Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Another great review Yahtzee, I'm looking forward to next weeks.

Zand88 said:
Then again, I guess maybe the part of Yahtzee's charm is that he's arrogant.
Yep, thats certainly part of it.

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Loved the review!

He makes a lot of good points, and they're all true, though I really like this game (a heck of a lot more than the PSP games) despite its flaws.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I like how he bashes the wii/ds for the first half of reviews on the systems. It's a valid point that any game would instantly be better if it was made for a real gaming system rather than shovelled out like so much crap just to sell more.

HD, true surround sound, real multiplayer, real controls, and enough processing power to actually run the game for starters. All factors that DS/Wii don't have.

This game even left 2d would still have been better on PSP, and a ton better had it been a downloadable game for PS3 or 360.

It's a shame developers waste time on the Wii/DS that would be better spent on real systems

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
I would like to see the video of Yahtzee actually trying to remove the filling of a creame egg with a syringe. :>

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Snoopster said:
I'm all with you apart from one thing, ever played metroid prime hunters on the DS?
Yes, the controls sucked. They used the touch screen for far too much. Yes it was pretty precise for aiming which I enjoyed, but turning any more than like 90 degrees meant you had to lift the stylus off the screen (making you now vulnerable to attack) to start from the other side. It jumped a lot when you didn't want it to, and didn't jump a lot of the times you did want it to. Plus it had on screen buttons that would accidentally get hit during the aiming process.

Touch screens do not control anything but menus well

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Love the way people have to quote bits of the video to prove they have watched it and to avoid being banned at the beginning of ZP Video Threads.

Wasn't the best ZP I've watched but I agree about the controls being a bit iffy.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
GTA branded easy bake ovens :D
sounds like something a very desperate company would do.

Anyway as always a good ZP the egg bit near the end was funny as well.

Agrosmurf

Mar 31, 2009
I have a Ds but the only game I ever liked was Mario Cart and even that wasent very good. Now for the past year my DS is sitting in the back of my closet gathering dust.

Great review as usual.

garnercx

Apr 9, 2009
Awesome. The The long tone was a B, which is the same key as the Zero Punctuation theme music. Nice touch!

Feb 6, 2009
It was a good review, and Yahtzee's right. Somehow, a game with many faults still ends up being good.

Fun game though.

I wonder...what would happen if Yahtzee tore apart Pokemon Platinum? Hmmm...

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Actually, this review makes me wonder if a DS port of the original Command & Conquer would work...

Oh, and sorry to hear about the failure of the pickle-egg.

MisterLillie

Mar 18, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
I never expected him to do this, when I saw it it got me exited. (watching it in another window)

Edit: Wow, I'm surprised he didn't like it. I for one loved Gta: China town wars.... Still thats his opinion, even so I don't think filling a choclate egg with branston pickle is a good idea.

Edit...again: Every above me got banned, see I wanted to get one of the first posts so my opinion would be heard not for the first post bull. Why do people try to get first post? And when they do instead of using for a valid opinion they just yell first! or I'm and idiot for posting 30 seconds after a 5 minute video was released.... I'd like to see the day were the ban hammer doesn't fall on anyone in a Zp forum.
Your surprised he didn't like it? Have you ever watched zero punctuation? He doesn't like anything,

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Zand88 said:
I find it a bit annoying when Yahtzee starts to sound like he can speak for everyone. If you're going to review, you need to acknowledge that it's just your opinion. I don't always agree with him, but I find him funny and like to hear his thoughts. But in this review, just like others such as Mirror's Edge and Resident Evil, it borders on sounding like his opinion is the only one. You may think a game was bad, but that DOESN'T mean that popular opinion says it's bad. Quite the opposite, for all applied.

Then again, I guess maybe the part of Yahtzee's charm is that he's arrogant. It still makes me grind my teeth, though.
Or maybe you're just a moron.

A review is an opinion. You don't have to explicitly state that statements within the view are an opinion for that reason alone. This is exactly the same reason why lots of English teachers tell you not to use first-person pronouns in essays - or, at least, not unless you know what you're doing and using them sparingly for valid reasons.

"You may think a game was bad, but that DOESN'T mean that popular opinion says it's bad."

Your point, exactly? Yahtzee has his own opinion and disparages popular opinion quite often. You've got this whole thing quite wrong, he's never claimed his opinion is the most popular nor did he claim it is the only one. It's simply his opinion. The subtext of his arrogance is that popular opinion and most other opinions are stupid, and even if they aren't, they're irrelevant for the sake of his reviews.

300ccs of medicine

Apr 9, 2009
I'm really glad that games for the DS and other handhelds are starting to (or always have) suck, mostly because I despise the very existence of handheld game devices, and have since the gameboy came out. The only time I can possibly imagine it being an acceptable thing to use is if and only if you are either in a long line or are a passenger in a car driving a long way. Half my friends are into this and they actually sit in front of their televisions, with the TV off, and play the game. Seriously. WTF? I just don't get the point. When I am out and about doing things I actually have the condescending arrogance to expect other people who are doing those things to be paying attention, and tapping away at a DS is only more tolerable than shouting into your cell phone because I can ignore you while you ignore me while you're on your little game.

That said, GTA didn't sound like a good port onto a portable anyway, merely due to the restraints of the platform. And a great review by Yahtzee, he tears new ones I can't even reach half the time.

cancerbombs

Apr 9, 2009
I gotta say I was half looking forward to this game, but apparently my worst fear of blatantly pointless DS touchscreen integration have been realized.

Woe is me.