Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
House of the Dead: Overkill

This week, House of the Dead: Overkill versus Killzone 2. Place your bets.

Watch Video

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.

Edit: Well I've clearly kicked a wasps nest here.

Radu889

Dec 14, 2007
That was sweet. And yes when you look at it like that Killzone 2 is basically Gears Of World War 2...
And yes House of the Dead is pretty awesome from a presentation point of view. I recall seeing a bit with the narrator saying : " The ultimate Sacrifice!!!" while a cripple was getting a virus or something and then the black guy comes and says : "Freeze, mother fuckers!"

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
quickpaw said:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.
I guess he's decided on a fixed quota every month. Drama whoring does bring in more site traffic after all.

deewank

Dec 15, 2008
ive played kill zone 2 and i thought it was immaculate, An all around good game

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Eleventh! Oh, and I hate zombie games and movies in general, but a good review nonetheless.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
I guess he's decided on a fixed quotient every month. Drama whoring does bring in more site traffic after all.
He's already quadrupled the escapist?s traffic. Is that not enough?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
It's true: Jack Bauer even tortures metaphors.

Nice to see House of the Dead is aware of what a parody it's become. I just might have to check out those cutscenes on YouTube, as I don't own a Wii. Mine got trampled down by a bunch of screaming children straining the leashes held by their Twittering oblivious tube-top-wearing mothers.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
heh, it's funny because I actually have this and I really did only show it to my friends once.

deewank

Dec 15, 2008
JonnWood said:
I sense incoming Killzone 2 fanboy flames. Hit the deck!
Hey i am in no way a killzone 2 fan boy, i just thought it was great but i ive played games just as good like CoD4 and fallout 3. both good in my opinion

billyboy0321

Aug 20, 2008
NIce, I agree... House would be way more fun, but Killzone looks like it would be more serious fun (or at least it'd try to be, I've not played either, but am looking forward to renting this one)
Well spoken Yahtzee, I really liked the 'chasing the girls around the playground with a piece of dog poo-ingly stupid' comment... that's classic there.
Keep it up!

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Wow. Your first funny review in months. I agree with the House of the dead stuff disagree about the KillZone stuff.

Shadow Law

Feb 16, 2009
I don't know how/if he'll grade Madworld when it comes out but it'll probably be low considering its such a button masher.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
quickpaw said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
I guess he's decided on a fixed quotient every month. Drama whoring does bring in more site traffic after all.
Well, he's already appointed himself as the champion of Nintendo hatedom, he has to keep up the image.

For someone who spends half his time yammering on about how he doesn't care what anyone else thinks, he sure seems obsessed with retaining his fanbase...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
wtf? Bit early isn't it? Still, two games I've wanted to see. Disappointed that he's not doing a full review of Killzone 2, surely if it's as bad as he makes out, there's plenty of material for him there? Anyways, this makes me want Overkill, I think I might buy it for my best mate, cheer him up after getting dumped.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
quickpaw said:
Nintendo haven't made a good console since the Nintendo 64.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Feel free to call me stupid but...

I always thought that House of the Dead typing game was some kind of educational game or something. Or maybe it is. I dunno. I care about as much about zombie games as Yahtzee cares about JRPG's. Maybe less if thats actually possible.

Anyway, interesting that Killzone 2 was briefly mentioned at the end there in a sort of 'review'. The brief criticizing of the story will no doubt attract screaming fanboys to defend it.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I think the Sega being the Vizier behind Nintendo's throne is the best metaphor Yahtzee has ever used. I also like these videos where he has a relatively good temperament, it isn't all just about spewing bile.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Yet another high class review for all the family. He Really hates the Wii don't he. Good review though.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Wouldn't have it any other way? I personally prefer games that are self aware to have a bit of wit, and not just go overkill on character intros.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
If I had a Wii i'd have to try that. And yes Killzone two was hilarious.
Edit: Although it's a bit like comparing Planet Terror to Troll 2 they were both funny but for entirely different reasons.

JPMotion

Dec 23, 2008
angel85 said:
I also like these videos where he has a relatively good temperament, it isn't all just about spewing bile.
Totally agree with you here - some of his funniest reviews are for games he actually enjoys (COD4, Saints Row 2, Painkiller) - nice to see some more reviews on this end of the spectrum.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
Yahtzee needs games starting with I,K,Q and V....yes I went through the entire list...
also he has like 15 games starting with the letter S
and do games starting with "the" count as T's or as the letter the second word starts with???
either way he still needs I K Q and V

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
One of the first reviews of late I've found myself laughing quite hard at. Your hate for Nintendo and it's raving fan-boys really knows no bounds.

NOOBSAUCE

Feb 5, 2009
Good to see yahtzee sneak a PS3 exclusive bash into the Nintendo hate speech.

Oh and typing of the dead was how I learned to type back in grade school :)

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
The Wii would like to have a word with you. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/
I like off of that list the following exclusive games: No More Heroes, Metroid 3 and world of goo.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:
Nice. Instead of attempting to counter my statement or actually argue with me you come out with your pathetic snide little comment. You're clearly a fine member of the escapist.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I hate when yahtzee suggests Killzone is ripping of Gears of War (Gears of World War Two?). Killzone 1 came out about 2 years before gears of war 1. if anything, gears is ripping off Killzone

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I don't think Yahtzee hates the Wii as much as he hates its fan base and the missed opportunity it represents. Here is a platform that broke away from the two hands on a brick controler format, and all they are doing with it is making casual games about shaking the controller as vigorously as the player can.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
So the main complaint is that it's too easy?

Anyway, Rule 37: There is no "overkill", there is only "open fire" and "I have to reload".
I guess reloading wasn't part of the game once automatic weapons become available...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
quickpaw said:
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:
Nice. Instead of attempting to counter my statement or actually argue with me you come out with your pathetic snide little comment. You're clearly a fine member of the escapist.
What do you expect? In the Brawl and Mailbag comments threads, Yahtzee's fanbase outnumbered Nintendo's fanbase by about 3 to 1, and they were still complaining of persecution from some "massive army" of Nintendo fanboys.

I am thoroughly convinced, by now, that the people who hate the Wii spend much more time talking about it than the people who love it.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
Yahtzee needs games starting with I,K,Q and V....yes I went through the entire list...
and do games starting with "the" count as T's or as the letter the second word starts with???
good job counting all the letters he's missed i was going to do that but you did my work for me.

very funny stuff man, i watched the review 3 times to fully appreciate it and for a minute i thought he was going to have 2 reviews in one sitting, but anyway i hope he does attack Killzone 2 just so i can see all the fanboys come running to the defense of their beloved game.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:
What do you expect? In the Brawl and Mailbag comments threads, Yahtzee's fanbase outnumbered Nintendo's fanbase by about 3 to 1, and they were still complaining of persecution from some "massive army" of Nintendo fanboys.

I am thoroughly convinced, by now, that the people who hate the Wii spend much more time talking about it than the people who love it.
That goes for anything. Business operates on the principle that if someone likes something, they will tell one other person about it, but if they don't like something they will tell 3 people. Don't know how they got that statistic, but they tend to operate with that in mind.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
As a long standing Nintendo fan since the little NES, (well not quite, I first was introduced through the super nintendo, and by the time I got to the nintendo 64, thought it'd be cool to see the ultra early games) I loved the first part of the review. Oh good grief it's true!
I long for the days of the N64... When nintendo had good polygons such as duke Nukem zero hour and Turok 2. And those games, though glorifying violence and objectivising women, were never seen in the world wide media, or the twisted, clammy hands of Mothers-against-raising-children, all screaming for the blood of the developers for putting a big sharp object in it.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
DarkSaber said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:

That goes for anything. Business operates on the principle that if someone likes something, they will tell one other person about it, but if they don't like something they will tell 3 people. Don't know how they got that statistic, but they tend to operate with that in mind.
Well, this is the internet. Hating everything makes you cool and edgy, liking anything makes you a fanboy.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
It's true. But half of that is because the Nintendo fans don't actually have anything to talk about until the second quater of this year when some actual decent looking games will appear astonishingly on the platform...

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
The Wii would like to have a word with you. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/
Clearly shows the lack of quality from the Wii. Just a quick glance shows that the Wii only has 43 titles at 80+ score, whereas XBOX360 has a whopping 134. Also the Playstation 3 which is at times criticized for not having many good titles still manages 94 games at or above a score of 80.

