Starfox Command is the worst sequel ever made since Nintendo has denounced it as non-canon) you can see how one ends up in a situation like this.

Lastly, like Yahtzee once said, he isn't a "sweary ninja for hire", so while one could expect or hope for him to assassinate a game just because one personally didn't like it, it isn't always going to happen. It's not like I'm broken up because he didn't tout it as 2008's game of the year, after all (hell I don't even think it is GOTY worthy)

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
imbaczek said:
if you really haven't played fallout 2, then i kinda forgive for this review. now go play it, coz now is the time and you're several years behind.
If I've sussed Yahtzee's playing preferences right, he probably would've gotten frustrated with Fallout 1 and 2's slow-paced combat and the way your followers tended to keep shooting you to death all the time and gave up before he could see those games' many good points. (Not that follower AI is great in FO3, but at least my best friends aren't constantly "accidentally" emptying an SMG into my rear end.)

Great review, surprised he liked it as much as he did (hey, I love FO3 but I generally expect him to be cynical as possible; "It was all right," from him is high praise). I agree with him on most of his points (though am slightly more forgiving of the subway tunnels ;) ).

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Doug said:
Volucer said:
Indeed, the ending was a huge let down and didn't even make sense given who I had with me at the time...

Your asked to go into a radioactive area to push the 'end game' switch - or you can ask the lady with you. But for some reason, not the radiation proof super mutant with you... :| :\\
I know. That really urked me.

I should have left him in that cell to die!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i disagree wth the similarities of oblivion. surprisingly, as bland as a post apocalyptic place can be, i didnt find it NEARLY as bland and boring as the landscape in oblivion. also, all the character interactions were done so insanely better. it honestly felt like a completely different game than oblivion, at least to me, despite the similarities that might be there.

basically, what i'm trying to say is, this is the first time i disagree with a review here. only in some small points, but i still dont know how to react with this newfound emotional trainwreck i have just walked into. i know he liked it, but i still have an issue with the comparisons to oblivion. i guess it's to be expected though.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
I agree with the stealing things part, it really has been ingrained into me that being the hero means everything in the game world is yours to own or smash to get the health/rupees inside.

It's probably why I enjoyed being a thief in Oblivion.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Loving the review Yahtzee :D

On another note...How long do you think it will take for this thread to be filled with "Fallout 3 has no right even existing near Fallout 1/2" people?

LoganAsh

Jul 7, 2008
"You eyes fall out.. Fall out 3, that is!"

I think that made this review for me! XD
Seriously though, very good, albeit a little on the short side. I'm really tempted to get this game and the only thing putting me off atm is, surprisingly, that Bethesda are behind it. I loved Oblivion, but found it's characters and sceanery very monotonous and very un-immersive. Clearly this is meant to gretly improve on that, but it's still a worry.

Either way, great ZP!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Liked the pickle sandwich part. And nice, another game he likes. Actually I did see the part of the E3 review making a comeback but never thought that Yahtzee would actually retrieve it. Good for him.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Ye it does get a bit monotonous. Then you sell a child to the slave traders and you instantly forgive the game for it. As always a review worth of applause. And while the quick-travel system isn't exactly immersive, it does help when you have to go to the other end of the world.

cmdr_zoom

Jul 17, 2007
For a ZP review, this is positively glowing. ;)

Three thoughts: one, I suspect he never got to the infamous ending. Two, it can get a little monotonous and silly, which is one reason I'm taking a short break from it now that I've finished it (the first time). And three, I suspect that the reason that the big name actors aren't given more lines and screen time is that they're bloody expensive.

mcderek3000

Nov 15, 2007
needausername said:
Haha, that first part was really good, (I mean the beginning 20 seconds) And I do agree with the Fallout 3, Oblivion thing, and I steal most stuff not stuck down too, except I don't pickpocket, as I suck at it...
I'm the exact opposite. I only steal if the owner of the house has been a real bastard to me. Fortunately, Oblivion had enough a-holes in it to let me finish the entire Thieves' Guild quest line. Anyone remember that annoying nobleman in Skingrad?

Lupie

May 14, 2008
No-where else on the internet makes me crave cheese and pickle sarnies with such clockwork regularity than this little hole.

I think that merits some sort of certificate, surely.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
I agrea with this review alot. Lol they did a better job on it but at the same time the change did go out the window very fast. It is good I will say that. More or less you just try to stumble accross stuff. I do agrea the ending was bad. I mean it was not a fall out ending at all. 1 and 2 we super this was good. My biggest problem with it was the lack of them massive play back. I mean this one has non of the oh you make you character wrong so you will loose half the story type play. I do say it still fun even though about 3 runs through the game will be most likly the end of the play back abilty this one has.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
what??
Yea there where some bad parts in the game (ended with me having 9000+ caps and 4000+ bullets for my Chinese assault rifle and about the same for my assault shotgun) but the worst part was the ending and how badly the level cap was made, i really hope that this will receive a video later on where he ads a few *****-slaps!
When you reach lvl 20 and realize that the 4points you spent on exp gaining perks and the Right-here-right-now perk you get really fucking ticked. Also Bobble heads wtf!? you have most likley min/maxed you char to perfection by the time you find them so they are worthless.

Oh and if u can bash Fable 2 for not letting you kill children then you should double that here for the little lantern area, usually i don't have a very strong desire to kill children but i hate to make empty threats.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
AceDiamond said:
derpa said:
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:

*eye roll* Someone thought that was going to make me feel sorry for words.
A strawman followed by an assumption, you're on a roll.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
I shot a Mole Rat in the neck and it's head flew off and rolled into a hole which turned out to be a tunnel full of goodies :)

"flawed masterpiece"

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Poptart Fairy

Which is flawed.

No you can't.

It has markedly more freedom in the main quest than the original games did, and a feck-ton more in the secondary quests. I don't ever recall a moment in Fallout 1/2 where I could nuke a quest hub.
*Facepalm.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
AUGH!

My heart, my heart! *thud, falls over, dead*

*scrittering sounds as rats come in to chew on the body*

. . yeah, on second thought, I wouldn't bother to review Farcry 2. It's so monotonous and sadly pathetic that it'd be like kicking your dead dog around the room.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
I'd just like to say that mixing turn-based and real-time combat doesn't always turn out horribly, just look at Valkyria Chronicles. Then again, those are two very different games. I'll shut up, now.

Zulu-Echo14

Jun 7, 2008
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old. Plus I liken it more to having spontaneously generated the ability to transform into Cleric John Preston and go all gun-kata on people (ok so I stole that from one of the designers who described it that way on the Making of DVD but whatever).

Really hope Bethesda figures out their uncanny valley problem because he's very right about that.
I have no problem about this game not being Van Buren, I do have problems however with this game completly raping the Fallout franchise, having the most awfull combat ever and having completly atrocious dialogue, this game is not a FPS/RPG, it more like some strange mix that uses only 2/5 FPS, 1/5 RPG and 2/5 suckiness.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
derpa said:
Poptart Fairy

Which is flawed.

No you can't.

*Facepalm.
So are you saying 1 and 2 are better than 3 or not. I haven't played any but I would like to start with the original, lately I have appreciated the classics more because gaming is not what it used to be.

We decided to be more positive Yahtzee? Finally a game that doesn't sound so messed up! I research either way, I'm a Yahtzee fan but I don't follow 'yay' or 'nay'.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I thought that was quite a bad review, it didn't seem to cover very much.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Hooray for the support of the Fallout series! Excellent description of the game and criticism of the odd unreal qualities Bethesda seems so fond of. I was wondering if he'd like this game and the fact that he does so cheers me up - and not just because I consider his words gospel.

And huge points to self-reference in flying off on Branston Pickle circa "No More Heroes," the Captain Picard notice circa "Oblivion" and another mention of "Mankind is Yet to Recognize My Genius" circa "Saints Row 2."

kharn-ivor

Nov 18, 2008
Agree with the VATS "problem" altough it pretty fun to watch ppl blow to little bits :p it does make the game super easy, a super mutant might be mildly scary if you couldnt stop it in its tracks and take a nice aim or two ^^

I dont get why they made a fps view then not have you doing the shooting i may have worked better in oblivion acctually were i always thought the fighting was about pressing attack enought. O well good games anyways :)

As for the issue of playing the other fallout, they are so far back in time and technology that a player should enjoy it without knowing about the others.

Etni

Oct 31, 2007
Was I the only one who thought the opening of this review was kinda blah? I mean, the joke is ancient. It's been around as long as there have been reviews. Or movies. Or radio programs. Or basically anything that has an intro and an outro.

