Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ok here's the thing about his "Killzone2 = Gears of War" line.

A while back on here a certain user, who will remain nameless, tried to convince a lot of people the Combine from Half-Life 2 were actually a rip-off of the Helghast from Killzone 1. His logic? Killzone 1 came out a month before Half-Life 2.

Now what the nameless user carelessly forgot is that HL2 had been in development since 1999 so really, if anybody was ripping off anybody else (which I doubt they were), it was the KZ1 dev. team.

That brings us to now. When I see KZ2 I think 2 different games: CoD4 and Gears 2. And as to the Germans part: Look at the style of helmets and the gas masks. Then note that they look an awful lot like WH40k's Steel Legion (who are based off The German Military) Look at the way the obviously 2-dimensional Helghan leaders conduct themselves, and realize that there's kinda some Nazi-ish undertones, most likely not subtle.

From a first-look standpoint he has a very good point, granted maybe there's some subtleties and some amazing storytelling but I really doubt it given what a resounding thud the story of the first one made.

Also I don't really have much of a comment about the Wii hate here, since I really don't care at this point. I know what I like and I'm not going to begrudge people too much for not sharing my interests and still finding the few games that I enjoy on the Wii. Really don't see why we have to compare the size of game libraries in a time when the economy is sorta in the shitter (and as a college student I can't afford much anyway).

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
AceDiamond said:
Ok here's the thing about his "Killzone2 = Gears of War" line.

A while back on here a certain user, who will remain nameless, tried to convince a lot of people the Combine from Half-Life 2 were actually a rip-off of the Helghast from Killzone 1. His logic? Killzone 1 came out a month before Half-Life 2.

Now what the nameless user carelessly forgot is that HL2 had been in development since 1999 so really, if anybody was ripping off anybody else (which I doubt they were), it was the KZ1 dev. team.

That brings us to now. When I see KZ2 I think 2 different games: CoD4 and Gears 2. And as to the Germans part: Look at the style of helmets and the gas masks. Then note that they look an awful lot like WH40k's Steel Legion (who are based off The German Military) Look at the way the obviously 2-dimensional Helghan leaders conduct themselves, and realize that there's kinda some Nazi-ish undertones, most likely not subtle.

From a first-look standpoint he has a very good point, granted maybe there's some subtleties and some amazing storytelling but I really doubt it given what a resounding thud the story of the first one made.

Also I don't really have much of a comment about the Wii hate here, since I really don't care at this point. I know what I like and I'm not going to begrudge people too much for not sharing my interests and still finding the few games that I enjoy on the Wii. Really don't see why we have to compare the size of game libraries in a time when the economy is sorta in the shitter (and as a college student I can't afford much anyway).
He brings up the similarity to WH40k in an update on http://www.fullyramblomatic.com

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
DarkSaber said:
willard3 said:
lasherman said:
I hate when yahtzee suggests Killzone is ripping of Gears of War (Gears of World War Two?). Killzone 1 came out about 2 years before gears of war 1. if anything, gears is ripping off Killzone
I was thinking that too.

It seems Yahtzee is getting a bit hypocritical...he wants games to be wacky over-the-top bundles of pure fun that don't take themselves seriously, but yet bashes on the Wii for providing such things. (not that the vast amounts of shovelware are GOOD, but it has the most that could fall into his category)

When he plays a PS3 or 360 game, he inevitably bashes it for taking itself too seriously and not including automatic rocket launchers, wacky hairstyles and heroin-pissing T-rexes. Then he turns around and bashes the Wii for not being "hardcore" enough. Make up your mind.

Note: I am not a Nintendo fanboy by any means; I own a 360 and not a Wii.
He said he was very much aware he is a hypocrite a few times. He doesn't care.
I've also heard that before, or I've watched too much ZP that I can totally picture him saying that. Either way, well played.

I still love to watch ZP because it's usually hilarious (as this one also was), but the willful ignorance and outright assholeishness he's displaying can get a little annoying at times. In this one specifically, he reminds me of my older brother, who insists that Mario 3 is and will always be the greatest game of all time (I wish I was exaggerating), and feels the need to criticize miniscule things of games I play. (Keep in mind he's 24.)

chase211

Sep 22, 2008
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
Nintendo haven't made a good console since the Nintendo 64.
The Wii would like to have a word with you. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/
Unfortunately it would be a very one sided conversation seeing as the Wii hasn't yet learned big boy talk as is painfully relevant by the top games there...none of which contain even the appearance of difficulty.

fco

Sep 21, 2007
Being a Nintendo fan, I didn't see this as a rant. It's a fact that Nintendo's focus with the Wii has been to appeal the whole family, and Yahtzee himself said he was Ok with this strategy. So if "not hardcore enough" is an insult for you, then yeah, that was a rant, but it was true nonetheless.