Thanks for these stats, now go back to ruling your retardland King Wii :)

(As a side note I own a Wii and quite enjoy it, that doesn't make it any less the king of retardland who's raking in the cash from switching from 'standard' games to casual mass market endeavors)

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
Maybe its just me, but the reviews have gotten less and less funny and when I have to read the blurbs at the end of his reviews to get a chuckle then you know your time is almost up but maybe that's just me

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Sylocat said:
DarkSaber said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:

Well, this is the internet. Hating everything makes you cool and edgy, liking anything makes you a fanboy.
And posting flames and personal attacks to provoke a reaction makes you a troll. Funny you forgot that.

Tayrtahn

Feb 24, 2008
Typing of the Dead is a fantastic game. I remember wanting it so badly when it came out for Dreamcast, but not being willing to buy a special (and rare) Dreamcast keyboard for it.

Thankfully there was a PC port, which wound up on Gametap. I fire it up every once in a while to enjoy the entire premise. As if the concept of typing to kill zombies wasn't stupid enough, it features some of the worst voice acting ever (to the point where you have to question whether they were trying to be bad) and some of the zombies attack you with maracas and those squishy plastic hammers. Sheer brilliance.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
HEY YAHTZEE!! Maybe you should see if there's any Kirby games out there for you to review! I'm sure a few of them start with his name, which starts with a K!!

And maybe your next retro game review should be of Quake! :D

Edit: Oh yes, and good review. Love reading all the little dialog thrown in. :)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:

Well I had hoped that this was the escapist I had heard about not Yahtzee's fanboy cave. Clearly I was mistaken.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
I pretty much watch cutscenes or sometimes people playing the actual games just to save time and money. VG companies should probably sell 'videos' of nothing but cutscenes from each game they make, so people like me could enjoy without having to play through (yea I know it's not as fun and not all games have excellent storylines, but I'd love too see a lot of rpgs' cutscenes).

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
That was actually one of the funniest for a while (despite [or perhaps because of] the tongue-in-cheek Nintendo bashing).

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
DarkSaber said:
Sylocat said:
DarkSaber said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:

And posting flames and personal attacks to provoke a reaction makes you a troll. Funny you forgot that.
Um, I wasn't talking about you specifically.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
quickpaw said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:

Well I had hoped that this was the escapist I had heard about not Yahtzee's fanboy cave. Clearly I was mistaken.
Everyone knows Yahtzee IS The Elitist, sorry, Escapist.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
quickpaw said:
Kinda hypocritical for him when you think about what he said regarding console bashing/praising in the Mailbag Showdown regarding Brawl. Unless I'm thick and missed something. (And that's usually the case)

BTW, expect Yahtzee to mention that whole "you have play through easy to unlock hard mode" complaint again when MadWorld reaches Australia and he reviews that because it pretty much suffers the same problem. Although to be honest, that's my only problem with MadWorld so far. But then again, MadWorld is a beat'em up and Overkill is a railshooter. Both of which are genres that made their stay in the arcade market. Maybe them having a short lifespan is appropriate? I don't know, I'm no expert on these things.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Lordofthesuplex said:
quickpaw said:
Kinda hypocritical for him when you think about what he said regarding console bashing/praising in the Mailbag Showdown regarding Brawl. Unless I'm thick and missed something. (And that's usually the case)
Well, he HAS said he is very much aware of the hypocrisy, thank you, on a couple of occasions.

Low Frost

Nov 6, 2008
The first 50 seconds is solid gold. Anything that references the awesome that is Ving Rhames wins in my book.

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
JonnWood said:
okay call me a fanboy but killzone 2 deserves a full review not just 2 sentances wich by the looks of it only reviewed the traliers and where did he get germans from i mean guys with glowing red gogles and breading gas masks germans?? ok sure it was made by germans but theres noting to do with germans at all!!! and another thing the setting is 2152 or sumtaing along those lines + the only thing it has the same as gears is the colour wich it is better then with the lighting effets and i could go on more but the bottem line is
i want killzone 2 review!!!!!!!

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Best in weeks XD, though killzone knows exactly what it wants to be imo.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Breno said:
JonnWood said:
okay call me a fanboy but killzone 2 deserves a full review not just 2 sentances wich by the looks of it only reviewed the traliers and where did he get germans from i mean guys with glowing red gogles and breading gas masks germans?? ok sure it was made by germans but theres noting to do with germans at all!!! and another thing the setting is 2152 or sumtaing along those lines + the only thing it has the same as gears is the colour wich it is better then with the lighting effets and i could go on more but the bottem line is
And on his personal site http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/ he explains why you are likely not to get one.

Scoooby

Mar 11, 2009
definately a fair review of Overkill, although i did have a ridiculous amount of fun and arm ache playing it co-op, the frequent use of MF in the is hilariously OTT

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
I don't count them because then at least half of the games ever made would be T's.

I also don't count "Tom Clancy" either since his name has essentially become the word "The"

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
lasherman said:
I hate when yahtzee suggests Killzone is ripping of Gears of War (Gears of World War Two?). Killzone 1 came out about 2 years before gears of war 1. if anything, gears is ripping off Killzone
I was thinking that too.

It seems Yahtzee is getting a bit hypocritical...he wants games to be wacky over-the-top bundles of pure fun that don't take themselves seriously, but yet bashes on the Wii for providing such things. (not that the vast amounts of shovelware are GOOD, but it has the most that could fall into his category)

When he plays a PS3 or 360 game, he inevitably bashes it for taking itself too seriously and not including automatic rocket launchers, wacky hairstyles and heroin-pissing T-rexes. Then he turns around and bashes the Wii for not being "hardcore" enough. Make up your mind.

Note: I am not a Nintendo fanboy by any means; I own a 360 and not a Wii.

skib132

Mar 2, 2009
nice review but killzone 2 is not that bad a game i mean its better than killzone 1 by miles

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
willard3 said:
lasherman said:
I was thinking that too.

It seems Yahtzee is getting a bit hypocritical...he wants games to be wacky over-the-top bundles of pure fun that don't take themselves seriously, but yet bashes on the Wii for providing such things. (not that the vast amounts of shovelware are GOOD, but it has the most that could fall into his category)

When he plays a PS3 or 360 game, he inevitably bashes it for taking itself too seriously and not including automatic rocket launchers, wacky hairstyles and heroin-pissing T-rexes. Then he turns around and bashes the Wii for not being "hardcore" enough. Make up your mind.

He said he was very much aware he is a hypocrite a few times. He doesn't care.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ok here's the thing about his "Killzone2 = Gears of War" line.

A while back on here a certain user, who will remain nameless, tried to convince a lot of people the Combine from Half-Life 2 were actually a rip-off of the Helghast from Killzone 1. His logic? Killzone 1 came out a month before Half-Life 2.

Now what the nameless user carelessly forgot is that HL2 had been in development since 1999 so really, if anybody was ripping off anybody else (which I doubt they were), it was the KZ1 dev. team.

That brings us to now. When I see KZ2 I think 2 different games: CoD4 and Gears 2. And as to the Germans part: Look at the style of helmets and the gas masks. Then note that they look an awful lot like WH40k's Steel Legion (who are based off The German Military) Look at the way the obviously 2-dimensional Helghan leaders conduct themselves, and realize that there's kinda some Nazi-ish undertones, most likely not subtle.

From a first-look standpoint he has a very good point, granted maybe there's some subtleties and some amazing storytelling but I really doubt it given what a resounding thud the story of the first one made.

Also I don't really have much of a comment about the Wii hate here, since I really don't care at this point. I know what I like and I'm not going to begrudge people too much for not sharing my interests and still finding the few games that I enjoy on the Wii. Really don't see why we have to compare the size of game libraries in a time when the economy is sorta in the shitter (and as a college student I can't afford much anyway).

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
AceDiamond said:
Ok here's the thing about his "Killzone2 = Gears of War" line.

A while back on here a certain user, who will remain nameless, tried to convince a lot of people the Combine from Half-Life 2 were actually a rip-off of the Helghast from Killzone 1. His logic? Killzone 1 came out a month before Half-Life 2.

