Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Xylon Lionheart

Jun 4, 2008
Something I always felt that LBP can really start using more are the character enhancements. So far we have the jetpacks and, if you bought the MGS pack, the paintinator, which for the uninitiated is just a paintball gun. I'm sure there are some other awesome character enhancements the game could eventually have, and Media Molecule should continue to create more levels themselves for maximum awesome.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
For some reason I couldn't help but laugh at the "ho ho ho *****" and the part where he spits in his friend's face. And the ass eyes well...eek. But yeah, LBP has some great levels....that get modded and all the others are just simply "littlebig", music levels or free **** levels

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Didn't really work. The review seemed to be more bashing the game in theory than in function. He only referenced it in what could happen, rather than what does happen - the engine will never allow you to fall through the 3D plane, most people choose to dress with some flair (I dress up like Jamie Hynemann) and using actual search parameters you can find some real gems quite easily.
Yes, but you wouldn't like the game unless he declared it the holy messiah, ie. agreed with you. That would rather defeat the point of a review though. Anyway, since it's just your word against his, I believe him. He hasn't shown anything like the same fanboy tendencies as you, as much as you like to whine about him doing so.
No, he's shown the "everything in life is awful, so live in a state of pure misery" tendencies.
Yes, and that's why he's given a shining review of many games in his time. I meam he doesn't even particularly dislike LBP from what I heard. Certainly, he enjoyed the pre-made content that the game came with. He even complemented the mods on deleting stuff that isn't any good, and describing how he liked the level editor itself.

You're like any number of fanboys who will complain when their favourite game gets 'only' a 9 out of 10.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
i bought this game because i wanted to design some levels and play multiplayer... how sorry i was. It's nearly impossible to make anything original and even if you do it has a strange tendency just to seem very boring and gimmicky, not only that but no one wanted to play with me for some reason. And the story is interesting and creative but deep down its not very original, and it gets annoying because the control can be sticky

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Whew, thank goodness for user made content. When the review "ended" and the pants-dance started and I saw there were still about 3 minutes to go in the video, I was very scared...

Meagen

Jul 24, 2008
I've been down with the sniffles, but this has definitely brightened up my week.

Oh yeah, shake that googly-eyed booty.

Good review, too.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
That bum dance was just so amazingly Charlie Brooker, I beginig to wonder if Yahtzee is just directly plagiarizing him now.

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
LBP is a very good game, it's a shame that Yahtzee didn't really focus on the elements that make the game and instead decided to dick about for most of the interview.

Yeah there is a lot of bollocks in the community made levels, but I would say that the number of genuine attempts at fun levels outweighs the terrible ones. The only bad point I would mention in this department is that the game currently doesn't offer great community tools (searching, catagorising, etc). I keep coming across the same levels even though there must be thousands of them available (the 'Quick Play' option, which loads up a random level is pretty handy for trying new levels).

But the game looks fantastic, it really sounds fantastic, has great music, and if you want to create your own levels then the tools are pretty easy to use and you can do some very interesting stuff with them.

And automatic depth switching isn't as bad as Yahtzee's diagram suggests (which makes it seem like you'll randomly die when making a simple jump).

I will reiterate: LBP is a very good game. It is extremely polished and the story mode is quite fun with some beautiful level design, and generally very kooky humour that is enjoyable if you can enjoy something like that without saying "uhh this game is for kids".

I guess it all depends on what you are after. LittleBigPlanet is a game for people who enjoy exploring, experiencing interesting designs, non-violent gameplay (except for the burning the stabbing the spiking the electrifying and the squishing, and the blowing things up).
Creative people should consider looking into LBP as well, for obvious reasons. Even if you never open up the editor, the game levels are full of interesting designs. The story part of LBP is as much an art canvas as it is a game.

It would not appeal to an adrenaline-junkie (although some of the mini-games can get quite intense if you are good enough to get far into them).

I can't help but feel that Yahtzee is nowadays giving people what he thinks they want rather than writing properly considered reviews. Yes I know he has always been very hard when it comes to reviewing games, but recently a lot of the bad points he brings up feel like they are there just for the sake of saying something bad and keeping his rep going, rather than making an actual point. Time for a holiday?

Gollon

Jan 16, 2008
Sweet jesus I hate googly eyes they are worse than all the horrors in the world combined.