Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Fignutz

Jan 18, 2009
I agree that it can be hard to find the real gems in the community level, but its not nearly as bad as he would have you believe. Also the game does a very good job of know which planes your trying to reach so he may have been stretching the truth a bit there. A fair review as usual.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put googly eyes on........something....

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
heh, fear the power of the googly eyes! I don't have a PS3 so I can't really try this myself, but the user made content thing is also in SSBB. There is potential to make some pretty nice stuff, but most of the levels I download are crap. I don't think that's something you should ever rely on, but it can be a nice little addition.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
"I SAID EARHOLE!"

I was wondering if Yahtzee would be reviewing this, and I'm glad to see his commentary on user-made content in console titles. Considering that most of the target audience of LBP is somewhere in junior high, it's unsurprising that most of the user-made content is derivative, juvenile, poorly thought-out, or a combination of all of the above. I never felt like I was missing much, and even if Yahtzee's review had been entirely positive, I doubt he'd have changed my mind.

And those ass-eyes are going to haunt me. HAUNT me. I'll be wandering around the greater Philadelphia area and suddenly an arse with eyes will be in my face.

At least it's a decent arse.

Locust

Jan 30, 2009
Funny as always, I don't really understand the big fuss or hype over Little Big Planet, but I suppose like most of the casual, simple games it makes a snowball effect.

The googly eyed pants will keep me up all night though : (

Clairaudient

Aug 12, 2008
richasr said:
also, what is the big deal about 1st posts?
The video was posted at 12:01 (ish). It lasts about 5 minutes. Technically, if you actualy watched the video (and thus can effectively comment on it) you should only be posting around 12:05-12:06. Anyone posting about 'OMG AWSUM VIDDD' before that tiem clearly didn't watch it and is only here to get on their knees for some guy they've never met on the internet.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
StarryXNights said:
Today's episode contained more bile than usual and didn't include such fast conversation. Personally I think Yahtzee has finally lost the plot, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
It's currently like... 40 something degrees (celcius) in most parts of australia.
If his air conditioner truely has broken as he said.... I pitty the poor man

quetzalcoatl5

Dec 25, 2008
I think his objection to lauding a game based on user generated content is akin to his objection to basing a game around multiplayer: it requires effort by people after release not only to generate a fun situation but also effort on his part to identify worthwhile additions. I liken it to my experience with custom maps from Warcraft 3, where there were very well written user made campaigns with completely functional gameplay tweeks (in some cases correcting issues well before a patch would come along) but it was really hard to tell what was worth it. And in some cases you have to make a few bad ones and have people actually play them just to get the framework down to go and make a good one. Essentially turning the gaming community into beta testers.

Beacon

Dec 21, 2008
I didn't find it too funny...

I was really disappointed with this game when I got it, though. I thought you could cure diseases by playing it..but it seems that LBP suffers from a bad case of the HIV...

Vampiric Puppet

Aug 6, 2008
How much review was ACTUALLY in there? 3 minutes? It was a long time before the name "LittleBigPlanet" was actually mentioned let alone reviewed.

Decidedly a 'Meh' review, if that, if you ask me. But no one did.

But for the record I actually liked LBP, it was fun and quirky and a nice change of pace from a lot of games. Don't get me wrong I don't play it for hours on end but it's something to relax to and casually enjoy, you wouldn't 'grind' it all night and work for days at a time to be the best or whatever like you would in most games. Besides some of the User made Content is actually really good, obviously there are some awful levels but also some really good ones. A lot of people have a creative bud, even if they don't know how to express it. I'm with the developers on that one.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I thought that this one was just ok. It has some funny parts, but it took him a minute and a half to even mention the game. Add to this the butt waggling and there wasn't much time for him to actually talk about the game.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
richasr said:
I've wanted to go buy this game for a while now to see what all the fuss was about, and the tv adverts made it kind of intriguing to me. Not sure I will get it for a while now though, seems too frustrating!

also, what is the big deal about 1st posts?
The first posters are often banned as they post before humanly possible to watch it and are usually nonsensical or pointless and earn a short ban. Its more of the moderators telling them STFU. It is now a staple in comments. First the banned posts, then the ones pointing out them and their predicament, then the actual comments.

AccoSpoot

Apr 23, 2008
The whole bit at the end, the ominous music whilst the camera zoomed in on the eyes made it all the more atmospheric when the "Unskippable" advert came on at the end talking about "Up the Ladder"

Great review again, I actually enjoyed LBP, even though, as you mentioned the user created content typically featured no more than a method of filling up your trophy cabinet, there were some gems among the turds, I can't remember its name (Azure Palace I think?) was a great User Created level with atmosphere coming out the sack.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Brokkr said:
I thought that this one was just ok. It has some funny parts, but it took him a minute and a half to even mention the game. Add to this the butt waggling and there wasn't much time for him to actually talk about the game.
Did you not listen to him saying he does not really have alot to say and thus REQUIRED the time eater? The boxers and opening are what are known as filler to take up unused time to fill a general required timeframe.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Kiutu said:
Brokkr said:
Did you not listen to him saying he does not really have alot to say and thus REQUIRED the time eater? The boxers and opening are what are known as filler to take up unused time to fill a general required timeframe.
I understand that he needed to do it, it doesn't make it any better though when half the time is filled with largely unfunny bits.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
I liked LBP, but it does get old after a while; playing the same levels over and over isn't exactly the best, but playing with friends to slap around adds a lot of entertainment :)

I also agree with the bit about the narrator voice. It's so soothing and placid, almost as if Morgan Freeman was narrating your life.