Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
Farcry 2. Never got around to playing this.
Love the shift in accent at parts.
+10 points for Power Rangers reference.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Lol, my thoughts exactly, the looks are really all the game has for it. Although Yahtzee seems to have played it for longer than I did before I got fed up with it.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
stiver said:
Couldn't of said it better myself. All I can say is that I am glad that he finally got to Farcry 2 after what seemed like forever.

DanTheBigMan

Oct 18, 2008
Speeedy bannage up there.
Anyway, I liked it.
Never got much into the Cry Engine games, mostly because I'm in the demographic of "Poor Bastard" and can't afford a system/television to adequately handle the eye-bleedingly wonderful graphics.
Good to know the gaming industry, as a whole, is still following the proud tradition of giving us our cake, then watching us choke on it.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Good to see FarCry 2 finally getting bashed by ZP. It was necessary. What a pos game. Okay it was more like a review, but I think it was still getting a good whopping. Wasn't positive at least. Was it? Erm.

Oh god, the accent, though.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Damn that was a great one, almost fell out of my chair after the mutation reference and the power rangers one.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I loved the accent throughout the video, nice. I also got confused by the game though, after a while you have no idea what to do. This is one of his few reviews I agree with.
I'd definitely shoot at a guy who was wearing a Michael Atkinson mask.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Seems like Yahtzee can't really make up his mind on this one. I'll pick it up anyway cause I've been looking for a realistic shooter for a looooooong time now.

Aconite333

May 1, 2008
+10 for Bear Grylls cameo.

Also, did anyone else feel like Yahtzee was reading with a different accent or something?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Accent...hurting...brain...don't...understand...ARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

(Runs into the bushes and wets himself)

Now that that's overwith, I really didn't find Farcry 2 that "hooking," I suppose I wanted a more intense experience than I got, the whole thing starting off more than a little too slow. And the Malaria mcguffin was more than a little annoying.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Huh... does Yahtzee have a cold or something, or was the change in accent a subtle joke that I failed to get?

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well i liked this one hope you can keep it up and another thing do you even look at these

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Well I'm glad there were actually some review parts to this review. The last few haven't had many review elements. It sort of teetered out at the end there though.

Aconite333 said:
Also, did anyone else feel like Yahtzee was reading with a different accent or something?
Uh... wow. You missed that one completely didn't you? Hooray for ignorance.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
The accents were brutal and annoying, much like he seems to think the game was. Shame, really enjoyed FarCry 1.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Great Review I've been waiting for this to make my day better and make me finally laugh - although the funny accents surprised me a little it was still another great ZP ;)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
What is with the accent?
Seems like he purposely did it...which is odd.

In any case, it actually seem rather review-y! And funny!
Seems you can have both.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
DanTheBigMan said:
Anyway, I liked it.
Never got much into the Cry Engine games, mostly because I'm in the demographic of "Poor Bastard" and can't afford a system/television to adequately handle the eye-bleedingly wonderful graphics.
Good to know the gaming industry, as a whole, is still following the proud tradition of giving us our cake, then watching us choke on it.
It's not the CryEngine btw, they used less than 2% of the CryEngine code.

In fact Crytek had absolutely nothing to do with it, it was all Ubisoft this time.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
While I was starting to get annoyed by the rather heavy "aussie" accent Yahtzee appears to be throwing around all of a sudden the review itself was pretty good. Good to see I made the right choice by not buying it. I might just dig up FarCry now. :)

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
hmmm... well the accent was certainly different, but it seemed to cropping up in the weirdest of times, like there was some guy with a "south africa" filter button pressing it on and off completely at random/because he was being tortured for information

Jan 21, 2009
I didn't understand the whole switch of accent he went through in this review, does he have a head cold? Because that has been going around.

Aside from that, I have never played farcry one or two and this review gave me well enough reason not to.

Thanks Yahtzee, you saved me from something I considered buying.

Now I can go buy a much better game.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Enlong said:
Huh... does Yahtzee have a cold or something, or was the change in accent a subtle joke that I failed to get?
Yeah I was wondering the same thing...I sort of just took it was an extra emphasis of sarcasm plus bile.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
This is more of the blurghedy blurgh blurgh that some people said was missing from last week's ZP. It feels more like a review and less like a decent into cheap laughs about body parts.

Occasional mutations into South African accent + killing the Power Rangers + BFF cake + Bear Grylls = win.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
The accent... amazing!
Yes, I think the baddie confused us all with acts of love.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Baby Tea said:
What is with the accent?

Seems you can have both.
It was a South African accent, Tea. It was because the game is set in South Africa.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
what was up with his accent in this video? I thought he was a kiwi, but a few times in the video he sounds a hell of a lot like an aboriginee off of a crocodile dundee blooper reel. Oh well, I never played farcry, or farcry 2, but maybe I will so I can go drive over some zebrahs.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Arrgh the accent was annoying as hell. Sounds bad that you have to do a a lot of samey missions. Also suprised that you didn't mention gun jaming or map creation.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
That accent bit was funny for a moment, then just degenerated into dead horse flogging. Most definitely could've done without it.

Sir_Chumley_Warner

Dec 25, 2008
That bit about Zordon reminds me of Spoony for some reason... *Having consumed this video content, Sir Chumley goes to see if any other websites has anything for him to procrastinate with*

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Fightgarr said:
Baby Tea said:
What is with the accent?

Seems you can have both.
It was a South African accent, Tea. It was because the game is set in South Africa.
You know that makes sense. One of the sales people at my work has a South African accent, and I kept thinking of her throughout the review.

Huh.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Enlong said:
He started talking like a Sarth Effrikan. To mimic the South Africans in-game.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Baby Tea said:
What is with the accent?

