Zero Punctuation: House of the Dead: Overkill

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
Ha. CoD:WaW is utter wank, and every gun feels lifeless. Also, the gfx of K2 are good, they are not subjective. The Edge review is awful - the critic praises K2 for being realisitic, yet wants an unrealisitc amount of character development. Because that's not a retarded idea...
Ah right I see your the jealous type then. "Utter berks".
Try the word "rich". And for 10,000 your going to get a great sound system, most likely a Transmission Line System, so no volume issues.
As for a big HDTV, try a 60" HDTV. But really, it's not needed.
PC games aren't encoded in 7.1, so your just putting sound over seven speakers, not getting true 7.1 surround sound.
Right so we are in agreement, both COD:WAW and Killzone 2 have utterly lifeless weapons, but at least in WAW you can mix and match 2 weapons at once. Remember Black for PS2 and XBox, that had some meaty weapons, Killzone 2 feels like playing a game of airsoft. And I didn't need a 7.1 surround sound system that costs as much as a brand new family car to appreciate the great sound in Black.

I said you would have to have "more money than sense" mainly that you had no sense, it is such a ridiculous squandering of money on such a system considering KZ2 does not even encourage you get get stuck into the action but to hang back like a ***** and snipe at explosive barrels.

I mean it is insulting the gamer's intelligence that these crack space-nazis would set up a machine gun or sniper RIGHT NEXT to a giant pile of red explosive barrels. That gameplay element got old way back with Time Crisis, at least a game like Half Life 2 forces you to be creative, you have to throw barrel AT the enemy. This game ends up playing almost like an on-the-rails shooter. Actually, you can make lots of comparisons with Half Life 2 and KZ2 fares very badly in gameplay comparison.

Flanking the enemy is not rewarding as the AI is so blatantly scripted I played through the demo 5 times and try as I might, there is only one way to play it! Virtually no deviation, almost only one way to attack down to the metre.

This game is the epitome of mediocre, mutton dressed up a lamb, a sub-standard and derivative game jazzed up by a 4 year long marketing blitz into some "Crysis beater" for people who have not even SEEN Crysis!

Rant over... for now.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
JonnWood said:
I sense incoming Killzone 2 fanboy flames. Hit the deck!
LOL i loved the Killzone 2 mini Review
even though i myself am a fan of the game

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
lasherman said:
I hate when yahtzee suggests Killzone is ripping of Gears of War (Gears of World War Two?). Killzone 1 came out about 2 years before gears of war 1. if anything, gears is ripping off Killzone
Killzone 2 changed to be more like Gears after its success. Play the original (if you can stand it), it doesn't have much in common with Gears.

MrTrivia

Jun 11, 2008
If you need to review a "K" game, try Katamari Damacy for the PS2 or A Kingdom for Keflings on XBox Live Arcade.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
rated pg said:
lasherman said:
I hate when yahtzee suggests Killzone is ripping of Gears of War (Gears of World War Two?). Killzone 1 came out about 2 years before gears of war 1. if anything, gears is ripping off Killzone
Killzone 2 changed to be more like Gears after its success. Play the original (if you can stand it), it doesn't have much in common with Gears.
The original was (supposedly) ripping off Halo instead, although it turned into more of a squad-based shooter than anything close to a Halo killer. Which is interesting, as I heard that it wasn't really horribly bad, just fairly broken and occasionally irritating.

Treblaine said:
Actually, you can make lots of comparisons with Half Life 2 and KZ2 fares very badly in gameplay comparison.
This would probably work for most every shooter made since Half-Life 2, as very few ever deviate from the general formula. Hell, hardly any have, with almost all trying to be just like Halo, ever since that rancid piece of road apples came out >.> Now then, excuse me while I continue my sleep deprivation (bloody morning appointments =.=).

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This was probably the best of the last six weeks. That "Xbox is the sexy heroine with big tits who screams: 'Nintendo, nooo!'" joke is just hilarious. And if Yahtzee wants to review a game which begins with K, how about a Killer7 retrospective?

