Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

WholeFnShow

May 20, 2009
I liked Extreme Ghostbusters too, within three episodes I heard references to Henry Rollins & Nine Inch Nails. Bodacious.

Jacques 2

Oct 8, 2007
Loop Stricken said:
Jacques 2 said:
On another note: Anyone else annoyed by the "outro" with the crying fans and the bit about never being thankful no matter what concession is made (Spider-man 3 poster taking forefront)? It's just a tad bit.. hypocritical for a reviewer to say...
That's the entire bloody point.
As bad as my sarcasm sensors may be, I'd like to think I could pick up on something like this, but I don't see it, and at the least it's overly repetitive

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Jacques 2 said:
Loop Stricken said:
Jacques 2 said:
On another note: Anyone else annoyed by the "outro" with the crying fans and the bit about never being thankful no matter what concession is made (Spider-man 3 poster taking forefront)? It's just a tad bit.. hypocritical for a reviewer to say...
That's the entire bloody point.
As bad as my sarcasm sensors may be, I'd like to think I could pick up on something like this, but I don't see it, and at the least it's overly repetitive
it's repetitive because it's been added to the end of every video to shill t-shirts. Just do what i do and navigate away after the credits. You can do that you know.

BernasLL

Jun 9, 2009
Ahahah, Yahtzee bitched about someone being too inlove with his own voice. That's priceless ^^,

Not that I'm complaining, I love the dude. If only I didn't love boobs as much as I do, I'd bloody marry him.

ThomJolly

Jun 1, 2009
I have to admit that I enjoyed the game in spite of its MANY flaws. I saw the ghost-catching gameplay as strong point, and found it to be quite fun. My complaint here is that there was too little ghostcatching. Beyond that, there's no denying that much of the game is a campy wank-fest. Brutal review... Well-placed hog.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yoda isOnline said:
iamq said:
Knew you would complain about the AI. Although is there any game except Left 4 Dead where you cannot complain about the AI?
actually i'd like to complain about the AI in L4D as well. Prime example is when we're holding out on a rooftop and Lewis thinks it would be a better idea to fuck off to ground level and get his bollocks bitten off and then spat in his face by a horde of angry zombies, and then not stop complaining when i refuse to heroicly jump in front of the tank to save him. I guess what i'm saying is that AI are, at the end of the day, computers. And computers have no common sense!
You know what? You win a damn cookie! I know that scene and Lewis is a fucking idiot. And AI? Hah! There's not gonna be a real and proper AI 'till we get HAL 9000 on the job. 'Till then, it's all pre-programmed robots with enough if-then statements to bury New York up to the Empire State Building.

(Say, funny question. If fans are supposedly never satisfied by whatever gaming industries put forth, then how is it that we're all here singing this game's praises? I sense a reversal of the natural order here in an ironic twist of fate.)

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
NotSoProBenny said:
Well I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I absolutely loved this game and yes it may be a fan service - but I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan so what do I care. I do have a couple of gripes with the game though;

Firstly why is there no co-op story mode? You nearly always have at least one NPC with you at any given time so hardly difficult to have implemented

Secondly the online mode is a huge let down. Matchmaking is a nightmare and there really isn't any sense of teamwork. Every match type is basically a competition on who can catch the most ghosts, and as such no encouragement to actually help anyone out.

But those things aside, I really did enjoy this game
This. Offline co-op mode really would've made the game better.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
heh, we complain about the AI more than anything in L4D. That, and how they gimped the Hunter.

As for Ghostbusters, well, I AM a fan, so that pig's pretty attractive. Still, Yahtzee's usually right on with my own views on a game, so this review has moved it from a buy to a rental.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
FalloutJack said:
Yoda isOnline said:
iamq said:
Knew you would complain about the AI. Although is there any game except Left 4 Dead where you cannot complain about the AI?
actually i'd like to complain about the AI in L4D as well. Prime example is when we're holding out on a rooftop and Lewis thinks it would be a better idea to fuck off to ground level and get his bollocks bitten off and then spat in his face by a horde of angry zombies, and then not stop complaining when i refuse to heroicly jump in front of the tank to save him. I guess what i'm saying is that AI are, at the end of the day, computers. And computers have no common sense!
You know what? You win a damn cookie! I know that scene and Lewis is a fucking idiot. And AI? Hah! There's not gonna be a real and proper AI 'till we get HAL 9000 on the job. 'Till then, it's all pre-programmed robots with enough if-then statements to bury New York up to the Empire State Building.

