Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Looks like the ban hammer will be swinging again today.

A joyous review as ever, even if I couldnt care less about the game itself.
Also: LOL at the googly eye arse thing.

PLabrozzi

Oct 22, 2008
couldn't agree more. never have understood the huge draw this had. and wow did that dancing part freak me out.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
I liked the part with the dancing. Although I disagree with his thoughts on user made content.

UncleScar

Hakuna Matata Bitches!
Oct 26, 2008
I really can't "get" the fuss over LBP...

Beware the eyes!

They're watching you!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
And now the big question shall arise!

Was that Mr Croshaw shaking his money maker?

DanTheBigMan

Oct 18, 2008
My, my...
Seems someone's in a bit of a rut this time around, eh?
Perhaps that's because he actually liked the game, but hated himself for it.
I haven't picked it up, nor have I picked up a PS3, being that I'm still in the demographic of poor bastard, but I've always wondered how it was.
And yes, I agree, we need to kill googly eyed ass man.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
was wondering when LBP would get the shakedown, for some reason im having a strange urge to collect googly eyes...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Oh wow, wasn't expecting it to be this. I think he liked it, it's hard to tell.
Good use of Austin Powers music though, kudos.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
This has to be my favorite review so far, the image of Sackboy looked like a deformed fat man.

jjpenguin

Dec 25, 2008
meh, didnt find it funny myself...valid points though, Yahtzee doesn't seem to get UGC, the point is that there WILL be an extortianite amount of sh*t, but saturated with brilliance

Mrmandude

Aug 29, 2008
hmm can't say i agree that evry person is a twat some people are accualy quite imagnitive but i don't care what he really says bout this cos i like the game

CMWaters

Sep 17, 2008
Yes, fire must be set to the googly eyed pants.

Interesting to hear the talking about User Made Content...something he did skip in his Super Smash Bros. Brawl review when he didn't mention the limited level creator there.

Though maybe it's only limited because I couldn't make a decent looking stage, and only used it so I could make a stage to easily get stickers in the game.

But yeah...I was tempted to, should I ever get a PS3, get this game. Now I'll have to rent it to see if it's a keeper or not. ...if I ever get a PS3, that is.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Oh no! Yathzee is going to slam Little Big Planet!

That's what I thought and with trepidation I pressed the play button.

Until I saw it and it ended with a very good view on modding tools. A big board to draw cocks on. Nice. Reminds me of these spore monsters: http://www.s0rethumbs.com/uploader/files/sporedrm2_0.gif

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
I've wanted to go buy this game for a while now to see what all the fuss was about, and the tv adverts made it kind of intriguing to me. Not sure I will get it for a while now though, seems too frustrating!

also, what is the big deal about 1st posts?

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Man, that'll teach me to watch ZP! on my lunchbreak at work. Damn you Yahtzee and your googly-eyed boxers!

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
Radu889 said:
Dear god... We need to find a way to kill those googly eyed pants.
Wait... won't that cause him to become pantsless?

and was I the only one that saw his comment about "throwing the content out into the river" was somewhat similar to his thoughts on what happened when he first put stuff on youtube?
"Putting out my review into the endless sea with everyone else" (something like that I can't remember exact quote)

is this a premonition about the second coming of yahtzee? through little big planet?

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
This follows YouTube as a great trailblazer for user created content through easy tools. Since everyone can use the tools, stupid noisy people with no imagination will go ahead uploading lots of crap nobody will actually give a toss about.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Another Great Review. I played this game and all I get is a mixed bag. While it's enjoyable to customize the levels, I am far too lazy to do such a thing.

With that in mind, is that Mr. Croshaw's buttocks with googly eyes? If that is, then congrats. Never again to bring that up again.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
"OH FUCK SORRY.I forgot.User made Content"

That had me locked on not going to get LBP

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This is the scariest ZP yet. I've never seen the appeal of playing other people's user created levels. Sure making one is fun, but I've never made anything good ever.

KayScaler

Jan 30, 2009
I loved the video (and chocolate).
And switching the video to the butt made me laugh too.

Nomz

Dec 10, 2008
I love the video, the googly eyes boxers really took me by surprise and I found it really differcult to stop laughing afterwards.

StarryXNights

Dec 5, 2008
Today's episode contained more bile than usual and didn't include such fast conversation. Personally I think Yahtzee has finally lost the plot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Hearthing

Aug 20, 2008
A good recipie for a review.

Bile
Fast speech
Forgetfulness
Stephen Fry
Male rear ends.

Needs more fast speech though. Oh, and more rear end.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Was beginning to think Yahtzee started being a massive hypocrit after commmenting on the poor repetetive nature of modern games while only reviewing games like Tomb Raider recently.

At least he gave this a try.

While I agree that a lot of stuff is useless that you find browsing through the content, I also found some real gems...potentially better than the story levels
(The Silent Hill level is awesome, bet he'd like that)

Fignutz

Jan 18, 2009
I agree that it can be hard to find the real gems in the community level, but its not nearly as bad as he would have you believe. Also the game does a very good job of know which planes your trying to reach so he may have been stretching the truth a bit there. A fair review as usual.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put googly eyes on........something....

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
heh, fear the power of the googly eyes! I don't have a PS3 so I can't really try this myself, but the user made content thing is also in SSBB. There is potential to make some pretty nice stuff, but most of the levels I download are crap. I don't think that's something you should ever rely on, but it can be a nice little addition.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
"I SAID EARHOLE!"

I was wondering if Yahtzee would be reviewing this, and I'm glad to see his commentary on user-made content in console titles. Considering that most of the target audience of LBP is somewhere in junior high, it's unsurprising that most of the user-made content is derivative, juvenile, poorly thought-out, or a combination of all of the above. I never felt like I was missing much, and even if Yahtzee's review had been entirely positive, I doubt he'd have changed my mind.

And those ass-eyes are going to haunt me. HAUNT me. I'll be wandering around the greater Philadelphia area and suddenly an arse with eyes will be in my face.

At least it's a decent arse.

Locust

Jan 30, 2009
Funny as always, I don't really understand the big fuss or hype over Little Big Planet, but I suppose like most of the casual, simple games it makes a snowball effect.

The googly eyed pants will keep me up all night though : (

Clairaudient

Aug 12, 2008
richasr said:
The video was posted at 12:01 (ish). It lasts about 5 minutes. Technically, if you actualy watched the video (and thus can effectively comment on it) you should only be posting around 12:05-12:06. Anyone posting about 'OMG AWSUM VIDDD' before that tiem clearly didn't watch it and is only here to get on their knees for some guy they've never met on the internet.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
StarryXNights said:
Today's episode contained more bile than usual and didn't include such fast conversation. Personally I think Yahtzee has finally lost the plot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
It's currently like... 40 something degrees (celcius) in most parts of australia.
If his air conditioner truely has broken as he said.... I pitty the poor man

quetzalcoatl5

Dec 25, 2008
I think his objection to lauding a game based on user generated content is akin to his objection to basing a game around multiplayer: it requires effort by people after release not only to generate a fun situation but also effort on his part to identify worthwhile additions. I liken it to my experience with custom maps from Warcraft 3, where there were very well written user made campaigns with completely functional gameplay tweeks (in some cases correcting issues well before a patch would come along) but it was really hard to tell what was worth it. And in some cases you have to make a few bad ones and have people actually play them just to get the framework down to go and make a good one. Essentially turning the gaming community into beta testers.

Beacon

Dec 21, 2008
I didn't find it too funny...

I was really disappointed with this game when I got it, though. I thought you could cure diseases by playing it..but it seems that LBP suffers from a bad case of the HIV...

Vampiric Puppet

Aug 6, 2008
How much review was ACTUALLY in there? 3 minutes? It was a long time before the name "LittleBigPlanet" was actually mentioned let alone reviewed.

Decidedly a 'Meh' review, if that, if you ask me. But no one did.