And holy crap, I went through 16 pages of Gametrailers' reviews and just a single "K" game!

dblosmith

Mar 8, 2009
I'm a huge HOTD fan, and maybe it's just my copy but mine was buggy as hell. The second player had no bullet sounds when you fired and the game freezes randomly. Twice on the first level, once on the second level to point where I had to unplug the Wii just to restart it because nothing else worked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

mPinkerton

Jan 7, 2009
I'm a bit confused... Wasn't this a review of HotD vs Killzone 2? What happened to the review section of KZ2? I agree that Yahtzee is a Wii hater but I'm also wondering how much he likes the PS3?

First review I was a little disappointed in. I guess he's going to slip from his pedestal every once in a while.

I look forward to a proper review/bashing/whatever for Killzone 2.
(BTW - I'm not a PS3 fanboy. Have all 3 and play/enjoy both the X360 and PS3 about the same. The Wii, let's be honest, it kinda sucks.)

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
oh god, the Imp Death Star made me have to stop and luagh myself to tears for a few minutes.
absolute genius

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mazty said:
No, your basing an entire game, on the very breif demo. You haven't even tried the superb multiplayer. And having played crysis on ultra high, it still doesn't help the fact that a lot of the textures are wank.
So you are saying I have to buy and play all the way through a game before I can have a valid opinion on it? Well excuse me if I'm not the only one who thinks that is bullshit. I am talking about the gameplay, the controls, I know that the explosive barrels are used all the way through the game!

I don't know what the hell is the matter with your computer (probably screwed up Crysis settings) but comparing Crysis and Killzone 2 textures is ridiculous as if there is anywhere that Killzone 2 is weak it is the textures that are as flat and grainy as you can find in any current gen game (excluding Wii).

Lets compare two games, both that use deferred shading and are first person shooters, I know, Unreal Tournament 3 against Killzone 2:

UT3 came out almost 18 months ago on all platforms but unlike KZ2, it was not preceded by a massive advertising blitz that readily mixed in pre-rendered shots, "bull-shots" and actual gameplay. So you see why I am not impressed by Killzone 2, nothing special about the graphics at all.

Now UT3, that is a hell of a multiplayer game and goes for cheap as hell on PC. The latest free updates really revitalise the game and has so much variability, not just a couple of jeeps but tripod behemoths and other weird vehicles that each is controlled in a unique way over gargantuan sized maps.

I fail to see what Killzone 2 offers other than COD4 lite, I mean mixing classes is nothing compared to perks and the KZ2 classes that are no where near as distinct and interesting as Team Fortress 2. I mean have you even played Team Fortress 2? That game will blow your mind.

It's interesting when you criticise a game like Quake 4 of being merely a "run and gun" game but the entire point of the KZ2 multiplayer is Run and gun, I mean they took away the cover function yet the controls are apparently just as soft and squidgy as the single player. You still run as slow as if you are weighed down by 100 pounds of equipment yet you have no body armour and only carry one weapon at a time. And the close combat, well I must say it looks so much more fun to ineffectively try to butt whip your opponent (videos seem to show it takes 4 or 5 hits) compared to sawing them in half with a chainsaw (GeOW) or skewering them on a bayonet (COD:WAW). BTW, that was sarcasm.

I'd rather play Quake 3 than KZ2 multiplayer as at least Quake 3 knows it is a run'n gun shooter, KZ2 can't decide if it wants to be realistic tactical shooter a la Rainbow Six/battlefield or a frenetic and unrealistic shooter, so it ends up in the middle doing a poor job of both.

S.T.U.D.

Jul 17, 2008
Crash486 said:
it doesn't really matter that the one gaming critic who hates every game save for a select few released 10 years ago decided he didn't like it. In fact, it's not even a surprise, attempting to defend it would be like trying to defend your asian girlfriend against your racist grandfather who served in nam.
Greatest analogy ever. I'll sig it sometime, somewhere.

Dorchucks

Dec 17, 2008
Was kinda looking forward to the Killzone 2 review shame thers not gona b one, but the game is awsome !!!