Seems you can have both.
Did you not notice that the game is set in South Africa, and he spoke in a rather interesting South African accent?

deewank

Dec 15, 2008
maybe since he lives in Australia the local accent is starting to rub off on him

EDIT: However unlikely that is

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
The accent sounded more like trying to do an Aussie accent then an South African, South African people in my experience usually talk with a deep and at points slow accent.

Still awesome as ever.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Aconite333 said:
+10 for Bear Grylls cameo.

Man, nothing gets past you, does it?

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Great review. His explanation of what makes a sandbox game (widely varying content with a clear, overarching goal) was spot on. If only more game developers watched Zero Punctuation.

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
Shaves with a machete said:
I didn't understand the whole switch of accent he went through in this review, does he have a head cold? Because that has been going around.
Did anyone actually watch the video? /sigh

He did the accent as a mockery of the cheesy South African accent he mentions is in the game. It's like one of the first jokes in the video. Listen to the part where he talks about if there are super mutants in the game.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
never once mentioned the AWFUL dialogue

or the constant pains of having to fix you engine as soon as someone leans on it

farcry 2 is a good game but i would have thought these little bits of spunk would have at least been worth a mention

also the accent was funny once then it just started to grate...

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Please don't do that accent again, it gave me terrible flashbacks of Keaun Reeves in Dracula. The Power Rangers refrence was gold by the way.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
excellent, the game is not bad but it has nothing fun in it... it's like the ultimate sandbox but devoid of all imagination.
anyways loved the accent-

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
i agree whole heartedly with this - everything mentioned i have complained about
however he failed to mention that for a decent ammount of money you MUST explore and find collectables and how the whole game has no point since when you're meant to kill said arms dealer he says "oh good you're here, now there isn't much time and i have a job for you" and you are completely unable to go "wait? no just die" you HAVE to help the asshole...and die in the process

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Well the review was funny but... I thought there was something wrong with my ears until I understood that he was talking in a different accent :S

I lmao'd at the zebra joke ^-^

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I loved this one so much. The accent was a bit odd, but that just means I can justify watching it again sooner than normal.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
What is that in the backround at about 2:10? A person screaming and police sirens?

Anyway. Decent review but not really funny.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I think I failed to catch half of the dialogue because I was bewildered by the constant shift in accent. Still good for a laugh though.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Haha, another great review. Kudos of featuring the first power ranger references and Bear Grylls in this review.

FuckYouDad

Apr 23, 2008
Lord almighty. He almost had half a review in there. Talk about story, check. Talk about graphics, check. Talk about the sandbox elements which doesn't quite add up, check. Go off on a rant on how people created content ruins the media? Ok, sure. You have a point. Aaaand... We're done? Did you like it, do you recommend it? What about controls and AI? I'm just gonna assume they're fine and dandy or do you want me to look at other reviews?

How 'bout for your next video you just say "Sure is a game!". With all the songs and hilarious notes it'll add up to one and a half minute.

And don't bother defending him people, I'll probably be banned by the mods for my name. Seems this is a "PG-13"-forum, in some strange twist of irony.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Ya those accent were all over the place, at one point he was south African, then Australian, I think I might have heard some dutch in there too.

chaos666

Jan 20, 2009
Solid review overall. A lot of the problems I had with this game were addressed. Pity too because I liked the first Far Cry and I liked some of the concepts in this one. However, after awhile I lost of track of what I was doing and the A.I. at times seemed real thick. I liked how weapons can jam just like in real life, but it always happened when i was in the middle of a firefight and the map system was one of the dumbest I've ever seen. A hud display would've been nice, but no lets make the map system so broken it breaks up the game play every 10 seconds because you have to look at the map because you have no clue where you are. Props to the power rangers reference and the accents. Do Gears of War 2 next, please pretty please.

Jan 21, 2009
rated pg said:
Shaves with a machete said:
Did anyone actually watch the video? /sigh

He did the accent as a mockery of the cheesy South African accent he mentions is in the game. It's like one of the first jokes in the video. Listen to the part where he talks about if there are super mutants in the game.
Hm, well it isn't like him to carry on a joke that lo- oh yeah the boob people who populate the boob planet...

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Amusement accepted, 98.l9% success rating, approved. Sending Thanks.
Sending...
Thanks Sent. Initiate information download matrix.
Loading Video...
Repeat Matrix Until Memory = 100
Watching...
Aproximate time of completion: 01:46am (8 hours 20 minutes)

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Superb African accent :D

Really enjoyed this one, starting to return to form perhaps?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
FuckYouDad said:
Lord almighty. He almost had half a review in there. Talk about story, check. Talk about graphics, check. Talk about the sandbox elements which doesn't quite add up, check. Go off on a rant on how people created content ruins the media? Ok, sure. You have a point. Aaaand... We're done? Did you like it, do you recommend it? What about controls and AI? I'm just gonna assume they're fine and dandy or do you want me to look at other reviews?

How 'bout for your next video you just say "Sure is a game!". With all the songs and hilarious notes it'll add up to one and a half minute.

And don't bother defending him people, I'll probably be banned by the mods for my name. Seems this is a "PG-13"-forum, in some strange twist of irony.
Nnnnnno. This is definitely not a PG-13 forum. Throwing around words like "****" and "fuck" are absolutely fine, though people will probably think less of you for it. He did mention the AI basically has one goal in mind, and that is to kill you, and only you, but other than that, he really didn't mention it, this is true.
It's an FPS though. The controls are basically always the same.
EDIT: Well, he did say the gunplay was shitty.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Great video, the change in accent was a great joke. I agree that games do need some sort of storyline and plot, otherwise they can tend to drag on.

Look forward to next weeks.