But for the record I actually liked LBP, it was fun and quirky and a nice change of pace from a lot of games. Don't get me wrong I don't play it for hours on end but it's something to relax to and casually enjoy, you wouldn't 'grind' it all night and work for days at a time to be the best or whatever like you would in most games. Besides some of the User made Content is actually really good, obviously there are some awful levels but also some really good ones. A lot of people have a creative bud, even if they don't know how to express it. I'm with the developers on that one.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I thought that this one was just ok. It has some funny parts, but it took him a minute and a half to even mention the game. Add to this the butt waggling and there wasn't much time for him to actually talk about the game.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
richasr said:
I've wanted to go buy this game for a while now to see what all the fuss was about, and the tv adverts made it kind of intriguing to me. Not sure I will get it for a while now though, seems too frustrating!

The first posters are often banned as they post before humanly possible to watch it and are usually nonsensical or pointless and earn a short ban. Its more of the moderators telling them STFU. It is now a staple in comments. First the banned posts, then the ones pointing out them and their predicament, then the actual comments.

AccoSpoot

Apr 23, 2008
The whole bit at the end, the ominous music whilst the camera zoomed in on the eyes made it all the more atmospheric when the "Unskippable" advert came on at the end talking about "Up the Ladder"

Great review again, I actually enjoyed LBP, even though, as you mentioned the user created content typically featured no more than a method of filling up your trophy cabinet, there were some gems among the turds, I can't remember its name (Azure Palace I think?) was a great User Created level with atmosphere coming out the sack.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Brokkr said:
I thought that this one was just ok. It has some funny parts, but it took him a minute and a half to even mention the game. Add to this the butt waggling and there wasn't much time for him to actually talk about the game.
Did you not listen to him saying he does not really have alot to say and thus REQUIRED the time eater? The boxers and opening are what are known as filler to take up unused time to fill a general required timeframe.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I was genuinely disappointed that the googly-eye arse-waggling ended, I wanted more.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Kiutu said:
Brokkr said:
Did you not listen to him saying he does not really have alot to say and thus REQUIRED the time eater? The boxers and opening are what are known as filler to take up unused time to fill a general required timeframe.
I understand that he needed to do it, it doesn't make it any better though when half the time is filled with largely unfunny bits.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
I liked LBP, but it does get old after a while; playing the same levels over and over isn't exactly the best, but playing with friends to slap around adds a lot of entertainment :)

I also agree with the bit about the narrator voice. It's so soothing and placid, almost as if Morgan Freeman was narrating your life.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Honestly the video was awesome. I almost tipped over from laughing when I saw Sackboy with the kill me sign over him. The eyes on the err... well you know... were a nice touch to the episode and I have to admit that Yahtzee's videos are evolving, he's not pointing out the bad things about games anymore, he actually mentions which parts are worth looking into.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Good review, just been playing LBP. Definatly a pick up and play game, but no massive lasting appeal to it. Some of the user made content is good, a lot of it however is generic trash. Good friendly game, just not a lot about it really.

Trikshot

Feb 4, 2009
The butt was just a little weird but the review was great and entertaining.
I really hate how they take off all the good mario levels as well as other levels made after various games.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
I too noticed that the words-per-minute average there was a good deal lower than usual. Yahtzee should move someplace where they have snow at this time of year like normal people.

Valid points are made all around however. I'd disagree with Yahtzee's view on user-made content, if it were not for the fact that the search engine for user-made levels is dismal, bordering on dire (or should that be the other way around?). Even if you know the precise name of the level you want to find and do a search for it... more often than not the first two pages will be filled up with worthless level fodder that sounds nothing like what you typed in - while the level you're actually looking for will be hiding away on the fifth page on a remote Indonesian island, sandwiched between a reinterpretation of Hamlet by a three-year-old and the theme tune to Tetris.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I don't really understand where the Yahtzee I grew to enjoy watching has gone. The reviews are still entertaining, but not quite in the same way they were a while back. Every platforming review has the same jokes. Every shooter review has the same jokes. The originality is completely gone. The reviews still show his disdain for the world of game design, but he is not as completely vicious about the poor aspects of the games he reviews. The positive points of a game used to seem so rare that they would blow his mind, but now he just shrugs them off with a little less enthusiasm. Paraphrasing of course would lead to comments such as, "Yeah I had a lot of fun personally traversing the original levels of Little Big Planet, but is that really what these viewers are interested in?" In short Yahtzee the answer would be yes. Look through some of your older reviews then compare them with the more recent. It seems as the fan base has grown you have resorted to pleasing them instead of providing an interesting review.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
sycotik said:
I deeply feared that we'd be watching the dancing googly-eyed butt for the last three minutes
That was the best part of...

Okay, okay, I'M KIDDING. Yeesh.

Agree on pretty much everything. I don't know what's the fuss about the game. Sackboy? Geez. That's creative. So basically, it's The Sims + Rayman in 2D/3D hybrid.

And I too hoped that it will be a Little Big Adventure sequel. Damn it.

You managed to freak me out with the last moments of this episode...

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
the eyes... the eyeesss... THE EYYYYEEEEESSS!!!!

Ahem!
Brilliant review, still have yet to play LBP for longer then a few drunken minutes round a friends house but i'm not letting anything sway my decision about buying it for myself.

I just love widdle sackboy.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
A bit less of an entertaining review than others, especially after the trio of cleaning up after the Attention Deficit Award. I enjoyed the opening to the review but it was more of a statement, rather than something directly tied to the game itself.

Of course, after Spore I wasn't expecting him to like any of these user-centric games or pour much effort into it, and for a game as bland as Little Big Planet what else can you say about it?

Beyond shaking your googly-eyed ass in a manner that I'm sure will make it pop into my head the next time I'm trying to focus and then make me scream.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Oh yes, forgot. Mad props to Yahtzee for mentioning the Little Big Adventure.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
Good God.

Frankly, though, about 10 seconds of gooly-eyed pant-waving pretty much summed up the whole experience, rendering the rest of the reveiew irrelevant...

'Still quite liked it though. -the review, not the "game". -Yes, quotation marks.
So there.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I thought it was a really good review. I think he liked it but didn't like what he had to go through to get to the parts of the game that were advertised so diligently. And those eyes, THOSE EYES!!

The truth is that user gen. content is a double bladed sword. If you give it to them, then yeah they'll make crap. But you can't cut out the crap because then you'e limiting their "creativity" and killing the game's aspects. So it leads to the senario when after you buy, and have beaten it, you don't play it again until some months or year(s) later when the only maps that'll be left are the gems that remained after time eroded all the shit surrounding it.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Yahtzee does touch on the good point that while the level creation engine is very robust and allows for *relatively* easy creation of levels, it's almost all for naught since the community is already full of user created levels and it's hard to wade through all of them to find a decent one, so odds are it'll be ultra hard for people to find YOURS. Also, MOST (not all) of the levels you're wading through aren't very good. Seriously, can we put a BAN on all stupid levels that are just you jumping on a moving cart while a song plays? I don't care if you can use the sound engine to make a rendition of "Welcome to the Jungle." A really GOOD idea would be that the original level developers of LBP release some new levels with some added information and tutorials so that you can get some guidance on making levels that aren't either A: Just short and bad, or B: Copies of maps from other games like Mario, Sonic, etc etc. This is to be expected when you have a simple content creation system. Sometimes it is almost good to have a hard system. Games like Quake and HL were modded up the ass, but since it wasn't easy and required a bit of programming know-how, you "typically" got better quality content since a major investment had to be made just to get it RUNNING, let alone being fun. I remember when Duke Nukem 3d came out and it came with a fully functioning level editor, and it made for rather easy level creation. As a result, MANY of the maps that were out there to download were horrible. I also used to play online and I don't think there were more than 10 total user created maps that would be played with on a consistent basis. I guess the goal is to find a nice balance between availability and complexity.

I suppose I'm going off topic here. Good review overall. While the platforming mechanics aren't perfect, I don't agree that it's as bad as Yahtzee described.

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
I enjoyed the game, but that's just me, I guess. It seems if you're a Yahtzee fan, then you agree with whatever comes out of his mouth, despite the fact you've never played the game.

