Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
So good my girlfriend watched it and even laughed and she doesn't like the "sweary bloke who talks too fast".

Loved the eyes on arse bit - the ending could've been fantastic , don't get me wrong, it was inspired and brilliant but was missing that one last thing - fade to black, wait one second, air biscuit :D

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
Good rant, funny, enjoyable, hit on the points I was looking for...

but did it actually ever even get a yay or nay? As far as I can tell there was never any real for-or-against sort of thing here which is unusual, at least to me. Its not a bad thing per say but I was genuinely interested in whether or not he would recommend it.

Amoreyna

Jan 12, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
CrafterMan said:
beddo said:
It's really annoying to see so many posts by people who must immediately proclaim that they agree with Yahtzee.
Why?

For all you know, they might?
These are people without the game, so they aren't entitled to the opinions he goes over in this (i.e. they have no idea what the content is like, they have no idea what the controls are like, so on and so forth)
And I suppose all the comments before Beddo's that were made by people that own the game, like the game yet still thought the review was funny don't count? There were also several people who said they owned the game and got the same impressions that he got.

It's really tiring to see the constant assumptions on here that those who agree with Yatzhe must be rabid fanboys who can't think for themselves. Yes people comment that don't own the game. *gasp* The horror! I mean, how dare they have an opinion about anything until they waste dozens of hours of their life playing it. They should all be banned.

It may surprise you Dingo that you don't have to play a game to have an opinion of it. You can watch the trailors for it, read reviews, even watch actual game play on YouTube to help you decide if you want to shell out $50 for a pile of junk or not.

I will never be playing LBP unless they port it to something else. But even after that I would still be hesitant because I am disastified with the way games are going now-a-days: i.e. developers design part and then you make up the rest while convincing yourself that your having fun. Level designers are all well and good, but when you are paying $50-70 for a game you generally want something that was designed by a professional and guarantees ample game play. I mean you are paying them in order to play the game. There may be wonderous levels designed by other users but that's not how I want to play my games and a lot of people feel the same way. Just becuase I haven't played LBP doesn't mean that my own personal feelings on UGC are less valid.

zohmbee

Feb 21, 2008
I knew he was going to do LittleBigPlanet this week. x3

Awesomely funny review- I loved this game and I had to agree ( and laugh ) at everything you had to say about it.

And if I ever find out that that's Yahtzee's ass in the freaky googly-eyed pants, I swear to God, I'm going to start laughing and never stop.

LegionSeere

Feb 3, 2009
Well...that was different lol made me say wtf out loud at an ass with googly eyes shaking about at me all of a sudden.

and sorry but I just can't emphasize about not having an air conditioner through the summer months in Australia cause I haven't lived with one in the 20 years I've lived here in N.S.W :p

Amoreyna

Jan 12, 2009
merkaba48 said:
UGC is a bad thing? OK, then we should cease all sales of paints, musical instruments, postings of pictures on the internet, etc, because we don't want to see all that bad 'user generated stuff', right?

Stop being idiots. UGC is only a good thing. Okay, if you were ONLY getting UGC with LBP then that might be a different matter, but considering it has a fine quality single player story mode with it, I don't see what there is to complain about. Stop hinging on every word Yahtzee says as if he is delivering golden nuggets of insight, most of the time he's talking out of his arse in a funny way.

LittleBigPlanet is a fantastic game, one of the best on the market at the moment. You'd be a fool not to consider buying it just because Yahtzee has not given a glowing review.

I mean, for fucks sake, LEGO INDIANA JONES got a more positive sounding review than this, and that game is boring as hell. LBP is a wonder of imagination and creativity, balled up in some simple but tested-true gameplay.

I really think Yahtzee has lost the plot somewhere. Zero Punctuation feels like it has become a joyless job to him and it has lost the spark of ingenuity it used to have.

The only really bad thing about LBP is that it is not very difficult. The story mode is pretty much a theme park ride, but that doesn't mean you won't die a lot. It's just that with three lives per checkpoint, you'll rarely come across a section where you die completely and have to restart the level. Because of this, there is not a lot of challenge in the game; but it is still fun, and you will still die frequently.
1. You seem to be missing the fact that people can have a different opinion from yours. While you may think it's the best game ever - a lot of people don't agree with you, and many of them have played the game. Just because they aren't impressed with it doesn't mean that they are unthinking fan-boys. People like Lego Indiana Jones, you didn't. That's okay. That's why we have th right to state opinions in the free world.

2. Comparing UGC made with a simplistic level designer to paint, music, art etc created by unlimited creative potential is a bit over-doing it don't you think? No one is going to become the next Dali because of a level they created in LBP. Plus you aren't paying to wade through someone pictures in the real world. You are when you buy games like LBP that rely heavily on UGC - which is why some of us have a problem with it.

Psychochik

Feb 4, 2009
Finally, a response to this game that makes for total vindication.

Any game that could be better re-enacted with a sock puppet deserves a good hard smack, an armfull of lit TNT, and a 'foot to arse' out the door.

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Oh dear God the filler! The filler! Brain... Dribbling... From... Earholes...

Presumably the Cochlea.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Imagine having someone walk in on you filming your own ass with googly eyes.

It must be awkward level 54.

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
Good rant, funny, enjoyable, hit on the points I was looking for...

but did it actually ever even get a yay or nay? As far as I can tell there was never any real for-or-against sort of thing here which is unusual, at least to me. Its not a bad thing per say but I was genuinely interested in whether or not he would recommend it.
Then consider my opinion, being an avid gamer and professional game designer, and someone whose opinions of great games generally fall in line with Yahtzee's (Thief being my all time favourite game); I believe LBP is worth your money if you enjoy exploration, innocent fun (that is, no blood and guts), kooky humour, creativity, and don't mind a game that will not challenge you too deeply in the area of gameplay. That is without considering Create mode and playing other people's levels, which is another matter as they require more effort than playing the single player game.

It is very easy to make your own stuff. Making interesting things though requires effort and some passion for the craft, so if you're interested in that sort of thing then LBP is an excellent sandbox for ideas, and there is a very large scope of possibilities using the game engine for gameplay that is not platform-based (e.g. one of the game mini-games is using a jetpack to navigate through an endless tunnel of electrified walls, feeling somewhat like the spaceship section of Turrican 2).

There is very little bad about this game; most of its negatives are in the UI and internet functionality.

Just to reiterate my earlier point; LEGO Indiana Jones got a more positive sounding review than LittleBigPlanet. I dare anyone to play both games and decide that this is fair; no matter what ones opinions of LBP might be, LIJ is nowhere near as worthy of your money. Nowhere near.

P1p3s

Jan 16, 2009
while you make a good point (or I could be hypnotised by the googly eyes) I still have an overwhelming desire to play this, but a distinct lack of desire to buy a PS3.

This may all be explained by my second X chromosome.

darksaiyan

Oct 14, 2008
I loved this episode... was just awesome (and made of chocolate). The part with the googly eyes on his butt at the end was scary and tacky, yet incredibly in style with the game. Never played it yet, but LBP does have its attraction.

Ajspeed

Feb 4, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee at the end, Why didnt this Have any relation to LBA when i first heard about it excited till i read the name again