FuckYouDad

Apr 23, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Nnnnnno. This is definitely not a PG-13 forum. Throwing around words like "****" and "fuck" are absolutely fine, though people will probably think less of you for it. He did mention the AI basically has one goal in mind, and that is to kill you, and only you, but other than that, he really didn't mention it, this is true.
"If you contact IT at [email protected] and ask for a name change I'll unban you. FuckYouDad is a little too harsh for our site standards. We're kind of a PG-13 site. Keep that in mind when you're posting as well and we're all good.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Tom"

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
The accent switches completely ruined it for me; I was constantly disorientated, with a sudden urge to slap a certain Mr. Croshaw for stretching a half-decent joke out over the course of 3 fecking minutes.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
FuckYouDad said:
Already did that for Fallout 3, albeit before coming back to do it properly... it still counts enough to not bother doing it again.

Can't say I got much funny out of this one, probably something to do with the accent shifting breaking my brain. Or possibly because I don't have any interest in the game. Ah well, next week then.

DDragonfly1990

Jan 14, 2009
Good review I didn't like Farcry 2 and thought it was an annoying game I do agree with how good the enviornments were though. The shifting accent was hilarious as well, between the usual and south-african, I thought it was appropriate to the review.

Mirokunite

Nov 22, 2007
Rockers, and Mods?

Quadrophenia reference? Is Yahtzee a Who fan?

Also good Apocalypse Now allusion at the end.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
the way yahtzee said *to choke a basking shark* is now my favorite line of his!

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
FuckYouDad said:
MaxTheReaper said:
"If you contact IT at [email protected] and ask for a name change I'll unban you. FuckYouDad is a little too harsh for our site standards. We're kind of a PG-13 site. Keep that in mind when you're posting as well and we're all good.

Thanks,
Tom"
Regardless of anything else, why the do you want your name to be FuckYouDad? Do you always use FuckYouDad as a screename? Or do you have some bizarre reasoning, that it will make you a more feared and venerated voice of reason?

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
I loved this one particularly, the bad guy dropping his laundry and chasing the character with a monster truck.

I liked the accent shifts, but it got rather dull towards the end... like Far Cry 2.

Beacon

Dec 21, 2008
I didn't really find this one funny. The one exception being the part where the rabbit got it's entire body bitten off XD.

Can't wait for Gears of War 2 next week =D

Joreal

May 7, 2008
Glad to hear I saved my $50 for something that was actually fun (Read: 2 Castlevanias for the DS). Then again, I am a bit biased towards Vampire slaughtering over going to Africa to do missions for crazies.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I did not like the accent. The rest of the review was funny and what I have come to expect from ZP. The accent was funny the first time it was used, but unlike other ZP running gags it got tire some. I could not understand what was being said and rewound the review several times to make sure I heard right. IMO Yahtzee should stick to talking clearly and dropping visual gags.

JediDwag

Jan 14, 2009
Good review.

I'm probably about as far as Yahtzee is in the game. I can't play it for more than an hour or two at a time because it's so repetitive. The open world to explore is there, but there really isn't any reason to explore it. It's not like Fallout 3 where you can find useful items or weapons. All you can find in Far Cry 2 are the diamonds you can use to unlock weapons, but you can get more diamonds faster by just doing the repetitive missions.

Eh, I'll probably finish it eventually. Oh, and the every-single-AI-in-the-game-trying-to-kill-you-on-sight-for-no-reason-at-all thing gets really annoying really fast...

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Pyronox said:
Seems like Yahtzee can't really make up his mind on this one. I'll pick it up anyway cause I've been looking for a realistic shooter for a looooooong time now.
This si not a realsitic shooter- you can do mcuh better. If your a Pc gamer then pick up stalker - if your not then i dont know of any on 360.

I loved the accent. Afican seemed to be the only one missing from the game.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Excellent review here - and an automatic win for Zordon reference to give us a little cherished nostalgia and likely inspire a few new avatars. I do think the accent wasn't used to the best effect though, schizophrenically hopping around at the second half of the review.

Lot of good gaming points here - I've been swayed by how utterly pretty FarCry 2, but in my limited experience I agree with the discouraging lack of narrative working for both sides provides. I'll stick with Fallout 3 I believe.

So how many people want to bet on next week being a brief mention of Gears of War 2?

FuckYouDad

Apr 23, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
FuckYouDad said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Thanks,
Tom"
Regardless of anything else, why the do you want your name to be FuckYouDad? Do you always use FuckYouDad as a screename? Or do you have some bizarre reasoning, that it will make you a more feared and venerated voice of reason?
Not really, I haven't chosen this name anywhere else. I like to spread my names around. It's more a parody of the angry suburban adolescent rebelling against his family. I think it's more fun than "SpagettiPants89".

More importantly, does it matter? Also, do you have any reason for naming yourself "Mousecoloured fox"?

DannyDeparted

Mar 12, 2008
lol in no way shape or form is that accent Australian. Much like that intollerable little boy in the simpsons episode where they go to Australia.
Aussies is Aussies, makes my ears bleed hearing immitations.

(Written to the people who commented he sounded Australian.)

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
This is more of the blurghedy blurgh blurgh that some people said was missing from last week's ZP. It feels more like a review and less like a decent into cheap laughs about body parts.
Indeed - though to be fair, he boldfacedly said in the last review that there wasn't much point in talking about the gameplay since it's the exact same as every other Tomb Raider game.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Good review. I never liked cry engine games, and it would appear that Far Cry 2 would infuriate me even more than the other two.