Don't get me wrong, I've agreed with him a lot of times, this just isn't one of them, and I can't understand why people who've actually played this game couldn't just enjoy it.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
uh....oeeeewwwwwkay, what the hell was with the google eyed ass dance, i mean talk about creepy, yikes. Well aside from that, very good review i laughed at the parts where he strugled with the "good like......chocolate" part and the "oh fuck sorry i forgot user made content."

I say again, the ass dance....... it has scared me for life! Oh the horror!!!!!

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
That was... different. I knew the analogys joke would come eventualy, but the boxer shorts face thing was totally unexpected. And hilarious.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Hallow said:
I thought it was a really good review. I think he liked it but didn't like what he had to go through to get to the parts of the game that were advertised so diligently. And those eyes, THOSE EYES!!

The truth is that user gen. content is a double bladed sword. If you give it to them, then yeah they'll make crap. But you can't cut out the crap because then you'e limiting their "creativity" and killing the game's aspects. So it leads to the senario when after you buy, and have beaten it, you don't play it again until some months or year(s) later when the only maps that'll be left are the gems that remained after time eroded all the shit surrounding it.
Its sometimes worth waiding through the garbage. I have never played LBP, but NWN online is 99% user created stuff, and there is alot of garbage, but the gems Ive found have been very worth it. (Ofcourse, the different sections had varying garbage, with action having more, RP having less)
Also, I mean, just by being gamers we deal with this. Though we are given better ideas than just User created stuff in one game, every and any game could be crap, and we have to see what is and is not, and sometimes people praise crap and ignore the gold. (Halo 3 and Psychonaughts repsectively)

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Evilbunny said:
I liked the part with the dancing. Although I disagree with his thoughts on user made content.
Surely you jest, I would use the example of deviant art as an analogy. For every decent deviant artist there are hundreds if not thousands of totally shitty posters (I will not call them artists)

If you are mediocre and want a ton of positive comments you either do (a) some emo crap (b) some naked lady crap or (c) some popular cartoon fanart crap.

LBP falls into a similar dynamic, luckily though there are only fifty-three people on the planet who own a PS3 so it isn't as evident.

The game's a rental, once your through the game, the novelty of making / downloading UCC will only last about two weeks.

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Slow start, but lol'd hard and hearty for the rest of it. Exam results came out today and I definitely needed a laugh. Loved the Watchmen reference.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I wish I could comment on the review but all I heard were the words 'chocolate' and 'gingerbread garage'...then I started drooling and got distracted...

mikecoulter

Dec 27, 2008
I'd love to try Little Big Planet, but i'm a 360 owner so boo hiss boo.

Googley eye's gunna getcha' !

Roto13

Apr 23, 2008
Take a look at the PSN account "LittleXim" and, more importantly, its favourites. That's the Media Molecule account and it exists to highlight the best LBP levels that don't make it to the "cool levels" page. There are a lot of ingenious levels there. It's amazing what some people can do with the level creation tool. Someone made a filter that turns sackboy into a silhouette and everything else into a thin black outline. It's amazing.

Also check out the Media Molecule site for their weekly picks.

http://www.mediamolecule.com/2009/02/04/mm-picks-delayed-by-snow/

(That ass looked a bit too meaty to belong to Yahtzee, but I could be wrong.)

NAL

Jan 25, 2009
I love LittleBigPlanet to bits, I think it's awesome. Completely agree with the review's criticisms though, especially the awkwardness of the three-plane system. No other reviewer can ever have me looking forward to his bashing of my favourite games. Great job, Yahtzee!

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
mark_n_b said:
Evilbunny said:
Surely you jest, I would use the example of deviant art as an analogy. For every decent deviant artist there are hundreds if not thousands of totally shitty posters (I will not call them artists)

If you are mediocre and want a ton of positive comments you either do (a) some emo crap (b) some naked lady crap or (c) some popular cartoon fanart crap.

LBP falls into a similar dynamic, luckily though there are only fifty-three people on the planet who own a PS3 so it isn't as evident.

The game's a rental, once your through the game, the novelty of making / downloading UCC will only last about two weeks.
This is true, but if you look at such websites as YTMND, you'll see that there are some real geniuses out there and the creator of the site manages it so the average visitor to the site will see the good YTMNDs and the bad ones will likely be ignored. I think that's all LBP needs, a better way to put the good content in the front and let the bad content fade into obscurity.

BIGpanda

Jan 13, 2009
pretty funny review. I saw some clips of level designs abit after this ZP and yahtzee wasn't lying about the suckage in them. LBP still get my 50$ though.

qubit

Sep 26, 2008
Yahtzee, the recreations of SMB1 are just a caveat for the truly brilliant levels. Have you even had a chance to play Azure Palace yet?

But yeah, there's always gonna be 20 really bad levels or every one really good one. I think half the fun is laughing at the hilariously awful levels while trying to look for the good ones!

Anyway, good review, not as funny as usual but I liked your points about the controls. And yes, the level design totally makes up for that :D

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
Australia is having an unprecedented heat wave at the moment, and as a reviewer I know the horror of having to describe the paper thin and mediocre, so I got a good laugh out of feeling his pain.

Also, the first thing I said when I heard about LBP was "Is it a sequel to Little Big Adventure?" in an excited tone, so props for that.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Played LBP for the first time yesterday so this review was quite relevant for me. I did notice that the game seems to be very awkward when it comes to switching between planes but indeed the levels are fun. The problem with 2D games is that you can find lots of them for free on the internet and many of them are just as fun even if not quite as attractive. The good thing about LBP though is the creation because there is almost no limit to what you can do (short of adding an extra dimension) and although anything you make will most likely be shit, the ease and fun of creating it is unmatched.

Chrisos

May 21, 2008
jjpenguin said:
meh, didnt find it funny myself...valid points though, Yahtzee doesn't seem to get UGC, the point is that there WILL be an extortianite amount of sh*t, but saturated with brilliance
Surely you mean, "there WILL be an exorbitant amount of sh*t, but flecked occasionally with brilliance".

Sorry for calling you Shirly. :)

In other news, LBP now gets put to the back of the queue of potential purchases as a result to me never getting on the PS3 due to the wife monopolising it (due to the weaponised cuteness Y claims).

Bad luck to you Australian types with the heat wave in your mostly desert land mass... If it is any consolation to you, it is freezing in Blighty at the moment, maybe some sort of thermal exchange system can be set up, utilising all the backpackers travelling to the UK from Oz and vice-versa...?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Seems like his heart just wasn't in it today. Not that much hatred, not that much humor. Just kinda meh... Oh well they can't all be winners I guess.

Those eyes will haunt my dreams though. Haunt them I say.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
It's really annoying to see so many posts by people who must immediately proclaim that they agree with Yahtzee.

FanDam

Jun 25, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Good use of Austin Powers music though, kudos.
Ahem, that was Quincy Jones.

This was one of the funniest reviews in a while, although it was clear Mr. C liked it and was having trouble finding things seriously wrong with it.

The reference to 'The Ring' at the end was great as well.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
jjpenguin said:
Saturated isn't really the right word. Maybe... lightly dabbed with the corner of a handkerchief? I really like the idea of letting people create their own stuff, but I also agree heartily with him here. To me, though, the best part wouldn't be making other people see your stuff, it would be sharing with friends or keeping it for yourself.

All in all, though, I think this may have been the least reviewy of his reviews yet. I felt very empty about the result, even though I laughed. I don't feel like I know a single thing more about the game that I didn't know already. However, I loved the fake-out with googly-eye-ass-face. It makes you think for just that brief minute that he completely ignored the idea of do-it-yourself stuff in the game.

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
I was just wondering why he never brought up user made content even though he mentioned it in another review, but then after I was traumatized by the...dancing... "OH FUCK SORRY." I lol'd pretty hard.