No big deal, though, I was just surprised at how many people are praising it here. Overall the review was very good and funny, as ZP reviews usually are.

I don't see the VATS system as a problem, btw, since you need action points to use it and you can only get a couple of shots off before they run out.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Intro
Yeah, it's pretty good
Outro lol
it's okay though, you can still be king in F2 ;)

kharn-ivor

Nov 18, 2008
Etni said:
I don't see the VATS system as a problem, btw, since you need action points to use it and you can only get a couple of shots off before they run out.
Granted but after a couple of lvls you get a head shot in everytime and nothing can really survive long enough for you get into serious trouble(especially when ur hidding and get the critical), obviously their are exeptions but still makes the hole thing a tad easy.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Nazulu said:
So are you saying 1 and 2 are better than 3 or not. I haven't played any but I would like to start with the original, lately I have appreciated the classics more because gaming is not what it used to be.

We decided to be more positive Yahtzee? Finally a game that doesn't sound so messed up! I research either way, I'm a Yahtzee fan but I don't follow 'yay' or 'nay'.
Fallout 1 and 2 are better RPGs, while 3 is a better FPS.

Etni

Oct 31, 2007
kharn-ivor said:
Granted but after a couple of lvls you get a head shot in everytime and nothing can really survive long enough for you get into serious trouble(especially when ur hidding and get the critical), obviously their are exeptions but still makes the hole thing a tad easy.
Hmm, that does sound like a problem. Guess I just haven't gotten enough skill points in weapons yet. :)

rebochan

Apr 10, 2007
Wow, I guess Yahtzee didn't finish the story mode. I was expecting about ten minutes of screaming, followed by a credit roll.

Not that it makes Fallout 3 a bad game, but I have noticed people's opinion of the experience go from "GOLD!" to "SHIT!" if they finish the storyline. Man that was a lousy ending...

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
A great review as always Yahtzee, liked the start. The VATS system is good, but I still wish they would have put some form of slight autolock on the shooting (like in COD4), as when you are not using VATS the shooting can be annoying at times.

MJ12 Commando

Apr 17, 2008
I always bothers me how Yhatzee insists on playing games on the easiest setting and then complains on the being too easy. I basically play the way he did a good karma character with thieving skills and I find hard and very hard setting still quite challenging at times. Theft in the original Fallouts didn't make you lose karma at all so I still think this is a step forward.

I haven't finished the storyline yet so maybe thats why i like the game so much while still being a fan of the original games.

Meneguzzi

Apr 22, 2007
I have to say that the analogy with Branston pickle is very appropriate indeed. Although Branston pickle says "Pickle" on the jar, the taste, consistency and look of it have nothing to do with actual pickles. Rather than being tasty solid pieces of vegetable it's a brownish goo with some bits that may or may not have been part of the cucumber that supposedly went into the recipe. At the end of the day, if you ever decide to live in England and want to buy a sandwich for lunch, steer clear of sandwiches that say Pickle in the ingredients. You may try one to get the experience, but if you are not English, you won't have this "acquired" taste.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
MolotoK said:

Because to many reviewers where having so much fun with it :p . I have to remind myself that fallout has the largest broken fanbase ever. No matter what they did with fallout, none of those fans would have liked it.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
MJ12 Commando said:
I always bothers me how Yhatzee insists on playing games on the easiest setting and then complains on the being too easy. I basically play the way he did a good karma character with thieving skills and I find hard and very hard setting still quite challenging at times. Theft in the original Fallouts didn't make you lose karma at all so I still think this is a step forward.

I haven't finished the storyline yet so maybe thats why i like the game so much while still being a fan of the original games.
it was not a step forward....

lockgar said:
Because to many reviewers where having so much fun with it :p . I have to remind myself that fallout has the largest broken fanbase ever. No matter what they did with fallout, none of those fans would have liked it.
Yea none of the fans have liked it *eye roll*

Papopapo456

Nov 19, 2008
A very nice review... as usual. I thought he was going to review Left 4 Dead, but Fallout 3 its ok too.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
derpa said:
it was not a step forward....
Says you. Don't forget that your opinion isn't the only one in the world. I know, I know.. it's hard.

derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
No, really. He had a point. No matter what you do with Fallout 3, you will have pissed off fanboys. You'll please some and you'll displease the rest. There really is no "magical formula" that would have taken the franchise into the current generation and pleased every single Fallout fan.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
even though i really thought the begining hilarious and agreed with almost every point he made i didn't laugh at all which is wierd cause i always laugh (!atleast!) twice but atleast he reviewed it and it wasn't boring

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
derpa said:
I raise your *eye roll* with my own *eye roll*. About the only thing *eye roll* the "broken fanbase" would have enjoyed, is if they made another fallout game that looked like it was made in 1999, complete with low resolution sprites and talking heads *eye roll*. Then they would have complained that it wasn't different enough *eye roll*.

Like Yahtzee said "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous voices the happier you'll be for it."

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
derpa said:
Stop moaning. Why don't you back up your claims with some actual reasoning. Your opinion is not the law, you may be entitled to it, but that also means people are allowed to disagree with you.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
The opening took me off guard. Pretty funny. All in all I guess thats all Fallout 3 is, a re-skinned and improved upon Oblivion.

Still enjoying the game though!

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
UGH, I typed out a lot of words then the stupid fucking forum jutted me onto a page and erased my post. In short.

- I have the same problem with Far Cry 2.
- Fallout 3 was amazing.
- Im looking forward to your disappointment of Mirrors Edge. It's a game that is 3 hours max if you use guns and 5 hours if you don't because you will have to repeat the same tedious room 50+ times before you finally get it right.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
So dare I say it? Is this Oblivion With Guns? Why yes it is! Good effort, it's certainly "next generationalised", nothing groundbreaking though, so moving on.

My stance on Fallout 3 converges with that of No Mutants Allowed (how's that for content?), except that I do agree that Bethesda can do whatever they want with the (non-FOOL) franchise, since they bought it and you know, their house, their rules. In my opinion, Gunsblivion doesn't even come close to the originals. But I guess I'm too old skoolz about things now since I like story telling, atmosphere, fitting music, voice acting, believable animations, strategy and stuff like that.

I've read another Fallout 3 review from this new skoolz journalist in a Belgian periodical and he stated as a negative point that the game still had a kind of "RPG" in it, which meant you'd have to *gasp* sit through dialogues and such.

New skoolz, man. Them's the beats now.

Ilvaldyr

Nov 19, 2008
I'm still enjoying Fallout 3; I'm judging it by as a standalone game and not as a franchise; but the Oblivion comparisons are definately ones I made myself about 5 minutes in, but I don't mind that at all.. Oblivion was a great game.

I've played both the PS3 and PC versions of the game; on the PC it tends to crash fairly frequently, and I'm not hugely impressed with the sensitivity on manual aiming on the PS3, which makes fighting a fast-moving enemy in close quarters a nightmare. VATS solves that problem, but I do incongruously feel like I'm copping out whenever I use it. Maybe I am, or just need more practice on the PS3 or a more responsive controller or something.

I play F3 on the hardest possible setting and that really does mitigate the issue of having tons of cash/ammo/stims early in the game. Playing on the easier settings, it's perfectly possible to run around for hours two-shotting things with your noob-pistol; and that's no fun.. this does however lead to even faster (it's already very fast) levelling as you gain more XP for killing enemies in higher difficulty settings.

Probably the most annoying thing though is that the main quest is too short and once you beat it the game ends and you can't continue exploring. I'm also not a huge fan of the character customization system, specifically the skillbooks and bobbleheads. You max out your Sneak and Lockpicking skills because you want to pick Very Hard locks and stealth around, only to find so many (now useless) bobbleheads/skillbooks in the wilderness that you feel like a moron for wasting about a third of your characters ENTIRE skillpoint allocation.

So, you restart and are so paranoid about spending points that your character ends up with lots of low-mid level skills, sucks at basically everything, and spends the whole game either microscopically analyzing each location in case there's a skillbook/bobblehead there or researching the 'net/buying the strategy guide and spoiling the immersion factor.

My other big problem; the game takes quite a while to really branch out and let you choose your preferences. On my first run through, I invested heavily into Energy Weapons on the basis that "Laz0rz are cool." only to find that they were incredibly hard to find in the earlier levels and that Small Guns were everywhere.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
derpa said:
I think you're a bit lost. You see, this is the Zero Punctuation forum.