The accent is mildly annoying and I hope he goes back. I could barely understand him in some parts of the review...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I remember having issues with Far Cry 2 about the time i was waiting for the pub to open, on the dilemma of whether my laziness would allow me to drive all the way back to the hut to sleep and speed up time, or just wait it out.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
My sentiments exactly, although, Yahtzee is a bit more eloquent than I am, and much more talented with the South African accent.

BigbadaBEEF

Jan 5, 2009
Great vid as ever, i loved his blisteringly awfull south african accent

also am i the only person on this forum who actually DOES like Far Cry 2 ?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Damn it's like he is working of a hitlist, he mentioned Farcry, Tombraider and Gears in his 2008 review and he is wrapping the year up. Be expecting Gears of war 2 next week.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
good enough but what the hell was the meaning of saying "E" instead of "A" during the whole episode?

cyber druid

Jan 15, 2009
I didnt really laugh at the the so called "review" but it was still entertaining and worth my time.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Very funny. I loved the "Hey I did your laundry and baked you a cake" bit.

DannyDeparted

Mar 12, 2008
*sigh* nobody ever gets the more 'subtle' jokes.
Perhaps next time you would be well advised Ben to just post a big
"I AM PUTTING ON AN ACCENT TO MOCK THE ONES IN THE GAME"
sign down the bottom of the review, as it seems tis the only way that
these jokes actually hit home.

not_tragedi

Dec 24, 2008
I loved it! I mean, where I come from, accents change by the street and how you sound makes a difference in how the people across the street (or the sidewalk) react to you.

Gears of War next? I mean, he already bumped off Tomb Raider. How many more did he miss this past month?

Sucks that we have to wait until December 2nd for God of War III....and Zero Punc review.

Schiggy

Apr 17, 2008
Zordon + "Fuck You Stripey Hooorse" = Win. Loved the accent, am I the only one who could hear the aussie kid of the episode of the simpsons? "Et waz en imergency call from the dreenege commission in spreenfield"

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Loved the review, though I thought the engine Far Cry 2 runs on is called Dunia...I remember there was a feature on it in Game Informer, and that was one of the standout details in it.
Other than that little nitpick, great job.

SadToots

Jan 21, 2009
What the hell is wrong with his voice? It sounds like he had been eating only peanut butter for the past 2 days and had inflated his lips.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
In this episode, Yahtzee is apparently trying to make us glad he doesn't have an even more inscrutable accent.

DannyDeparted

Mar 12, 2008
lol
Schiggy said:
am I the only one who could hear the aussie kid of the episode of the simpsons?
No ur not the only one, makes my ears bleed listening to that dam kid..Worst immitation ever!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I peuuuursenellii think african accents sound pretty cool, even if I can't always understand them. :)

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Ah Farcry 2, been a long time since I've seen a game with that much potential turn out to be right shit. The combat was solid, vehicles horrifically boring to drive (but again solid enough to get by on) and guns + healing system were pretty and fresh. But all of this was pissed away in a tide of shitty Ai and appalling plot / missions.
Had the game for months now and still not completed it, got around half way through the second area before something more interesting (see: anything) came out and went to play that instead.

Surprised Yahtzee didn't mention the absolutely retarded way in which when you drive through a camp all the happy little inhabitants will jump on their land-rovers, pull up behind you (even if you're driving at full speed) and start gently poking your car, excellent ai right there.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
FuckYouDad said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Thanks,
Tom"
...Huh. I stand corrected.

jacobfox

Jan 21, 2009
Loved the ep. I had similar interest issues with this game. I wonder what was up with the randomly flashed UC Davis symbol...

Amoreyna

Jan 12, 2009
FuckYouDad said:

Actually, he did talk about the AI - he mentioned that everyone shoots at you even the people you're working for at the time because it's easier to make hostile AI then friendly.

I also got the clear picture that at the end he doesn't recommend it. He starts off by saying that his first impressions where quite good while at the end he says there is utterly no point. That you are given no purpose for doing what your doing and that he lost interest in it because of this, especially after he got to the second zone and things really started to repeat themselves.

I'm not defending him, just pointing out that he did state what you complained about in the review if you had watched it all the way through.

As for your name - you've been here for a while, I know I've seen your posts. So if people where going to have a problem with you name it would have been taking care of by now. I don't consider this forum PG-13 but it does have a strange sense of irony in that it demands you be respectful to other people.

xenus87

Oct 20, 2008
This video pretty much exactly sums up how the game felt to me in the end.

Got it free with my shiny new graphics card, and installed it to see what the new card can do.

Starting out the game sure does look damn good, and ran rather well, and the first 5-10 missions were fun enough, but it's only so long I can bear being smashed off the road by some lunatics in a jeep that literally appear from nowhere.

The respawning of enemies really needed fixing, clearing out a camp, turning your back for 20 seconds and everything is back like nothing has happened.

If I had paid for it I wouldn't have been happy, from all of the reviews around it seemed like the game was the second coming of Jesus, but it sure as hell didn't live up to the expectation that the hype machine had built up.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Mariena said:
Good to see FarCry 2 finally getting bashed by ZP. It was necessary. What a pos game. Okay it was more like a review, but I think it was still getting a good whopping. Wasn't positive at least. Was it? Erm.

Oh god, the accent, though.
Seemed pretty positive up until the repetitiveness. Of course, all of those sandbox games he 'listed, are repetitive as well. Mainly he was ripping on sandboxes more than Farcry 2.

Rushin

Dec 22, 2008
Good except what was with doing the south African accent during the review

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
corroded said:
I remember having issues with Far Cry 2 about the time i was waiting for the pub to open, on the dilemma of whether my laziness would allow me to drive all the way back to the hut to sleep and speed up time, or just wait it out.
If I remember correctly, GameFAQs sorted out this for me. I was told to go to Mike's Bar, got there at dusk and found it closed and thought, "No! It's time sensitive..." Only to discover that I had to go to the Weapon Shop first and then the Bar would unlock even though it was night.