I disagree with his stance on it a tiny bit, because that game is so goddamn cute and the ability to create levels made me actually wish I had a PS3, although I do know what he means by a river of bad designs to wade through. It's like on a website where you give people the ability to create their own avatars; some will be beautiful blends of color and themes that make your eyes fall out to lovingly make out with the screen, but for every one of those people there will be 10,000 more users who just slap on the starter items and expect a boatload of compliments.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Great review. Game looks terrible, I'd rather play a game that involves controlling Yahtzee's googly eyed ass with a DDR pad.

SerpentStare

Jan 25, 2009
I didn't find this review quite as funny as some of the other ones - I guess the heat is getting to Yahtzee's brain just like it is to mine. Yeah, the heat sucks. Not badly made up for, but still kinda poor - for Yahtzee. The eyed boxers was a serious wtf moment, but the ranting seems to be Yahtzee's usual. He notes himself that he doesn't feel inspired to say much about the game and finds it difficult because it's hot, so I just hope he gets his aircon fixed before the next release.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I have to say that I'm really shocked at the review, it was still funny but I guess this is what happens when you are grasping at straws looking to say something about the game but when there is little to nothing to say.

Foreign Shadow

Feb 4, 2009
First time posting and I'm coming onto a ZP forum, I must be insane. A hilarious and biting review, as always. The point about user-created content was a good one. I think developers of games like LBP are thinking that all gamers are like me: ie, obsessive-compulsives with considerable creativity but no work ethic, who have so much fun fooling around with creating their own levels/characters/enemies etc. that it never enters their heads to "sully" the beautiful creations with juvenile humor. But most gamers, after the novelty wears off-about 30 seconds in some cases, I should think-will jump right into abusing the UCC feature in any and all ways possible.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
More and more I think Yahtzee actually is a disappointment to his parents, he cracks more jokes about him with various men than most people would be comfortable with (Filipino boys this time)

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
Great, more nightmare fuel. Just what I needed.

Good stuff, lol'd heartily. Would watch again.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
How come he sometimes doesn't make fun of the big things to make fun of: then again sometimes he likes the horrible things that should be made fun of: like grass-cutting minigames.

I thought LBP was pretty average too which is why I thought the ZP review would be hilarious; not equally average.

I hope he knows we don't count on him to give us relevant and informative reviews (at least I haven't since his No More Heroes review); we just want him to be funny.

This Person

Jul 13, 2008
I'd like to think that was Yahtzee's bum with the googly eyes on it, because it would explain a lot about his personality. I think I would be pretty cynical if I had eyes growing out of my bum. Think of the things you'd see! Not to mention the pain of sitting down.

Anyway, the review was average, if a bit dodgy. Yahtzee reminded me of the lovable dog with the shrapnel it its brain, running back and forth between pleasing the faithful fanbase and throwing a mediocre game through the wringer. He seems to be caring a bit more about the feelings of the viewers, and I guess that's alright, but I think I prefer the reviews in which he was so offensive and off-the-wall that he could make you laugh while you wanted to punch him in the dick.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
Well, aside from Yahtzee's ass calling me after the video was over and whispering "Seven days", I enjoyed this review.

I think maybe he actually liked LBP a little, but he's got a point. There really isn't much you can say about it. He didn't have much to work with.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Great review, took me along time to see it though. I tried to watch it at 5 and couldn't get it to load until now. Still it was worth it, hilarious as usual. Can't wait for next weeks video.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
A sub-par review today, i never have had the urge to pick up LBP as i'm not much of a platformer gamer but then again i didn't think i'd like psychonauts so maybe i'll give it a shot.....when i get a PS3....so i won't happen never mind

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Was it just me or did Yahtzee's eyes seem different this week?

It must be that living in Australia is starting to rub off on him, (unless it was some subtle joke I didn't get).

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
StarryXNights said:
Thats not quite fair, do you how how hot it is in Austraila at the moment? I have family over there and its hell in the city, up wake up shower then 5 mins later you will be dripping Its so hot they've been having power cuts.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hum, this was probaly one of the worst ZP's, over all not funny and it just didnt make much sense, its based more of a stereotypical view of LBP rather then the experience you get from playing it. I mean saying that gamers will instantly abuse any form of content they can make themselfs isnt a problem LBP has ever suffered from, you'll be hard streched to find obscene levels, saying that you're forced to search through all the crap to find decent levels is also stereotypical BS because the highest rated most played levels are the ones that are put straight to the top, the search system also works perfectly, and saying that the mods delete anything they dont like is also wrong, again based of a stupid stereotype LBP has, the true being that mods only check levels flaged by other users, LBP is full of copywrite breaking stuff thats been there for ages, they havnt been reported by users so they havnt been taken down, simple as.

Its really easy to see when Yahtzee simpley dosnt play the games he's 'reviewing' fully, he should probaly actually try every part of a game instead of squirting out random crap he's heard around the web.

Grenbyron

Dec 31, 2008
Not his usual quality. Though at the same time I did like the sight seeing underpants.

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
Wow, I was sure he would givethis one the worst review ever, but It came preety good.

kdragon1010

Jan 17, 2009
I had heard moderately good things about LBP before nothing that made me go WOW I need to get a PS3 so I can play that! This was more of that really.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Emmitt_Nervend said:
I wonder if that was Yahtzee's ass shaking.
Wouldn't put it past Yahtzee to shake his own ass at us.

A great review, I found Little Big Planet enormously entertaining, for the simple reason that it's really funny to fuck people over, especially on that snowboard level: I would slap everyone else off when we got going, and they would hit the electrified platforms...

At this point, I really wonder why people bother posting their thoughts when the most they could have watched of the review is 2 minutes. You people know Yahtzee will lob the ban hammer at you, so what's the point?

Grenbyron said:
Not his usual quality. Though at the same time I did like the sight seeing underpants.
Maybe he was serious that his AC is busted.

Emmitt_Nervend said:
I wonder if that was Yahtzee's ass shaking.
I Wouldn't put it past Yahtzee to shake his own ass at us.

Ryuuken

Jul 24, 2008
In recent weeks I've started to resent Yahtzee's reviews. I know he isn't a legitimate reviewer and he just shits on games for shits & giggles. But at least try and get it right once in a while man.

Even I was skeptical at first about LBP. Until my brother bought it for me for Christmas. So I popped it in and thought "Well, it's got good reviews...maybe it'll be good". I cannot stop playing this game. It is the most fun I've ever had with a game since Portal. Part of it is it's aesthetic. It's refreshing to have a good game these days that doesn't require you horribly mutilate your enemies to death (*cough* Gears of War 2 *cough*). Yeah it isn't "3D" and the jumping sucks, but still that's nothing a patch can't fix, and hardly enough of a reason for someone to declare a game "bad".

And I'm willing to bet money that Yahtzee didn't actually PLAY any of the custom levels. Sure we're not PROFESSIONALS at designing levels. But you know what, there are some DAMN GOOD custom levels out there, and your rationale for not trying them is "not done by a professional".

Honestly, these videos have gone from funny to angry video game nerd 2.0 to social recluse. Your videos have become hollow. We're all waiting for the point as to why you declare a game good or bad, but you just say whether Game X is good or bad, and then the video is over. And it isn't just LBP, you did it last week with Gears of War 2 as well.

Flame-Romance

Dec 24, 2008
PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Awesome review, and hell-funny arse dance :D
That bit at the end made me think of 1213 with the bispectical dude.
All in all a great review :D
I still don't think I'll be buying the game though.

redeemer09

Jan 19, 2009
can any body say fanboy attack put red ring of death on this review(hes from the g4 tv, the feed blog)he would attack this review with blind rage with a container of pudding

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
StarryXNights said:
I think this is one of the best ones I've seen :).

Especially considering the googly eyed boxers part, that was pretty priceless.

Likewise he said absolutely everything that could be said about LBP without being redundant which is the big issue with gaming reviews these days, they try to fill out a magazine page with a review and just end up saying the same thing 6 different ways."

"The Level Design was Amazing."
"Likewise it had amazing level design."
"They designed amazing levels."
"Amazing Levels were Designed for this game."

It gets tedious and I like that he evades that through most of his reviews by having genuinely new things to say.

