Zero Punctuation: Final Fantasy XV

Spartan448

New member
Apr 2, 2011
539
0
0
I feel like someone should have kept him going at least through Leviathan because holy shit that fight.
 

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,635
248
68
Too bad he stopped where he did, the bad stuff was just around the corner, waste of potential this is, yup yup.
 

Gatlank

New member
Aug 26, 2014
190
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
In all of my life I have not played a single second of a Final Fantasy game. I've literally never even picked up a controller while someone else was playing it. I've only seen trailers and footage of those games online. These games look fuckin' ridiculous, in a bad way. And this doesn't seem like something that would get me started.
If you think the games from nes, snes and playstation were ridiculous then stay clear from the recent ones.
 

deadish

New member
Dec 4, 2011
694
0
0
Aiddon said:
Now if only FF could go back to starting it off with something exciting or mysterious instead of a load of bullshit trying to mask nothing:

-FFIV: You're clearly the go to hatchet guy in a world-conquering empire and have been thrown away after burning down an entire village.

-FFVI: Same thing, except now you have these weird Esper things that are coveted by the Empire.

-FFVII: You are a FUCKING TERRORIST. What the HELL happened to the world to bring you to this?

Seriously, that at least gets the player involved because they want to find out what happens next. FF's since VIII onward have struggled to even do that.
FFX was OK in that aspect. You are some star athlete whose ball game got crashed (literally) by some sea monster and you end up in some strange world that is supposedly a few thousand years in the future.

KingdomFantasyXIII said:
I see that Zero Punctuation's reviews are still biased as all fuck about JRPGs in general.

He did a poor job reviewing FF13 and I see he still continues the trend with FF15. Jeez Yahtzee, you suck at reviewing big time. If you actually played the games fully, you would have seen that FF13 is decent and FF15 seems to do a good job.

Seriously, if those games were Western RPGs, Yahtzee would be doing more 'praising' than criticizing because they would be western made.
Well, most of us long time viewers already know Final Fantasy isn't his type of game. Having him rip it a new one was expected. That said, he was a bit less negative about it than with previous FFs.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
I see that Zero Punctuation's reviews are still biased as all fuck about JRPGs in general.

He did a poor job reviewing FF13 and I see he still continues the trend with FF15. Jeez Yahtzee, you suck at reviewing big time. If you actually played the games fully, you would have seen that FF13 is decent and FF15 seems to do a good job.

Seriously, if those games were Western RPGs, Yahtzee would be doing more 'praising' than criticizing because they would be western made.
He didn't do a poor job at all, quite a few people disliked FF13(I.E. Jim Sterling)
 

gyrobot_v1legacy

New member
Apr 30, 2009
768
0
0
Detective Cosmic McBeardyface said:
So it seems to me the difference between Western and Japanese styles of open world is that the Japanese open worlds are not sandboxes. Ever since GTA every Western open world games have felt the need to allow you to mow down pedestrians and do jumps, even if it has nothing to do with the gameplay style of the rest of the game, while the Japanese worlds are more consistent with the rest of the game.
Sounds good to me. In the West game designers haven't been able to separate the ideas of open worlds and sandboxes, which are NOT THE SAME THING. Sndboxes are designed as spaces for players to invent ways of dealing with/ fucking about with the world. Open worlds are just one big connected area. If you're going for a sincere story, this Japanese style seems to make much more sense.
Or in GTA's case, used as a barebones basis for the actual game which an online game.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,223
1,845
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Gatlank said:
Adam Jensen said:
In all of my life I have not played a single second of a Final Fantasy game. I've literally never even picked up a controller while someone else was playing it. I've only seen trailers and footage of those games online. These games look fuckin' ridiculous, in a bad way. And this doesn't seem like something that would get me started.
If you think the games from nes, snes and playstation were ridiculous then stay clear from the recent ones.
I was explaining this to a friend. The plot for FFIV goes as follows: You are essentially Darth Vader, but then you get fired for questioning why you're stealing mcguffins from other kingdoms who aren't at war with you. Your best friend betrays and rejoins you multiple times because he was hypnotized by your Darth Replacement, who is actually your half-brother. But he was also hypnotized and a pawn to the real big bad who comes from the moon, which is really a space craft holding thousands of aliens in cyro-sleep waiting for the earth to be ready for colonization. Also, you and your brother are from the moon as well.

Then that's that whole wierd time-loop thing from the first game that's almost impossible to explain.
 

Headdrivehardscrew

New member
Aug 22, 2011
1,660
0
0
Spacewolf said:
Surprisingly the Carrot farming is entirely pointless apart from one side quest and after that the game basically kicks into high gear and the last 5 or so chapters can all be done in less than four hours if you. Noctis also gets called out on getting everything handed to him.
I'd have to disagree. Carrots can be traded for stickers, berries and some rather neat nice-to-have weapons...

I think the story and the game mechanics offer themselves to inspire some reflection without forcing you to get all philosophical about it. I really, really liked getting the plat trophy for this one, and I do hope we'll get some noteworthy DLC/expansions/alt endings.

Getting the Black Hood won me over. It's been a while since a mainstream title dared to force me to master its jumping mechanics, even if it's only optional and a one-off. There's definitely room for more old-school platforming fare in modern gaming.
 

ScrabbitRabbit

New member
Mar 27, 2012
1,545
0
0
I dunno why so many people are saying this is short for a Final Fantasy. I think that, maybe, a lot of people just haven't played any of the older ones since they were kids. I've been binging on the series this year, including entries I've barely played before, and none of them were longer than 30 hours even with side content. I beat all three PS1 entries again last year, too, and they're all about 25-27 hours. They probably just seemed longer when you were a kid because you got lost or pissed around a lot.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,223
1,845
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I dunno why so many people are saying this is short for a Final Fantasy. I think that, maybe, a lot of people just haven't played any of the older ones since they were kids. I've been binging on the series this year, including entries I've barely played before, and none of them were longer than 30 hours even with side content. I beat all three PS1 entries again last year, too, and they're all about 25-27 hours. They probably just seemed longer when you were a kid because you got lost or pissed around a lot.
I've heard 40 hours. That's around my normal playtime for a JRPG though I also tend to do a fair bit of side questing along the way, and then do some of the optional stuff near the endgame.
 

thepyrethatburns

New member
Sep 22, 2010
454
0
0
Today, I finally decided to try the demo for Final Fantasy XV.

I have literally stopped to watch some Zero Punctuation videos because the demo is sapping my will to live.

This does not speak well for the final product or the chances of me getting it for Black....Sunday.