The forums for never-satisfied, "It's not Van Buren!" Fallout "fans" are over here [http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/].

Toiboi

Nov 14, 2008
until your eyes fall out FALLOUT 3 that is lol wow that was so corny but its so funny to watch a guy ramble on like this because its all true great job

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
VMerken said:
So dare I say it? Is this Oblivion With Guns? Why yes it is! Good effort, it's certainly "next generationalised", nothing groundbreaking though, so moving on.

My stance on Fallout 3 converges with that of No Mutants Allowed (how's that for content?), except that I do agree that Bethesda can do whatever they want with the (non-FOOL) franchise, since they bought it and you know, their house, their rules. In my opinion, Gunsblivion doesn't even come close to the originals. But I guess I'm too old skoolz about things now since I like story telling, atmosphere, fitting music, voice acting, believable animations, strategy and stuff like that.

I've read another Fallout 3 review from this new skoolz journalist in a Belgian periodical and he stated as a negative point that the game still had a kind of "RPG" in it, which meant you'd have to *gasp* sit through dialogues and such.

New skoolz, man. Them's the beats now.
O god, no more mutant forums, I believe someone had said something like this. ?All of the normal people are no longer a part of the 'Fallout Community,' they're just fans of the games. The people who are a part of the 'Fallout Community' have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred."

http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=features&id=14

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Oh, hell yes!

YAHTZEE!

If you want to have fun, next review: Cooking Mama, Mama Kills Animals (Peta's Unauthorized Version).

Xaintrix

Sep 19, 2008
I have to go to a specialty store just to get my Branston. Really, it's worth every penny.

Bring Out the Branston!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Royas said:
The opening was a real hoot, actually got a "WTF?" from me before I realized what was happening.
Yeah i had a "WTF?!" moment myself.
Im not laughing as much as i used to at these, but i guess it must be because Yahtzee isn't reviewing games that _I_ have any interest in or am excited about. But keep up the good work Yahtzee.

Pablosdog

Nov 17, 2008
Funny this talk about the the fallout fans as automatically hating fallout 3.

What the hell?

Even Brother None liked some parts of it.

I view it a as a flawed but overall fun game. It's better than Oblivon, but there are so many glaring errors in the game I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't pick up on. Namely (Lame Story, Crap A.I, Houses that stand around in amazing condition for 200 years, clunky combat system, horrible horrible dialogue,godawful facial texturing, and a terrible terrible ending.)

And no, fallout 1 and 2 did NOT play anything like this game. Not even close.

This general hate of NMA and its posters is getting old. Most of the reasonable people at NMA are actually having some fun with it.

In response though to those that hate the game. Wouldn't you be a little miffed when a sequel to a game that you've been waiting for for 10 years ended up having LESS of almost everything and simplified gameplay. Not to mention killing off one of your favorite characters, raping canon and being a game of a completely different genre altogether?
(Its a free roam fps with some rpg elements, a la stalker)

Entharion

Nov 13, 2007
This was an epic review, and I agree, it seems more like a mod to oblivion than a new game by itself. not that that's bad. but the similarities were there.

P.S. I love that starting bit "yeah it's pretty good" strikes genius.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm so happy he reviewed Fallout 3! I was shocked he liked it though. I loved the beginning part!
wow he really loves branston pickle!

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
Dear Mr. Yahtzee,

I have to say I was dissapointed with your latest review. Not because you're wrong, but because I'm so addicted to this game and quite how immersively brilliant it is, I was riding all my caps... damn it.

Okay start again... I was hoping that you could work your cynical magic and break the spell this game holds over me. Unfortunately this hasn't happened, and now I'm very much likely to continue enjoying this phenomenal game far, far past the point where I care about how long I've been spending in it, this point lies in an area of time which I like to term the "Momorpuhgur Zone". You can keep that one, but it'll cost you a Chinese Assault Rifle, a Mini Nuke or 150 Caps (or an item of equal trade value).

Manly Hugs and Kisses,
President Arkitext, The White House, D.C.

P.S. Your review of Dead Space was spot on.
P.P.S Not enough swearing in this episode.

Vromnir

Sep 23, 2008
Wrds said:
finally someone reviews this that i actually agree with. Thanks this was a great review.

hilarious and i couldnt agree more with everything you said

every review looks at it from a Fallout series point of view, but i looked at it right away from an Oblivion point of view.
Why?

Its a Fallout game, so look at it from a Fallout point of view.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I thought Yahtsee was very interested in that First-Person platform jumping game... Mirror's Edge! That's it, now I remember. Anyways good review, as always. Now I might actually check this out and still hate it.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
DeathQuaker said:
imbaczek said:
If I've sussed Yahtzee's playing preferences right, he probably would've gotten frustrated with Fallout 1 and 2's slow-paced combat and the way your followers tended to keep shooting you to death all the time and gave up before he could see those games' many good points. (Not that follower AI is great in FO3, but at least my best friends aren't constantly "accidentally" emptying an SMG into my rear end.)
Well, actually, they do. You also better pick up any missile launcher or fat man up before they do or you will notice how much more damaging the splash damage of a nuke is for you then a supermutant while you get blown back into Oblivion (pun intendet). And nothing beats one of your companions laser gattling his name into your ass.

@Topic:

Beside the "Pretty good" thing, which is a Crowning Moment Of Awesome, I can hardly escape the impression Yahtzee never finished the damn game because while the game is great in some aspects and can be forgiven the tiny little things nibbling on your shins, the main quest and especially the ending is just insulting. The endbosses are a joke, even without a high speech skill, the last decision is nonsensical in every damn way - especially if you have a companion with basically a free "get out of prison" card who could do that job just as well - a extremly short ending sequence without any of the flair of it's predecessors and of course the simple fact that you cannot continue after solving the main quest ... in a SANDBOX GAME!

Futhermore, the karma system is so easily exploited a five year old could do it, VATS is a god cheat in its own, the entirety of the stats and perks have - with few exceptions - little to no effect on the game and the dialog is as always in Bethesda games very badly written.

Again, like in Oblivion, it really has potential for greatness. Just somehow I think Bethesda has some strange work sharing strategy, where the sidequests are written by witty and intelligent human beeings while the main quest is developed by a retarded manatee.

Also, I like the beginning. Nice way to immerse you into the world and make the whole character creation thing more part of the gameplay then the typical excel spreadsheed RPG approach. However - and this goes for every damn tutorial - when do you learn to make it skippable for gods sake? I don't want to go through these 30 minutes when starting with another, more dickhead character.

Anyway, great job Mr. Obama!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, Yahtzee is not much for stat based, turn based games, unlike me. So I'd imagine he really hated Fallout 1 & 2 if he bothered to play them. I notice that one of his bigged complaints was the VATS system, yet ultimatly that is one of the biggest redeeming features of the game to me. Yes I can play FPS type games, but I tend to vastly prefer RPGs.

Overall, I think Fallout 3 was a pretty bloody awesome game. However I don't think it was a good FALLOUT game. Not simply because I would have preferred Van Buren (which I probably would have) but simply because the game didn't capture the atmosphere of the previous games. It had little of the depravity, sex, or sick humor of the previous games, when as a sequel it should have carried those elements forward to new and unprecedented levels.

I guess the biggest problem is that Bethesda has become a group of cowards, especially given the liberal establishment being in charge right now (not a major political criticism, but understand I'm miffed still about "Hot Coffee" and how Hillary Clinton seemed to lead the charge there, and then it snowballed into the destruction of Manhunt 2's content). I notice they were screaming for forgiveness from the ESRB over fan-made nudity patches for Oblivion, and that Fallout 3 is missing a set of editing/design tools. Unlike many I don't think that is a mistake, and Bethesda is pondering how to release such a thing while still being able to control/censor the content people release on their own.

Ultimatly I simply think Bethesda should have launched a totally new post apocolyptic franchise without the "Fallout" name attached, simply because they should have realized from day #1 that they were going to be unwilling to do a lot of what made that game great.

Look at it this way: Yahtzee nailed Fable 2 for being unable to kill your kids. Well Fallout 3 goes one step further. Not only are you able to kill kids in Fallout 3, but they are obnoxious brats who point guns at you (Little Lamplight referance).

Truth be told as someone who likes post apocolyptic RPGs, and turn based RPGs, I would like to see something like the original Fallouts with new technology.

