Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

grimoire2008

Mar 12, 2009
Yahtzee your an idiot. Your ignorance toward any game you haven't played is appalling... At least read about the game first if you are going to mention it in a video and pretend you know what you are saying.

Every time you mention 'Killzone 2', you comment as if it is copying 'Gears of War'. Well let me set you straight, 'Killzone' was introduced in 2004 on the PS2, 'Gears of War' came a whole two years later for X360. So now that I set you straight, are you going to still call it 'Gears of World War 2'? How about you call GoW 'Killzone-Look-Alike' since Killzone was the first game and since you seem to think they are practically the same game.

So why don't you stick your tail between your legs and admit you don't have a damn clue what your talking about. Call me a fan boy if you want, but at least I can get my facts straight.

Sah_Kuh

Feb 21, 2009
Not as funny as last time, but if there's one thing I don't want, its for it to be too funny. Then the neighbors complain.

Hey, everyone is delegated to a certain amount of mistakes. Even Yahtzee. So what if Killzone came out before? To the critics, killzone 2 is a GoW clone. Its one of those big, who gives a f---, I haven't even heard of Killzone until now.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Treblaine said:
PrimeZero2 said:
He talks about ****ing his pants over Crysis and mentions nothing about KZ2's graphics? Whatever, great review anyways.
You have NOT played Crysis.

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/crysis_trailer_2.html

And coming off of even a game like Unreal Tournament 3, Killzone 2 has nothing going for it graphics wise.

Gameplay wise it is somewhere between Call of Duty 3 (not 4) and Quake 4, only with some ridiculous single weapon limit that fucking ruins the gameplay. I mean the 2-weapon-limit that Halo popularised was pushing it, only one primary weapon is utter arse-crack!
You haven't played Killzone 2 have you?
Having played all the games you mention, K2's gameplay is far better then CoD3 and Quake 4. Quake 4 was a run and gun badass game, try running and gunning in K2, tell me how far you get with that,,,
Look at the textures in Crysis as well. Playing them on ultra, and they are, well, a bit lacking.
Just read some reviews, it's clear how K2 offers a hell of a lot in the gfx area & gameplay, not to mention the divine 7.1 audio. But please, don't try to analyse a game you haven't played.
I have played the demo and for the record that is EXACTLY the same as the final game only limited in length. Don't tell me I have no right to an opinion until I have played the whole game, that is the ENTIRE POINT of releasing a demo, to let you know what the game is like and the fundamental mechanics suck balls! Don't tell what my own personal preferences are, I've fiddled with the control settings and everything, they are utter ass. I'm talking the single weapon limit and even the weapons and enemies, sources have confirmed they are just as bland all the way through the game. I mean COD:WAW has more exciting weapons.

Just read EDGE Magazine's review of KZ2, that sums it up best.

Did you even look at the video in the link I gave you? You may be in denial but I and 99% of other people - who can tell their arse from their elbow - can tell which looks better.

Also, I don't know about you but a 7.1 audio surround system requires a large room, a speaker set over £10,000 and either deaf neighbours or very very good soundproofing. The only people who I know who have 7.1 audio systems are utter berks who have more money than sense. In the process you also need a massive HDTV ($$$) as you have to sit quite far back for 7.1 to work. and ANY PC game offers 7.1 or better surround sound support with a standard sound card.

solidd

Aug 27, 2008
ehh on the topic of Wii, i have to say the nintendo 64 has so many more classic games that sometimes me and a few mates will play even when a wii is sitting right next to the dusty old 64. the original super smash bros. (with limited gimmicky shit), goldeneye and the original mario kart...oh god what a great game and many more, the problem with wii is that the games have to try too hard to fit into the consoles specifications and as a result sometimes they lose quality, not always though wii still has some good stuff to offer imo