It was a really fumbled piece of direction early on in the game that should have been caught in QA.

I have been playing little else since it came out and derive a lot of enjoyment from it, despite its many problems. It helps to get the DLC as you then get a crossbow with explosive bolts on it which are very useful in missions.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Something about a Brit/Aussie doing what I think is a South African accent is rather funny to me. It's like an Canadian doing an American(USA) accent. Ripe with humor I say.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
And I thought that my ears were being disfunctive, thats just Yahtzee's gag this time. Good work, you got me. I just wonder, does Farcry 2 have the same X-Ray vision?

bigroyuk

Jan 21, 2009
YES! ANYONE FOR A HIGH FIVE ON THE "75 year old housebound racist from LEAMINGTON"?

There's a whole bunch of us who watch it from here.

Schap3lleCorby

Sep 25, 2008
I think yahtzee's been watching too much cricket lately - The South African team is touring Australia at the moment so we're constantly hearing their funny little accents on tv pretty much everyday during the news and whatnot. It must've rubbed off on him is my bet. :p

todd10k

Dec 11, 2007
Great review, nailed the single player right on the head. However, the XBL multiplayer for farcry2 is SWEET. Played it for a while and really enjoyed it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ZeroRyoko1974 said:
Did he pronounce everything weird in this review on purpose?
You win the mr. Deduction Award.

Although that accent sounded a bit Australian to me. Nevermind, I pretty much agree - Far Cry 2 looks nice, but plot is... well, it is. But there are better sandbox games.

Like Garry's Mod.

Ba dum tisch.

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
Well done, although I found the accent shifts rather annoying in places. Perhaps it's just my crowded listening environment, but they made Yahtzee's speech rather hard to understand. Aside from that one quibble, the commentary - as always - it astute and constructively pointed. Nicely done.

Saylek

Dec 12, 2008
neatoo i liked, altho i was thinking is that really ben with that accent or someone else

sirsolo

Jan 10, 2009
All the other merc's were ignored! What about the shared missions Yahtzee? What of the helpful people?!

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
Enlong said:
I heard that too!

wierd...

Weerez

Dec 24, 2008
Australian accent has nothing on British accent.

Have now sounds like Hev.

Makes me sad, but the review was funny. "Dis shit be real, yo" was pretty funny along with the neon signs above the guys head.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
This was probably the worst of Yahtzee's reviews. It was boring and seemed to have recycled books.

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
mokes310 said:
My sentiments exactly, although, Yahtzee is a bit more eloquent than I am, and much more talented with the South African accent.

My time to Shine! I live in Cape Town South Africa and the accent he was imitating was the Afrikaans accent (The Afrikaans were the white rulers during Apartheid, now the country is 80% black) and he did an awful job. In places it was passable but it really did suck.

Also, it made playing Far Cry 2 that much more painful as the accents in that game are equally bad.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
crikey,I think our boy Yahtz is slippin' into a new accent! I knew no man could live in Australia for so long and not get the accent!

I kinda like it though: it's new, and +10 for the power rangers reference, whom I despise now on looking back

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
looks liek im not gunna get that game, i wasnt countign on getting it anyway because the first one was just so fustrating

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
At first the accent was South African, but gradually faded to nasal Australian the longer he used it.

Anyway, I agree with his review: too many sandbox games out already, and they make one with no overarching point. Do not want.

(1st post ever!)

jewru

Jun 1, 2008
that was a good one, loved the power rangers reference , is it just me or is Yahtzee starting to sound more Australian than British

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I thought that he would hate it more, but nevertheless, a good review.
jewru said:
that was a good one, loved the power rangers reference , is it just me or is Yahtzee starting to sound more Australian than British
It's not just you by the way.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Wasn't going to post since Fahr Crey 2 never really caught me interest, but Yahtzee's pseudo-Australian-South-African-Err-Whatchamacallit-Accent made this review FUN.

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
I had to register, because something is confusing me.

Are people in this thread joking when they keep asking "what's with the accent" I realise maybe some younger members of the forum may not be so familiar with south african accents, but it was explained pretty clearly in the video that that's what he was doing.

And several people have asked about it, and it's been explained several times by various people that, he was doing a south african accent, and yet some people seem to be unable to grasp this very simple concept. So I can only assume people are either joking or must have severe learning difficulties. Is it that some people only listen to the swear words, and just sort of blank out the rest because they find it too confusing?

How about actually reading the thread, instead of just posting the first thought that pops into your confused little head and just skipping over any comments that don't seem to be responding to your own post.

I will say the accent was overdone and it seemed like he was just doing it because he was struggling to think of any other jokes, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
I liked it, except that he didn't mention the shooting gameplay. Planning your attack, carrying it out, and/or having to fire back desperately as enemies close in from all directions is the best part of the game, and I don't think he devoted a single word to that. Everything else was pretty much true, though.

Disgracelands X

Jan 21, 2009
Great review again Ben! Been watching you since your Fable & Darkness reviews way back on Youtube & seen everyone since. I think you put yourself at the top of my number one reviewer list when you slated Halo 3!

Does anyone else feel that Far Cry 2 was just a 'better looking' yet ultimately even more flawed version of Atari's pc fps/rpg "Boiling Point"?
Being the video game connoisseur that Yahtzee has us believe he is, I'm suprised he never made the connection. Or maybe it's just me who sees it...
As it happens I thought BP was a better game by far even if it bugged out alot.

Oh and even though it's been explained 3 or 4 times now, he was putting on the accent as a running joke to mock the games laughable african accents. He didn't have a cold or anything, just a sense of humor.