Also I think Bethesda would be better served to pick up TSR/WoTC's old "Gamma World" liscence. The stat engine being a bit more like Oblivion in most editions, and it also has flashy mutant powers and such that don't belong in Fallout, but would allow them to really take advantage of flashy first/third person effects. Gamma World also having no real expectations of a certain level of depravity, and it was always high camp, which means it fits their style a little bit better than the defining bitter satire of the Fallout series.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
derpa said:
Which is flawed.
Third person is third person, dear.

No you can't.
I'm playing it just like the originals. Use VATs, wait for AP to recharge, repeat. Feels just like the originals to me.

*Facepalm.
Yup, thought so. You can't refute it. I'm guessing you're one of those NMA berks who seeth hate and bile about the game, but run off and cry in a corner when called out on specifics.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Still waiting for you to review Wrath Of The Lich King, Yahtzee. You've done a number of other MMO's and mentioned WoW a number of times, it's time to review it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I do not need a Fallout sequel.
I do however require less FPS in my RPG.
An RPG needs a good story and characters beyond everything else. As long as Fallout claims to be an RPG, it needs these things.
Fallout 3 fails in these aspects, as do most FPS's (even the loudly touted once like Bioshock and Half-life are pretty damn thin in the story comartments. One can see the twists coming for miles.)
As such, Fallout 3 fails me as an RPG and game.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
That was review one of my favs. Plus Fallout 3 is just an awesome game.

VATS gets even more fun when you get the "bloody mess" (I think that's what it's called...) perk.

Plus, it's not that I hate at the manual FPS aspect of the game, but VATS is not only more entertaining, but you save a lot more bullets that way.

WTG, Yahtzee.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
I actually really enjoyed the VAT system.

But then I am one of the worst FPS players I know, so I guess he's right. -_-

Agent_No_One

Apr 18, 2008
lol the beginning threw me off, great review.
im afraid i had to keep this short i have a 3 o clock branston pickle swim meeting.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Hey, Im pretty surprised how similar to my own views this review actually. Well, at least in some respects. It is a good game, but I have to admit to a certain unexplained sense of boredom playing through every now and again.

Still, while its nice to see the leveling up too fast get a mention, there was no point about how the maximum amount of levels can be reached before youve even passed the halfway mark of this game. Maybe Im being a reactionary tit by saying this, but I got a distinct impression this was Bethesdas insulting the player returning from Oblivion. I felt the lack of guilds, and exciting things to do in them was Bethesdas idiotic way to try and make sure I didnt get overwhelmed by Oblivion. It succeeded wholeheartedly by leaving completely and totally underwhelmed. Fallout 3's ridiculously generous xp and levelling, not to mention low cap, makes me feel like Bethesda was operating under the assumption I wasnt in for the long haul and fixed leveling to cater to that. Again, if this is the case, it worked like a charm because levelling up too fast is one area that destroyed some of my interest in continuing to play the game. Levelling up would be rewarding if you didnt do it again a short time later, that is until you hit the level cap and all sense of reward in participating in combat is destroyed. Once you hit level 20, if you ask me you should just gun it Oblivion tower style and finish the game sooner.

Also, Im surprised I didnt see the main plot take a horrendous beating. I have played Fallout 1 and 2 (Im about to commit Fallout blasphemy here, so true Fallout fans get ready to flame me) and while I think they are good games and respect them, they have to me some of the worst main plots ever created. Its simply "fetch quest" followed by "villain hunt". Ill admit to the backstory often being much more interesting, and that outside of that bare bones view of the plot, interesting stuff does happen but still, I cant stand the main plots. This means that Fallout 3 is for me a worthy successor, because it has a crap main plot that even goes so far as to rip off the original plot.

*Spoilers to those who havent finished fallout 3 or the first Fallout!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Both Fallout and Fallout 3 plotline wise can be summed up this way to me: Find Water Chip/Father - Enclave/Mutant army is revealed - stop The Master's/President Eden's plan to mutate everyone/kill all mutants to achieve "unity"/"purity".

Also, great point about Bethesda wasting voice acting talent. Its definitely not the first time Ive heard that pointed out about them, but it wasnt quite as humorously done as it was in that review. Overall though, Fallout 3 has given me a lot of enjoyment, so even though its got some easy to make criticisms, I still consider it to be a good game, well worth the money I paid.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Good episode

It felt it a little short, but otherwise, it was pretty good

alienmastermind

Nov 19, 2008
I really liked the game. So much so, that I wrote and drew two comics about it at another site.

This is the second ZP to make me laugh out loud in the first three seconds. The other was the GTA IV one. I don't remember why...Also the Halo 3 bloom illustration was exactly what I thought about Halo 3.

Good one this time Yahtzee.

Oh, and I'm a guy who beat 5 days a Stranger with only two of the hints. Damn that ritual.

Yahtzee, it's good to see a fella make good. I also have the audio from your webcomic rant as my sort of ten commandments, though my comic is about two dudes...and one of them is sort of like me...neither are particularly 'wacky' or 'cool'.

That's why you're making fat bags of that awesome neon colored Australian money, and I'm watching you and pissing myself laughing.

Thanks for the hard work and laughs,

Alienmastermind.

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
This review wasn't nearly critical enough. Check out mine. http://expensiveplanetarium.blogspot.com/2008/10/comments-on-fallout-3.html

alienmastermind

Nov 19, 2008
Hey Xaositect, is your avatar from Red Dwarf? If so, will you be my friend?

:)

Spoiler: The ending, the very ending of the game...I had a special friend with me. Someone who should have been able to avoid all of the 'all or nothing' decision. That for me was a real piece of crap storytelling. Don't let me have a friend who literally thirty minutes ago did the same exact thing for me to get the G.E.C.K. and CAN'T do it at the end and prevent me or some lady from dying.

Total hog balls.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
MolotoK said:

As we all know children, it is a terrible crime to like a game that MolotoK thinks was bad.

Okay, stretching that a bit too much.

I completely disagree with your view of the game being "the most disappointing game in the last decade". I think the game is crazy fun and I'm looking forward to finally completing my last school assessment so that I can play it until my eyes Fallout 3. I can't understand why someone would not like it. However, I don't say that by not liking it, you are ignorant. I don't suggest that you've missed some higher experience that would completely change your opinion of the game.

So you think that it's a terrible game? Fantastic. Just don't blurt out that the people who like it are wrong.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
It's not loading for me.
=/
This happens every time they come out new. I can't wait for it to load...

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
It looked a whole lot like Yahtzee was grasping for straws when trying to find flaws in Fallout 3. Hell, the fact that he's having difficulty finding valid flaws just shows how good the game is.

Though, this was pretty weak compared to his previous reviews in my opinion. Almost as if he didn't really want to write the review.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Says you. Don't forget that your opinion isn't the only one in the world. I know, I know.. it's hard.
No, says the flawed system they put into play for stealing and karma.

derpa said:
No, really. He had a point. No matter what you do with Fallout 3, you will have pissed off fanboys. You'll please some and you'll displease the rest. There really is no "magical formula" that would have taken the franchise into the current generation and pleased every single Fallout fan.
Easy way was to not dumb the game down....but oh well.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Ryuzaki said:
derpa said:
Stop moaning. Why don't you back up your claims with some actual reasoning. Your opinion is not the law, you may be entitled to it, but that also means people are allowed to disagree with you.
Wait where did I say it was law? Oh thats right now where, you took it to be saying it was law.

Also don't even know how you quoted that and even got anything from moaning? You happen to have a source where all the fans didn't like it? hmmmm

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
thetragicclown said:
derpa said:
I think you're a bit lost. You see, this is the Zero Punctuation forum.

The forums for never-satisfied, "It's not Van Buren!" Fallout "fans" are over here [http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/].
Hmmm, seems lots of people on here like to make assumptions, where did I say I never had any fun with fallout 3? hmmm?

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Poptart Fairy said:
Third person is third person, dear.
I never disagreed it wasn't 3rd person, I just stated it was a flawed 3rd person.

I'm playing it just like the originals. Use VATs, wait for AP to recharge, repeat. Feels just like the originals to me.
Yea since Action point combat it all that was in the originals. *eye roll*

Yup, thought so. You can't refute it. I'm guessing you're one of those NMA berks who seeth hate and bile about the game, but run off and cry in a corner when called out on specifics.
Never been on NMA but nice try. Fallout 3 is a spin-off and not a Fallout 3 its that easy. Bad RPG, but amusing FPS with some RPG elements thrown in, like Oblivion just better.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I wish Yahtzee would do a 3 second review and all we got out of it was the crappy music and wasted time for reviews that are being demanded constantly.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Wow, my favorite game at the moment didn't get a reaming. They have mods now where stealing means no loss of karma so... you can be the almighty kleptomaniac saint if you really want to.
Fallout 3 is a great game with all the elements being on the same level of "good" so this review pretty much hits it on the head. There isn't a whole lot to talk about specifically unless you want to compare it to the old games.