WillPG1212

Mar 17, 2008
i dnt get it, why no R2 or KZ2 reviews? (something about shooters on ps3 ??)

not that these arent funny,,, but House of the dead and spiderman...
?

oh well, wont stop me from watching, and laughin my ass off each week.

Hammith

Dec 26, 2008
Greatly enjoyed the stab at Killzone 2. I'm so tired of all these games that happen in the 'future' and then have one gun that seems like it'd be from the future. Why isn't there a game yet where you start with a lightning gun, which is the least awesome gun?

Bah! Bah I say! Less realism, more fun!

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
willard3 said:
DarkSaber said:
willard3 said:
lasherman said:
I hate when yahtzee suggests Killzone is ripping of Gears of War (Gears of World War Two?). Killzone 1 came out about 2 years before gears of war 1. if anything, gears is ripping off Killzone
I was thinking that too.

It seems Yahtzee is getting a bit hypocritical...he wants games to be wacky over-the-top bundles of pure fun that don't take themselves seriously, but yet bashes on the Wii for providing such things. (not that the vast amounts of shovelware are GOOD, but it has the most that could fall into his category)

When he plays a PS3 or 360 game, he inevitably bashes it for taking itself too seriously and not including automatic rocket launchers, wacky hairstyles and heroin-pissing T-rexes. Then he turns around and bashes the Wii for not being "hardcore" enough. Make up your mind.

Note: I am not a Nintendo fanboy by any means; I own a 360 and not a Wii.
He said he was very much aware he is a hypocrite a few times. He doesn't care.
I've also heard that before, or I've watched too much ZP that I can totally picture him saying that. Either way, well played.

I still love to watch ZP because it's usually hilarious (as this one also was), but the willful ignorance and outright assholeishness he's displaying can get a little annoying at times. In this one specifically, he reminds me of my older brother, who insists that Mario 3 is and will always be the greatest game of all time (I wish I was exaggerating), and feels the need to criticize miniscule things of games I play. (Keep in mind he's 24.)
Well, I'm 25 and your brother might well be right, Mario 3 rocks!

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
I bought Typing of the Dead, too! It's on the shelf right next to my computer. Fun game.

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
i do like killzone 2 but i do like it better when yahtzee slags off your favourite games you sit back and think hell thats true hahahahaha

now lets kills some space natzis... yay Gears of world war 2

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
"WE BAKED YOU A TYRE CAKE!"

awesome line even though I thought the video was review-heavy and lacked as much comedy as I would have liked

By the way anyone know how to get a hold of "The Typing of the Dead"?

TheMonkeySlayer

Mar 7, 2009
WillPG1212 said:
i dnt get it, why no R2 or KZ2 reviews? (something about shooters on ps3 ??)
Or shooters in general.
Guess he wants to keep it at a minimum, considering how many there are on the market.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
As for Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, basically I'm just so fucking bored of shit like this. The improbably Warhammer 40k-esque power armour. The automatic healing. The overcompensating macho beefcakes with voices like they've had their lips clamped around exhaust pipes their whole lives. The schizophrenic design-by-committee flitting between whiny drama and goofy wisecracks. The obligatory female support character with the no-nonsense attitude and permanently cocked hips. The monstrous, dehumanised, unequivocally evil baddies. The inevitable betrayal from the jaded authority figure. I've gone through the same banal motions so many times it's increasingly hard to talk about them in any meaningful or interesting way.
This is what he had to say about KZ2 and R2 on his website.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
A great review Yahtzee, always look forward to them. I share the same thoughts about the Wii. Its fine for a bit of fun, but the other two consoles are better for the more serious games.

cj_iwakura

Mar 2, 2009
Rodger said:
Feel free to call me stupid but...

I always thought that House of the Dead typing game was some kind of educational game or something. Or maybe it is. I dunno. I care about as much about zombie games as Yahtzee cares about JRPG's. Maybe less if thats actually possible.
It's House of the Dead 2 with a keyboard.

It's also extremely difficult, since it scales the challenge based on how fast you type.

95 WPM here, and it had me typing out medical journals while fighting the Magician at the end.