I wonder if he'll skip the Gears2 review in favour of the new Lord Of The Rings game. It seems like the kind of thing he would do just to be...well...Yahtzee really. Unless of course he was once again asked to review it by "4000 bleeting lambs". Priceless.

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
hoov said:
I had to register, because something is confusing me.

Are people in this thread joking when they keep asking "what's with the accent" I realise maybe some younger members of the forum may not be so familiar with south african accents, but it was explained pretty clearly in the video that that's what he was doing.

And several people have asked about it, and it's been explained several times by various people that, he was doing a south african accent, and yet some people seem to be unable to grasp this very simple concept. So I can only assume people are either joking or must have severe learning difficulties. Is it that some people only listen to the swear words, and just sort of blank out the rest because they find it too confusing?

How about actually reading the thread, instead of just posting the first thought that pops into your confused little head and just skipping over any comments that don't seem to be responding to your own post.

I will say the accent was overdone and it seemed like he was just doing it because he was struggling to think of any other jokes, but I enjoyed the review nonetheless.
I think that some people don't even bother to watch the video, they're more eager to post how funny it was, or how ZP is not "what it used to be". Either that or they hardly pay attention to what Yahtzee is saying and they're just watching the cartoons.

ZenNz29

Jan 17, 2009
Was expecting Gears2 also, but this was still hilarious....take THAT fictionesia...Yahtzee does it again...except for the Dan Brown reference...not cool

Wurmbollie

Jan 21, 2009
tooktook said:
mokes310 said:

My time to Shine! I live in Cape Town South Africa and the accent he was imitating was the Afrikaans accent (The Afrikaans were the white rulers during Apartheid, now the country is 80% black) and he did an awful job. In places it was passable but it really did suck.

Also, it made playing Far Cry 2 that much more painful as the accents in that game are equally bad.
I don't doubt that you live in Cape Town, but you are not a South African. No South African would say "now the country is 80% black". The black people have always been the majority, it's just the law no longer discriminates against them, so they were voted into parliament.

You are right about his accent, in that he did a terrible job, that was a aussie accent through and through (I found his attempt funny though). The two lines of Afrikaans in the game sound like people from Pretoria did the voices, so the accent is quite authentic.

I'm a white, Afrikaans as mother tongue, South African, I can translate the words above the guy's head at the start of the review, but since this site is PG-13 I won't. Anyway good review, summed up my thoughts on the game quite accurately.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
So, yeah, that wavering accent thing was really weird. Also, the re-emergance of the purple dildo. We haven't seen that in awhile.

frozenpnx

Jun 19, 2008
Yahtzee, your change in accent bewilders me and has be concerned for your overall health. I do hope it is simply to bet the bitches off your back about not having an Australian accent, but I do hope you return to the British accent I've grown accustomed to.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
I really, really, DESPERATELY hope that Yahtzee re-records this thing without the nasal-sounding South African accent. Funny. REALLY funny. But it's so hard to understand what he's saying...

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
tooktook said:
mokes310 said:

Well, since I'm an American and don't have much experience in the realm of all things South African, I'll have to take your word on it. It still made me chuckle a bit, and yes, the accents in the game could have been done a bit better.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Good boy, Yahtzee. You reviewed the game well, and threw in some humor. You get a cookie.
The shin-kickery will come at a later date.

Wislong

Dec 10, 2008
I don't know what to make of it either ...

Although the accent was awsome.

Woundingisfun

Sep 2, 2008
Drop the transformation from a's to e's because it's driving me fucking crazy.
Otherwise a good review.

Dogmans

Jan 21, 2009
This thread has enraged me so much that I just had to register.

frozenpnx said:
Yahtzee, your change in accent bewilders me and has be concerned for your overall health. I do hope it is simply to bet the bitches off your back about not having an Australian accent, but I do hope you return to the British accent I've grown accustomed to.
Either watch the review again, since the humour is is clearly far too complex for you to get on first viewing, or scroll up and read ElTigreNegro's post. Not that difficult...

Nedned

Sep 18, 2008
Yahtzee's starting to sound... australian! Get back to the UK now while there's still a chance before you fully transform, Yahtzee! Noooooooo!

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
i heard many similar things based on the comments on steam, also my mom loved the Bear Gryls reference

(also i rewatched it, saw the credits and now i get it lol ki suck)

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
i have to agree with him. the open world sand box thing is getting kinda eh. i want a game that was well crafted has a set story and wants to tell me that story. the way proper RPGs and games were back in the PSone and PS2 days. the good ol days.

jvgp100

Oct 31, 2007
Come on people.

It's a game full of people with South African accents. Yahtzee makes a reference to the accent the first time he changes accent.

Make the connection! What it has to do with Australian accents.. or BIRMINGHAM ones(?!) I have no idea. ;)

Do people really think Australian/British/South African accents are interchangeable? They sound nothing at all alike. At all. I suppose if you're not native English speaking it all sounds the same though.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
VaioStreams said:
i have to agree with him. the open world sand box thing is getting kinda eh. i want a game that was well crafted has a set story and wants to tell me that story. the way proper RPGs and games were back in the PSone and PS2 days. the good ol days.
i agree, i do want a certain amount of customizability, but sandboxes are tiring, infact it makes me wonder why people are making sandboxes anymore? why not more games like
Half-life?!

Danoloto

Sep 10, 2008
Thank you for that review.
I actually have to say I have played and completed Farcry 2, and have enjoyed myself immensly. Not because it was a sandbox open end game of epic proportions, but because it was fun to blow sh*t up all the time. Once I got my hand on the grenade and rocket launcher, I raided almost every outpost just to see bodies flying through the air at an alarming rate.
Everyone his opinion I guess (and Yahtzee's opinions are always the most destructive, because he makes a video out of them). But a very enjoyable video, for a game that has left me with mixed feelings about it's quality.