Now what the nameless user carelessly forgot is that HL2 had been in development since 1999 so really, if anybody was ripping off anybody else (which I doubt they were), it was the KZ1 dev. team.

That brings us to now. When I see KZ2 I think 2 different games: CoD4 and Gears 2. And as to the Germans part: Look at the style of helmets and the gas masks. Then note that they look an awful lot like WH40k's Steel Legion (who are based off The German Military) Look at the way the obviously 2-dimensional Helghan leaders conduct themselves, and realize that there's kinda some Nazi-ish undertones, most likely not subtle.

From a first-look standpoint he has a very good point, granted maybe there's some subtleties and some amazing storytelling but I really doubt it given what a resounding thud the story of the first one made.

Also I don't really have much of a comment about the Wii hate here, since I really don't care at this point. I know what I like and I'm not going to begrudge people too much for not sharing my interests and still finding the few games that I enjoy on the Wii. Really don't see why we have to compare the size of game libraries in a time when the economy is sorta in the shitter (and as a college student I can't afford much anyway).
He brings up the similarity to WH40k in an update on http://www.fullyramblomatic.com

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
DarkSaber said:
willard3 said:
lasherman said:
I was thinking that too.

I've also heard that before, or I've watched too much ZP that I can totally picture him saying that. Either way, well played.

I still love to watch ZP because it's usually hilarious (as this one also was), but the willful ignorance and outright assholeishness he's displaying can get a little annoying at times. In this one specifically, he reminds me of my older brother, who insists that Mario 3 is and will always be the greatest game of all time (I wish I was exaggerating), and feels the need to criticize miniscule things of games I play. (Keep in mind he's 24.)

chase211

Sep 22, 2008
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
Unfortunately it would be a very one sided conversation seeing as the Wii hasn't yet learned big boy talk as is painfully relevant by the top games there...none of which contain even the appearance of difficulty.

fco

Sep 21, 2007
Being a Nintendo fan, I didn't see this as a rant. It's a fact that Nintendo's focus with the Wii has been to appeal the whole family, and Yahtzee himself said he was Ok with this strategy. So if "not hardcore enough" is an insult for you, then yeah, that was a rant, but it was true nonetheless.

WillPG1212

Mar 17, 2008
i dnt get it, why no R2 or KZ2 reviews? (something about shooters on ps3 ??)

not that these arent funny,,, but House of the dead and spiderman...
?

oh well, wont stop me from watching, and laughin my ass off each week.

Hammith

Dec 26, 2008
Greatly enjoyed the stab at Killzone 2. I'm so tired of all these games that happen in the 'future' and then have one gun that seems like it'd be from the future. Why isn't there a game yet where you start with a lightning gun, which is the least awesome gun?

Bah! Bah I say! Less realism, more fun!

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
willard3 said:
DarkSaber said:
willard3 said:
lasherman said:
I was thinking that too.

I've also heard that before, or I've watched too much ZP that I can totally picture him saying that. Either way, well played.

I still love to watch ZP because it's usually hilarious (as this one also was), but the willful ignorance and outright assholeishness he's displaying can get a little annoying at times. In this one specifically, he reminds me of my older brother, who insists that Mario 3 is and will always be the greatest game of all time (I wish I was exaggerating), and feels the need to criticize miniscule things of games I play. (Keep in mind he's 24.)
Well, I'm 25 and your brother might well be right, Mario 3 rocks!

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
I bought Typing of the Dead, too! It's on the shelf right next to my computer. Fun game.

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
i do like killzone 2 but i do like it better when yahtzee slags off your favourite games you sit back and think hell thats true hahahahaha

now lets kills some space natzis... yay Gears of world war 2

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
"WE BAKED YOU A TYRE CAKE!"

awesome line even though I thought the video was review-heavy and lacked as much comedy as I would have liked

By the way anyone know how to get a hold of "The Typing of the Dead"?

TheMonkeySlayer

Mar 7, 2009
WillPG1212 said:
i dnt get it, why no R2 or KZ2 reviews? (something about shooters on ps3 ??)
Or shooters in general.
Guess he wants to keep it at a minimum, considering how many there are on the market.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
As for Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, basically I'm just so fucking bored of shit like this. The improbably Warhammer 40k-esque power armour. The automatic healing. The overcompensating macho beefcakes with voices like they've had their lips clamped around exhaust pipes their whole lives. The schizophrenic design-by-committee flitting between whiny drama and goofy wisecracks. The obligatory female support character with the no-nonsense attitude and permanently cocked hips. The monstrous, dehumanised, unequivocally evil baddies. The inevitable betrayal from the jaded authority figure. I've gone through the same banal motions so many times it's increasingly hard to talk about them in any meaningful or interesting way.
This is what he had to say about KZ2 and R2 on his website.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
A great review Yahtzee, always look forward to them. I share the same thoughts about the Wii. Its fine for a bit of fun, but the other two consoles are better for the more serious games.

cj_iwakura

Mar 2, 2009
Rodger said:
Feel free to call me stupid but...

I always thought that House of the Dead typing game was some kind of educational game or something. Or maybe it is. I dunno. I care about as much about zombie games as Yahtzee cares about JRPG's. Maybe less if thats actually possible.
It's House of the Dead 2 with a keyboard.

It's also extremely difficult, since it scales the challenge based on how fast you type.

95 WPM here, and it had me typing out medical journals while fighting the Magician at the end.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i thought the helgast in KZ2 where more British sounding, plus they didnt use gas masks all that much in WW2 it was mainly WW1, which also fits with the more trecnh warfare of KZ2.

Am

Mar 11, 2009
willard3 said:
lasherman said:
I was thinking that too.

Is it so bad to look for some middle ground?

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
nintendo should have kept the n64 but anyway the fact theres no killzone 2 review thats just sad

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
Hammith said:
Greatly enjoyed the stab at Killzone 2. I'm so tired of all these games that happen in the 'future' and then have one gun that seems like it'd be from the future. Why isn't there a game yet where you start with a lightning gun, which is the least awesome gun?

well there is a gun in killzone 2 that shoots lighting :D

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
At around the phrase "The most open-minded prostitute" the humor reached critical mass and attained self-sustaining fusion reaction. At least that's when I started laughing uncontrollably so hard I had to watch the thing again. And a few times more for good measure.

Maybe now people who say ZP isn't as good as it used to be will hush. . . this may be the funniest review yet.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Very funny, mabye next time you'll do mad world, if not... well I guess thats not up to me...

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
haha, i remember terrible translations from back in the day. the girl screaming "don't come!" used to get the prepubescent me giggling so hard.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
funny that you made this review and i just happened to be watching REC five minutes before i saw it, talk about bizare coincidences

+1 for the matrix
actualy concidering how many games contain zombies on the current releases it wasnt realy unexpected

o well whatever

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Breno said:
Hammith said:

shoots lighting? So... it's a lightbulb?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Breno said:
Hammith said:

shoots lighting? So... it's a lightbulb?
no its a gun that shoots lightbulbs. those CFL's hurt like hell XP

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
JonnWood said:
*20 pyros with back burners come out of no where and set JohnWood on fire, as the take of their masks, it is revealed they are robots, with the Nintendo logo, engraved in their robotic heads. Literal, Nintendo Bots*

Benj17

Mar 10, 2009
cutekittenkyti said:
I= ICO
K = klanoa :p
Q = Q*Bert
im lost for V though

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Breno said:
Hammith said:

Lightning WITH infinite ammo!!!

Nah, fanboys aren't going to run to defend the game, even with the copious amounts of xbox fanboys attempting to provoke them to do so. We like the game, and that's all that really matters. It's got plenty of good reviews behind it, it doesn't really matter that the one gaming critic who hates every game save for a select few released 10 years ago decided he didn't like it. In fact, it's not even a surprise, attempting to defend it would be like trying to defend your asian girlfriend against your racist grandfather who served in nam.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I think Yahtzee should do an Animal Crossing: City Folk review at some point. That game has a massive fanbase that, in my opinion, doesn't deserve in the slightest.

agerdemon

Feb 14, 2008
quickpaw said:

I didn't know you could get anti-fanboy fanboys lol. I think he just very annoyed with the crap that nintendo keeps churning out relying purely on the customers nostalgia.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Breno said:
Hammith said:

And in Quake 4

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
Benj17 said:
cutekittenkyti said:
I= ICO
Q = Q*Bert
im lost for V though
Viva Piñaya comes to mind
but i realy have an aversion to that games

Edit: Aktualy i just rememberd Valkyria chronicles, it's and JRPG strategy dunno whatever that is presented in watter collor that looks like it could be good,

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
Breno said:
JonnWood said:

Euh.... fail? the Killzone franchise is made in the Netherlands by Dutch people. Netherlands =/= Germany. Dutch =/= German.

