Zero Punctuation: God of War III

Spelonker

Nov 15, 2009
stuartclement said:
yeah that pissed me off about the FFXII reveiw. how everyone just goes "ho ho ho yes final fantasy 13 is shit, why? Yahtzee said so"

and i was like "Rahhh, no its not the best game in the world, but some people like it, and some people hate it, how can you know untill youve played it? or at least seen some in game footage...."

I totally see where your coming from :)
It doesn't matter how much credit a reviewer has, as long as they present themselves in a reasonably respectable way and yabber on long enough about how a game is bad, even if they're joking or exaggerating, there will be someone to agree with him/her.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Oh, by the way, about the box art: am I the only one who finds it lazy?

I mean, God of War I features Kratos, hunched over, bloody blades in hand, staring at some temple where his next divine enemy undoubtably waits for him. It sings of a thrilling battle that is to come.

God of War II is pretty much the same. Kratos standing in front of a temple, blades in hand again, most likely about to kick down the gates and kick ass.

But God of War III? A close up on the eye, staring at you. Is this really the best you can come up with? Is that really the best way to sucker in the gaming market that you could think of?

My bet is that since God of War III was one of the most hyped games ever to be made, they figured that they could just slack off on the box art and it wouldn't affect sales at all. Which it didn't. So I guess laziness has gone rewarded in this case.

FastFoot92

Jun 4, 2009
Not even worth the rental

The ending especially sucked. I liked seeing Kratos die when playing, because he was so retarted and not even badass. Just killing inbreed idiots in togas. Then,after he's doomed mankind, OH IT TURNS OUT THEY WERE EVIL AND KRATOS WAS DOING GOOD. That was just insulting. And why the hell wouldn't Zeus be fearful of him? He killed his brother and was pretty pschyotic to boot. Not to mention the family history between father and son.....

And the Cronos battle that critics keep quoting? To me was just a moving background most of the time

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
I really think that doing this once a week over games I honestly don't think he gives a shit about is killing the basic premise of the article. He's ripping on the fact that a story has been dragged across a pretty fun game that really you don't need to think about.

He's better when there's an actual point to the vitriol, like Dantes Inferno or where he actually likes the game but raises some good points about it that are pertinent to the gaming industry as a whole, like inFamous.

I'm not saying it was a bad review and heaven knows it's fucking spectacular of him to keep this up in the face of his ever increasing workload being buried under a pile of snot rags but it honestly looks like he should take a break and jump back in when his batteries are full again.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Ah, seems like Yahtzee has sore vocal cordes.

Anywa, thank you for soldiering on and what not to bring us this.

Although, i was expecting a "Like God Of War but..." gag somewhere in there...

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
finally someone says the things that have to be said. GoW III can easily be described the same way like the series as a whole in one word: REDUNDANT

Tanto-chan

Nov 9, 2009
MultiColouredWonder said:
I'm convinced not to buy it now.
Don't do that! The game is stunning and, alright so i beat it in two days on normal but still I thought it was great.

berault

Nov 5, 2009
Great review, as to be expected by Yahtzee, but doesn't it feel a tad redundant?

Spelonker

Nov 15, 2009
J-Alfred said:
Oh, by the way, about the box art: am I the only one who finds it lazy?

But God of War III? A close up on the eye, staring at you. Is this really the best you can come up with? Is that really the best way to sucker in the gaming market that you could think of?

My bet is that since God of War III was one of the most hyped games ever to be made, they figured that they could just slack off on the box art and it wouldn't affect sales at all. Which it didn't. So I guess laziness has gone rewarded in this case.

It shows excellent graphic design. With having little going on in it with the red giving a high contrast against his white skin, it's very eye catching. Also, even though it's only an eye, you can instantly tell it's Kratos, and the frown shows he's an angry guy, which is what the whole game plays off of. The artists who made the game aren't lazy in the slightest seeing how there's tonnes of other promotional art out there and then there's the amazing design that went into the game it's self.

And do you honestly think that a game having a really huge, detailed picture on the box will increase it's sales?

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
SextusMaximus said:
I meant with other games, he always seems to pick out the tiny flaws rather than showing the true meat of the game.
Well yeah that's what ZP has always been about, not a review but just bashing the weak points in a funny way. I think he once wasn't negative enough about a game (Psychonauts) and nobody liked the video about it =P

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
tobyornottoby said:
SextusMaximus said:
I meant with other games, he always seems to pick out the tiny flaws rather than showing the true meat of the game.
Well yeah that's what ZP has always been about, not a review but just bashing the weak points in a funny way. I think he once wasn't negative enough about a game (Psychonauts) and nobody liked the video about it =P
Yeah, the moment Yahtzee gets positive about a game people seem to get really, really upset for some untold, strange reason.

berault

Nov 5, 2009
sinclose said:
berault said:
Great review, as to be expected by Yahtzee, but doesn't it feel a tad redundant?
Hasn't if felt this way for a while now?
Actually I'm glad that with his soar throat he doesn't rely on dick jokes and foul language as much...
I meant the game he reviewed not the review, I mean Yahtzee himself said "you review one god of war game you review them all"

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
You sound precisely like when you did your Heavenly Sword(s) video. Another flu bogged you down lately?

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Yahtzee sounds like he's tired and/or not feeling well.

I haven't played God of War III, so I can only go by what my brother said... which was that he was angry about not being able to get onto some platform or something. I'll have to ask again and see whether or not he ever got passed it, and was thus able to form an opinion about the rest of the game.

mannaroth

Aug 19, 2009
YEah too bad about the throat you can tell but its really funny that they suspended ESA_suit for commenting too early yet he said something that you would probably have to of seen the video to know :D