Zero Punctuation: God of War 2018

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't know how Yahtzee found old Kratos interesting, that bastard was just too much for me. The over the top violence just felt silly to me and I couldn't take Kratos seriously.

Interesting what Yahtzee said about the combat, he's the first reviewer I follow who doesn't like it.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Crafting? In my God of War?

Thanks for the tipoff. Probably won't get this now.

I'm also quite surprised at the route taken here. I assumed Kratos would begin as the protective father figure who wants to keep his son far, far away from anything deity-related and so spare Atreus the awful nightmares that will forever plague his father, becoming more and more agitated as the Norse Gods force their way into his life out of terror that the Godslayer is among them. Gradually, the father trying his very best to settle down and not murder anything for a month is replaced with the brutal psychotic we know from past experience is hiding beneath the surface, ready to make Odin wish he'd never strapped on his eye patch that morning.

But this makes it sound like he never does that, never stops trying to just be a dad. I also wish a God or other character would point out to him at some point that without his nightmares constantly driving him into new heights of rage, he wouldn't be a Godslayer.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
WhiteFangofWhoa said:
I'm also quite surprised at the route taken here. I assumed Kratos would begin as the protective father figure who wants to keep his son far, far away from anything deity-related and so spare Atreus the awful nightmares that will forever plague his father, becoming more and more agitated as the Norse Gods force their way into his life out of terror that the Godslayer is among them. Gradually, the father trying his very best to settle down and not murder anything for a month is replaced with the brutal psychotic we know from past experience is hiding beneath the surface, ready to make Odin wish he'd never strapped on his eye patch that morning.

But this makes it sound like he never does that, never stops trying to just be a dad. I also wish a God or other character would point out to him at some point that without his nightmares constantly driving him into new heights of rage, he wouldn't be a Godslayer.
The idea that Kratos never can, and never deserves to, find peace and redemption after all he's done apparently went out the window. I mean, it was only his most interesting character trait, the one that lead the first God of War to having one of the best endings in gaming history. I'm going to assume they brought in a new writer.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Are you serious? One is about a boy and a girl holding hands in an evil castle. The other is a boy doing something questionable to bring a loved one back to life. And the last one is about an emotionally distraught man looking for his dead wife. The formula is pretty straightforward in what it tries to evoke.
Yes I am; they use story formulas, not the award formula that Hairy Dad Games do.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Goliath100 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Are you serious? One is about a boy and a girl holding hands in an evil castle. The other is a boy doing something questionable to bring a loved one back to life. And the last one is about an emotionally distraught man looking for his dead wife. The formula is pretty straightforward in what it tries to evoke.
Yes I am; they use story formulas, not the award formula that Hairy Dad Games do.
Yeah, and they're all pretty standard, which you were arguing they weren't. All of them use a similar formula to evoke somekind of sad emotion, there's no difference. The only difference is current games are cheekily getting called out for it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Glad I'm not the only one who misses Kratos' days of being a human blender permanently set to pur?e.

Feb 26, 2014
My biggest complaint with God of War is with the crafting. I'm not sure why every game feels the need to shove that crap in now-a-days. Just give me a power up for defeating a boss and let me on my way, dammit! I'd rather fight optional bosses that bolster the effect of my abilities upon defeat rather than collect some ridiculous items I can't remember the name of to upgrade a thing. I don't want to be sifting through runes to find the ones that provide the best defense against those obnoxious elves. Don't give me any "5% increase" or "Low chance" bullshit, either. Aside from that, I love the new God of War and I certainly like this Kratos over the scumbag he was before.

Still want him dead and I still want to be the one to kill him, though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bob_McMillan said:
I don't know how Yahtzee found old Kratos interesting, that bastard was just too much for me. The over the top violence just felt silly to me and I couldn't take Kratos seriously.

Interesting what Yahtzee said about the combat, he's the first reviewer I follow who doesn't like it.
It's hypocritical on Yahtzee's part if you have seen his God of War III review. He more or less got tired and despised asking for anything to kill him. I think he needs to takeoff the nostalgia goggles.

SuperScrub said:
Aiddon said:
Worgen said:
I had a big post all ready to go then decided fuck it. This sums up all the games till now. Plus I doubt Atreus will last long enough to be come Loki, as soon as he becomes a teenager and mouths of to Kratedad he will be killed by Kratedad then Kratedad will go on a rampage against.... lets say the Buddhist gods, blaming them for it.
I get the feeling Kratos wouldn't fare as well there because this is the first thing he would see:

So to recap, Kratos is late to Norse mythology, late to the dad game, and late to the GOD dad game.
Too be fair Asura's Wrath is about as fun to play as watching paint dry.
Says you! Asura's Wrath may not be the best gameplay, but nails it on the spectacle, characters, and story! The only thing wrong with it was, Capcom's really stupid idea to make the true ending DLC. Asura as a character is way more likeable, and actually relateable with or without comparison. Asura would kick the shit out of Kratos, no matter which version of the latter.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
open world, crafting, resident evil 4 camera behind the ass where you can't turn around with the stick you need to press a button which would be better suited for a 3rd person shooter not this kind of game, slow ass uncomplex combat where all you need is to mash, dodge & block maybe, same troll boss fight copy-pasted like 5 times as area bosses.

yea this game is throw away at best.

The story at least did something different, it's good how the characters talk with each other. Thats it. Don't believe the hype, this game is just getting shilled by several PAID YouTubers. I'm guessing Yahtzee wasn't one of them or he just didn't care about shilling this game like the rest.

Well done, great video.

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
Strange, when I click on this to watch it I just get a dated advertisement video for a bunch of content that no longer exists on the website?!

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
3asytarg3t said:
Strange, when I click on this to watch it I just get a dated advertisement video for a bunch of content that no longer exists on the website?!
Perhaps we've finally entered the end times...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
3asytarg3t said:
The website has finally imploded from the looks of things.