The rest I agree. It deserves a full review. Even though the setting has been done a hundred times, it's better then Resistance and it's equally fun as GoW IMHO.

Benj17

Mar 10, 2009
Duh said:
Benj17 said:
cutekittenkyti said:
I= ICO
Q = Q*Bert
im lost for V though
Viva Piñaya comes to mind
but i realy have an aversion to that games
oh god yh
2bf i think my aversion stopped me from finding it :p

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
That was brilliant. I say skip Killzone 2. In all that game had nothing special about it and was average to the point of boredom. House on the other hand was brilliant in pure spectacle. While mind-numbingly easy its just something I like having on the shelf for laughs. I was so charmed by it not taking itself seriously. It was almost refreshing in this sea of serious business games that are completely unrealistic.

Bravo Yahtzee, I had a good laugh at this one.

MattClassic

Feb 21, 2008
[/quote]
KeithA45 said:
"WE BAKED YOU A TYRE CAKE!"

awesome line even though I thought the video was review-heavy and lacked as much comedy as I would have liked

By the way anyone know how to get a hold of "The Typing of the Dead"?
I'm pretty sure it's available on GameTap. I'd check their site, but their search function doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. I had the bright idea of checking wikipedia, but there isn't a complete list of everything there (which makes sense since you could just go to the GameTap site itself and search for it... if their search function was working :\)

EDIT: Ha, found it! It was listed under the "Premium Action" category:

http://www.gametap.com/video-games/premium/action?page=2

Chocolate Caek

Mar 11, 2009
I disagree about killzone 2, while it was kind of cliched and the weapons were all just rehashes of modern day weapons, it was a lot of fun. It is a lot like gears of war, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, it does kind of have an artistic feel to it occasionally.

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
Well, he's already appointed himself as the champion of Nintendo hatedom, he has to keep up the image.

For someone who spends half his time yammering on about how he doesn't care what anyone else thinks, he sure seems obsessed with retaining his fanbase...
Well i dont belive that he cares about what people are saying, but it is possible the his paycheck grows for each person he beings to the site. So if he appeals to the fan base then he should logicly get apyed more.

Im not saying thats it, but it could explain it.

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
Bravo, this review seemed to have that gene'se qua the some of his later reviews have been missing.

It was charming, not blatantly hatefull, and just seem to have this general air of fun. I susppect he might have actully enjoyed doing crating the review, it seem to have this very natural flow to it.

Walrus42

Apr 18, 2008
Hey! I might be able to get some use out of my Wii instead of keeping it in the closet, while my 360 hogs up the television...

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
OMFG, You actually believe these scores?

Funny that I agree Mario Galaxy is the best to come onto the Wii, but most of the others were shocking and I would cut that score in half and cut it again!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Very funny, mabye next time you'll do mad world, if not... well I guess thats not up to me...
Unless he gets an import copy at GAME TRADERS ROBINA like he did with Brawl, don't count on it. MadWorld just released over here in America yesterday and it doesn't hit Australian retailers for another 2 weeks. It'll be a while before he touches on MadWorld. I'm hoping he'll review Deadly Creatures though. I'd like to hear what he has to say on it, especially since it's another good game on the Wii and a pretty unique one at that.

no its a gun that shoots lightbulbs. those CFL's hurt like hell XP
Hey I had the exact same idea for a weapon one time. It's like we're on the same wavelength or something.

MrShrike

Oct 27, 2008
Falseprophet said:
Wow, three good ZPs in a row! Has the golden age returned?
assuming that everyone has invididual tastes in what they want from ZP and that most people praise them anyway, could it be safe to say it never really ended?

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:

Funny that I agree Mario Galaxy is the best to come onto the Wii, but most of the others were shocking and I would cut that score in half and cut it again!
You're both high for A.) thinking that scores have anything to do with how good a system is. and B.) for thinking that scores aren't believable. As if it's a God or something. Although, you could disagree with them, but that's another story. Oh yeah and C.) for thinking that your opinions matter so much as to be able to deem a system "good" or "bad".

Samexf

Jan 23, 2009
Great review, mademe chuckle. I love my copy of Overkill, though it has possibly one of the most disturbing endings of a game. Ever.

How the hell Overkill got past the NIMF or Daily Mail without causing any fuss is beyond me (unlike Madworld Ruins Wii's Family Friendly Image [http://themadworldblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/nimf-unhappy-with-madworld-on-wii.html])

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I liked the Wii/Zombie analogy. Pretty much the high point of the review for me.

Also, waiting for the impending Killzone 2 slaughter.

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
HAHA......Good Stuff.
I'm glad he gave a rip on Killzone 2 makes me feel better about having no intention to play it.

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
House of the Dead just isn't the same without an arcade booth and plastic brightly-coloured guns.

RELOAD

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:
Yes because that cartridge-based, low-poly spewing, crippled texture-mapping Silicon Graphics-designed gray box is clearly superior to the Gamecube and Wii combined. *SARCASM*

The Nintendo 64's hardware limitations and small storage medium caused it to miss out on many, MANY good franchises that found a home on the PlayStation. Sure, it had it's gems, but most were all first or second-party titles. Just like with the Wii Motion Control Upgrade, Nintendo was really dodgy and secretive about certain aspects of the N64 development kits with their third-party licensees. Consequently, the N64 did have the last of the good Pro-Wrestling games, that being WWF No Mercy.

And the Gamecube did everything right except for the childish marketing they slapped on it and their choice to ignore Online Play except for certain SEGA titles. They remedied the bad marketing later, but it was too far into the system's life to turn it around at that point. The system was, however, blessed with the final and best iteration of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy which is insanely fun with friends (not to mention epic in scale).

Personally, I consider the NES and SNES superior to the N64 as they were industry juggernauts in their time and trumpeted a literal sea of amazing titles. None of them compare, of course, to the godliness that is the Commodore 64 so they can all bow in reverence at it's 5.25" Floppy feet.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Doug said:
Breno said:
Hammith said:

And in Quake 4
And Quake 1

And Painkiller

And Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Well this video has been a poor quilty video. Yahtzee seems to be getting ether lazy or her becoming the EA version of critics in whichs his fame has gotting so be he feels he can just push shit out and think we will take it lieing down. I really that I was watching some shit video with Yahtzee voice just dubbed in. Very poor quilty then again all 2009 videos seem to be on this poor quilty level. I not even sure why I come back here each week. Seems the comidy master has drown in the waves if endless bad game. For every good game there is 20 bad one he has to review. Now I have to only hope the comidy will return one day. As of now Yahtzee seems to be wanting to review more and rant then the Yahtzee we all grow to love.

DeeperShade

Dec 17, 2008
DoomBlackDragon said:
I not even sure why I come back here each week.
I honestly doubt you'd be missed.

-

Anyway, great review (again (as always)), but honestly, I can't bring myself to buy the game. The idea of owning a HOTD game... :shudder: I'd ever be able to look at my face in the mirror again. :)

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:

OK, OK, I get it, everyone! My bad for trying to defend Nintendo. THEY SUCK! There, happy? Can I please not get any more flak over supporting a console and games I happen to like? PLEASE FORGIVE ME for having my own opinions. Won't happen again.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
cutekittenkyti said:
Retrospective reviews of Ico, KKND and one of Vigilante 8: Arcade, perhaps?

Don't know a Q one though.

EDIT: Quake! How could I forget Quake!