P.S. Can you get Branston pickle in the states?

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

No Adverts +1000 xp
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.

Hey root, normally I enjoy your post, but whaaat are you talking about?

Sibbo

Mar 6, 2008
I was wondering why when pickpocketing ppl you lose karma when u give them money/guns, that seems a bit strange to me.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
United States
MolotoK said:
I think he has, if for no other reason that in his Bioshock Review, he mentioned how Bioshock "At best, took a few pointers from fallout, and at worst, totally ripped it off".

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Man, bring on the official 'Sweet Hat' mod, or for all you console tards, DLC. :p

Good review, for all its flaws here and there, F3 still a darn good game, and its pretty obvious that Ben enjoyed himself.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
I'm surprised Yahtzee, an adventure game maker himself, didn't pick up on the amount of story absurds this game had.

theklng

May 1, 2008
ha! i am now convinced that yahtzee belongs to a special breed of people, what with the reference to objectivism/ayn rand.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
derpa said:
THis may be just asking for trouble, but I'll go ahead anyway.
I've seen it said many a time that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both highly dumbed down RPGs. May I ask how? I haven't played any older rpgs, but from what I played of Oblivion and ave heard of Fallout 3 they seem like they have a lot of character customisation and choices that can be made throughout the game.
Something I would consider a dumbed down rpg is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, which had a ludicrously small amount of character development (admittedly it more than made up for it with a fantastic combat system)

Anyone have any explanation of this?

Hearthing

Aug 20, 2008
Funny intro, but I'm supprised you didn't pick up the game isn't worth the money the that was spent on it. The story is liquid, which I was shocked you didn't pick up on :( and the ending is like someone watched too much anime before they added the final bit to it. (I'm calling this Red Alert 3 virus, by the way.)

Also, loving the Branston. Keep it up.

zanthox

Nov 19, 2008
Pretty good review, I personally loved the first two but am open minded enough to not care for any elder scroll games but love FO3.

Anyway, for Yahtzee, kinda relating to the reason no one has tried mixing turn based and real time gameplay: I've got Valkyria Chronicles (ps3) shipping for cheap (I think the price is back up now) and that seems like a good slight mix of the two, you should try it out when all these 'more interesting games' stop coming out.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
DeathQuaker said:
imbaczek said:

Great review, surprised he liked it as much as he did (hey, I love FO3 but I generally expect him to be cynical as possible; "It was all right," from him is high praise). I agree with him on most of his points (though am slightly more forgiving of the subway tunnels ;) ).
Or aspoding you with chaingun fire when you get a tile too close to the enemies, heh. Happened to me more than once! And I have to admit to being surprised he liked Fallout 3 too. I figured he didn't like Oblivion and would see it as a clone of Oblivion with guns (hence wouldn't like it).

But they have improved the engine from Oblivion to Fallout, I reckon. I did have a list, but my brain has choosen now to forget them.

spazzattack

Mar 25, 2008
Yahtzee didn't really complain about this game. I think Fallout 3 might actually be a secret favorite of his, that he can't reveal because he's reviewing it. It deffinitely isn't his trademark "tear-at-every-flaw-and-loose-end-until-the-game-is-a-bloody-stump".

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
whyarecarrots said:
derpa said:
THis may be just asking for trouble, but I'll go ahead anyway.
I've seen it said many a time that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both highly dumbed down RPGs. May I ask how? I haven't played any older rpgs, but from what I played of Oblivion and ave heard of Fallout 3 they seem like they have a lot of character customisation and choices that can be made throughout the game.
Something I would consider a dumbed down rpg is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, which had a ludicrously small amount of character development (admittedly it more than made up for it with a fantastic combat system)

Anyone have any explanation of this?
Well I could type a lot, but here is a good one to read for Oblivion, http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

You can notice a lot of similarities with Fallout 3 too, but at least fallout 3 is pretty fun out of the box as a FPS, hopefully a CS comes out soon for it though.

If you really still want after reading that, I can write a long post explaining.

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
now that is stealing, i love when you can just take what you waNT BUT SERIUSELY all that money at 4 . shit that just makes it a little to easy to buy all the shit you need why can't the people make a credible game where even if you steal their stuff that at least a couple people get pissed and at least try to kick your ass

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
No offense Yahtzee but i feel a bit used in a way...
There was no introduction to what Fallout used to be or what it is now and i didn't really see much of a major conclusion.
Other than that i enjoyed what you were saying about Oblivion... its very true.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Fair revew I'd say. Can you really go around stealing every single objec and still have a high karma level? I found playing it on the hardest difficulty I still had way too much stuff without even looting 1 damn thing that's not on a decaparated mutant (my specialty) or hidden in a complexed sewage system resembling the London tube! All in all though I like it, and it's a nice play through - plus 100% better than Farcry 2.

You'll have a field day reviewing that, since all you have to do is say that "it takes too freaking long to get anywhere" and that's more or less it. GTA, but bigger, with enemies respawning constantly and you not being able to go around them so you get the same bloody encounter over and over and over and over. Kind of like really REALLY old 'actionadventure' games such as System Shock 2 where every time you entered a room you had two or three new mutants to jump around the corner at you. Another annoying aspect is that for you to actually know how to point and shoot a weapon properly you need its specific instruction manual which you have to buy with diamonds (which are amazingly also a currency on some anonymous black market website that accepts imaginary-credit-card-diamonds) and the first problem you encounter is actually getting any. First off you have the main quests - if you don't want to play the game really. Side quests (though I haven't seen very much there if at all) and the "oh look I wonder what that blinking light means" which seems to be your primary source of income at least for the first part of the game and this is the mechanic:
Light in your car starts blinking as you are driving along. You stop. You get shot at. You quickload and get on your turret. You shoot back. You look around untill light stops blinking and head in that direction and get it... All very well in theory but gets a bit repetitive, the only mildly interresting aspect to this is that it is in a different location each time (either on a cliff face, in some bushes or the middle of a lake).

Yes. Either review Farcry2 because it's an easy task to find flaws or just don't bother - probably one of the worst games of the year. Well after CoD5 that is. And that's a whole different story.

Feb 13, 2008
Magnetic2 said:

No Adverts +1000 xp
*shivers*

I tried to play it as if it was a quest for levels. And I hate bloody lobsters :)

SpaceViking

Nov 19, 2008
Well, that answers one question I've always had. "How does Yahtzee finish all these games or even get very far in them?" He doesn't. Pretty obvious from his comments about Liam Nelson and his lack of comments about the ending.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Zeldadudes said:
There was no introduction to what Fallout used to be or what it is now and i didn't really see much of a major conclusion.
I think he was trying to review the game for what it was; not what it used to be.

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Zeldadudes said:
I think he was trying to review the game for what it was; not what it used to be.
He compared Fable 2 to Fable 1 though... I used to play the original and i was just slightly disappointed when i noticed that Yahtzee didn't even look at its predecessors.

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
You could've just done the first 20 seconds worth and it would've still been amazing, nice work! XD

Omnimmotus

Nov 19, 2008
Whew. In some of your previous reviews, I thought you'd forgotten that even if you are known for tearing games apart, that doesn't mean they don't deserve a little praise. (Sometimes.) I was deathly afraid your Fallout review might not give the game the credit it deserves, which is a reasonable amount. No worries though, a well done review.

Pretty much agreed on all points. FYI, the game data files still contain references to Conjuration and Destruction magic (Well, all schools of magic) and the moon is called Masser (One of Masser and Secunda, the two TES moons), so yes, on the technical aspect its Oblivion with guns. Not that I mind. Also, I was shockingly disappointed you didn't comment on the sudden, plot-hole ridden ending, although its not really the point of the game. The point is mostly what you do besides the main quest, to be honest. (And that's how it should be in Fallout.)

All in all, a good review. I mean hey, I registered here just to make this comment. Oh, and I must agree on Bethesda hiring only the best for the characters they plan to toss away uselessly. But it was more justified for the Dad in Fallout, he really came across sincere. I actually felt like I cared about the family characters they'd given me in the game, for once.

