Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I don't think Yahtzee hates the Wii as much as he hates its fan base and the missed opportunity it represents. Here is a platform that broke away from the two hands on a brick controler format, and all they are doing with it is making casual games about shaking the controller as vigorously as the player can.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
So the main complaint is that it's too easy?

Anyway, Rule 37: There is no "overkill", there is only "open fire" and "I have to reload".
I guess reloading wasn't part of the game once automatic weapons become available...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
quickpaw said:
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.
Nintendo haven't made a good console since the Nintendo 64.
Nice. Instead of attempting to counter my statement or actually argue with me you come out with your pathetic snide little comment. You're clearly a fine member of the escapist.
What do you expect? In the Brawl and Mailbag comments threads, Yahtzee's fanbase outnumbered Nintendo's fanbase by about 3 to 1, and they were still complaining of persecution from some "massive army" of Nintendo fanboys.

I am thoroughly convinced, by now, that the people who hate the Wii spend much more time talking about it than the people who love it.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
Yahtzee needs games starting with I,K,Q and V....yes I went through the entire list...
also he has like 15 games starting with the letter S
and do games starting with "the" count as T's or as the letter the second word starts with???
either way he still needs I K Q and V
good job counting all the letters he's missed i was going to do that but you did my work for me.

very funny stuff man, i watched the review 3 times to fully appreciate it and for a minute i thought he was going to have 2 reviews in one sitting, but anyway i hope he does attack Killzone 2 just so i can see all the fanboys come running to the defense of their beloved game.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:
nathan-dts said:
quickpaw said:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.
Nice. Instead of attempting to counter my statement or actually argue with me you come out with your pathetic snide little comment. You're clearly a fine member of the escapist.
What do you expect? In the Brawl and Mailbag comments threads, Yahtzee's fanbase outnumbered Nintendo's fanbase by about 3 to 1, and they were still complaining of persecution from some "massive army" of Nintendo fanboys.

I am thoroughly convinced, by now, that the people who hate the Wii spend much more time talking about it than the people who love it.
That goes for anything. Business operates on the principle that if someone likes something, they will tell one other person about it, but if they don't like something they will tell 3 people. Don't know how they got that statistic, but they tend to operate with that in mind.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
As a long standing Nintendo fan since the little NES, (well not quite, I first was introduced through the super nintendo, and by the time I got to the nintendo 64, thought it'd be cool to see the ultra early games) I loved the first part of the review. Oh good grief it's true!
I long for the days of the N64... When nintendo had good polygons such as duke Nukem zero hour and Turok 2. And those games, though glorifying violence and objectivising women, were never seen in the world wide media, or the twisted, clammy hands of Mothers-against-raising-children, all screaming for the blood of the developers for putting a big sharp object in it.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
DarkSaber said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:

That goes for anything. Business operates on the principle that if someone likes something, they will tell one other person about it, but if they don't like something they will tell 3 people. Don't know how they got that statistic, but they tend to operate with that in mind.
Well, this is the internet. Hating everything makes you cool and edgy, liking anything makes you a fanboy.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
It's true. But half of that is because the Nintendo fans don't actually have anything to talk about until the second quater of this year when some actual decent looking games will appear astonishingly on the platform...

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
The Wii would like to have a word with you. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/
Clearly shows the lack of quality from the Wii. Just a quick glance shows that the Wii only has 43 titles at 80+ score, whereas XBOX360 has a whopping 134. Also the Playstation 3 which is at times criticized for not having many good titles still manages 94 games at or above a score of 80.

Thanks for these stats, now go back to ruling your retardland King Wii :)

(As a side note I own a Wii and quite enjoy it, that doesn't make it any less the king of retardland who's raking in the cash from switching from 'standard' games to casual mass market endeavors)

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
Maybe its just me, but the reviews have gotten less and less funny and when I have to read the blurbs at the end of his reviews to get a chuckle then you know your time is almost up but maybe that's just me

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Sylocat said:
DarkSaber said:
Sylocat said:
quickpaw said:

Well, this is the internet. Hating everything makes you cool and edgy, liking anything makes you a fanboy.
And posting flames and personal attacks to provoke a reaction makes you a troll. Funny you forgot that.

Tayrtahn

Feb 24, 2008
Typing of the Dead is a fantastic game. I remember wanting it so badly when it came out for Dreamcast, but not being willing to buy a special (and rare) Dreamcast keyboard for it.

Thankfully there was a PC port, which wound up on Gametap. I fire it up every once in a while to enjoy the entire premise. As if the concept of typing to kill zombies wasn't stupid enough, it features some of the worst voice acting ever (to the point where you have to question whether they were trying to be bad) and some of the zombies attack you with maracas and those squishy plastic hammers. Sheer brilliance.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
cutekittenkyti said:
Yahtzee needs games starting with I,K,Q and V....yes I went through the entire list...
also he has like 15 games starting with the letter S
and do games starting with "the" count as T's or as the letter the second word starts with???
either way he still needs I K Q and V
HEY YAHTZEE!! Maybe you should see if there's any Kirby games out there for you to review! I'm sure a few of them start with his name, which starts with a K!!

And maybe your next retro game review should be of Quake! :D

Edit: Oh yes, and good review. Love reading all the little dialog thrown in. :)

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
I pretty much watch cutscenes or sometimes people playing the actual games just to save time and money. VG companies should probably sell 'videos' of nothing but cutscenes from each game they make, so people like me could enjoy without having to play through (yea I know it's not as fun and not all games have excellent storylines, but I'd love too see a lot of rpgs' cutscenes).