What I'm wondering though is what the Stephen Fry mention was about.

Anitoon

Jun 18, 2008
That accent...I couldn't tell if you wanted to do a south African accent, British accent, or an Australian accent. I was wondering about what happened to your voice. Nice review a lot better than last weeks. You stuck to the game this time.

Coolspeedzero

Nov 12, 2008
Nice review but the south African accent doesn't work with a Australian accent.
I should know ,im south African
plus i found fry cry 2 very slow in the beginning

ace555

Dec 9, 2008
He's just sour cause South Africa beat the Brits in Rugby, thus the stupid South African accent he tried to copy.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Is it just me or is ZP starting to gain an Aussie accent on top of his English one?

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Hohoho Yatzee's crazy African accent is funny, but the fact that he said "zeabra" instead of the American "zeebra" is also amusing. Zebra :D

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Aside from the annoying accent (not sure what it was supposed to be exactly) it was another great review.

Ormick

Jan 7, 2009
Somehow I knew he would tear it to shreds. You've also been ripping on Michael Atkinson alot lately. Keep it up, put that fucker in his place. By the way, wtf was up with that accent?

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
yea what was that accent i think it could be australian but it could just as easily be brummie or for all i know south african

Repulsionary

Jan 21, 2009
Wow, people really don't pay attention to why he used the accent.
Anyway, it seems like everything he touches is pure gold. Since I've never played the game, I went and wiki'd the game, and honestly, Yahtzee's plot synopsis made more sense than the one I found.
I doubt I'll play it any time soon. Awesome review, again. They've become one of the highlights of my week.

jordith01

Jan 21, 2009
Crikey, Yahtzee, is your accent getting thicker? Too much Australian in the water or something? ;)
Seriously, I hope that the whole 'brown is real' trend will end soon... or that games will stop taking place in sprawling gritty warzones and start taking place in colourful comic book metropolises overpopulated by people in even more colourful shoes and jackets to tell you that they're going to try and beat you up.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
stiver said:
I didn't like how he shifted his accent =[
I like when Yahtzee does the normal: Beats the game to death, makes a lot of quirky comments, and has a final verdict. But when I heard his weird voice, I was scared for a second.
Also, why am I afraid of getting banned for this post?
I shouldn't,I know that =[

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Yahtzee is never quite as funny when he's not sure whether to like a game or despise it. Reviews of games he loves are a glorious celebration of the game in question and are funny because he berates game designers for not making more games like them (Portal, Saints Row 2). Reviews of games he hates are a hilarious verbal machine-gunning of the game, the game's developers, and their wives, children, and household pets (Sonic Unleashed, Fable 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 4). It's when he's caught in the middle that he tends to lose direction.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Repulsionary said:
Anyway, it seems like everything he touches is pure gold. Since I've never played the game, I went and wiki'd the game, and honestly, Yahtzee's plot synopsis made more sense than the one I found.
I doubt I'll play it any time soon. Awesome review, again. They've become one of the highlights of my week.
How did his summary make sense more if you never even played the game?
If you have super powers to play a game without playing it ever, I want them.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
Nice job. Everything said was so true.
This game really didn't feel life far cry at all tbh.

The fist one had levels where you did only one thing which followed up to a story. (Which is what I like.) This was just a stupid sand box game where you run around doing chores.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I liked this one, I thought some of the previous ones didn't focus enough on the game and ranted too much about ideas that had little relevance.

The South African accent was a bit overused though.

Remoline

Jan 21, 2009
I loved the review, i hated teh game. And the aussie accent ontop of your english accent was like nails on a chalkboard for me. >.<

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I was going to comment on his Aussie accent, but it seems I've been beaten to it by 7 full pages of people doing the same.

Instead, I'll express surprise that Far Cry 2 is apparently an open-ended GTA clone.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
gamegod25 said:
Aside from the annoying accent (not sure what it was supposed to be exactly) it was another great review.
Dude, that was South Afrikaan, more specifically an attempt at Boer (pronounced Bhu-ra) by a Brit made famous by Patsy Kensit in Lethal Weapon 2. It made me giggle, alot.

if you haven't seen lethal weapon I recomend it purely for the "bet your blick" line.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
I never thought you were going to get to shit game. I agree though the game, while technically very well built, leaves you with no since of accomplishment. After a while...you will just get bored of it.

No if you will excuse my I have to watch the second half again and try to figure out WHAT THE HELL YOU JUST SAID...

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
nice one... i waited at least 3 months for him to kick this game down the stairs and actually hes realy right... its not a bad game just not a comlete, full and actually finishable one.

oh and why are people keep being suspended for just posting? is their a law against talking first in this site?

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I felt bad every time I hit an animal :(

Btw, his accent was hilarious. IMO this review is an improvement over some of his latest.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I missed something in the review, connected with the "everyone hates you" thing; you're supposed to be in a war-torn country, but where's the war? Outside of some scripted thingies, everyone is busy hunting you down, outside the faction houses, where are the actual factions? The only thing I really hated though, were the mandatory medicine quests. Travel a long way, kill 3 guys, and you're done; yawn.
Apart from that, not saying that FC2 is a bad game, what there is is good; the shoot-outs are solid and intens (especially on Infamous), but there is too much of the same. Not enough gameplay variaty. Hence why I sometimes boot the game, do some random missions, have my cool-shoot-outs fix (especially going for a armsdealer quest, waiting for the circeling convoy to pop up and just see the RPG ripping up the truck in an awesome display of fire and debris, while survivors from the jeeps are being burned alive in the wildfire wich follows) and go play something else.
O and the Bear Grylls reference cracked me up.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Decent review. I have two things to say:

1. While I appreciated the humor behind the accent and understood that it was supposed to be South African, my (few) South African friends don't sound anything like that. Honestly, it sounded closer to Australian to me, even though it didn't really sound Australian either. I haven't played the game; maybe it had bad accents, and maybe that's what Yahtzee is imitating.

