Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
CMWaters said:
It's interesting to see the view on this subject matter.

Incidentally, I do think there are SOME games that impliment both standard control scheme and touch screens. "Super Princess Peach" is one (and yes, I am a guy and I like that game. So sue me.) "Sonic Rush" and "Sonic Rush Adventures" used it well too, really only using it for the chaos emeralds or seaboard missions respectively.
Your argument is rendered mute because you bought Sonic Rush Adventures which is essentially the same as Sonic Rush.

I couldn't ever get over the DS's terrible idea of controlling with a stylus and it only really works if you have that on thumb stylus that you have to buy for 10 dollars, that's 20 if you live in Australia or have to pay the cashier extra to have them give you a M rated game... I meeeeaaan... well yeah, good in concept.

I enjoyed the extremely old programming joke if I'm the only one who got that.

Mr0llivand3r

Aug 10, 2008
Mythbhavd said:
Mr0llivand3r said:
ok someone's gotta tell me

what the fuck is a Branston Pickle and why is it so epic?
It's a pickle relish made in the UK. You can find it in some places in the US and I understand it has a unique tang to it.
finally!!! new doors of knowledge have been opened to me!!!! :p
thanks

danebot

Feb 16, 2008
Zand88 said:
CapnJack said:
Or maybe you're just a moron.
Feeling a bit touchy, are we? ;)

I wouldn't consider a review to be exactly the same as an opinion.

He never explicitly said his opinion is the voice of popular opinion, and I never claimed that he did, either. I just said that he was approaching that attitude.

There's a point where he makes assumptions of public opinion, and that's fine in general. It mostly bothers me when he gets the popular opinion WRONG, or uses his own opinions as generally accepted fact, when it clearly isn't.
CapnJack is right.

I disagree, and you're so adamant about it because Yahtzee obviously said something you did not like, and you're trying to find a way to disprove it by making him wrong. We can't all like or believe everything you do.

When something is said, the opinion is implied. If you go to review site to have your mind made up for you, then you're just another weak consumer I'd rather not hang out with. If you think that anything that anyone says about a product is not an opinion, then you can't be helped. If he's saying "GTA3 was great and the first two were not good" when you disagree, then that is all it is. A conflict of, wait for it, opinions.

I like the game, Yahtzee does not, I thought the review was funny, and I still like the game.

Aside,

Theres a lot of trash talking about the DS touchscreen and this game, and I personally don't see the problem, and, with Yahtzee's preference for title innovation, I don't see why he'd also have a problem. When I'm playing this game, and 20 missions in, there's still new touch screen mechanics being thrown at me to keep the game fresh and interesting, I'm happier for it. This whole "just because you can doesn't mean you should" is silly. To me, it's more like "I can, and I will make it as immersive as possible."

But disclaimer, this is only my opinion and not to be treated as factual information.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
a new GTA set in london. thats something I would buy especially if it was set in the 60s. they've done every other era

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Yay, Yahtzee agrees with me! I dont like the touch screen aspect of the DS and miss classic Gameboy which I still play. I dont want to use the stylus ever, but most likely I will so I avoid DS. I do play it when my cousin brings it over but I dont miss it when he leaves.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
It's not really hard at all to play the game simultaneously with the stylus and normal buttons (except for maybe the ambulance missions) as long as you hold the stylus right.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Dyskresiac said:
nathan-dts said:
Found it below average compared to The Escapists other webseries'. I laughed only at the Cream egg/Branston Pickle joke.
I find this confusing since escapist is really nothing but a bunch of kids whining and complaining with very very low brow humor. (Save from Yahtzee.) It could be that you just happen to like that kind of "Leave your brain at the door" fart joke humor, at which case it doesn't surprise me that you don't enjoy ZP as much.

That being said, Yahtzee really cuts through the bull when it comes to games and isn't afraid to give a game a good review if it is actually good. See:portal, Super Paper Mario, Psychonauts, Saints Row 2, etc. I just find that a lot of other reviewers (primarily IGN) rate games based on the hype factor associated to them. GTA games will always get better reviews than Saints Row games simply because they're more popular. Oh and, do I have to invoke the "Kayne & Lynch" law of reviewing?

I do disagree with him a lot, specifically when it comes to JRPGs, but he defines what it is he likes, what it is he doesn't like, and lets you form your opinions around that. You might like something he hates, or vice-versa. It beats rating things on a scale of 1 to 10 and just leaving it open to guessing.

Thus, why I never pay attention to any other reviewer.
What? The Zero Punctuation brand of humour is the retarded "Leave your brain at the door" fart joke humour. You have your basic homosexual, breasts and dick jokes, with nothing really original at all.

Hemothorax

Mar 27, 2009
I hate to admit this, having bought the game...

But he is right. Again. I actually buy games he doesn't like because of the reasons he doesn't like it (House of the Dead, overkill being one of them), but most times, when Yahtzee burns down a game I thought I enjoyed, I find myselfs thinking... wait a sec, he's bloody right!

kinda spoils games (and practically makes good spend money wasted), I guess. ^^

On a sidenote, what the hell is branston pickle? I can't buy it here in Europe...
Edit: Oh, never mind, it's explained on this page :D

rurikar

Mar 25, 2009
I definitely expected this kind of review for a top down Grand Theft Auto on the Nintendo DS (underlined the things wrong with this title)

But great episode and was intrigued by the egg at the end :)

PsyberGoth

Nov 9, 2008
Funny Review, as always.

However, I loved GTA:CW. If Yahtzee doesn't like it, it's his problem.

PeaceFistCreations

Feb 19, 2009
I just brought a shiny new DS lite, and this was the first game I brought with it, and I absolutely loved it, despite all the annoying problems Yahtzee accuratly pointed out.
The only one I don't agree with him on is the touch screen games, which I myself thought would be too distracting, but somehow they turned out just fine. They almost never have me fumbling around.
And I love the way they've implemented them, from slapping bugs onto cars to breaking out of sinking cars. There's as much variety of touch-screen mini-games as I hoped there'd be.
Its strange, ever since I'd brought this, I had this little fantasy going on in my head that Yahtzee would make a video of it, and low and freaking behold...

sfried

Dec 20, 2007
Hyper-space said:
Steven Kyzburg said:
Personally I don't see how you can have anything on the DS other than the good old Pokemon up, down, left,right zig zag movements.
true.
Contra? The latest Castlevania? Both of those don't use the touchscreen in-game at all.
Techni said:
HD, true surround sound, real multiplayer, real controls, and enough processing power to actually run the game for starters. All factors that DS/Wii don't have.
It's a shame developers waste time on the Wii/DS that would be better spent on real systems
HD, true surround sound, processing power are what make games enjoyable? You have your priorities mixed up young man...
Droz 12 said:
Wow he sounded kinda tired in this one.
I'd have to agree with this one. He had that going-through-the-motions voice as if he was reading off a script half-interested.

Also, would it be a crime to say I'd prefer a Kinder Surprise over a Cadbury Egg?

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
Looks like Yahtzee's gonna go to a special circle of hell for that "Menace 2 society" sign-off :)

Refer to his Left 4 Dead review. You'll see.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
he did sound tired, but the text itself wasn't half bad.

also I love how the beeeeep at the end was in tune with the music. :)