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
If you click the link to Yahtzee's site under the vid, there's a well thought-out dissertation on why Yahtzee isn't reviewing SF4, Killzone 2 or Resistance 2. In response to that dissertation:

Review Flower, Mr. Croshaw. Or play it, at least. You're obviously suffering from a dearth of artsy, incomprehensible titles.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
agerdemon said:
quickpaw said:

I didn't know you could get anti-fanboy fanboys lol. I think he just very annoyed with the crap that nintendo keeps churning out relying purely on the customers nostalgia.
Well aren't you mature. Starting the argument by insulting me. Anyone how can you Blame Nintendo for the games on its console, that?s like blaming a plane crash owing to pilot error on Boeing.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
darrinwright said:
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:

OK, OK, I get it, everyone! My bad for trying to defend Nintendo. THEY SUCK! There, happy? Can I please not get any more flak over supporting a console and games I happen to like? PLEASE FORGIVE ME for having my own opinions. Won't happen again.
I find it highly entertaining that the folks of the escapist seem to believe that an opinion can be wrong.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
quickpaw said:

I think he just doesn't like Nintendo, if every time somebody doesn't like something we call them a fanboy then what does the word mean?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:

I think he just doesn't like Nintendo, if every time somebody doesn't like something we call them a fanboy then what does the word mean?
I have no problem with him disliking Nintendo, what annoys me is the fact that every single chance he gets he insults Nintendo while complimenting the other two consoles. It happens consistently throughout his videos.

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
I found that funny, the best part is when he became all soppy and was like "Wouldn't have it any other way".

But that's mainly cos my lover had said the same to me 30 minutes prior on the phone.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Good review.....No really this actually said a bit about the game itself.........nice...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I knew Yahtzee would hate Killzone 2. It's colors are not bright at all, he doesn't care for multiplayer, and all you do is "kill" people in a war "zone". I'm glad he had fun with Overkill. I wonder if we'll see a MadWorld review.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
wtf? Bit early isn't it? Still, two games I've wanted to see. Disappointed that he's not doing a full review of Killzone 2, surely if it's as bad as he makes out, there's plenty of material for him there? Anyways, this makes me want Overkill, I think I might buy it for my best mate, cheer him up after getting dumped.
He didn't say it was bad, he said its story was bad. The way he talked about Killzone 2, it was like he actually enjoyed it, but he hated the story. I think he's spot on with that. Horrible story, fantastic game.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
That was a truly brilliant review, something I haven't said in these comments for a while. The amount of bile, sarcasm and actual seriousness was put together wonderfully. Great job.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Breno said:
JonnWood said:
If you can't see the similarities between the Helghast and the Nazi Sturmtruppen, then you need to go back to school and take History again.

agerdemon

Feb 14, 2008
quickpaw said:
agerdemon said:
quickpaw said:

Well aren't you mature. Starting the argument by insulting me. Anyone how can you Blame Nintendo for the games on its console, that?s like blaming a plane crash owing to pilot error on Boeing.
I wasn't insulting you I was making a joke and Nintendo aren't bad they are just in a poor patch at the moment, they need to start making up new stuff thats all. Didn't mean to offend.

agerdemon

Feb 14, 2008
agerdemon said:
quickpaw said:
agerdemon said:
quickpaw said:

I wasn't insulting you I was making a joke and Nintendo aren't bad they are just in a poor patch at the moment, they need to start making up new stuff thats all. Didn't mean to offend.
Also I mean that yahtzee is a anti-fanboy fanboy

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Nintendo fans-er, users are really sensitive...although I was too back when I had a GameCube and my Xbox and PS2 friends mocked me for it (but it actually had enough great games to not pity myself...and then the PS2 got RE4 too)...

Anyways, really liked how he slipped in a quick Killzone 2 review. At first I was like "meh...how you gonna find enough material for a whole video" and there we go, haha.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
nathan-dts said:
Wow. Your first funny review in months. I agree with the House of the dead stuff disagree about the KillZone stuff.
Gamecube, if anything was better then PS2 in just about everything, graphics power, controller set up (design, wavebird, etc), even the discs Nintendo prevented privacy where PS2 failed. However it never caught on as much, like what is happening with PS3 now. Super Monkey Ball 2, Viewtiful Joe, Metroid Prime series (it STILL looks good for a 2002 game), Pikmin, even RE 4 was released on the GC first and was the best experience visually (they had to add extra content since the PS2 lacked the power to keep up with what RE4 demanded) were just some of the solid titles GC had, the list goes on.

Of course Dreamcast was better then both consoles, but overall I'd say Gamecube would have been the best console in that generation if it wasn't for the pure fandom of the PS2... Sure PS2 had quality games, but it also had a LOT of shovelware like the Wii does have now, I can't even REMEMBER all the crappy PS2 JRPG or car titles I have seen.

The reason why Nintendo turned away from power is because Gamecube was a solid console but just didn't sell. So I find it ironic that Sony fanboys are giving Nintendo crap atm when the exact thing happened years before with the PS2... Sony got a new audience, had a DVD player attached and PS2 sold like hotcakes even though both Dreamcast and Gamecube were better (Gamecube came after PS2 of course, but PS2 still kept selling so much more then the cube, and even then, Dreamcast came before PS2 and it didn't beat it, so hype > release dates).

With that said, yes, Wii does need help. While it is most comparable to what PS2 was in the day, PS2 still had a lot of solid titles while Wii needs more.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
Velvet Assassin
Quantum of Solace (though it is apparently SHIT)
Indiana Jones and the Staff of the Kings (that should fill his Wii quota for when it comes out)
Knights of the old republic 3 (Bioware and PC, the PC elitists (like me) will love it)

But overall I approve of this review, and I think I will be referring to Killzone 2 as "Gears of World War 2" from now on it is just so fitting.

Might just get a Wii for this game... maybe... if it was just a bit cheaper because come on it now costs more than a 360, that is ridiculous.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
L4Y Duke said:
cutekittenkyti said:
Retrospective reviews of Ico, KKND and one of Vigilante 8: Arcade, perhaps?

Don't know a Q one though.

EDIT: Quake! How could I forget Quake!
i though about mentioning Vigilante 8, it brings me good memories, i mean cars batling to death with guns, rockets and whatever, whats not to like?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
If you can't see the similarities between the Helghast and the Nazi Sturmtruppen, then you need to go back to school and take History again.
Or actually look at the game. Heck just look at the helghast symbol, it uses the same colors and style as the nazi swastika, only with a slightly different symbol.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
"Gamecube, if anything was better then PS2 in just about everything"

Except games, which is what matters.

I own both and I play my PS2 exponentially more.

anyway I know a good k game for yahtzee to review (retrospectively) I wonder if I should e-mail it to him or if he'll just ignore it.

oh and can someone enlighten me as to the y game he reviewed?

cjackson92

Mar 6, 2009
I actually honestly doubt he really played Killzone 2. The game starts out all around slow but it was pretty intense fun towards the end, though I didn't play it for the story. I liked the comparison of space Nazis though I dislike his writing it off as being overly serious (though to his credit there are several things GG should have left out story wise)

Xyllar

Dec 19, 2008
Maybe this is an excuse to finally get my Wii back out of the closet. It almost sounded like Yahtzee actually liked this one.

PrimeZero2

Apr 30, 2008
He talks about ****ing his pants over Crysis and mentions nothing about KZ2's graphics? Whatever, great review anyways.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
PrimeZero2 said:
He talks about ****ing his pants over Crysis and mentions nothing about KZ2's graphics? Whatever, great review anyways.
You have NOT played Crysis.

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/crysis_trailer_2.html

And coming off of even a game like Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 2 has nothing going for it graphics wise.

Gameplay wise it is somewhere between Call of Duty 3 (not 4) and Quake 4, only with some ridiculous single weapon limit that fucking ruins the gameplay. I mean the 2-weapon-limit that Halo popularised was pushing it, only one primary weapon is utter arse-crack!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The Wii really needs more violent games... now of course I know violence isn't everything to look for in a game but in the Wii's case it would of starved to death long ago if it needed violence to survive.

That Killzone 2 BTW haha! Sure to piss some people off!

UncleScar

Hakuna Matata Bitches!
Oct 26, 2008
sophtswitch said:
UncleScar said:
As a Glaswegian, I approve of the heroin comment
Ditto! Mainly coz it's accurate.
It's irrefutably true ;)
Just go and stand outside any school, hell, any Scottish school at lunch time and watch for the heroin/coke dealers :D

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
dom de dom ich liebe wurst

possibly the best summarisation of the german national identity.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
Hilarious as always.

