Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Sometimes a tie-in demonstrates how you can still use a big license, and make a good game without just a bunch of cheap refAHR AHR AHR I couldn't play serious.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Epic, as always. I like the massive queue of ghosts waiting to be caught, that was funny.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
One too many dick jokes methinks, otherwise this was a quality video.

It's not a review you understand, but still entertaining. Everyone else seems to be loving this game, and quite frankly I was going to give it a spin whether you liked it or not, but thanks for the heads up on a few things...

Dogstar060763

Jul 28, 2008
Such a good point about the uselessness of bringing in movie-types to 'validate' a videogame. It really is a pointless exercise which leaves everyone except the PR people wondering...WTF?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I normally don't comment on these things, especially not since by the time I get around to watching the vids the discussion has gone on to page bazillion and noone's going to give a damn about what I write or even read it at all to begin with, but there's something in today's vid that pissed me off (apart from being substandard in the funny department but they can't all be gems, can they).

It's the Movie: 2 hours, Game: 10 hours thing. Ten hours, what the bleep? Is that considered standard now? I know games have been getting shorter these days, but I'd never buy a game that lasts for only 10 hours. I wouldn't even get out of bed for a 10-hour game. If the main game is 10 hours but has awesome replay value, or has a great online mode that can keep me occupied as long as I've got people to play against, the pathetic length of the game can be forgiven, but Ghostbusters doesn't seem to have either, as far as I can tell from the vid...

MBFCPresident

May 15, 2009
I live in Britain, so it's gonna be months before I actually get to play the game. Still hopeful, really liked the movies. And Gears of War.

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
I found it funny that you said you had to whittle away every ghost and then fight over the traps, yet early on you can purchase the Slam Dunk trap and later you can just use the slime tether to capture a fully healed ghost. Super easy.

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
the game wasn't bad, there are very minor issues with it such as Egon or ray will bug you not to cross the streams, or how your upgrades just magically appear during your missions(not the ones you purchase). But overall GB is one the few games in awhile that I had fun playing.

Bokra

Jul 9, 2009
this game was garbage, the ending was crap and the "aiming" system if thats what you want to call it was incredibly off, weve seen dumb and bad ai but wow, just wow. im a huge ghostbusters fan always have been and i was really looking forward to this.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
iamq said:
Knew you would complain about the AI. Although is there any game except Left 4 Dead where you cannot complain about the AI?
Oh I complain about the AI in that game too. That said it is the best AI we currently have, if I'm willing to use the term AI as loosely as everyone else around here does...

My only real complaint in left 4 dead is that the 'AI' should act like the old Military guy is the leader no matter who you play as because it's annoying to have to lead them around every time.

serialver

Apr 14, 2009
Hmm, alot of cock related humor in that review, either sucking off or jerking, that must mean something but damn if I bloody care to think about it.. Ah well. I'm not impressed by Ghostbusters as a game anyway.

xLANKYx

Aug 1, 2008
junkmanuk said:
Hmm, it seems these days that Yahtzee seems to be dedicating more effort to creating 'funny' insults than actually playing the games and providing a useful critique.

In my mind a review should give the listener/reader a vision of what the game is like and whether it is worth buying. This review didn't give me that at all - it just seemed a jumble of precompiled insults and shock elements purely for self-gratification of the reviewer. I can almost hear Yahtzee masterbating furiously at his own cleverness while editing the piece together.

p.s. I really don't care about the game, before someone cries fanboy... but I do care about reviewers having a genuine interest in reviewing rather than basking in their own humour.

you do know ZERO PUNCTUATION isnt a "proper" review? they never have been.

what yahtzee tries to do is (in most cases atleast) rip game a new a-hole in funny & creative ways.

Tone666

Jun 17, 2009
MBFCPresident said:
I live in Britain, so it's gonna be months before I actually get to play the game. Still hopeful, really liked the movies. And Gears of War.
Buy it on import... its region free!!

Alacar Leoricar

Aug 29, 2008
Funny review as always, but you always have to take games Yahtzee rants on with a grain of salt. Some are not bad, some are horrible. It depends on how bad he burns them. And this review was relatively light on actual specific examples, and other folks in this thread have enjoyed the game, so the conclusion I draw from this is "if you like Ghostbusters, you'll like the game. Just don't expect it to be perfect." And I don't.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Wish he had more constructive criticism for this game; sure it wasn't perfect, but it was definitely fun if you enjoyed the movie franchise, and a fine example of a good movie franchise game. I think he was too focused on making fun of the game than critiquing it this time.