Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
uh....oeeeewwwwwkay, what the hell was with the google eyed ass dance, i mean talk about creepy, yikes. Well aside from that, very good review i laughed at the parts where he strugled with the "good like......chocolate" part and the "oh fuck sorry i forgot user made content."

I say again, the ass dance....... it has scared me for life! Oh the horror!!!!!

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
That was... different. I knew the analogys joke would come eventualy, but the boxer shorts face thing was totally unexpected. And hilarious.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Hallow said:
I thought it was a really good review. I think he liked it but didn't like what he had to go through to get to the parts of the game that were advertised so diligently. And those eyes, THOSE EYES!!

The truth is that user gen. content is a double bladed sword. If you give it to them, then yeah they'll make crap. But you can't cut out the crap because then you'e limiting their "creativity" and killing the game's aspects. So it leads to the senario when after you buy, and have beaten it, you don't play it again until some months or year(s) later when the only maps that'll be left are the gems that remained after time eroded all the shit surrounding it.
Its sometimes worth waiding through the garbage. I have never played LBP, but NWN online is 99% user created stuff, and there is alot of garbage, but the gems Ive found have been very worth it. (Ofcourse, the different sections had varying garbage, with action having more, RP having less)
Also, I mean, just by being gamers we deal with this. Though we are given better ideas than just User created stuff in one game, every and any game could be crap, and we have to see what is and is not, and sometimes people praise crap and ignore the gold. (Halo 3 and Psychonaughts repsectively)

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Evilbunny said:
I liked the part with the dancing. Although I disagree with his thoughts on user made content.
Surely you jest, I would use the example of deviant art as an analogy. For every decent deviant artist there are hundreds if not thousands of totally shitty posters (I will not call them artists)

If you are mediocre and want a ton of positive comments you either do (a) some emo crap (b) some naked lady crap or (c) some popular cartoon fanart crap.

LBP falls into a similar dynamic, luckily though there are only fifty-three people on the planet who own a PS3 so it isn't as evident.

The game's a rental, once your through the game, the novelty of making / downloading UCC will only last about two weeks.

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Slow start, but lol'd hard and hearty for the rest of it. Exam results came out today and I definitely needed a laugh. Loved the Watchmen reference.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I wish I could comment on the review but all I heard were the words 'chocolate' and 'gingerbread garage'...then I started drooling and got distracted...

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I'd love to try Little Big Planet, but i'm a 360 owner so boo hiss boo.

Googley eye's gunna getcha' !

Roto13

Apr 23, 2008
Take a look at the PSN account "LittleXim" and, more importantly, its favourites. That's the Media Molecule account and it exists to highlight the best LBP levels that don't make it to the "cool levels" page. There are a lot of ingenious levels there. It's amazing what some people can do with the level creation tool. Someone made a filter that turns sackboy into a silhouette and everything else into a thin black outline. It's amazing.

Also check out the Media Molecule site for their weekly picks.

http://www.mediamolecule.com/2009/02/04/mm-picks-delayed-by-snow/

(That ass looked a bit too meaty to belong to Yahtzee, but I could be wrong.)

NAL

Jan 25, 2009
I love LittleBigPlanet to bits, I think it's awesome. Completely agree with the review's criticisms though, especially the awkwardness of the three-plane system. No other reviewer can ever have me looking forward to his bashing of my favourite games. Great job, Yahtzee!

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
mark_n_b said:
Evilbunny said:
I liked the part with the dancing. Although I disagree with his thoughts on user made content.
Surely you jest, I would use the example of deviant art as an analogy. For every decent deviant artist there are hundreds if not thousands of totally shitty posters (I will not call them artists)

If you are mediocre and want a ton of positive comments you either do (a) some emo crap (b) some naked lady crap or (c) some popular cartoon fanart crap.

LBP falls into a similar dynamic, luckily though there are only fifty-three people on the planet who own a PS3 so it isn't as evident.

The game's a rental, once your through the game, the novelty of making / downloading UCC will only last about two weeks.
This is true, but if you look at such websites as YTMND, you'll see that there are some real geniuses out there and the creator of the site manages it so the average visitor to the site will see the good YTMNDs and the bad ones will likely be ignored. I think that's all LBP needs, a better way to put the good content in the front and let the bad content fade into obscurity.

BIGpanda

Jan 13, 2009
pretty funny review. I saw some clips of level designs abit after this ZP and yahtzee wasn't lying about the suckage in them. LBP still get my 50$ though.

qubit

Sep 26, 2008
Yahtzee, the recreations of SMB1 are just a caveat for the truly brilliant levels. Have you even had a chance to play Azure Palace yet?

But yeah, there's always gonna be 20 really bad levels or every one really good one. I think half the fun is laughing at the hilariously awful levels while trying to look for the good ones!

Anyway, good review, not as funny as usual but I liked your points about the controls. And yes, the level design totally makes up for that :D

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
Australia is having an unprecedented heat wave at the moment, and as a reviewer I know the horror of having to describe the paper thin and mediocre, so I got a good laugh out of feeling his pain.

Also, the first thing I said when I heard about LBP was "Is it a sequel to Little Big Adventure?" in an excited tone, so props for that.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Played LBP for the first time yesterday so this review was quite relevant for me. I did notice that the game seems to be very awkward when it comes to switching between planes but indeed the levels are fun. The problem with 2D games is that you can find lots of them for free on the internet and many of them are just as fun even if not quite as attractive. The good thing about LBP though is the creation because there is almost no limit to what you can do (short of adding an extra dimension) and although anything you make will most likely be shit, the ease and fun of creating it is unmatched.

Chrisos

May 21, 2008
jjpenguin said:
meh, didnt find it funny myself...valid points though, Yahtzee doesn't seem to get UGC, the point is that there WILL be an extortianite amount of sh*t, but saturated with brilliance
Surely you mean, "there WILL be an exorbitant amount of sh*t, but flecked occasionally with brilliance".

Sorry for calling you Shirly. :)

In other news, LBP now gets put to the back of the queue of potential purchases as a result to me never getting on the PS3 due to the wife monopolising it (due to the weaponised cuteness Y claims).

Bad luck to you Australian types with the heat wave in your mostly desert land mass... If it is any consolation to you, it is freezing in Blighty at the moment, maybe some sort of thermal exchange system can be set up, utilising all the backpackers travelling to the UK from Oz and vice-versa...?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Seems like his heart just wasn't in it today. Not that much hatred, not that much humor. Just kinda meh... Oh well they can't all be winners I guess.

Those eyes will haunt my dreams though. Haunt them I say.