I don't know how much you looked into it, but to me, Oblivion was made great not by the base game but by the deep modding community. If/when Bethesda releases a Fallout 3 Construction Set, which is looking likely, keep an eye on the modding community.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone wondering, yes I played the first Fallout games, and yes I was a huge fan of them. Fallout 3 is in some ways better and in some ways worse. Still, all things considered, I think Bethesda did a good job, and really captured the Fallout atmosphere. Some of the depth in conversation was lost, but I've never seen the wasteland rendered in such beautiful glory.

Skiz

Apr 30, 2008
Yea, the game was okay, blah.

I'm just happy that The Escapist finally got rid of that fucking Banjo preview bullshit. And the advert at the beginning of the fucking videos.

imbaczek

Nov 19, 2008
Vromnir said:
Its a Fallout game, so look at it from a Fallout point of view.
No point since this game sucks from a Fallout point of view. No, scratch that. This game is not bad. It's wrong.

EDIT: BTW if FO3 is really better than Oblivion in every way, then I have absolutely no reason to try Oblivion.

Bourguit

Oct 19, 2008
He should have stopped after the first 20 seconds. That would have been hilarious.

guyy

Mar 6, 2008
I loved the part where he finds a pile of money under a table, and steals the table instead of the money.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
MolotoK said:

Possibly because it was a good game.

But i forgive you. Your a fanboy and any departure from what you knew would seem bad to you. Its like the people who thought V For Vendetta was bad because it wasnt exactly like the comic.

The fact that you seem to think playing the origionals would make him review it less favorably reveals your bias. Its an entire freakin new company! its not going to be the same!

And the game can be made harder than Ben found it by not stealing, as i learned firsthand.

One thing that struck me was when i killed a character and put on his (unique and well known) clothing and no one seemed to notice or care. If i walked into Hefners bedroom you heard a "Boom!" and i came out wearing his pajamas wouldnt you wonder?

No point since this game sucks from a Fallout point of view. No, scratch that. This game is not bad. It's wrong.

EDIT: BTW if FO3 is really better than Oblivion in every way, then I have absolutely no reason to try Oblivion.
But, it was better than some of the Fallout games, yeah? If you dont think so, then you either dont know the series or are too deluded by it to judge a games worth. For instance Fallout: BOS which was eventualy voted out of the Canon.

EDIT: Well, Oblivion is in a different genre, so if you like Fantaasy over Post-Apocolypse then yea...Oblivion. Or better yet, Fable 2.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Left 4 Dead...yes...that would be...pretty good.

Congrats on your first post being for a worthwhile cause.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Nice review Yahtzee, although a bit shor... nevermind.

I actually had the chance to buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics yesterday in a 3-in-1 pack.

Perhaps I should have bought it...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
lmao, the first part really made me laugh

it sounds interesting, but im not sure its worth the money, because i get bored really easily and if its monotonous then ill probably forget it in about 2 days :p

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Zeldadudes said:
He compared Fable 2 to Fable 1 though... I used to play the original and i was just slightly disappointed when i noticed that Yahtzee didn't even look at its predecessors.
I think he did that because he reviewed the first Fable. I don't think he reviewed the other Fallouts, unless it was before he discovered the glory of YouTube.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:

I'm not from Austrailia. So give me (and everyone else not from Austrailia) a break.

Pertaining to the review, I'm assuming that he liked it enough to give it a seal of approval.

Tsuki Tanaka

Sep 3, 2008
sky14kemea said:

it sounds interesting, but im not sure its worth the money, because i get bored really easily and if its monotonous then ill probably forget it in about 2 days :p
Did you like Oblivion?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Tsuki Tanaka said:
sky14kemea said:

Did you like Oblivion?
it was ok, but honestly i never finished it...
*looks at game*
hmm

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
"There's a good reason why noones ever tried mixing realtime and turn based combat..."

wtf, there are a lot of games that try to be in between realtime and turn based. None of them are real great, but people have tried. like Grandia 3.

Anyway, in general I like your reviews.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Goddamnit, once again I'm hamstrung by my worthless isp. Everything is loading except for the video. Chrome, IE and Firefox all proudly display"done" in their respective loading zones, yet all I have is a grey box.

Pretty please, escapist magazine, give us a download link? *I'd switch isps, but I can't afford the contract cancelling fees* :(

psuedopod

Nov 20, 2008
I think there IS a game that mixes the real time and turn based fights fairly ok.. Orphen on the PS2.... fair enough its mostly real time but the fact you cant move makes it feel a bit turn based... anywho just a comment >.<....

impulsecss

Nov 20, 2008
Hi, Yahtzee, long time watcher/first time poster.

Whats with the crack at objectivism? I'm pretty sure objectivism stresses the rights(and, therefore, the material possessions) of the individual. Wasn't Atlas Shrugged about fighting the "looters?" I'm sure that went over everyone else's head, but not mine.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
I just shot a man point-blank in the face with the combat shotgun. His head exploded in slow motion; one eyeball flew one way, the other flew the other way and a chunk of jawbone with a few teeth in it landed at my feet.

-That got me laughing so hard I nearly stopped touching myself.

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
Loved the review. To whoever recomended Valkyrie Chronicles as a turn based action deally...yea I recommend the demo. When my friend first told me about a turn based action game based loosely on WW2 but populated by japanese 14-15 year olds I had SEVERE doubts.

After playing the demo I checked the interwebs to see if I could DL it ...sadly no. So yea, Valkyrie whatever! Not a bad game, and seemed original.

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
Interesting review. Not as much bile and ranting as some other recent reviews, but still a lot of fun to watch. I especially like the comment about people who know guns well enough to know which end makes the loud noise.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Magnetic2 said:

No Adverts +1000 xp
*shivers*

I tried to play it as if it was a quest for levels. And I hate bloody lobsters :)
You gotta shoot em in the Hea.. er um, face!
+Points funny intro
-Points for failing to mention "naughty nightwear"

FatSquirrel

Nov 20, 2008
impulsecss said:
Hi, Yahtzee, long time watcher/first time poster.

Whats with the crack at objectivism? I'm pretty sure objectivism stresses the rights(and, therefore, the material possessions) of the individual. Wasn't Atlas Shrugged about fighting the "looters?" I'm sure that went over everyone else's head, but not mine.
I found that comment bizzare too, and especially ironic since Rand's philosophy is exactly opposite of what he suggested.

Suggestion: if you are going to attempt to make a hip/witty literary reference, it may help to actually read the material. Maybe Yahtzee was confused into thinking Rand actually designed Bioshock?

RawrPlethora

Nov 20, 2008
Ha, I did the same thing in both Fables being completely good and benevolent, but also stealing all the shit within arms reach.

Rockdrake

Aug 27, 2008
Fallout 3? Let's just say I don't play the game for the ending. Everything else... absolutely great.

D64nz

Jan 28, 2008
What I want to know is why the big move to unhappy endings? I mean a month ago I did Kane and Lynch, and COD4 in one weekend, they both end badly. One you loose a guy to nuclear radiation even. And now Fallout3 is added to the unhappy ending list, though Crysis1 gets a mention for incomplete ending, even though they've already put out the sequel. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but it's somewhat of a come down eh.

Still, Fallout 3 is an awesome game, if a little on the easy side. Still it's fun and that's what counts.

Infallius

Aug 26, 2008
Volucer said:
Doug said:
Volucer said:

Your asked to go into a radioactive area to push the 'end game' switch - or you can ask the lady with you. But for some reason, not the radiation proof super mutant with you... :| :\\
I know. That really urked me.

I should have left him in that cell to die!
Don't know about other versions, but on PC you could ask him, he just made a lame excuse.

Edit: I for one really liked the ending; not quite as good as the first two, but as soon as I saw who was making it/the change in type of game, I knew Fallout 3 would not be the same as the first 2. However, its too bad if you went through the main quest and didn't do much side ones assuming you'd be allowed...

D64nz

Jan 28, 2008
I had the same thing, On pc too I didn't get the option to put him in there though??

Either way it's there to get you to the end game sequence. It's not like you can do anything past that. But you can get the brotherhood armour and then leave the pryde hanging while you go back out into the waste land. As urgent as they make out, they don't seem to be in any hurry to complete it by themselves. Mean while, you can have Dogmeat, Fawlkes, and the two kids from Bigtown running riot through the wasteland lol.
I will say I was disappointed that Mr Gutsy didn't like me though. lol

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Alright, time for a few words from me.

First impression of the review: Funny as hell.

Last impression: Pretty accurate, but it's missing something.