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
I disagree with his view of it being a gears of world war two... even though I thought it was pretty funny... I've played both and I thought of them to be different. I loved them both so I'm not waving the fanboy stick I was hoping he'd say a little more about the game. oh well maybe he'll put out a reviw for it in borken up segments or something

as well I also liked the game cube (( RE 4..... and other resident evils)) the N64 was awsome with my all time favorite game Conkers bad fur day.I've never gotten tired of it. for me its a game for the ages...

nomad240

Aug 13, 2008
gamegod25 said:
Eipok Kruden said:
If you can't see the similarities between the Helghast and the Nazi Sturmtruppen, then you need to go back to school and take History again.
Or actually look at the game. Heck just look at the helghast symbol, it uses the same colors and style as the nazi swastika, only with a slightly different symbol.
Slightly? the four pointed swastika versus the Arrow headed Y? Yes the chosen colours are the same but thats where it stops. but what do you care? I'm just another fanboy pissing in the wind? There's a lot more difference than you think? but yes I do see the similarities.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
darrinwright said:
OK, OK, I get it, everyone! My bad for trying to defend Nintendo. THEY SUCK! There, happy? Can I please not get any more flak over supporting a console and games I happen to like? PLEASE FORGIVE ME for having my own opinions. Won't happen again.
I'm sorry, I feel like Nintendo betrayed us and I can't help myself and point out that this time they are flawed. The Wii does have some good games as well as the other consoles, unlike some of the Wii owners, mine hasn't been collecting dust because I have managed to find a good variety of games to still keep my main interest in Nintendo.

Keep defending Nintendo but for Gods sake try avoid talking about Mario Kart and Brawl, those are bad examples! Mario Galaxy and No More Hero's are good though and there are others I bet but I have yet to discover them.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
Nintendo haven't made a good console since the Nintendo 64.
The Wii would like to have a word with you. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/
OMFG, You actually believe these scores?

Funny that I agree Mario Galaxy is the best to come onto the Wii, but most of the others were shocking and I would cut that score in half and cut it again!
You're both high for A.) thinking that scores have anything to do with how good a system is. and B.) for thinking that scores aren't believable. As if it's a God or something. Although, you could disagree with them, but that's another story. Oh yeah and C.) for thinking that your opinions matter so much as to be able to deem a system "good" or "bad".
Oh look, an innocent bystander. NOT!!!

I like scoring because it's interesting to rate things and to throw your opinions out there is the other half of the fun. Also I have been disappointed with some of the Wii games and I feel like talking about it, sometimes people put up a good defence and I can actually learn something from it. But not from people like you!

Because you are God and can judge us through reading our reply's, obviously you don't have anything interesting to say and calling people high solves every single problem you have with others.

Do you like Wii games or not? Simple bloody question.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
quickpaw said:
Knight Templar said:
quickpaw said:
Well that was blatantly yet another anti Nintendo rant. God Yahtzee is such a fanboy.

Edit: Well I've clearly kicked a wasps nest here.
I think he just doesn't like Nintendo, if every time somebody doesn't like something we call them a fanboy then what does the word mean?
I have no problem with him disliking Nintendo, what annoys me is the fact that every single chance he gets he insults Nintendo while complimenting the other two consoles. It happens consistently throughout his videos.
I'm quite sure he only does in in videos related to Nintendo in some way.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
I was going to take Yahtzee's advice and just watch the cinematics on youtube, but unfortunately they only have the opening sequence.

Ah well, so much for that then.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I liked this review. Yahtzee seemed to really understand the point of House of the Dead: Overkill, although, I'm not sure if I want to play another rail shooter. I dunno, maybe I'll blow the dust off of the wii and give this a quick rent.

As a side note, as a person who's had the wii for 3 years now and hasn't played it seriously since 2007/early 2008, I do like that Yahtzee's not afraid to say what he thinks about Nintendo Wii, because I find a ring of truth to what he says, especially since I still check into the internet every once in a while to see if anything good's being released, only to find nothing, everytime.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Nazulu said:
runtheplacered said:
Nazulu said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
The Wii would like to have a word with you. http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/
OMFG, You actually believe these scores?

