Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 2

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Gears of War 2

This week Zero Punctuation reviews Gears of War 2, but only for all you big manly men.

Watch Video
I don't get what you mean, about bad ally AI. the only problem i had was the part where the player has to kill 2 maulers, then two bloodmounts, where in, dom ran to the cover down the stairs and got killed by the mauler.

ownedbygod

Dec 24, 2008
Come on Yahtzee...remember Psychonauts! Nobody likes you when your being nice and your reinforcing the fanboy stupidity prerequisite(except fanboys and devs of course). Besides, the only thing Gears2 has done is further the ideal that we can and should settle for less story as long as the action keeps us from getting bored and the screen is littered with more visual stimulation than anyone who doesn't see the world in stop-motion-vision can possibly expect to process. My point is that you can't have your meringue pie and eat it too. You have to choose if video games are an art-form or if you are simply going to pick apart every bad aspect and coddle your fanboys ;) I know, I know, your complex and damn-it-all if you don't continue to give us what we want, but for the love of Pete, love it or hate it, don't pfaf about and hope the Cliffy-B gives you a call, like Molyneux did, and pat you on the back while secretly wishing he had asked your opinion on where the story should have gone or how many color-pallets should have been accessed. Best Friends!

DrummerM

Nov 24, 2008
SpyOfGeneralTso said:
I'm curious as to why the Multiplayer aspect wasn't covered, though.
I'm going to take a guess and say that it's because he didn't have enough time to try out the multiplayer, or anything other then the campaign mode. Same thing happens with other games that have online multiplayer modes (Like Call of Duty 4), Yahtzee's said before that he really only has enough time to play the story-mode, finish it if he can, make a review and then do the same thing in time for the next week. And usually by the time he finishes reviewing the one game, there are a whole bunch of others that need to be done (As mentioned in the Mirror's Edge review).

Probably not spot-on, but it's close enough.

Bofus Teefus

Jan 29, 2009
I just started playing the first Gears, and he pretty much summed up how I feel about it with his Gears 2 analysis. Fun gameplay with characters so macho, you almost wonder if they're lying to themselves.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Clairaudient said:
keyper159 said:
cool new video but why are so many people banned for those posts??
They posted their "lolllzlz I LOVE YTAHAZEEE" before they could have even finished watching the actual video. The video was up around noon, lasted 5 minutes and there's people commenting on it by 12:01
Wow i though they got banned for just saying random stuff, and not saying anything helpful. Can't believe it took me so long. What morons. do they really wanna be Gonzos that much? They screwed with the wrong Escapist Contributer.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Yeah, it's a pity he didn't try the multiplayer, where you can headshot guys with a scopeless sniper rifle . . . while they're so close they're giving you tongue. Or they can hit you with it, and suddenly a precision and delicate instrument becomes a huge iron baseball bat. Yay, Gears! \o/

It seriously broke my heart when they announced it won't be ported to the PC. *sob*

killer_friend

Jan 29, 2009
I am glad that somebody in the game business agrees that GOW is not that great of a game, in fact i wish that people would stop putting Cliffy B on such a high horse, he isn't that great of a game designer and GOW is doing nothing but playing off of halo's success (no offense if you genuinely like the game) but i digress, great review yet again Yahtzee

Oct 19, 2008
Personally enjoyed it, but his review did shed some light on the not so great things.
Also, why did like the first seven comments get suspended? I see nothing wrong with them.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
DrummerM said:
SpyOfGeneralTso said:
I'm curious as to why the Multiplayer aspect wasn't covered, though.
I'm going to take a guess and say that it's because he didn't have enough time to try out the multiplayer, or anything other then the campaign mode. Same thing happens with other games that have online multiplayer modes (Like Call of Duty 4), Yahtzee's said before that he really only has enough time to play the story-mode, finish it if he can, make a review and then do the same thing in time for the next week. And usually by the time he finishes reviewing the one game, there are a whole bunch of others that need to be done (As mentioned in the Mirror's Edge review).

Probably not spot-on, but it's close enough.
That's probably part of it, I also seem to remember him stating at one point that he doesn't share the belief that multiplayer can save a game experience, and that a good game should be enjoyable both in single player and multiplayer (unless it's a game that has to be multiplayer only by design or vice-versa, of course)

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
I think he mentioned in the Halo 3 review that he doesn't spend all that money to find a short campaign but everything's in multiplayer.

As for Gears 2, I loved it when it first came out and missing 7 achievements but then it just got...old, I don't know.

P1p3s

Jan 16, 2009
good review - back to his thoughtful insightful self...suspiciously slow speech however...hmm
;o) only kidding, can't fault him, and it's nice to see him enjoy a game that I do and not leaving me feel like a plebian toad

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
I have to be fair, this game has actually held my interest somewhat, I mean i've basically finished it in two sittings and i doubt i'd play through the story again, but it was a good ride.