Maybe one day we will see games starting with letters other than 'S'.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Um, everything Killzone is, it was BEFORE Gears of War came out. If anything, Gears of War is a copy of it. When I first got Gears of War I honestly felt it was a console version of Killzone for PSP since it had the whole cover system, bringing AI allies back to life thing and the same grenade targetting system

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
quickpaw said:

The anti-fanboy, you mean...

Ahh, the sweet, reassuring feeling of being totally secure with one's identity...even when it's as a complete, senseless piece of VG tripe.

Edit:

Wow, was he harsh with Killzone...barely got more than a mention and a chuckle...(lol lack of german voice talent)
Even Gears he got around to fully reviewing...and he was quite forgiving with it too.

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
Yahtzee feeds from the tears of angry fanboys complaining that he dared to say something bad of their beloved console/game.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Wingmna said:
Gamecube, if anything was better then PS2 in just about everything, graphics power, controller set up
Cube's controller was horrible.
The dpad was too small
The analog stick sucked, it used the same design that caused blisters on the N64. It wasn't clickable. Then they made an even worse analog stick for the other side.
The bean button arrangement is retarded. It makes it hard to push 2 buttons at the same time when one of them isn't A. Try playing SNES games on Wii using the Gamecube controller (specifically running and jumping in Mario World) and you'll see why it's so bad
Why is there 2 shoulder buttons on the right, but only 1 on the left? Make it symetrical damnit.
Why only 1 system button (Start) Put select back.
The cable is abnormally short.
Even it's rumble is worse than competitor's, only one motor.
The controller is too small, I've got my fingers pinched by the dpad and c-stick things.
The ONLY thing they got right were the clicking shoulder buttons.

Wingmna said:
even the discs Nintendo prevented privacy
No they didn't. See the Phantasy Star Online loader.

Wingmna said:
Of course Dreamcast was better then both consoles
No it wasn't.

BIGpanda

Jan 13, 2009
always thought killzone 2 felt abit bland. more on the halo side than gears to be honest, point is yatzee summarized that game in a minute with something I still wanna play. great job.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Quadtrix said:
I think Yahtzee should do an Animal Crossing: City Folk review at some point. That game has a massive fanbase that, in my opinion, doesn't deserve in the slightest.
Agreed. When a game is completely randomly generated, how can any "new" game of it feel any different than simply starting a new save?

That and it's a gopher simulator, like taking the trading sequence in Zelda and wrapping a game around it.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Vanguard_Ex said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
What does that link show?
Wii has far less good games, and far more crappy ones than other consoles. I've used metacritic as proof of that in the past. Seriously, add the colors up. That link does not paint Wii in a positive light at all.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
Yahtzee has 8 S's already. Absolute SouthPark MadScientist material.

(I'm amazed no one made this joke before me)

excellent vid, really. :)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Am I the only one here who's starting to think that Yahtzee has jumped the shark?

His LBP review, while kind of bland, was made amazing funny by the cutscene in the middle. (I won't spoil it here.) And the last five games he's reviewed since, have been incredibly mediocre or just plain bad. At least in my opinion. (Did he really expect a licensed game was going to be good?) I've been looking forward to his reviews less and less lately and I'm coming to a sinister realization that I should have come to a while back. "Yahtzee has really bad taste in games, which is why he never reviews the ones that are good. Just ones that are really crappy or just plain uninteresting."

Occasionally, he marks a gem for what it should be. Saint's Row 2 was well deserving of his praise and although I haven't played Painkiller, I'm still hearing good things from those who have. But usually it's just the same BS. I.E. "I'm too hip to play mainstream games." Well, Mr. Croshaw, if your goal is to point out hidden gems of gaming, then you should. But when you review something like Skate 2, which I'm pretty sure 99% of the people could have told you just by looking at the cover was going to suck, then I'm pretty sure you're just doing this whole thing to stroke your ego and any humor that we find lately is a pure cosmic accident.

I hope he takes note of these comments and considers them. But I'm guessing Yahtzee is unlikely to ever see this comment and if he does he will skim it without a second thought or quite literally print out a copy and use it as toilet paper.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Treblaine said:
PrimeZero2 said:

And coming off of even a game like Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 2 has nothing going for it graphics wise.

Gameplay wise it is somewhere between Call of Duty 3 (not 4) and Quake 4, only with some ridiculous single weapon limit that fucking ruins the gameplay. I mean the 2-weapon-limit that Halo popularised was pushing it, only one primary weapon is utter arse-crack!
You haven't played Killzone 2 have you?
Having played all the games you mention, K2's gameplay is far better then CoD3 and Quake 4. Quake 4 was a run and gun badass game, try running and gunning in K2, tell me how far you get with that,,,
Look at the textures in Crysis as well. Playing them on ultra, and they are, well, a bit lacking.
Just read some reviews, it's clear how K2 offers a hell of a lot in the gfx area & gameplay, not to mention the divine 7.1 audio. But please, don't try to analyse a game you haven't played.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
johnx61 said:
Am I the only one here who's starting to think that Yahtzee has jumped the shark?

His LBP review, while kind of bland, was made amazing funny by the cutscene in the middle. (I won't spoil it here.) And the last five games he's reviewed since, have been incredibly mediocre or just plain bad. At least in my opinion. (Did he really expect a licensed game was going to be good?) I've been looking forward to his reviews less and less lately and I'm coming to a sinister realization that I should have come to a while back. "Yahtzee has really bad taste in games, which is why he never reviews the ones that are good. Just ones that are really crappy or just plain uninteresting."

Occasionally, he marks a gem for what it should be. Saint's Row 2 was well deserving of his praise and although I haven't played Painkiller, I'm still hearing good things from those who have. But usually it's just the same BS. I.E. "I'm too hip to play mainstream games." Well, Mr. Croshaw, if your goal is to point out hidden gems of gaming, then you should. But when you review something like Skate 2, which I'm pretty sure 99% of the people could have told you just by looking at the cover was going to suck, then I'm pretty sure you're just doing this whole thing to stroke your ego and any humor that we find lately is a pure cosmic accident.

I hope he takes note of these comments and considers them. But I'm guessing Yahtzee is unlikely to ever see this comment and if he does he will skim it without a second thought or quite literally print out a copy and use it as toilet paper.
Holy sh*t, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I have been looking foward less & less to his reviews and I couldn't figure out why. Fact is a lot of the games he's reviewed anyone could have seen they were going to be poor from the cover, meaning the review is just going to be more of the same.
I think his talent is seeing games for what they are, like Far Cry 2, and pointing out flaws which the average critic would forget to notice, while mentioning it in a comical manner.
Mainstream doesn't mean crap, just like movies. And to be honest I'm surprised he doesn't play multiplayer, what's more hilarious & enjoyable then hitting/shooting people online?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
A retrospective of Killer 7, to say why its better than No More Heroes, a compilation review talking about the history and future of Quick Time Events, Valkyria Chronicles to prove to himself its possible for a JRPG to not suck, and by that time we'll be ready for inFAMOUS. There, a full alphabet of games.

grimoire2008

Mar 12, 2009
Yahtzee your an idiot. Your ignorance toward any game you haven't played is appalling... At least read about the game first if you are going to mention it in a video and pretend you know what you are saying.

Every time you mention 'Killzone 2', you comment as if it is copying 'Gears of War'. Well let me set you straight, 'Killzone' was introduced in 2004 on the PS2, 'Gears of War' came a whole two years later for X360. So now that I set you straight, are you going to still call it 'Gears of World War 2'? How about you call GoW 'Killzone-Look-Alike' since Killzone was the first game and since you seem to think they are practically the same game.

So why don't you stick your tail between your legs and admit you don't have a damn clue what your talking about. Call me a fan boy if you want, but at least I can get my facts straight.

Sah_Kuh

Feb 21, 2009
Not as funny as last time, but if there's one thing I don't want, its for it to be too funny. Then the neighbors complain.