Ryuuken said:
In recent weeks I've started to resent Yahtzee's reviews. I know he isn't a legitimate reviewer and he just shits on games for shits & giggles. But at least try and get it right once in a while man.

Even I was skeptical at first about LBP. Until my brother bought it for me for Christmas. So I popped it in and thought "Well, it's got good reviews...maybe it'll be good". I cannot stop playing this game. It is the most fun I've ever had with a game since Portal. Part of it is it's aesthetic. It's refreshing to have a good game these days that doesn't require you horribly mutilate your enemies to death (*cough* Gears of War 2 *cough*). Yeah it isn't "3D" and the jumping sucks, but still that's nothing a patch can't fix, and hardly enough of a reason for someone to declare a game "bad".

And I'm willing to bet money that Yahtzee didn't actually PLAY any of the custom levels. Sure we're not PROFESSIONALS at designing levels. But you know what, there are some DAMN GOOD custom levels out there, and your rationale for not trying them is "not done by a professional".

Honestly, these videos have gone from funny to angry video game nerd 2.0 to social recluse. Your videos have become hollow. We're all waiting for the point as to why you declare a game good or bad, but you just say whether Game X is good or bad, and then the video is over. And it isn't just LBP, you did it last week with Gears of War 2 as well.
Am I the only one that can look at someone elses honest opinion of a game and not get angsty? I like LBP too but what he said is still pretty spot on.

I mean on any given day you can find 6 dozen LBP versions of 9/11, mario level rehashes, and the likes. It's not a bad thing, but it is good. Likewise I don't think he ever said it was bad, in fact he used a smiley face sun quite a few times.

Gekidami said:
Hum, this was probaly one of the worst ZP's, over all not funny and it just didnt make much sense, its based more of a stereotypical view of LBP rather then the experience you get from playing it. I mean saying that gamers will instantly abuse any form of content they can make themselfs isnt a problem LBP has ever suffered from, you'll be hard streched to find obscene levels, saying that you're forced to search through all the crap to find decent levels is also stereotypical BS because the highest rated most played levels are the ones that are put straight to the top, the search system also works perfectly, and saying that the mods delete anything they dont like is also wrong, again based of a stupid stereotype LBP has, the true being that mods only check levels flaged by other users, LBP is full of copywrite breaking stuff thats been there for ages, they havnt been reported by users so they havnt been taken down, simple as.

Its really easy to see when Yahtzee simpley dosnt play the games he's 'reviewing' fully, he should probaly actually try every part of a game instead of squirting out random crap he's heard around the web.
Likewise these responses are pretty stereotypical anywhere that dares not speak about LBP like its the next messiah.

Yes it was a good game, in fact its probably one of the only legitimate reasons to own a PS3, but still it isn't the greatest thing ever.

As I said before I haven't been to hard stretched finding 9/11 levels which are about as obscene as things get for me. (Joking about the deaths of what...two thousand + people?)

Plus again he gave the game a great review, he just nailed the User Generated Content.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Somehow it wasn't as good as it usually is.
Or I just like LBP so much I was on a defensive state all during the review...

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Not too fond of the review itself, but that ass shaking bit and the ending made up for it.

Quelthazar

Jan 26, 2009
I actually didn't laugh at this one. I was a bit lolz at the googly eyed pants but after a bit it looked stupid. And the game wasn't the best. Maybe i would try it on a friends PS3 but i wouldn't get it for myself.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Am I the only person in the world that looks at LBP and does not see a gift from the heavens sent down to save the PS3?

I don't know, I just can't get my mind wrapped around how user-designed levels and cutesy mascots makes for the gaming equivalent of ambrosia.

Maybe it's just my hyper-intelligent train of thought that sees simplicity as a cop-out and would much rather my gaming experience be one of broad characterization and story-telling with some fun action and humor balancing it out.

Or maybe I'm just jaded that this is another step towards more balance-beam bullcrap.

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
o_O ...I...I don't know if I want to scrub that intermission from my mind or not...so disturbing and entertaining at the same time.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
Did the people who put best review ever, even watch it?
Yeah, and now I'm going to watch it second time.
And this time actually pay attention to portions other than the arse gravitating in your face.

Didn't really work. The review seemed to be more bashing the game in theory than in function. He only referenced it in what could happen, rather than what does happen - the engine will never allow you to fall through the 3D plane, most people choose to dress with some flair (I dress up like Jamie Hynemann) and using actual search parameters you can find some real gems quite easily.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
And this time actually pay attention to portions other than the arse gravitating in your face.
Uh. Yeah.

Not much to say about a platformer, though. Like Yahtzee said, it's from point hay to bee, jumping and...jumping.

Unless you shoot people thar. Which you don't :/

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
Uh. Yeah.

Not much to say about a platformer, though. Like Yahtzee said, it's from point hay to bee, jumping and...jumping.

Yeah you do.

Maybe you should know about a game before you talk about it.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
I think it was an undecided. He thought the editing tools were well done but (like me) would rather play a normal game with content made by actual developers. At least thats what I got out of the review.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
Uh. Yeah.

Yeah you do.
You shoot at people? In a kid-friendly game? Blasphemies.

Can't really say, though, as I only watched like 2 videos of the game, saw some screenshots and wasn't "wowed".

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Am I the only one who laughed when it went from the creepy clip of the boxer shorts to the advert for Unskippable?

Oh yes, and some of his lines on the subject of the economic crisis seen to be taken from Charlie Brooker somewhat. Or maybe that's just me jumping to conclusions.

StarryXNights said:
Maybe it's just me, but the reviews always feel more substantial and longer when he speaks more slowly. And it wasn't really bile filled. He likes the game, he loves Stephen Fry (hem hem) and he thinks the game content is good. His only problem was with user generated content, which he doesn't blame the game for. He in fact congratulates the mods on their work deleting anything worthless.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
Uh. Yeah.

Yeah you do.

Can't really say, though, as I only watched like 2 videos of the game, saw some screenshots and wasn't "wowed".
With a paintball gun. Enemies are built with sensors that make them break down after being shot.

Taizan

Feb 4, 2009
The pants and eyes combo was ever so slightly un-nerving. Referring to the review, it seems that anyone would have trouble talking a lot about a game that seems, to me at least, a little insubstantial.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
Uh. Yeah.

Yeah you do.

With a paintball gun. Enemies are built with sensors that make them break down after being shot.
Sounds entertaining.

*cough cough*

So... do you do anything else in the game?

ertxz18

Dec 24, 2008
Awesome review! That googly eyes on the ass was pretty funny, I couldn't stop laughing! Also the chocolate bit was funny lol

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
I actually quite enjoy LBP but there is an obvious issue around how much garbage usermade content is out there. Some of it just should never been uploaded.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Abedeus said:
Soulkiller3 said:
Uh. Yeah.

Yeah you do.

Sounds entertaining.

*cough cough*

So... do you do anything else in the game?
Pilot zepplins through the stars, swing over firey pits, engage in stealth activities, work out puzzles, be flung about by the physics engine, ride trains, drive cars, fly, play sudoku, pinball, baketball and tic-tac-toe against a computer, swim through underwater mazes dragging a key...yeah, a fair amount.

The question now becomes, what can you do in any other game?

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Despite what the text says at the end the ranking system really does work well.. and where are these amazing naruto levels :eek:

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
These are always so much stinking fun to watch! I love these reviews! And this one was certainly not a let-down! Very funny stuff!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Didn't really work. The review seemed to be more bashing the game in theory than in function. He only referenced it in what could happen, rather than what does happen - the engine will never allow you to fall through the 3D plane, most people choose to dress with some flair (I dress up like Jamie Hynemann) and using actual search parameters you can find some real gems quite easily.
Yes, but you wouldn't like the review unless he declared it the holy messiah, ie. agreed with you. That would rather defeat the point of a review though. Anyway, since it's just your word against his, I believe him. He hasn't shown anything like the same fanboy tendencies as you, as much as you like to whine about him doing so.

