Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Honestly the video was awesome. I almost tipped over from laughing when I saw Sackboy with the kill me sign over him. The eyes on the err... well you know... were a nice touch to the episode and I have to admit that Yahtzee's videos are evolving, he's not pointing out the bad things about games anymore, he actually mentions which parts are worth looking into.

Trikshot

Feb 4, 2009
The butt was just a little weird but the review was great and entertaining.
I really hate how they take off all the good mario levels as well as other levels made after various games.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
I too noticed that the words-per-minute average there was a good deal lower than usual. Yahtzee should move someplace where they have snow at this time of year like normal people.

Valid points are made all around however. I'd disagree with Yahtzee's view on user-made content, if it were not for the fact that the search engine for user-made levels is dismal, bordering on dire (or should that be the other way around?). Even if you know the precise name of the level you want to find and do a search for it... more often than not the first two pages will be filled up with worthless level fodder that sounds nothing like what you typed in - while the level you're actually looking for will be hiding away on the fifth page on a remote Indonesian island, sandwiched between a reinterpretation of Hamlet by a three-year-old and the theme tune to Tetris.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I don't really understand where the Yahtzee I grew to enjoy watching has gone. The reviews are still entertaining, but not quite in the same way they were a while back. Every platforming review has the same jokes. Every shooter review has the same jokes. The originality is completely gone. The reviews still show his disdain for the world of game design, but he is not as completely vicious about the poor aspects of the games he reviews. The positive points of a game used to seem so rare that they would blow his mind, but now he just shrugs them off with a little less enthusiasm. Paraphrasing of course would lead to comments such as, "Yeah I had a lot of fun personally traversing the original levels of Little Big Planet, but is that really what these viewers are interested in?" In short Yahtzee the answer would be yes. Look through some of your older reviews then compare them with the more recent. It seems as the fan base has grown you have resorted to pleasing them instead of providing an interesting review.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
sycotik said:
I deeply feared that we'd be watching the dancing googly-eyed butt for the last three minutes
That was the best part of...

Okay, okay, I'M KIDDING. Yeesh.

Agree on pretty much everything. I don't know what's the fuss about the game. Sackboy? Geez. That's creative. So basically, it's The Sims + Rayman in 2D/3D hybrid.

And I too hoped that it will be a Little Big Adventure sequel. Damn it.

You managed to freak me out with the last moments of this episode...

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
the eyes... the eyeesss... THE EYYYYEEEEESSS!!!!

Ahem!
Brilliant review, still have yet to play LBP for longer then a few drunken minutes round a friends house but i'm not letting anything sway my decision about buying it for myself.

I just love widdle sackboy.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
A bit less of an entertaining review than others, especially after the trio of cleaning up after the Attention Deficit Award. I enjoyed the opening to the review but it was more of a statement, rather than something directly tied to the game itself.

Of course, after Spore I wasn't expecting him to like any of these user-centric games or pour much effort into it, and for a game as bland as Little Big Planet what else can you say about it?

Beyond shaking your googly-eyed ass in a manner that I'm sure will make it pop into my head the next time I'm trying to focus and then make me scream.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Oh yes, forgot. Mad props to Yahtzee for mentioning the Little Big Adventure.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
Good God.

Frankly, though, about 10 seconds of gooly-eyed pant-waving pretty much summed up the whole experience, rendering the rest of the reveiew irrelevant...

'Still quite liked it though. -the review, not the "game". -Yes, quotation marks.
So there.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I thought it was a really good review. I think he liked it but didn't like what he had to go through to get to the parts of the game that were advertised so diligently. And those eyes, THOSE EYES!!

The truth is that user gen. content is a double bladed sword. If you give it to them, then yeah they'll make crap. But you can't cut out the crap because then you'e limiting their "creativity" and killing the game's aspects. So it leads to the senario when after you buy, and have beaten it, you don't play it again until some months or year(s) later when the only maps that'll be left are the gems that remained after time eroded all the shit surrounding it.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Yahtzee does touch on the good point that while the level creation engine is very robust and allows for *relatively* easy creation of levels, it's almost all for naught since the community is already full of user created levels and it's hard to wade through all of them to find a decent one, so odds are it'll be ultra hard for people to find YOURS. Also, MOST (not all) of the levels you're wading through aren't very good. Seriously, can we put a BAN on all stupid levels that are just you jumping on a moving cart while a song plays? I don't care if you can use the sound engine to make a rendition of "Welcome to the Jungle." A really GOOD idea would be that the original level developers of LBP release some new levels with some added information and tutorials so that you can get some guidance on making levels that aren't either A: Just short and bad, or B: Copies of maps from other games like Mario, Sonic, etc etc. This is to be expected when you have a simple content creation system. Sometimes it is almost good to have a hard system. Games like Quake and HL were modded up the ass, but since it wasn't easy and required a bit of programming know-how, you "typically" got better quality content since a major investment had to be made just to get it RUNNING, let alone being fun. I remember when Duke Nukem 3d came out and it came with a fully functioning level editor, and it made for rather easy level creation. As a result, MANY of the maps that were out there to download were horrible. I also used to play online and I don't think there were more than 10 total user created maps that would be played with on a consistent basis. I guess the goal is to find a nice balance between availability and complexity.

I suppose I'm going off topic here. Good review overall. While the platforming mechanics aren't perfect, I don't agree that it's as bad as Yahtzee described.

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
I enjoyed the game, but that's just me, I guess. It seems if you're a Yahtzee fan, then you agree with whatever comes out of his mouth, despite the fact you've never played the game.

Don't get me wrong, I've agreed with him a lot of times, this just isn't one of them, and I can't understand why people who've actually played this game couldn't just enjoy it.