Zero Punctuation: Far Cry Primal

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yahtzee seems to be running into a lot of these "it's perfectly serviceable but it didn't blow my mind" games as of late.
Is that a bad thing though? I mean, it's an ok game. I'm playing it now, and yeah, it's nothing new, it's more Farcry, but if it's competently done, is there really a complaint? Can every game "blow your mind" after the last game "blew your mind"? Must we always have the next thing blow the last thing out of the water? The game isn't bad, it does what it does fairly well. I enjoy playing it, and I've genuinely had fun with some of the content. I love the one armed guy, and how gleefully happy he is to call you Smie Gahn!! every time he sees you. I'm a little disappointed by the animal companion system, as I found them more of a liability in combat than help. But that could be because I gravitate towards stealth runs. The couple of times I've gone balls out, I dump a crazy bomb on a tough mob, and send in my great scar bear, and just watch the chaos. It's amusing to watch, but not as fun to play, so I don't do it much.

Overall, I'm not sure it's worth full price, but is it a decent game? I think so. Worth picking up on sale for sure.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yahtzee seems to be running into a lot of these "it's perfectly serviceable but it didn't blow my mind" games as of late.
Is that a bad thing though? I mean, it's an ok game. I'm playing it now, and yeah, it's nothing new, it's more Farcry, but if it's competently done, is there really a complaint? Can every game "blow your mind" after the last game "blew your mind"? Must we always have the next thing blow the last thing out of the water? The game isn't bad, it does what it does fairly well. I enjoy playing it, and I've genuinely had fun with some of the content. I love the one armed guy, and how gleefully happy he is to call you Smie Gahn!! every time he sees you. I'm a little disappointed by the animal companion system, as I found them more of a liability in combat than help. But that could be because I gravitate towards stealth runs. The couple of times I've gone balls out, I dump a crazy bomb on a tough mob, and send in my great scar bear, and just watch the chaos. It's amusing to watch, but not as fun to play, so I don't do it much.

Overall, I'm not sure it's worth full price, but is it a decent game? I think so. Worth picking up on sale for sure.
I'm with you, I think Yahtz suffers that famed malaise critics get of "good isn't good enough".

4Aces

May 29, 2012
I want that fully loaded jaguar scene on a T-shirt. Then I can drive 3 hours to UbiHQ and make them wear them. Of course I will be packing bees in case they get snooty with their outrageous accents.

This game is not perfectly serviceable. As was said, there is no story. It is just a meandering mess of side quests, populated by some of the worst spear sponges (like a bullet sponge, but old-school) ever created. Bethesda is perfecting this style themselves, trying to make games by hitting a "randomize shit" icon in their toolset, and letting maths do the rest of the work for them. I guess Ubi realized that is the way to go if you want to have a modern sandbox game. Faster, cheaper, and with 500% less papercuts. They just do not realize that we are not going to pay an ever increasing amount of money for an ever decreasing amount of development effort. Remember, they had the bones of all the other games to build this out of, so mechanics and modeling was not that large an effort. Let us not even begin on the voice acting. ;)

I guess the next stage for this is DLC that lets you wear a T-Rex like a mech? Or perhaps you wake up and realize you were just in a drug-induced coma brought on by poorly constructed VR, and you are still in FarCreed: Shoggoth.

Meanderthals had aerially deployed explosive devices? My Anthropology professor has a lot of explaining to do...