2. Why was there a seemingly random flash of the UC Davis logo? This completely bewilders me.

CJ1145

Jan 6, 2009
Loved the review, Yahtzee, and I totally agree about the pointlessness on the missions, but the accent made me want to kill a bunny... or perhaps a zebra.

Repulsionary

Jan 21, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Repulsionary said:
The same way the summary on the back of a novel I've never read makes less sense than hearing about it from someone who's read it. The creators will always have some sense of bias, making their game sound better than it really is.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
As a shooter, all of the gameplay will be similar anyway, but he shouldn't fault it for that
Personally I like the game and feel that it's a bit more polished than most shooters out there and that the world really feels like an empty African country at war, but sometimes a bit too empty

LordKraven

Dec 24, 2008
Nice shift in comments, I have only played the first far cry on xbox and it was ok, maybe. But I never really had a reason or urge to buy another one and now I have a good reason not to.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I wasn't a fan of the accent either. I felt that was the strongest point of the video. Althogh, Yahtzee does have a point. There are too many open world games and games where you create your own experience. I too wish there were more games where there's an already established experience that's fun and interesting. Games where you make your own stuff aren't my thing because some people aren't as clever as others and their efforts are average at best. And in some open world games, it sometimes takes forever to get to the best challanges the world has to offer, depending on how you explore.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
You know I think it says a lot when a "stupid, ignorant American" can figure out what the hell was with the accent instantly when it seems more than half the people watching this video couldn't.

He was making fun of the bad South African accents in the game, by doing an equally bad one. Note how he only started doing it after he introduced it while talking about South African accents as a "mutation"

Jeez. It's not rocket science/brain surgery/nuclear physics.

Anyway I liked the review. The Bear Grylls part made me laugh heartily.

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Is it just me, or does it sound like he's actually picking up the Australlian accent?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Repulsionary said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Repulsionary said:
The same way the summary on the back of a novel I've never read makes less sense than hearing about it from someone who's read it. The creators will always have some sense of bias, making their game sound better than it really is.
Ok,I get ya.
Thanks for clearing that up with me :]

D_Sage44

Dec 10, 2008
Awsome, I actually ejoyed the sound and feel of the gunplay, thought it did that better then alot of games, it just missed on the whole continual variety and the vehicles in that game, ehhh

Another great critique Yhatzee

P.S. Yhatzee is not a reviewer, he is a critic, dont call them reveiws unless you want him to give you meaningless numbers =P

hoskie

Dec 14, 2008
Somehow, I missed the news that Stephen Fry was doing the narration for LittleBigPlanet (I don't have a PS3, so I haven't played it yet). News that I might have missed this time around as well had I not gone back to watch the video again; pausing to take in all the text.

... it's really the little things that make ZP so wonderful.

(The Bear Grylls bit in particular made me laugh.)

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Sad to say Yahtzee hit the game right on the money. Only think I could add is the Enemy seems to take more bullets then you can. They Respawn so fast. In the second zone they are better aims and hit harder too. Gun are very unreliable plus the break almost none stop. The Guns will explode as if you have stuck a gernade into the clip. Finally charging at people only to chop them up with your knife is fun and more effective then the guns. All and all the game was not something worth buying.

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
i wonder if its possible if the people who post comments not give exactly how they feel about something "i didnt like far cry" should be the most u people should say. im kindve tired of hearing your opinions graphically announced
i didnt like far cry
oh and i dont wanna hear the if you dont like it dont do it bullshit

Decimator 3000

Dec 10, 2008
This game is great one of my favourite games of all time. Yahtzee is more of a comedian then a reviewer in case you didnt know.

DanTheBigMan

Oct 18, 2008
Pyronox said:
DanTheBigMan said:
Anyway, I liked it.
It's not the CryEngine btw, they used less than 2% of the CryEngine code.

In fact Crytek had absolutely nothing to do with it, it was all Ubisoft this time.
The base point remains, though.
If I didn't get into Far Cry or Crysis the first time, why would a shitty sequel make me any more enthused about it?

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
blinkgun96 said:
actually now that i think about it, it seemed he took a New Joysy accent
It was not a New Jersey accent. It was a South African accent. To me it didn't sound anything like a New Jersey accent. Try to condense your posts into one next time too

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
It felt he seemed to be forcing his jokes lately (especially with Mirror's Edge) but this one was hilarious in a great way again :> but the accent made my brain crush out of my skull and hide under the table :S

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
good review, but it seems our dear boy seems to have something in his throat. Not sure whats up wiht htat.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
thing is, Farcry 2 is ALL ABOUT the mapmaker. People have done some really cool shit with it. It's a pretty freakin' nice mapmaker, and really not that hard to learn. As far as the campaign goes, he's totally right - it sucks zebra balls. But I wouldn't write off the community cuz they're "not game designers". Yahtzee is always so proud of himself for ignoring anything that's not the core campaign. But some people dig makers/editors, and tons of people dig multiplayer.

Of course, there's still no excuse for the crappy campaign. The game has plenty of problems... but I bought it for the mapmaker, and I got exactly what I wanted. Ubisoft can only blame themselves - it's gonna go down in history as a niche title, with a small fanbase of mapmaking fanatics. That's not a very good way to make money.

smudgey

May 8, 2008