EgoDeusEst

May 9, 2008
Yes, to my dismay, plans for LBA3 were scrapped a few years ago. Not enough hype I guess.
Long before free-roaming, Twinsen had cars, boats, even a dragon, jetpacks and flying saucers to traverse the great cosmos. Pretty neat for a game so old it initialy came out on a bunch of floppy discs. Suck on that GTA.

Eh well, on to the actual release.
I myself do not own Little Big Planet. I was part of the beta, and I liked a bunch of the user created stuff that was made. But that was for a relatively small crowd of people, and still many levels were blank, not working, or just plain dumb. Now release the game to the general public and see what happens. I'm afraid the entire user content sphere will be utterly minged, removing much of the fun from the game. Hence I hesitate to buy the game.

I heard they were going to fix the problem with the dimension-switching mechanisms sometime soon. I'm not going to buy LBP before that either. The whole "I'll jump somewhere inconvenient without you wanting me to"-crap annoys the heck out of me.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Geo Da Sponge said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Yes, but you wouldn't like the game unless he declared it the holy messiah, ie. agreed with you. That would rather defeat the point of a review though. Anyway, since it's just your word against his, I believe him. He hasn't shown anything like the same fanboy tendencies as you, as much as you like to whine about him doing so.
No, he's shown the "everything in life is awful, so live in a state of pure misery" tendencies.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
beddo said:
It's really annoying to see so many posts by people who must immediately proclaim that they agree with Yahtzee.
Why?

For all you know, they might?

Xylon Lionheart

Jun 4, 2008
Something I always felt that LBP can really start using more are the character enhancements. So far we have the jetpacks and, if you bought the MGS pack, the paintinator, which for the uninitiated is just a paintball gun. I'm sure there are some other awesome character enhancements the game could eventually have, and Media Molecule should continue to create more levels themselves for maximum awesome.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
For some reason I couldn't help but laugh at the "ho ho ho *****" and the part where he spits in his friend's face. And the ass eyes well...eek. But yeah, LBP has some great levels....that get modded and all the others are just simply "littlebig", music levels or free **** levels

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
CrafterMan said:
beddo said:
Why?

These are people without the game, so they aren't entitled to the opinions he goes over in this (i.e. they have no idea what the content is like, they have no idea what the controls are like, so on and so forth)

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Yes, but you wouldn't like the game unless he declared it the holy messiah, ie. agreed with you. That would rather defeat the point of a review though. Anyway, since it's just your word against his, I believe him. He hasn't shown anything like the same fanboy tendencies as you, as much as you like to whine about him doing so.
No, he's shown the "everything in life is awful, so live in a state of pure misery" tendencies.
Yes, and that's why he's given a shining review of many games in his time. I meam he doesn't even particularly dislike LBP from what I heard. Certainly, he enjoyed the pre-made content that the game came with. He even complemented the mods on deleting stuff that isn't any good, and describing how he liked the level editor itself.

You're like any number of fanboys who will complain when their favourite game gets 'only' a 9 out of 10.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
i bought this game because i wanted to design some levels and play multiplayer... how sorry i was. It's nearly impossible to make anything original and even if you do it has a strange tendency just to seem very boring and gimmicky, not only that but no one wanted to play with me for some reason. And the story is interesting and creative but deep down its not very original, and it gets annoying because the control can be sticky

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Whew, thank goodness for user made content. When the review "ended" and the pants-dance started and I saw there were still about 3 minutes to go in the video, I was very scared...

Meagen

Jul 24, 2008
I've been down with the sniffles, but this has definitely brightened up my week.

Oh yeah, shake that googly-eyed booty.

Good review, too.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
User made content isn't that bad. If you're the kind of person who likes to stay with a game for a while before moving on, UMC should be something of a plus. I think mods created for games like the later Elder Scrolls games greatly enhance gameplay experience, although quality is generally varied.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
That bum dance was just so amazingly Charlie Brooker, I beginig to wonder if Yahtzee is just directly plagiarizing him now.

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
LBP is a very good game, it's a shame that Yahtzee didn't really focus on the elements that make the game and instead decided to dick about for most of the interview.

Yeah there is a lot of bollocks in the community made levels, but I would say that the number of genuine attempts at fun levels outweighs the terrible ones. The only bad point I would mention in this department is that the game currently doesn't offer great community tools (searching, catagorising, etc). I keep coming across the same levels even though there must be thousands of them available (the 'Quick Play' option, which loads up a random level is pretty handy for trying new levels).

But the game looks fantastic, it really sounds fantastic, has great music, and if you want to create your own levels then the tools are pretty easy to use and you can do some very interesting stuff with them.

And automatic depth switching isn't as bad as Yahtzee's diagram suggests (which makes it seem like you'll randomly die when making a simple jump).

I will reiterate: LBP is a very good game. It is extremely polished and the story mode is quite fun with some beautiful level design, and generally very kooky humour that is enjoyable if you can enjoy something like that without saying "uhh this game is for kids".

I guess it all depends on what you are after. LittleBigPlanet is a game for people who enjoy exploring, experiencing interesting designs, non-violent gameplay (except for the burning the stabbing the spiking the electrifying and the squishing, and the blowing things up).
Creative people should consider looking into LBP as well, for obvious reasons. Even if you never open up the editor, the game levels are full of interesting designs. The story part of LBP is as much an art canvas as it is a game.

It would not appeal to an adrenaline-junkie (although some of the mini-games can get quite intense if you are good enough to get far into them).

I can't help but feel that Yahtzee is nowadays giving people what he thinks they want rather than writing properly considered reviews. Yes I know he has always been very hard when it comes to reviewing games, but recently a lot of the bad points he brings up feel like they are there just for the sake of saying something bad and keeping his rep going, rather than making an actual point. Time for a holiday?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I really enjoyed the design of the sack puppet thing ... avatars... I guess... what would you call the little white (or black) Yahtzee things?
Yatzeetars...

Avatzees...

Anyway, when I saw the little sack puppet i almost spit root beer all over my computer screen it was so funny.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Geo Da Sponge said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Yes, and that's why he's given a shining review of many games in his time. I meam he doesn't even particularly dislike LBP from what I heard. Certainly, he enjoyed the pre-made content that the game came with. He even complemented the mods on deleting stuff that isn't any good, and describing how he liked the level editor itself.

You're like any number of fanboys who will complain when their favourite game gets 'only' a 9 out of 10.
Because the reasons be gave are insubstantiated. He claims there is nothing worthwhile being created - I just finished playing one right now. He claims the plane adjustor will kill you every time - I find it does nothing of the sort.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
That googly eye ass thing was awesome. I have never laughed so hard at a Zp video before. Great review as always.

Gollon

Jan 16, 2008
Sweet jesus I hate googly eyes they are worse than all the horrors in the world combined.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hmm, i am still confused as to if he likes it or not. I am not going to buy it but he seemed very unsure which is unlike Yahtzee.

Still, the googly eye pants dance was one of the funniest things i've seen on ZP for sometime. I almost spat my drink over my keyboard =P

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
hahaha i managed to snort my Sprite out of my nose when the googly arse thing came on.

(Is it me or does he have a really nice arse)

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Because the reasons be gave are insubstantiated. He claims there is nothing worthwhile being created - I just finished playing one right now. He claims the plane adjustor will kill you every time - I find it does nothing of the sort.
Huwhaaat? You and him disagree? I guess that if you both own the game one of you must be wrong... alternatively it could be a difference in opinion and you telling him that his experience is wrong seems ridiculous.

Plus he doesn't say there's nothing worthwhile being created. He just said that it's a pain in the arse to find, although the mods do help clean out the shit. Nor does he say the plane adjustor will kill you every time, he merely suggests that it can go wrong ocassionally, and from my own experience I know that the occassional fault in a system can drive you nuts even when it only happens rarely. Okay, I admit, I have no first hand experience of this specific problem to know how bad it is, but he does, and if he thinks it's a problem then that's his choice.

If your opinion is otherwise then fair enough, but you trying to promote your way of seeing things over Yahtzee's (or vice versa) is stupid.