Funny that I agree Mario Galaxy is the best to come onto the Wii, but most of the others were shocking and I would cut that score in half and cut it again!
You're both high for A.) thinking that scores have anything to do with how good a system is. and B.) for thinking that scores aren't believable. As if it's a God or something. Although, you could disagree with them, but that's another story. Oh yeah and C.) for thinking that your opinions matter so much as to be able to deem a system "good" or "bad".
Oh look, an innocent bystander. NOT!!!

I like scoring because it's interesting to rate things and to throw your opinions out there is the other half of the fun. Also I have been disappointed with some of the Wii games and I feel like talking about it, sometimes people put up a good defence and I can actually learn something from it. But not from people like you!

Because you are God and can judge us through reading our reply's, obviously you don't have anything interesting to say and calling people high solves every single problem you have with others.

Do you like Wii games or not? Simple bloody question.
I don't think you're replying to the right person. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking the Wii. I couldn't care less about it, if you really must know. A bunch of "non-gamers" that I know have one, and I can at least somewhat talk about gaming with them now. That's neat-o. Otherwise, it's had very little impact on my life. I can take it or leave it.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Sah_Kuh said:
To the critics, killzone 2 is a GoW clone. Its one of those big, who gives a f---, I haven't even heard of Killzone until now.
Eh... Killzone was a title on the playstation2, a big title for that matter. It was advertised as the "halo killer" although it wasn't by a long shot. Regardless, the killzone long predates gears.

Killzone 2 is not a gears clone... that's a relatively ignorant comment to make. For one thing, its a first person shooter, not a third person shooter. People see a similar color pallet and start yelling clone. The two games are completely different by way of story, art direction, and gameplay.

As for crysis looking better than killzone, that's really a matter of opinion. Crysis looks more lush, killzone is dark and industrial. The graphics of both games are great, and really you'd be splitting hairs to say one looks better than the other. They're both extremely graphically intensive games. We're reaching a point in which video game graphics are coming to a peak, and soon won't be able to look much "better" as far as realism goes. Instead we're going to judge graphics by way of art direction.

Some of killzone's motion cap is horrificly realistic as well. You can actually see the effect or each individual bullet's impact as they enter into your target's body. It's both disturbing and amazingly satisfying to watch.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Techni said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
darrinwright said:
nathan-dts said:
What does that link show?
Wii has far less good games, and far more crappy ones than other consoles. I've used metacritic as proof of that in the past. Seriously, add the colors up. That link does not paint Wii in a positive light at all.
Got it. To be honest though Nintendo consoles are usually the harbingers for crappy games no one wants/has even heard of. At least nowadays. I'm talkin' bout you, DS.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
runtheplacered said:
I don't think you're replying to the right person. I didn't say anything about liking or disliking the Wii. I couldn't care less about it, if you really must know. A bunch of "non-gamers" that I know have one, and I can at least somewhat talk about gaming with them now. That's neat-o. Otherwise, it's had very little impact on my life. I can take it or leave it.
Oh yeah, because "Do you like Wii games?" is the only thing I said! And now you are also saying you were talking about games, can you read what you last wrote 1000 times and tell me what game you were talking about besides having a go at me and the other guy?

If you don't understand why I asked you that question it's because something that simple can give you your own opinion and begin a debate, there is no-way you are going to like (dislike)every game on every console, we talk about stuff we like, flaws, design, gameplay, etc.
It's kind of what we do at the escapist, if we all agreed with eachother it would be bloody boring here!

I guess I expect too much from people most of the time, sorry for trying to give you a clue!

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
well, that's a million more sales for OVERKILL then - and a million less sales for KillZone2

fun always trumps the Corporate War Machine [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2009/03/alex-jones-obama-deception-available.html].

:)

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
this weeks review was really REALLY dumb. He barelly spoke about the game itself, most of the time it was just pointles metaphors.