(Say, funny question. If fans are supposedly never satisfied by whatever gaming industries put forth, then how is it that we're all here singing this game's praises? I sense a reversal of the natural order here in an ironic twist of fate.)
You have at least versions of "fans" the nothing is never good enough fanboy fans, the dedicated enthusiasts who see media being dragged down into casual watered down piss flavored hell and then the rabidly mindless fans that drink said watered down piss.... which Yahtzee teeters on the edge of and enthusiast..... then again begin an anime fan we all swill it from time to time....

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Zefar said:
Chiefmon said:
Thank God we didn't have to wait a year to get the game in Australia.
Nope, this time it's Europe to take the shit. We ain't getting the game until September or something.
Why is beyond me.

Nice review though.
Reeally? It's out in the UK. (But I guess that's kind of seperate from Europe)

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
It's more often the case that I can't play the "new games" he reviews because they're on consoles I don't have, run on PC requirements that I don't match, or simply don't have the money/time to play them when they first come out.

Ghostbusters was an acception, because they were kind enough to release it on the PS2, where I can actually afford it. Gods more people need to make PS2 games, the system had years of life left, but noooo.. Sony had to.. well, that's an argument for another day.

MOVING ALONG... I found the game on the PS2 to be fun, addicting, and not bad at all. I loved hearing the actors (although the fact that I didn't talk was kinda boring), and in general the game was a huge nostalgia trip with some decent gameplay. I actually never bothered to try and cheat at it, because for once, a new game's come out that isn't riddled with bugs or other unbeatable problems. So for me, I found Yahtzee's review 1) hilarious and 2) not really on the mark.

Oh, I can SEE it being on the mark since I only played the PS2 version, and not whatever console version he got (probably 360 or PS3 from his Uncanny Valley comment), so I don't know if those had worse AI. But the AI in mine was pretty spot on, and I only had to revive characters maybe twice in the main game, and a couple times during the final boss which took me forever to figure out how to beat.

But yeah, I didn't really see any of the issues he had with it, because I didn't play the version he did... and I'm a big GB fan anywho and I've been missing the series since the old cartoon and the two movies came and went. However, I can understand why he might not have liked it. I, however, felt it was evidence of how good movie-based games can be when not rushed or tied to a new/upcoming release. The fact that the people who wrote the movie wrote most of the game made it easier to fit into canon. I don't know if Yahtzee is aware that the original script for Ghostbusters was so long, disjointed, and epic that they knew they'd never be able to make it into a movie, and I think that's where they drew some of the plot for this game from.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I have to say I complelty disagree with this review. I loved this game and so does everyone I know who has it. I mean the actual review was good as always but I was confused on a couple of points. Mainly that Yatzee complains about the ghost-trapping process. How else are you supposed to trap ghosts, if it changed then it would ruin the point of the game.

imkerrusin

Jul 9, 2008
I have it, and played it. The AI does act retarded when your working with the team. They tell you not to cross the streams and you end up doing it anyhow. x.x

disillusion_me

Jun 21, 2009
NotSoProBenny

"Well I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I absolutely loved this game and yes it may be a fan service - but I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan so what do I care. I do have a couple of gripes with the game though;"

you probably like the sims as well and spank your monkey intact to your clock, but hey there is still hope for you, even people with little to none expectations may one day fight windmills

Trenchgun

Jun 13, 2009
I've watched all your videos since the beginning, and I've never seen you so wrong about a game in a review before. It's just factually wrong in the way you describe many things, such as the photon beams: They really don't make it hard to see what's going on. I don't know what is wrong with you. You also fail by trying to hold ghostbusters up as an example of hollywood making games, when in reality all Akroid did was the script and consulting but left the actual game creation to the developers who were passionate about the source material.
The execution of voice and interaction was excellent in the game, raelly making you feel like a part of the ghostbusters team, and ironically what you consider cringeworthy is what all the fans of the series love. You made no attempt to understand or appreciate that angle of it.

What's the point of it all anyway? Comedy is based in truth. If you do a shitty job reviewing a game and fail to understand the underlying truths of it then you rant will not be funny.