Hey, everyone is delegated to a certain amount of mistakes. Even Yahtzee. So what if Killzone came out before? To the critics, killzone 2 is a GoW clone. Its one of those big, who gives a f---, I haven't even heard of Killzone until now.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Treblaine said:
PrimeZero2 said:

You haven't played Killzone 2 have you?
Having played all the games you mention, K2's gameplay is far better then CoD3 and Quake 4. Quake 4 was a run and gun badass game, try running and gunning in K2, tell me how far you get with that,,,
Look at the textures in Crysis as well. Playing them on ultra, and they are, well, a bit lacking.
Just read some reviews, it's clear how K2 offers a hell of a lot in the gfx area & gameplay, not to mention the divine 7.1 audio. But please, don't try to analyse a game you haven't played.
I have played the demo and for the record that is EXACTLY the same as the final game only limited in length. Don't tell me I have no right to an opinion until I have played the whole game, that is the ENTIRE POINT of releasing a demo, to let you know what the game is like and the fundamental mechanics suck balls! Don't tell what my own personal preferences are, I've fiddled with the control settings and everything, they are utter ass. I'm talking the single weapon limit and even the weapons and enemies, sources have confirmed they are just as bland all the way through the game. I mean COD:WAW has more exciting weapons.

Just read EDGE Magazine's review of KZ2, that sums it up best.

Did you even look at the video in the link I gave you? You may be in denial but I and 99% of other people - who can tell their arse from their elbow - can tell which looks better.

Also, I don't know about you but a 7.1 audio surround system requires a large room, a speaker set over £10,000 and either deaf neighbours or very very good soundproofing. The only people who I know who have 7.1 audio systems are utter berks who have more money than sense. In the process you also need a massive HDTV ($$$) as you have to sit quite far back for 7.1 to work. and ANY PC game offers 7.1 or better surround sound support with a standard sound card.

solidd

Aug 27, 2008
ehh on the topic of Wii, i have to say the nintendo 64 has so many more classic games that sometimes me and a few mates will play even when a wii is sitting right next to the dusty old 64. the original super smash bros. (with limited gimmicky shit), goldeneye and the original mario kart...oh god what a great game and many more, the problem with wii is that the games have to try too hard to fit into the consoles specifications and as a result sometimes they lose quality, not always though wii still has some good stuff to offer imo

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
I disagree with his view of it being a gears of world war two... even though I thought it was pretty funny... I've played both and I thought of them to be different. I loved them both so I'm not waving the fanboy stick I was hoping he'd say a little more about the game. oh well maybe he'll put out a reviw for it in borken up segments or something

as well I also liked the game cube (( RE 4..... and other resident evils)) the N64 was awsome with my all time favorite game Conkers bad fur day.I've never gotten tired of it. for me its a game for the ages...

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
gamegod25 said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Or actually look at the game. Heck just look at the helghast symbol, it uses the same colors and style as the nazi swastika, only with a slightly different symbol.
Slightly? the four pointed swastika versus the Arrow headed Y? Yes the chosen colours are the same but thats where it stops. but what do you care? I'm just another fanboy pissing in the wind? There's a lot more difference than you think? but yes I do see the similarities.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
darrinwright said:
I'm sorry, I feel like Nintendo betrayed us and I can't help myself and point out that this time they are flawed. The Wii does have some good games as well as the other consoles, unlike some of the Wii owners, mine hasn't been collecting dust because I have managed to find a good variety of games to still keep my main interest in Nintendo.

Keep defending Nintendo but for Gods sake try avoid talking about Mario Kart and Brawl, those are bad examples! Mario Galaxy and No More Hero's are good though and there are others I bet but I have yet to discover them.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:

You're both high for A.) thinking that scores have anything to do with how good a system is. and B.) for thinking that scores aren't believable. As if it's a God or something. Although, you could disagree with them, but that's another story. Oh yeah and C.) for thinking that your opinions matter so much as to be able to deem a system "good" or "bad".
Oh look, an innocent bystander. NOT!!!

I like scoring because it's interesting to rate things and to throw your opinions out there is the other half of the fun. Also I have been disappointed with some of the Wii games and I feel like talking about it, sometimes people put up a good defence and I can actually learn something from it. But not from people like you!

Because you are God and can judge us through reading our reply's, obviously you don't have anything interesting to say and calling people high solves every single problem you have with others.

Do you like Wii games or not? Simple bloody question.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
quickpaw said:
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:

I have no problem with him disliking Nintendo, what annoys me is the fact that every single chance he gets he insults Nintendo while complimenting the other two consoles. It happens consistently throughout his videos.
I'm quite sure he only does in in videos related to Nintendo in some way.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
I was going to take Yahtzee's advice and just watch the cinematics on youtube, but unfortunately they only have the opening sequence.

Ah well, so much for that then.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I liked this review. Yahtzee seemed to really understand the point of House of the Dead: Overkill, although, I'm not sure if I want to play another rail shooter. I dunno, maybe I'll blow the dust off of the wii and give this a quick rent.

As a side note, as a person who's had the wii for 3 years now and hasn't played it seriously since 2007/early 2008, I do like that Yahtzee's not afraid to say what he thinks about Nintendo Wii, because I find a ring of truth to what he says, especially since I still check into the internet every once in a while to see if anything good's being released, only to find nothing, everytime.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Nazulu said:
runtheplacered said:
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:

Oh look, an innocent bystander. NOT!!!

I like scoring because it's interesting to rate things and to throw your opinions out there is the other half of the fun. Also I have been disappointed with some of the Wii games and I feel like talking about it, sometimes people put up a good defence and I can actually learn something from it. But not from people like you!

Because you are God and can judge us through reading our reply's, obviously you don't have anything interesting to say and calling people high solves every single problem you have with others.

Do you like Wii games or not? Simple bloody question.
I don't think you're replying to the right person. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking the Wii. I couldn't care less about it, if you really must know. A bunch of "non-gamers" that I know have one, and I can at least somewhat talk about gaming with them now. That's neat-o. Otherwise, it's had very little impact on my life. I can take it or leave it.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Sah_Kuh said:
To the critics, killzone 2 is a GoW clone. Its one of those big, who gives a f---, I haven't even heard of Killzone until now.
Eh... Killzone was a title on the playstation2, a big title for that matter. It was advertised as the "halo killer" although it wasn't by a long shot. Regardless, the killzone long predates gears.

Killzone 2 is not a gears clone... that's a relatively ignorant comment to make. For one thing, its a first person shooter, not a third person shooter. People see a similar color pallet and start yelling clone. The two games are completely different by way of story, art direction, and gameplay.

As for crysis looking better than killzone, that's really a matter of opinion. Crysis looks more lush, killzone is dark and industrial. The graphics of both games are great, and really you'd be splitting hairs to say one looks better than the other. They're both extremely graphically intensive games. We're reaching a point in which video game graphics are coming to a peak, and soon won't be able to look much "better" as far as realism goes. Instead we're going to judge graphics by way of art direction.

Some of killzone's motion cap is horrificly realistic as well. You can actually see the effect or each individual bullet's impact as they enter into your target's body. It's both disturbing and amazingly satisfying to watch.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Techni said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
What does that link show?
Wii has far less good games, and far more crappy ones than other consoles. I've used metacritic as proof of that in the past. Seriously, add the colors up. That link does not paint Wii in a positive light at all.
Got it. To be honest though Nintendo consoles are usually the harbingers for crappy games no one wants/has even heard of. At least nowadays. I'm talkin' bout you, DS.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
runtheplacered said:
I don't think you're replying to the right person. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking the Wii. I couldn't care less about it, if you really must know. A bunch of "non-gamers" that I know have one, and I can at least somewhat talk about gaming with them now. That's neat-o. Otherwise, it's had very little impact on my life. I can take it or leave it.
Oh yeah, because "Do you like Wii games?" is the only thing I said! And now you are also saying you were talking about games, can you read what you last wrote 1000 times and tell me what game you were talking about besides having a go at me and the other guy?

If you don't understand why I asked you that question it's because something that simple can give you your own opinion and begin a debate, there is no-way you are going to like (dislike)every game on every console, we talk about stuff we like, flaws, design, gameplay, etc.
It's kind of what we do at the escapist, if we all agreed with eachother it would be bloody boring here!

I guess I expect too much from people most of the time, sorry for trying to give you a clue!

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
well, that's a million more sales for OVERKILL then - and a million less sales for KillZone2

fun always trumps the Corporate War Machine [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2009/03/alex-jones-obama-deception-available.html].

