Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 2

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Good timing for this video! As of yesterday, the Gold Plated Lancer is now available free for download on the XBL Marketplace! I doubt Yahtzee would approve of it, but here's the link if you want to queue it, or just search for it from your 360!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53082d/?p=1&of=6&sb=1&did=0ccf0001-0000-4000-8000-00004d53082d

rockchild17

Jan 28, 2008
I think Gears of war 2 succeeds where games like it that yahtzee lampoons fail becuase of the fact that cliffy B is excactly the demographic that these games are made for. he just also happens to be a great game designer and have good articulation.

my friend got to hang out with Cliffy B. apparently apparently they just talked about Cliffy's new tattoo: a cog from gears shown ripping out of his skin. it is people like that who Gears of War are made for.

ZenNz29

Jan 17, 2009
Loved it Yahtzee....been looking forward to this review for a while now...although you did bash the little things, I'm happy you did like it...but there is one thing that bugged me in it....the whole storyline thing not going anywhere and the broken story.....if you read the book that takes place in between games 1 and 2, you get a TON of backstory and realize why things are they way they are.

Granted, I can understand that you should get the story from the game without having to read the book....however, after I read the book (by the way, it's not that long), I got a real sense of the world that the COG live in, and had so much more fun playing both games again

Nonetheless, another great review...and by the way, I know you get paid for doing these reviews, but I dont think anyone's ever thanked you for them...It gives us gamers something to watch and laugh that relates to us....Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
the chest-high-walls were glaringly obvious in the first one too.
I like active reloading, even though it is a QTE.

And it's good to see people getting banned for commenting before they watch the video.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Damn this weeks banhammer had a good workout... Yahtzee seemed to have this I have to hate it, but I just can't voice this week and that gave it the spice it needed to make my day. It's good to remember that if you shut down half your brain when you play this game it's actually amazing...

Lord Doom

Aug 7, 2008
I thought Yahtzee would comment on his accent in the last video. As for the plot of this game, I think they going with the fact troops are given orders and that they are rarely explained for what reason or something like that and that not everything in life is explained when to your average person when he encounters something new in the world. You are suppose to be a random solider no one really gives a damn about. Although, Gears 3 better have you charge into general's or whoever the head guy is of COG, chainsaw a leg off on get him to explain everything and the last Carmine better do something badass when he dies like taking out 10 Brumaks and an army of Berserkers. The Carmine in this game was a character not a red shirt. The worm deserved to be carved from the inside out. AVENGE CARMINE! MAKE THE LOCUST SUFFER!

ZenNz29

Jan 17, 2009
Not sure of the author's relationship to the game, but it was pretty good...like I said before, tons of backstory

not_tragedi

Dec 24, 2008
I love that for all the incredibly well-thought out and complex games he enjoys Yahtzee can praise the glories of plain ol' bloodshed, biceps/triceps/abs and BFGs for the fact that they are fun.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
"Plus, there aren't any quicktime-events. Oh, wait, actually there is one. A little one. I guess that means I have to hate it then. Yeah, let's go with that. Fuck you, Cliffy B!"

I giggled like a schoolgirl from this sentence. Great and hilarious review as always. The thing about Dom's wife was deliciously evil and entertaining.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
People still try to post 30 seconds after someone posts a video? Dear Lord. And why not ban them? Only suspend? :/

Anyway, if Yahtzee likes GoW 2, than it's not really worse than GoW. Which I never got to finish, because every time I got to Act IV, the game went PEW PEW SORREY NO SAVVED GAME START AGAIN JA? on my ass.

Also, I wish GoW 2 was on PC. I don't get it - they are trying to get money by forcing Gears for Win... I'm sorry, Games for Windows in every bloody major release (Fallout 3/Dawn of War 2), yet they don't want to get game porter to Windows?

That's like we're in Bizarro world, where Microsoft is fighting for rainforests and Bono is a cat-eating bastard.

Dread_Reaper

Dec 4, 2008
I am surprised that he didn't catch the significance of the whole "mutant super soldier" thing in the lab. Kind of makes me think he just ran through it without listening to any cut scenes or finding any of those ubiquitous lab reports strewn about the place.

Oh well, it will be funny to see him eat his words when its all explained in Gears of War 3.

-Dread_Reaper

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
rockchild17 said:
I think Gears of war 2 succeeds where games like it that yahtzee lampoons fail becuase of the fact that cliffy B is excactly the demographic that these games are made for. he just also happens to be a great game designer and have good articulation.

my friend got to hang out with Cliffy B. apparently apparently they just talked about Cliffy's new tattoo: a cog from gears shown ripping out of his skin. it is people like that who Gears of War are made for.
Hahaha.

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
People still try to post 30 seconds after someone posts a video? Dear Lord. And why not ban them? Only suspend? :/

Anyway, if Yahtzee likes GoW 2, than it's not really worse than GoW. Which I never got to finish, because every time I got to Act IV, the game went PEW PEW SORREY NO SAVVED GAME START AGAIN JA? on my ass.

Also, I wish GoW 2 was on PC. I don't get it - they are trying to get money by forcing Gears for Win... I'm sorry, Games for Windows in every bloody major release (Fallout 3/Dawn of War 2), yet they don't want to get game porter to Windows?

That's like we're in Bizarro world, where Microsoft is fighting for rainforests and Bono is a cat-eating bastard.
what's funnier about this whole GoW2 not on Games for windows and microsoft basically delaying it is they will make more money if they release it for GFW.

my 360 died and i just can't be bothered to have a 5th one. i'm really cross with the 360 right now. but i do partly agree with him on mainstream games. some of them are good. but i'm getting tired of it. i liked back in the PS2 days when original IPs were coming out. something different. when stories were properly flushed out. but with the rise of casual and mainstream games. the quility of games has gone down. a lot of the younger kids or people just getting into gaming wouldn't know this. but this generation as far as games goes has kinda been a let down. I'll never own the number of games for the 360 or PS3 that i own for the PS2 combined

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Great video. I have not played GW2 or one for that matter many cause it on Xbox only. You review give alot of detials about the game. Seems odd of a game that could make you undecide if you hate it or like it. I still like the 75% retard comment. Sill I think you being a bit nice. Haha I would have gone to at less 90% or more.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
it must just be me, but whenever i did single player, if i got stunned, i was instantly dead, with no chance of being revived by my AI team mates, but when i did multi co-op with a friend they seemed to crowd around me and get in the way, just so they could be there to pick me up.

the video was good, and pretty much said it all. when you think about some of this shit it's quite obvious, and you wonder how you missed it. like the chest-high walls gag. they're everywhere, but you just say "yup" and keep on with it

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Lord Doom said:
I thought Yahtzee would comment on his accent in the last video.
He does, in the comment on the last "credit" screen.

Also, isn't there some kinda badge for being suspended?