Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Is this only out one the PS3 or do we 360people get it to?!? Because I wont mind buying it just for the hell of it, well after I buy a new 360 since my died, again

Called me a nerd but I love the fact that they got the old cast to do the voices

-M

Captiosus

Nov 9, 2007
civver said:
Humor is lacking. At least he actually talked about the game's features this time.
More like he lied about them or completely omitted them.

He lied about having to constantly catch ghosts.
He mistakenly leads people to believe you're always with the other 4 GB for the entire game.
He omitted having multiple weapons.
He omitted the puzzle aspect of the game with the slime tether.

In fact, his entire review could have been "I HATE GHOSTBUSTERS SO I HATE THE GAME" and it would have been about the same. The only thing he said in here that was accurate is the level of AI, but they're not even as bad as he claims. They're smart enough to revive other AI and the players, and smart enough to do so without getting both of you in a position where you'll be instagibbed immediately after being revived.

This is probably one of the worst reviews I've seen from him. It was lacking humor, was way too heavy on blow job jokes and he basically made shit up or ignored game play shit just to make the game sound bad just to get page hits.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Very true commentary on killing old franchises and converting good films to mediocre games.

So I guess better AI and a game that relies on the arduous process of traditional ghost catching might have worked better.

I definitely see what Yahtzee is saying about games actually being things that require at least as much care, thought and love put into them as movies. Actually they must be better.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I enter!
I enter to say I too liked Extreme Ghostbusters!
I enter to say I especially liked Kylie Griffin! Extremely!
I enter to enter Kylie Extreme Griffin!
I Extremely enter too especially oh sod it.

So this game, not so hot then? I've honestly had nothing but raves thrown into my face but being from England I just got Guitar Hero Metallica instead.
There is no corollary.

Edit:
Thinking about Extreme Ghostbusters and right before I go to find the flash vids of Kylie Griffin doing unspeakable and satisfying things, the cartoon was bloody dirty! At one point I distinctly remember her telling another minority slash stereotype that she wasn't a screamer! Now is it just my foul perverted and sordid pit of an imagination that catches a second meaning there?

Edit edit:
Don't worry about Doctor Who; they have an honest-to-God good writer now. and as soon as Torchwood stops being so overly gay (not that there's a problem with the gays I have friends who are gay and this latest weekly run of Torchwood is very nice and not gay at all apart from the gay bits but Russell T Gayvis needs to cool his flaming jets) then all shall be well.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXNxsEqRmEw&feature=fvsr (Opening from the "not-real" Ghostbusters)

Yeah, Ghostbusters has a sordid past.

As for the review, it was fine. I know full-well that I enjoy the reviews of games I play or want to play. I have no interest in this game, so the review was well done because I thought it was fine. (Yeah, that was a logical mess, I'm studying for the LSAT, so I'm getting a little woogy.)

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah.

Thing is.. [Grabs quote from youtube video]:

This show had nothing to do with the classic 1984 film starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd.... it was based around two loveable shlubs and their gorilla Tracy who would, well, bust ghosts.
So just an unfortunate naming coincidence.
And an utter bag of tripe.

*Starts watching Extreme Ghostbusters again*

Edit:
Come to think of it, now I'm older I come to notice that they always give the girl the smallest weapon! Bah.

GumbaMasta

May 8, 2008
Well I liked the game...when I was'nt waiting for the level to load, or getting frustrated at the low framerate, or having to wait for the level to load again when I had to restart it from a savepoint on my PC.But yeah I liked the game when I played it.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
ha ha ha ha ha! I was kind of hoping you'd do the conduit today, but this would have been my next choice. I also liked that line about extreme ghost busters, I watched every episode of that cartoon but I didn't think anybody remembered it.

MasterKeelay18

May 27, 2009
ghostbusters is too old to be taken seriously anymore and a game based on the old movie won't be one most people are into nowadays

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Damn, still no Conduit? And I guess not next week either since he's doing this Red Faction jargon or whatever. I wonder if he's avoiding it because it's a *gasp* Nintendo game.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
in my honest opinion, Yahtzee falsely criticized this game. i just got it today..and i had a blast. its fun, humorous, well written and the challenge is perfect, as is the game's learning curve as well. plus, with my powerhouse PC..the game looks fantastic.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
I didn't fully get what was said about Doctor Who. Can someone please elaborate on it?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
From what I saw in video walkthroughs, the game looked just about as Yahtzee spilled it, which doesn't surprise me as its a usual Hollywood game. I am at a loss at naming a good hollywood game. Yes the ideas are many times sound, but translating movie to game doesn't work. Movie =/= Game. Never has, never will.
brazuca said:
One day there will be a goooood game based on a movie or book. Goldenye does not count 'cause it only used the name. It's a entirely different thing from the movie.
Probably why it turned out to be a good game. A rarity indeed.

And now back to my spores, molds, and funguses. Or was it fungi? Hmmm....

Edit: Never ever take a critic's opinion as your own. Most times they represent the minority and have no idea what the masses do enjoy. Most prefer to hear themselves speak. (Can name a few...) I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews but I don't even consider a crumb of his opinions as to whether I will get a game. I have my doubts Yahtzee even gives a whiff of a fart on whether you actually decide whether or not to get a game based on his review, especially since most of the games he reviews has already been out in the US for untold eons.

BarcodeBuster

Jul 9, 2009
I don't usually mind Yahtzee bashing games I like this much but it bugs me this time.

I didn't find the capturing of ghosts to be that bad. I mean, it's not that hard to keep it in the trap long enough, not to mention that they have an upgrade that lets you capture them right away by slamming them into the trap. And I doubt that the game would have been as fun if you just shot the ghosts and they disappear or whatever. I mean, you are playing guys who run around and capture ghosts for a living.

And this is as much as I'm going to complain seeing as how none of it really matters and what I saw well unlikely change most of the people here's opinions (and like hell anything anyone here says will get Yahtzee to reconsider anything), but I don't feel like wasting the effort of having typed it all out.

Daemon[HR]

Jul 2, 2009
"Asking a film maker to make a game is like asking a sausage maker to suck of a pig. You can sort of see the logical connection there, but it is completely different skill-set and the effort will just leave a bad taste in someone's mouth."

If Yahtzee decided to run for The President of the World, I would vote for him instantly.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Hmm, it seems these days that Yahtzee seems to be dedicating more effort to creating 'funny' insults than actually playing the games and providing a useful critique.

In my mind a review should give the listener/reader a vision of what the game is like and whether it is worth buying. This review didn't give me that at all - it just seemed a jumble of precompiled insults and shock elements purely for self-gratification of the reviewer. I can almost hear Yahtzee masterbating furiously at his own cleverness while editing the piece together.

p.s. I really don't care about the game, before someone cries fanboy... but I do care about reviewers having a genuine interest in reviewing rather than basking in their own humour.