_Russell_

Jan 5, 2009
The googly eye arse dance was hilarious. :)

Pity the scary eyes at the end were spoil by the ?Unskippable? trailer.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
1) I hope that wasn't his butt
2) There is a search tool that lets you specifically search for levels rated extremely highly by the community. You're not wading through a river at all
3) The included levels do stand on their own.

Velios

Dec 11, 2008
This was another amusing one for me, especially the googly-eyed pants.

MrShrike

Oct 27, 2008
Nice use of Dr Manhatten- loved watchmen

Funny review, i only wish that he'd make a few more varied points instead of resting on jokes he establishes from the beginning of the video

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I am in complete and utter agreement with Yahtzee about UGC. See, if a game like Oblivion, which has the most user-friendly construction set I've ever seen in a PC game, can nonetheless have a good-to-crap ratio that's about two dozen to infinity, that's exactly the reason why I'm glad professional game people created the bulk of the content (even if the 24 or so mods in question are so indispensable that you wonder why Bethesda hasn't just hired the whole lot of them to do TES5). Yahtzee is exactly spot-on with his viewpoint about the utter laziness and idiocy associated with sending some idiot to do your job for you and calling it a feature.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
He loved it, he probably had a lot of fun with the level editor, I just think he's ashamed to say it.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Indigo_Dingo said:
He claims the plane adjustor will kill you every time - I find it does nothing of the sort.
Exactly, I've found it's nigh perfect. It will always move you to an available layer to prevent death

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
Good - Googly Eye Boxers
Bad - Tired Yahzee

Now would be a good time for Escapist to pay him a ticket to Hawaii so he can rest his creative brains and provide us with new fun content to watch.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Geo Da Sponge said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Huwhaaat? You and him disagree? I guess that if you both own the game one of you must be wrong... alternatively it could be a difference in opinion and you telling him that his experience is wrong seems ridiculous.

Plus he doesn't say there's nothing worthwhile being created. He just said that it's a pain in the arse to find, although the mods do help clean out the shit. Nor does he say the plane adjustor will kill you every time, he merely suggests that it can go wrong ocassionally, and from my own experience I know that the occassional fault in a system can drive you nuts even when it only happens rarely. Okay, I admit, I have no first hand experience of this specific problem to know how bad it is, but he does, and if he thinks it's a problem then that's his choice.

If your opinion is otherwise then fair enough, but you trying to promote your way of seeing things over Yahtzee's (or vice versa) is stupid.
What I'm saying is that he was overreacting. And while that is his typical style, I wanted to try and put things in perspective - its also a ***** to find anything good in the modern gaming market, the modding scene, the indy scene, modern art, or anything that has ever existed since the Egyptians figured out the best stone for bulding pyramids tended to not grow right by where they wanted the pyramids.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Hmm, the 2nd pants but made me think of Doom House, but not as scary :). Anyway, no input from my side on LBP since personally I find it too expensive considering the genre. Once it drops to say, 30 euros somewhere, I might pick it up and stress test the physics engine - it might be good enough to use in class.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Dele said:
Good - Googly Eye Boxers
Bad - Tired Yahzee

Now would be a good time for Escapist to pay him a ticket to Hawaii so he can rest his creative brains and provide us with new fun content to watch.
How would Hawaii be better than the Gold Coast?

Eaving

May 21, 2008
I keep getting a message saying:

200, stream not found, Netstream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] '530"

Can anyone help me with this?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
What I'm saying is that he was overreacting. And while that is his typical style, I wanted to try and put things in perspective - its also a ***** to find anything good in the modern gaming market, the modding scene, the indy scene, modern art, or anything that has ever existed since the Egyptians figured out the best stone for bulding pyramids tended to not grow right by where they wanted the pyramids.
Sounds about right (except for the whole 'stones growing' thing, but that's not important). Good to see that two people of opposed viewpoints on the interent can reach a proper compromise. Altruism all round!

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Dude this one is hilarious, I have got to show it to my friend James. He likes LBP so friggin much and I would love to see his reaction to this review. Oh yeah one more thing, CRAZY ASSBALLS!!! You heard me. Well, read me. You get what I mean!

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Well, this is one review I agree wholeheartedly with... I've sat with LBP for about an hour at a friends', and it really struck me as something... Well, it was fun enough, and it had a certain charming appeal with regards to it's looks, but somehow, it didn't feel like a whole GAME. It was more like something that should have been released for half the price over PSN.

And those googley-eyed pants... *shivers*

freakincody7

Feb 4, 2009
Why does he have a roblem with the one game that focused around just having fun instead of grit, when hes always complaining about grit? This should have been right up his alley, and all of the problems he had were tiny, Especially online play. every level gets rated by other people, so he doesnt have to play the bad ones, and its not hard to find a good one.

Axelgear

Oct 18, 2007
Fun review. I love LBP but he's right; the community levels exist in one of two forms: Awesome and awful, n'ere twixt the two shall meet. The main game? Fantastic, especially with friends around, and the same goes for making your own. I've been crafting my own but, again, it's better with friends, y'know?

Good review. Flabby ass.

freakincody7

Feb 4, 2009
oh and he didnt even play all of gears, or he would have found out about dons wife, that was sad man (and chest high walls are kinda like regular walls, there there because if they werent, gameplay wouldnt be possible)

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
Never in a million years have I even dreamed someone would have the same opinion of user created content as I do. I almost wet myself when he made the house analogy.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Well I'm going to be scared of boxer-shorts for the rest of my life now...

HomicidalDonut

Sep 4, 2008
Pretty much right on the money, a lot of the online play really is sorta like sifting through a pile of buffalo feces looking for gold nuggets.

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
UGC is a bad thing? OK, then we should cease all sales of paints, musical instruments, postings of pictures on the internet, etc, because we don't want to see all that bad 'user generated stuff', right?

Stop being idiots. UGC is only a good thing. Okay, if you were ONLY getting UGC with LBP then that might be a different matter, but considering it has a fine quality single player story mode with it, I don't see what there is to complain about. Stop hinging on every word Yahtzee says as if he is delivering golden nuggets of insight, most of the time he's talking out of his arse in a funny way.

LittleBigPlanet is a fantastic game, one of the best on the market at the moment. You'd be a fool not to consider buying it just because Yahtzee has not given a glowing review.

I mean, for fucks sake, LEGO INDIANA JONES got a more positive sounding review than this, and that game is boring as hell. LBP is a wonder of imagination and creativity, balled up in some simple but tested-true gameplay.

I really think Yahtzee has lost the plot somewhere. Zero Punctuation feels like it has become a joyless job to him and it has lost the spark of ingenuity it used to have.

The only really bad thing about LBP is that it is not very difficult. The story mode is pretty much a theme park ride, but that doesn't mean you won't die a lot. It's just that with three lives per checkpoint, you'll rarely come across a section where you die completely and have to restart the level. Because of this, there is not a lot of challenge in the game; but it is still fun, and you will still die frequently.

EMO_of_LiGHT

Jan 25, 2009
Too true. but at least they had some proffesionally made levels you can go back to while you try to simmer through the mess of content online.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
HomicidalDonut said:
Pretty much right on the money, a lot of the online play really is sorta like sifting through a pile of buffalo feces looking for gold nuggets.
Which is why they let you sort through using the tags, and give you several buttons labeled "nuggets". (These buttons are ingenious, beautiful, mechanical and artistic).

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
Great. Leave it to Yahtzee to take all the sting out of calling someone "ass-eyes". Oh well, at least the review was funny.

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
Tch, why even review a game like this? You said it yourself, there's nothing to say other than things we all know about already. Oh well.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Ah, that was good. Not to terribly funny, but still viable.

Though now I am afraid that my dreams will be haunted by Yahtzee's googly-eyed buttocks.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I say without shame that Yahtzee's bum acting was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Someone give that bum an Oscar.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Ben my friend....you have WAY too much time on your hands if you dance around in boxers like that! LOL!

Excellent review!

joswie

Aug 23, 2008
Considering the sheer amount of sexuality in this review, I am surprised that the Dr. Manhattan character was devoid of such characteristics. That being said, I still find the entire review to be one of Yahtzee's best in a little while.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
So good my girlfriend watched it and even laughed and she doesn't like the "sweary bloke who talks too fast".