:)

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
this weeks review was really REALLY dumb. He barelly spoke about the game itself, most of the time it was just pointles metaphors.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Treblaine said:
I have played the demo and for the record that is EXACTLY the same as the final game only limited in length. Don't tell me I have no right to an opinion until I have played the whole game, that is the ENTIRE POINT of releasing a demo, to let you know what the game is like and the fundamental mechanics suck balls! Don't tell what my own personal preferences are, I've fiddled with the control settings and everything, they are utter ass. I'm talking the single weapon limit and even the weapons and enemies, sources have confirmed they are just as bland all the way through the game. I mean COD:WAW has more exciting weapons.

Just read EDGE Magazine's review of KZ2, that sums it up best.

Did you even look at the video in the link I gave you? You may be in denial but I and 99% of other people - who can tell their arse from their elbow - can tell which looks better.

Also, I don't know about you but a 7.1 audio surround system requires a large room, a speaker set over £10,000 and either deaf neighbours or very very good soundproofing. The only people who I know who have 7.1 audio systems are utter berks who have more money than sense. In the process you also need a massive HDTV ($$$) as you have to sit quite far back for 7.1 to work. and ANY PC game offers 7.1 or better surround sound support with a standard sound card.
Ha. CoD:WaW is utter wank, and every gun feels lifeless. Also, the gfx of K2 are good, they are not subjective. The Edge review is awful - the critic praises K2 for being realisitic, yet wants an unrealisitc amount of character development. Because that's not a retarded idea...
Ah right I see your the jealous type then. "Utter berks".
Try the word "rich". And for 10,000 your going to get a great sound system, most likely a Transmission Line System, so no volume issues.
As for a big HDTV, try a 60" HDTV. But really, it's not needed.
PC games aren't encoded in 7.1, so your just putting sound over seven speakers, not getting true 7.1 surround sound.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Ha. CoD:WaW is utter wank, and every gun feels lifeless. Also, the gfx of K2 are good, they are not subjective. The Edge review is awful - the critic praises K2 for being realisitic, yet wants an unrealisitc amount of character development. Because that's not a retarded idea...
Ah right I see your the jealous type then. "Utter berks".
Try the word "rich". And for 10,000 your going to get a great sound system, most likely a Transmission Line System, so no volume issues.
As for a big HDTV, try a 60" HDTV. But really, it's not needed.
PC games aren't encoded in 7.1, so your just putting sound over seven speakers, not getting true 7.1 surround sound.
Right so we are in agreement, both COD:WAW and Killzone 2 have utterly lifeless weapons, but at least in WAW you can mix and match 2 weapons at once. Remember Black for PS2 and XBox, that had some meaty weapons, Killzone 2 feels like playing a game of airsoft. And I didn't need a 7.1 surround sound system that costs as much as a brand new family car to appreciate the great sound in Black.

I said you would have to have "more money than sense" mainly that you had no sense, it is such a ridiculous squandering of money on such a system considering KZ2 does not even encourage you get get stuck into the action but to hang back like a ***** and snipe at explosive barrels.

I mean it is insulting the gamer's intelligence that these crack space-nazis would set up a machine gun or sniper RIGHT NEXT to a giant pile of red explosive barrels. That gameplay element got old way back with Time Crisis, at least a game like Half Life 2 forces you to be creative, you have to throw barrel AT the enemy. This game ends up playing almost like an on-the-rails shooter. Actually, you can make lots of comparisons with Half Life 2 and KZ2 fares very badly in gameplay comparison.

Flanking the enemy is not rewarding as the AI is so blatantly scripted I played through the demo 5 times and try as I might, there is only one way to play it! Virtually no deviation, almost only one way to attack down to the metre.

This game is the epitome of mediocre, mutton dressed up a lamb, a sub-standard and derivative game jazzed up by a 4 year long marketing blitz into some "Crysis beater" for people who have not even SEEN Crysis!

Rant over... for now.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
JonnWood said:
LOL i loved the Killzone 2 mini Review
even though i myself am a fan of the game

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
lasherman said:
Killzone 2 changed to be more like Gears after its success. Play the original (if you can stand it), it doesn't have much in common with Gears.

MrTrivia

Jun 11, 2008
If you need to review a "K" game, try Katamari Damacy for the PS2 or A Kingdom for Keflings on XBox Live Arcade.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
rated pg said:
lasherman said:
Killzone 2 changed to be more like Gears after its success. Play the original (if you can stand it), it doesn't have much in common with Gears.
The original was (supposedly) ripping off Halo instead, although it turned into more of a squad-based shooter than anything close to a Halo killer. Which is interesting, as I heard that it wasn't really horribly bad, just fairly broken and occasionally irritating.

Treblaine said:
Actually, you can make lots of comparisons with Half Life 2 and KZ2 fares very badly in gameplay comparison.
This would probably work for most every shooter made since Half-Life 2, as very few ever deviate from the general formula. Hell, hardly any have, with almost all trying to be just like Halo, ever since that rancid piece of road apples came out >.> Now then, excuse me while I continue my sleep deprivation (bloody morning appointments =.=).

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Treblaine said:
Right so we are in agreement, both COD:WAW and Killzone 2 have utterly lifeless weapons, but at least in WAW you can mix and match 2 weapons at once. Remember Black for PS2 and XBox, that had some meaty weapons, Killzone 2 feels like playing a game of airsoft. And I didn't need a 7.1 surround sound system that costs as much as a brand new family car to appreciate the great sound in Black.
No, CoD:WaW has lifeless guns. Killzone 2 has been praised for it's guns. They have a good/realistic amount of recoil, far more than in most games, and sound great. Are you playing the same game? Black was just loud. If I want that, I'll just crank up the volume - 'problem' sorted.

I said you would have to have "more money than sense" mainly that you had no sense, it is such a ridiculous squandering of money on such a system considering KZ2 does not even encourage you get get stuck into the action but to hang back like a ***** and snipe at explosive barrels.
Try playing more than the demo. Your idea that the whole games has explosive barrels everywhere is bull. Simple as that.
Plus if you have the a big house, fast car and money lying around, why not get a decent sound system? A few thousand pounds is harldy anything considering how much you could spend on a sound system.

I mean it is insulting the gamer's intelligence that these crack space-nazis would set up a machine gun or sniper RIGHT NEXT to a giant pile of red explosive barrels. That gameplay element got old way back with Time Crisis, at least a game like Half Life 2 forces you to be creative, you have to throw barrel AT the enemy. This game ends up playing almost like an on-the-rails shooter. Actually, you can make lots of comparisons with Half Life 2 and KZ2 fares very badly in gameplay comparison.
Again, play more then the demo. And HLF2 was a run & gun game, Killzone 2 has a cover system. Try running and gunning, see what happens.

Flanking the enemy is not rewarding as the AI is so blatantly scripted I played through the demo 5 times and try as I might, there is only one way to play it! Virtually no deviation, almost only one way to attack down to the metre.
The AI is exceptionally good, especially on the harder difficulties. Oh wait, you haven't played anything other than the demo...

This game is the epitome of mediocre, mutton dressed up a lamb, a sub-standard and derivative game jazzed up by a 4 year long marketing blitz into some "Crysis beater" for people who have not even SEEN Crysis!
No, your basing an entire game, on the very breif demo. You haven't even tried the superb multiplayer. And having played crysis on ultra high, it still doesn't help the fact that a lot of the textures are wank.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This was probably the best of the last six weeks. That "Xbox is the sexy heroine with big tits who screams: 'Nintendo, nooo!'" joke is just hilarious. And if Yahtzee wants to review a game which begins with K, how about a Killer7 retrospective?

And holy crap, I went through 16 pages of Gametrailers' reviews and just a single "K" game!

dblosmith

Mar 8, 2009
I'm a huge HOTD fan, and maybe it's just my copy but mine was buggy as hell. The second player had no bullet sounds when you fired and the game freezes randomly. Twice on the first level, once on the second level to point where I had to unplug the Wii just to restart it because nothing else worked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

mPinkerton

Jan 7, 2009
I'm a bit confused... Wasn't this a review of HotD vs Killzone 2? What happened to the review section of KZ2? I agree that Yahtzee is a Wii hater but I'm also wondering how much he likes the PS3?

First review I was a little disappointed in. I guess he's going to slip from his pedestal every once in a while.

I look forward to a proper review/bashing/whatever for Killzone 2.
(BTW - I'm not a PS3 fanboy. Have all 3 and play/enjoy both the X360 and PS3 about the same. The Wii, let's be honest, it kinda sucks.)