Okay, so I've been skimming the thread and keeping in mind what Yahtzee said, and I just wanna set the record straight. I've been playing Fallout 3 since the release date (with the other games under the belt as well), so understand when I say...DAMN! Now, I haven't played Oblivion, but I still have a ton of other games that involve being a lone wanderer, killing and exploring and whatnot. This is the one I'll have the most fun in, hands down. Personally, I was worried about Yahtzee reviewing the game, but it turned out mostly alright. I would, however, like to comment on a few points.

The V.A.T.S., for openers. Okay, granted that this one seems a little like cheating, but I like that feeling. There's roughly a million bad guys out there, some of whom could tear you apart even if you're at the highest level (which I am). The character should probably have an edge based upon the skills that he (or she) has acquired that you can't do through active aiming. Rather, the CHOICE should be there, in case the tiny crosshairs aren't enough. Yes, those things ARE tiny, and that bugs me, so let's hear it for called shots with cinematic scenes of body parts flying. Actually, the crosshairs are a pain sometimes for picking up items more than my aim. My aim is realistically inaccurate at times.

I'm hearing some talk about the views, first and third respectively. It can't be helped. You need them both. First-person makes it easier to get a closer look at things and for better aiming. Third-person always keeps an eye on your surroundings, and to see if anything is coming in BEHIND YOU. I was crouched in some dingy building full of super mutants, sneaking around, when one of them happened to walk in behind me. I didn't notice on my radar, of course, and I didn't hear him. Fortunately, he missed ME and I DIDN'T...when I shot him. Each view has their place, in my opinion.

Now ummm...here's a little thing that I've run into, a bug in the system that can cause problems for your character in a tight spot. You could be moving around some place with enemies nearby and suddenly, the game will materialize them RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. Now, this is a handy thing if you just shoot them first, but it is not a happy time for people that are using stealth, sniping enemies, or running the hell away.

All in all, this is an awesome game to play. I'm actually having the hardest time looting people, but the killing is always good, the ammo is plentiful, and the violence...is FUN. Yes, there's a story and yes, it's pretty good, but I actually put it off since - unlike the first two games - there's no constraint in time. You guys understand? It's not like where you have to go find some incredibly-obscure-and-hard-to-find-item-for-your-friends-or-else-they-die. That is one thing I find enjoyable. You really CAN do whatever the hell you want.

Thanks for not calling it crap, Yahtzee. I love the show.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
EnglishMuffin said:
Oblivion sucked and fallout 3 is just a bit better than Oblivion. Do the math.
Excuse me, I was told there wouldn't be math?

Then again, according to my calculations...that statement doesn't add up. Strange, no?

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
EnglishMuffin said:
Oblivion sucked and fallout 3 is just a bit better than Oblivion. Do the math.
The math says your post needs more content to stop being redundant. No offence.

Pablosdog

Nov 17, 2008
Yes because finding the Geck was really that hard. o_O

Anyways, its just all this unadulterous praise for a game with so many problems is not exactly healthy for the gaming industry, much less the rpg genre, a genre that(at one time) prided itself on it's complexity. Doing what you want is fine, but I still don't think that was the whole intent behind the creation of Fallout. Hell, even the creators themselves felt that it wasn't right that bethesda got to make this game, considering they made it, it just so happend that interplay owned it, changed hands, screwed up and had to sell the i.p.

To bethesda, a company not exactly famous for storytelling.

Even finding the waterchip wasn't really that hard.

Oh yeah, you must have never actually finished fallout 2, because well, the time limit, is 13 years.(Which in itself would require you to cover the entire map multiple times, giving you more than enough adequete time) Fail.

Again, can someone explain to me how a game gets so much praise for having horrible ai, a bad storyline that is just a rip off of fallout 1, illogical item placement, dumbed down mechanics and quit honestly a bad ending. Graphics are mediocore except for the great enviroment.

I still had fun with the game( I've invested over 65 hours into the game), but it doesn't deserve the amount of critical acclaim it has been getting.

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
ACtually Eternal Sonata tried turn-based combat with real-time crosses but it mostly just meant one character runs over, you repeatedly hit the attack button and get a special move done during their turn and then another character or an enemy gets their move and they run up and smack you while you just stand there watching the Northern Lights.

Valkyrie Profile also had it to some extent even though that was mostly getting muscle-memory to mash buttons in the right order so you get the most number of hits.

Kermi

Nov 7, 2007
Oblivon bored me and I never got into it, so I haven't spent my time playing it making the comparison. I also didn't care much for Fallout 2.

So, Fallout 3 rocks as far as I'm concerned. The game does feel a little spread out, but I like it that way. It gives me more time to reflect on the wasteland and appreciate the potential horrors of nuclear apocalypse.

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
Ok I didn't take the time to read all the pages of review so please forgive me.

First off I am glad that Yatzee was at least allowing himself to not be that guy. You know the 'I have to bash everything out of every game and get less and less funny and insightful about them when I review so you never know what I want from a game' guy he has kind of drifted into. Hes gone away from that a bit and for that I'm glad.

Now to the people who hate fallout 3, get over yourselves.

First Oblivion was a good game. If you really can't allow yourself to have fun in an expansive world where you go around doing quests and accept that maybe they don't want to hire a voice actor for every single sprite then you really are too uptight to play video games in the first place. But Fallout 3 was not Oblivion. It was massive, It borrowed on a couple of bits of the elder scrolls formula but the combat, the story, the level design, all of it felt different and made for a totally different game. Fallout 3 does a good job of mixing the Tabletop inspired mechanics of the past two games with a mostly real time combat and interaction engine. Yes its going to look similar to Oblivion because it uses alot of the same components and has alot of the same people making it but its still a vastly diffrent game.

Now on to those who have played the other Fallout games. What more do you want exactly? I still got the same gritty hopeless distopian feel from Fallout 3 that I got from 2. Sure the difficulty curve isn't the same but if it was most people would be complaining about that anyways. Yes they could have made it a third person point and click and skinned the items a bit closer to the older Fallout games but at that point your ignoring a well done Fallout story, faithful continuation of the setting and solid gameplay mechanics because your upset black Isle is gone. I'm upset too. It pains me to see what the Baulders gate games have become. That Diablo keeps going while the more complex and well designed over the shoulder games have fallen at the wayside simply because the designers want to put as little work as possible into a well rounded system. But your all holding Fallout 3 to an unrealistic Idealization of what the game should be. They could have used the same engine, the same sprites even pulled in Mister Dorn to play the end boss again so we could fix the boss fight by making it seem more 'in place' and It wouldn't change a thing. Try to go into the game objectively and see the game as a Fallout game in and of itself rather than demanding some imaginary fallout standard.

If you really have that much of a problem with it, well you know GURPS was going to be the mechanic system for the first game...

As for Mister Crowshaw, I am glad to see you finally break out of that little shell yovue put yourself in since.. I think it was about Mario Galaxy. After that you seemed to be acting more like a contrary indie reviewer and less like a designer giving a review. Its been hard to tell where on the radar you were in terms of games after shooting down Hidio Kajima's attempt to finish what we shall call his 'high budget Chzo series' for lack of a better term and your notes on the prince of Persia series didn't help too much.

Very good review and I would agree. I understand that you feel games like this should be the norm and as such make that known but you have to encourage the industry to make more games like it before you get better new ones.

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
I just want to cry cause I want to play Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Spore and Call of Duty: World at War, all at the same time.

To think Total War: Empire is coming out in two months.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'd like to point out that this game is going to recieve a mixed reaction no matter what it was actually like. Personally, I enjoyed it, although I agree with all Yahtzee's points.

Anyway, the fact is there are a fair number of Fallout 1/2 fan(*cough-fanboys-cough*) who've evalated those games to perfection in their minds. Frankly, I don't think either of those games where massively complex as they want everyone to believe. Not to say they weren't good (I enjoyed 2 more myself).

Anyway, the fanboys would only EVER like a 2D isometric view with purely turn-based combat in an apparently open world that was really more like a linear trip in terms of the main plot.

Schizzy said:
I just want to cry cause I want to play Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Spore and Call of Duty: World at War, all at the same time.

To think Total War: Empire is coming out in two months.
I hate to tell you, but I think its 3 months :( mid-February! :( Got it pre-ordered with Steam.

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
Doug said:
I'd like to point out that this game is going to recieve a mixed reaction no matter what it was actually like. Personally, I enjoyed it, although I agree with all Yahtzee's points.

