Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 2

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Exactly what i thought about it.
Been waiting for this for ages, and loved will smith reference.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Very amusing. He is definitely liking more games these days. I also found it amusing that he explained what he was trying to do with last weeks accent.

Lanowar

Oct 10, 2007
I liked Gears 2 on the gameplay side; sure it's weird there are chest high walls all over the place but at the same time if it's the game's selling point why not. The combat, shooting, reloading and the focus on working as a team in multiplayer and Horde modes are pulled off really well.

The plot on the other hand simply falls apart the moment you escape the giant worm. Your thrusted back into the Locust's base and then you decide to do what they are planning to do and rather try to simply let you do it, the Locust try to stop you and sacrifice there troops in the process. Also the ending is more or less the ending of the first one. That is the story to Gears of War 2 it has some good moments though and on the whole is a stronger story then say Halo 3 which was simply schizo about the tone of said story and how it wanted to pull off the plot.

As for the video? It felt like a series of jokes I've heard a million times before since say Gears 1 came out in 06. Not to say he didn't hit the nail on the head but I've also heard other people say the same and convey the same feelings across. I am suprised he didn't have a dig at Cole who seems to stand out as a very cartooney character and what happens when Dom finds his Wife.

...Also I am still unable to figure out why people are confused over the bad south african accent in the Farcry 2 review.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I liked the "exchange the penis for a minigun" part and it was actually pretty funny.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Loved the review and distinct lack of bad accents, one of your best in a while.

I get this strange vibe about your Marcus and Dom that just screams "recurring characters". I can only pray that this is true.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
anti_strunt said:
Will Smith takes your mainstream and makes it better.
And he also makes white people feel better about themselves: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/21/14-having-black-friends/

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I loved it :D

I wonder...who would win in a fight of homoerticism, The guys from GoW 2 or army of 2?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Lanowar said:
...Also I am still unable to figure out why people are confused over the bad south african accent in the Farcry 2 review.
People are stupid. (yes that's the answer I'm going with since I knew what he was going for last week without having to ponder "oh is he doing a South African accent, then?")

Anyway I have to agree that a lot of what he said about Gears 2 is what people have been saying in general (myself included, minus all the positive bits) but at the same time collusion on what isn't good about something isn't a bad thing. But on another note I find it odd that Yahtzee praises a title for being mainstream while at the same time his larger mainstream example (Halo) was frequently used as the target scapegoat for everything wrong with FPS games these days.

Then again contradictory statements aren't new from him (and opinions do change over time) so I sorta just forgot about that after he inserted the "I wish there was an award for Most Pretentious Trailer" zinger in the credits.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
LesIsMore said:
anti_strunt said:
Will Smith takes your mainstream and makes it better.
And he also makes white people feel better about themselves: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/21/14-having-black-friends/
He's like the Mutual Black Friend of all white people everywhere.
He's just an all-round great guy like that.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
verd said:
"So often it's quicker to just trudge right up to the enemies, soaking up all the damage, and carve them up with your absurdly over-compensatory chainsaw gun."

Someone was playing on the easiest difficulty in the game. Both Hardcore and Insane mode would like a word with you.
Yeah, he does tend to do that... (...and can still manage to complain about the game being difficult...)

Chieffw

Aug 18, 2008
Wow, a truly objective review of something main stream :O This is why I have ZP bookmarked. Yahtzee clearly presented its flaws, and then presented its good sides in a completely professional manner....YOU ARE GOD! MAY I HAVE YOUR BABIES??

ikari_matt

Aug 19, 2008
heheh funny ill admit its been a while yahtzee has liked a game ,cant wait what else awaits this year ^^