Loved the eyes on arse bit - the ending could've been fantastic , don't get me wrong, it was inspired and brilliant but was missing that one last thing - fade to black, wait one second, air biscuit :D

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
Good rant, funny, enjoyable, hit on the points I was looking for...

but did it actually ever even get a yay or nay? As far as I can tell there was never any real for-or-against sort of thing here which is unusual, at least to me. Its not a bad thing per say but I was genuinely interested in whether or not he would recommend it.

Amoreyna

Jan 12, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
CrafterMan said:
beddo said:
Why?

These are people without the game, so they aren't entitled to the opinions he goes over in this (i.e. they have no idea what the content is like, they have no idea what the controls are like, so on and so forth)
And I suppose all the comments before Beddo's that were made by people that own the game, like the game yet still thought the review was funny don't count? There were also several people who said they owned the game and got the same impressions that he got.

It's really tiring to see the constant assumptions on here that those who agree with Yatzhe must be rabid fanboys who can't think for themselves. Yes people comment that don't own the game. *gasp* The horror! I mean, how dare they have an opinion about anything until they waste dozens of hours of their life playing it. They should all be banned.

It may surprise you Dingo that you don't have to play a game to have an opinion of it. You can watch the trailors for it, read reviews, even watch actual game play on YouTube to help you decide if you want to shell out $50 for a pile of junk or not.

I will never be playing LBP unless they port it to something else. But even after that I would still be hesitant because I am disastified with the way games are going now-a-days: i.e. developers design part and then you make up the rest while convincing yourself that your having fun. Level designers are all well and good, but when you are paying $50-70 for a game you generally want something that was designed by a professional and guarantees ample game play. I mean you are paying them in order to play the game. There may be wonderous levels designed by other users but that's not how I want to play my games and a lot of people feel the same way. Just becuase I haven't played LBP doesn't mean that my own personal feelings on UGC are less valid.

zohmbee

Feb 21, 2008
I knew he was going to do LittleBigPlanet this week. x3

Awesomely funny review- I loved this game and I had to agree ( and laugh ) at everything you had to say about it.

And if I ever find out that that's Yahtzee's ass in the freaky googly-eyed pants, I swear to God, I'm going to start laughing and never stop.

LegionSeere

Feb 3, 2009
Well...that was different lol made me say wtf out loud at an ass with googly eyes shaking about at me all of a sudden.

and sorry but I just can't emphasize about not having an air conditioner through the summer months in Australia cause I haven't lived with one in the 20 years I've lived here in N.S.W :p

fraserfj

Jan 14, 2009
does anyone know when/if the show with yahtzee, matt and yug will be on tele?

Amoreyna

Jan 12, 2009
merkaba48 said:
UGC is a bad thing? OK, then we should cease all sales of paints, musical instruments, postings of pictures on the internet, etc, because we don't want to see all that bad 'user generated stuff', right?

Stop being idiots. UGC is only a good thing. Okay, if you were ONLY getting UGC with LBP then that might be a different matter, but considering it has a fine quality single player story mode with it, I don't see what there is to complain about. Stop hinging on every word Yahtzee says as if he is delivering golden nuggets of insight, most of the time he's talking out of his arse in a funny way.

LittleBigPlanet is a fantastic game, one of the best on the market at the moment. You'd be a fool not to consider buying it just because Yahtzee has not given a glowing review.

I mean, for fucks sake, LEGO INDIANA JONES got a more positive sounding review than this, and that game is boring as hell. LBP is a wonder of imagination and creativity, balled up in some simple but tested-true gameplay.

I really think Yahtzee has lost the plot somewhere. Zero Punctuation feels like it has become a joyless job to him and it has lost the spark of ingenuity it used to have.

The only really bad thing about LBP is that it is not very difficult. The story mode is pretty much a theme park ride, but that doesn't mean you won't die a lot. It's just that with three lives per checkpoint, you'll rarely come across a section where you die completely and have to restart the level. Because of this, there is not a lot of challenge in the game; but it is still fun, and you will still die frequently.
1. You seem to be missing the fact that people can have a different opinion from yours. While you may think it's the best game ever - a lot of people don't agree with you, and many of them have played the game. Just because they aren't impressed with it doesn't mean that they are unthinking fan-boys. People like Lego Indiana Jones, you didn't. That's okay. That's why we have th right to state opinions in the free world.

2. Comparing UGC made with a simplistic level designer to paint, music, art etc created by unlimited creative potential is a bit over-doing it don't you think? No one is going to become the next Dali because of a level they created in LBP. Plus you aren't paying to wade through someone pictures in the real world. You are when you buy games like LBP that rely heavily on UGC - which is why some of us have a problem with it.

Psychochik

Feb 4, 2009
Finally, a response to this game that makes for total vindication.

Any game that could be better re-enacted with a sock puppet deserves a good hard smack, an armfull of lit TNT, and a 'foot to arse' out the door.

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Oh dear God the filler! The filler! Brain... Dribbling... From... Earholes...

Presumably the Cochlea.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Imagine having someone walk in on you filming your own ass with googly eyes.

It must be awkward level 54.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
fraserfj said:
does anyone know when/if the show with yahtzee, matt and yug will be on tele?
When MTV actually write up the contract. Yug told me it was MTV and someone else, I think it was Fox, who showed the most interest. (Thats the American MTV and Fox)

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
Good rant, funny, enjoyable, hit on the points I was looking for...

but did it actually ever even get a yay or nay? As far as I can tell there was never any real for-or-against sort of thing here which is unusual, at least to me. Its not a bad thing per say but I was genuinely interested in whether or not he would recommend it.
Then consider my opinion, being an avid gamer and professional game designer, and someone whose opinions of great games generally fall in line with Yahtzee's (Thief being my all time favourite game); I believe LBP is worth your money if you enjoy exploration, innocent fun (that is, no blood and guts), kooky humour, creativity, and don't mind a game that will not challenge you too deeply in the area of gameplay. That is without considering Create mode and playing other people's levels, which is another matter as they require more effort than playing the single player game.

It is very easy to make your own stuff. Making interesting things though requires effort and some passion for the craft, so if you're interested in that sort of thing then LBP is an excellent sandbox for ideas, and there is a very large scope of possibilities using the game engine for gameplay that is not platform-based (e.g. one of the game mini-games is using a jetpack to navigate through an endless tunnel of electrified walls, feeling somewhat like the spaceship section of Turrican 2).

There is very little bad about this game; most of its negatives are in the UI and internet functionality.

Just to reiterate my earlier point; LEGO Indiana Jones got a more positive sounding review than LittleBigPlanet. I dare anyone to play both games and decide that this is fair; no matter what ones opinions of LBP might be, LIJ is nowhere near as worthy of your money. Nowhere near.

P1p3s

Jan 16, 2009
while you make a good point (or I could be hypnotised by the googly eyes) I still have an overwhelming desire to play this, but a distinct lack of desire to buy a PS3.

This may all be explained by my second X chromosome.

darksaiyan

Oct 14, 2008
I loved this episode... was just awesome (and made of chocolate). The part with the googly eyes on his butt at the end was scary and tacky, yet incredibly in style with the game. Never played it yet, but LBP does have its attraction.

Ajspeed

Feb 4, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee at the end, Why didnt this Have any relation to LBA when i first heard about it excited till i read the name again

yanamal

Sep 19, 2007
seems like the *technical* quality was down a bit in this episode, as in I'm pretty sure I could hear when he spliced different takes together. A lot. sometimes in the middle of the sentence.

bride_of_lister

Dec 12, 2007
So the 40 degree heat here got to him too.

(That's 104 F for the backwards country as well as Liberia and Burma)

MarwoodBramwell

Feb 4, 2009
jjpenguin said:
Saturated? Is that ACTUALLY what you mean?

Not little tiny neddles of moderateness buried under the dross?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Man YZ is back on top form I struggled to find some of the final 2008 reviews funny but 09 has been some of his best