Anyway, the fact is there are a fair number of Fallout 1/2 fan(*cough-fanboys-cough*) who've evalated those games to perfection in their minds. Frankly, I don't think either of those games where massively complex as they want everyone to believe. Not to say they weren't good (I enjoyed 2 more myself).

Anyway, the fanboys would only EVER like a 2D isometric view with purely turn-based combat in an apparently open world that was really more like a linear trip in terms of the main plot.
Heres the thing, I love those kinds of games. The 2D Isometric ones. I adore them and I think they are way better than alot of what we have now. Thats not me being nostalgic because I have alot of them on my computer.But while I fit, for the most part, into that grouping you just mentioned I find it sad when people can't enjoy other games that are well done.

In the end none of it is the same as a night at the gaming table, Fallout 1 and 2 were close though. Fallout 3 was not AS close but its still an amazing game for what it is and people need to just broaden their horizons.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TerraMGP said:
Doug said:

Heres the thing, I love those kinds of games. The 2D Isometric ones. I adore them and I think they are way better than alot of what we have now. Thats not me being nostalgic because I have alot of them on my computer.But while I fit, for the most part, into that grouping you just mentioned I find it sad when people can't enjoy other games that are well done.

In the end none of it is the same as a night at the gaming table, Fallout 1 and 2 were close though. Fallout 3 was not AS close but its still an amazing game for what it is and people need to just broaden their horizons.
I more meant people who would call Fallout 3 an awful game no matter what because it is in 3d, not 2d iso. I don't think you fit into that group. I use the definition:

Fan: Someone who enjoys a game or series of games without being blinded to their faults and/or competition.

Fanboy: Someone who thinks there game of choice is 'the best game EVAR!' no matter what. Any sequel that isn't the exact same thing is automatically 'moving away from its roots'.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
TerraMGP said:
Now to the people who hate fallout 3, get over yourselves.

First Oblivion was a good game.
This is your opinion only. After having played arena, daggerfall and looked at morrowind, all I can say is, wow, same game, slightly better graphics, more bugs, less stability. Oblivion had really no story to speak of, what was there was exceedingly derivative and unoriginal. Bethesda should never have been given the rights to fallout 3, they're just not up to the task.

Back on topic, F3 is a good game, quad-core memory leaks aside, it's just not fallout. It's far more like an upgraded stalker, or an oblivion total conversion than a proper addition to the fallout universe.

Since I don't really want the banhammer to slap down on me for not mentioning yahtzee, he was spot on with his criticisms. Just a damn shame he didn't give bethesda a bit more of a serve for their tonka-toy/duplo handling of what should have been the gaming equivalent of a lego technic big rig.

paliente

Jun 8, 2008
I absolutely loved FO3. GOTY for me. I'm a massive fan of the originals and found this new step up graphics/gameplay wise fantastic. FO4 will be mind blowing!

World At War next please Yahtzee. Does Yahtzee ever read these forums?

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
When I first saw the link to Fallout 3 I thought to myself "uh oh, this could be bad." Glad to see our favorite overzealous critic actually didn't despise it. Also nice to see the only real qualms he had were the same few as me that I can easily ignore for the rest of a great ride in the game.

Let's just hope this time around Bethesda tools on thier models/animations and interaction scenes including said models/animations and actually uses animation on the scenes.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Yahtzee must be losing his touch, because after watching that review I now sort of want to buy Fallout 3...

VonBlade

Mar 12, 2008
First bit made me laugh harder than I have since the Big Daddy bit all the way back in Bioshock. Subverting expectations. Clever Yahtzee.

Considering it would be impossible to lambast Fallout 3 as much as it deserves in a 12 volume leather-bound set of books as big as tables, I wasn't surprised to hear it get only a mild jabbing in 5 minutes.

Back to no adverts = happy me.

Dusea

Nov 11, 2008
that's because the makers of the game said it was a fallout sequel in terms of story, not gameplay. i read somewhere that they said it wasnt anything like the others, so it was on purpose.

i really want to play this game now! :)

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
Rossmallo said:
I'm surprised...Knowing how similar it is to Oblivion, I had a horrible feeling of impending doom, but...he said it isnt bad, which was utterly shocking o_o But i gotta agree with him, it gets a BIT monotonous, but i didnt mind that. However, i gotta say, im surprised he didnt complain about the retarded point-of-no-return ending...THAT pissed me off. ><
Well FO3 improved a lot of what Oblivion had. I think Yahtzee main criticism of Obliovion was the lack of immersion. FO3 corrected it quite a bit.

BTW: Darkman Rulez

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
It strikes me as odd that there is no mention of the game's lack of an animation for diagonal movement.
I like the game, a lot, but that detail is so very annoying.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Not Good said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:

I'm not from Austrailia. So give me (and everyone else not from Austrailia) a break.

Pertaining to the review, I'm assuming that he liked it enough to give it a seal of approval.
Branston is not Australian (note correct spelling), it's British. And it's available in most major supermarket chains, such as Wegman's and Genuardi's/Safeway and Giant Foods I believe. Full disclosure: I was unaware of it's wide availability as well, which caused some raised eyebrows when I returned from my first UK jaunt this summer with a "vegetable product" in my baggage.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
derpa said:
Ryuzaki said:
derpa said:
Wait where did I say it was law? Oh thats right now where, you took it to be saying it was law.

Also don't even know how you quoted that and even got anything from moaning? You happen to have a source where all the fans didn't like it? hmmmm
You may not have said that your opinion is law, but judging on some of your comments, you certainly implied it.

And no I have no such source, but I was not trying to say that all the fans didn't like it.

All I was trying to say was that you need to back up your opinions with examples, or you are just raving. Spinning of one liners from a persons judgements (my quote was an example of one), without any attempt at reasoning as to why they are wrong, or why you are right, is moaning. It does not matter wether you are right or wrong in your views, if you just do that then you are simply complaining that their opinion is different from yours.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
X-COM Apocalypse featured both real-time and turn-based combat, although most fans of the earlier X-COMs seem to hate it like fans of Fallout 1/2 hate 3... (Oh, topical!)

Feb 13, 2008
anti_strunt said:
X-COM Apocalypse featured both real-time and turn-based combat, although most fans of the earlier X-COMs seem to hate it like fans of Fallout 1/2 hate 3... (Oh, topical!)
I beg to differ (And I think I have precedence :) ), the reason Apocalypse got so much stick is because the game was unfinished and those damn poppers.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
As a fan of the original Fallout games I have to say that Bethesda did a very good job with the franchise. They brought this game to a new generation (and consoles) while capturing the atmosphere of the first two games and adding their own flavor. I'm having a blast with this game, and I don't remember being as addicted to the originals as I am with this one (which makes me conclude the F.O. 3 is a better game), and it's so cool to see the fallout universe come to life in 3D with such a vast waistland to explore and interesting characters to meet. I LOVE the sidequests here, they are VERY REWARDING, as is exploring and scavaging the waistland because whatever junk you find can be used for something eventually. I also like the fact that there are TONS of locations to visit, keeping you're curiosity stimulated throughout the game.

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
Ok to thsoe who still dislike Oblivion and Fallout 3 may I ask just what DID you want? It seems like you guys are basing this negative opinion on the standard of some imaginary game where everything is just like real life only five thousand times better and the story is like an epic one year long D&D game your best friend has been cooking up for years, yet not too long. A game where things are open ended, but not too open ended and are that way for absolutely everyone who would play it.

I played Fallout 2, Recently, and while I love it to death Its not this uber god game that people keep saying it is. I also played Fallout 3 and its a pretty good game overall. Sure I can accept the 'main story needs work' complaint a bit, but honestly when you get down to things like 'improper skins' and 'lack of movement when talking to you'. I would like to see anyone on here try to keep up when designing with the Bathesda team.

Let me ask you guys something. If they made a System shock 3... No I don't mean Bioshock but a real System shock 3 with the same team and the same mechancis and everything, how many of you think that you would judge it fairly? Please people Stop transferring your strange hate of Oblivion onto Fallout 3 and stop comparing it to your fond youth of over the shoulder tabletop inspired bliss. No game is ever going to hit that mystical 'sweet spot for everyone' and if you spend your whole life ripping apart every video game you come across because its not like the ones you grew up with your never going to have any fun with the good new games that come out.

I only wish you people understood the Irony of me being the one to say this.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
request postal 2 review as it has been made into a movie.
also, its about a Psychopath :)

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I'm level 25 now (cap was too small so I raised it to 55) and I've just realised that my character looks fucking identical to Yahtzee. Or is it just me?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/gafin666/ScreenShot9.jpg