Zero Punctuation: Grim Fandango - Does It Hold Up?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Dat stinger at the end!

Bugger, I forgot it was coming soon but now I am somewhat reserved of it now if it is still that buggy and prone to crash. I probably wait now til they patch it up I hoped.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Still kind of baffled that people pick-on the RE1 remake as a remaster, It's a port ffs. Hell, it barely qualifies as remaster when all they did is add extra numbers to the files.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That graphics switching function was something I quite liked about the Anniversary edition of Halo: Combat Evolved. That switch was bettered in the MCC, bar that the old graphics didn't revert it back to 30fps like the original 2 games where.

As for Grim Fandango, the gist is that it's a warts and all remake and that's good? I still need to play the original so perhaps I can just skip to this one.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
"Testicle physics."

Good words to start the day with!

Frequently saving due to glitches and not in game threats? Sounds like a Bethesda game. :p

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
So since Yahtzee is pretty much the only video talent left on this site, how long before he leaves(or is forced out) as well? Taking bets.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Oh good, we got this weeks alottment of Escapist video content. Nicely done!

Grim Fandango was a great game back in the day, but I haven't played it since it was still reasonably new. And honestly, I still haven't decided if I want the remaster or not. It does the game no favors for me to learn that it still has so many bugs or glitches.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
SoulChaserJ said:
Taking bets.
I give it half a year.
Fuckarchon said:
I just keep getting video ads from Electronic Arts but seriously the ads (including other banner ads etc.) have gotten seriously annoying.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Malaysian Airlines. Ouch! Dang Yahtzee you're a rebel aren't you? Can't wait to see who is "triggered" over it.

Madd the Sane

Feb 3, 2011
Wait, were the bugs Yahtzee encountered in the remastered version or the original? Because Double Fine are updating the remaster when they fix glaring bugs.
Fun fact: the mouse controls were added from someone who added mouse controls to ResidualVM's (ScummVM for 3D LucasArts games) version of Grim Fandango, whom they brought in as a consultant.

That said, only $15 for a re-release? Not bad.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Logience said:
why does this entire site revolve around Yahtzee, again?
Let's see, Movie Bob is gone, Loading Ready Run much reduced, Extra Credits gone, most of the Podcasts gone.

Is there anything else left keeping the ship afloat?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
For all my love for Grim Fandango, I never finished it. I got all the way to Year 3 (the ship) and left it there, because I couldn't figure out puzzle #1, and the crashes were getting on my neves anyway. Wish I could get it again and try it out with a fresh perspective. It's nice to see it's getting a second chance at life. This and Monkey Island are the best adventure games I ever played.

Logience said:

You tell me.

baba44713

Sep 25, 2008
I played the original through relatively recently. I don't remember any bugs and glitches, to be honest. It did require some tinkering to get it working on Windows 7, but in the end it was a relatively enjoyable experience, and the overall story and gaemplay still hold up nicely.

I'm not particularly eager to get the remastered version. I'm glad it exists for all the folks who wouldn't try it otherwise, but for me personally I don't really feel I need to play it again with slightly less pixely graphics.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
This is the only genre that I completely trust Yahtzee's opinion. I played about half of the original Grim Fandango, and I kept a notepad for how many times it crashed. Some of them were probably attributed to Windows Vista, but it crashed 37 times in the 3 hours that I played it.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Never got around to finishing The Dig, either.
I finished The Dig way back in the day. It wasn't life-changingly great, but it was all right. Nice etherial ambient soundtrack.

On Grim Fandango, I don't know that Yahtzee meaningfully answered the question of whether it holds up. I'll probably end up buying it off GOG.com just the same.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The game hasn't crashed on me, but I haven't played beyond year 2 yet, so we'll see.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Dat stinger at the end!

Bugger, I forgot it was coming soon but now I am somewhat reserved of it now if it is still that buggy and prone to crash. I probably wait now til they patch it up I hoped.
Of cause I cannot speak about Yahtzee's experience with the game but I did not have a single crash or bug. I know that is only the experiences of 2 people but for me it has been a very stable game.

Johnny Novgorod said:
For all my love for Grim Fandango, I never finished it. I got all the way to Year 3 (the ship) and left it there, because I couldn't figure out puzzle #1, and the crashes were getting on my neves anyway. Wish I could get it again and try it out with a fresh perspective. It's nice to see it's getting a second chance at life. This and Monkey Island are the best adventure games I ever played.

Logience said:

You tell me.
Don't you just love it when you can do that. Well done.

OT:

Personaly I think the game still holds up. Loved every minute of it and I did not play more than an hour of the original as soon after getting it my dog picked my GF disc as her new chew toy. She was not allowed in my room after that.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Never really played this, just not big on the point and click game, but its good to get an idea what the game is about.

Also, will you people shut up about movie blob, and how there is nothing left on this site.