Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

yanamal

Sep 19, 2007
seems like the *technical* quality was down a bit in this episode, as in I'm pretty sure I could hear when he spliced different takes together. A lot. sometimes in the middle of the sentence.

bride_of_lister

Dec 12, 2007
So the 40 degree heat here got to him too.

(That's 104 F for the backwards country as well as Liberia and Burma)

MarwoodBramwell

Feb 4, 2009
jjpenguin said:
meh, didnt find it funny myself...valid points though, Yahtzee doesn't seem to get UGC, the point is that there WILL be an extortianite amount of sh*t, but saturated with brilliance
Saturated? Is that ACTUALLY what you mean?

Not little tiny neddles of moderateness buried under the dross?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Man YZ is back on top form I struggled to find some of the final 2008 reviews funny but 09 has been some of his best

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
Amoreyna said:
1. You seem to be missing the fact that people can have a different opinion from yours. While you may think it's the best game ever - a lot of people don't agree with you, and many of them have played the game. Just because they aren't impressed with it doesn't mean that they are unthinking fan-boys. People like Lego Indiana Jones, you didn't. That's okay. That's why we have th right to state opinions in the free world.

2. Comparing UGC made with a simplistic level designer to paint, music, art etc created by unlimited creative potential is a bit over-doing it don't you think? No one is going to become the next Dali because of a level they created in LBP. Plus you aren't paying to wade through someone pictures in the real world. You are when you buy games like LBP that rely heavily on UGC - which is why some of us have a problem with it.
Thanks for the reply,

1. I understand that opinions vary. My point was to not formulate a conclusion based solely on Yahtzee's opinion, or in this review more of a lack of opinion. I like Yahtzee's reviews but I don't agree with them all, even though some of his favourite games are mine also. I believe that Yahtzee's reviews are all relative to his expectations of a game, hence why LEGO Indiana Jones (which would have generally low expectations) got a generally positive review while LBP (which would have generally high expectations) got an inconclusive one. I think if LBP had more original gameplay aspects then it would have gotten a more positive review, but that does not mean that what LBP *does* have is not worthy of experiencing.

2. I think the comparison is fair. Personally I consider game design to be an artform, and LBP offers a canvas to create with; admittedly within the confines of the LBP engine, but every medium has limitations. You can pretty much paint in LBP, scuplt within its planar confines, and make your creations interactive; there is no pressure to always make platform levels and many of the best user levels for LBP are very artistic.

Could a LBP creator become the next Dali? To LBP players, yes, they can. Getting world-wide appeal however is tricky as the only people who can experience a person's art fully is by owning and playing the game, and anyone who is not familiar with LBP will not comprehend fully what they are seeing. The same is also true of paintings; to a person unfamiliar with painting as an artform, I imagine it would be difficult for them to comprehend that what they are seeing is a work of genius if presented with one.

Anyway, also it is somewhat unfair to say you are paying $50 or whatever for UGC that may be crap, whilst ignoring the presence of multiplayer and the story mode, which has some excellent levels and does have replayability, albeit mostly in the form of mini-games (of which the game has over 25). Even if you consider that to be not enough for you, the presence of UGC and the ability to make your own creations means in time you are guarenteed to be able to experience new levels that are on par or even better than the original set.

Auron555

Jun 15, 2008
ahhhhh...... the eyes.... the terrible eyes....
Great review, there were some good lines in this one, like, um... chocolate.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Bit odd review, imo... he seems to flee from his short mention that the level design is overall really awesome and also completely seems to forget to mention the overall "fun factor" of the campaign altogether. So, this was a review of some bits of the game, but not of the game itself.

I agree with most of the things he said, though: The game is just disarmingly cute, the controls are a bit too soft overall and the level design is awesome. The thing I disagree with him about is that the game is basically just a platform for UGC. It isn't. The campaign lasted a friend and me roughly a full weekend. One day for the first play-through, another day for finding most of the items hidden.
That's about the same I get from any other single-player game except for vast RPGs. So, LBP actually features a full-blown campaign, which is simply a lot of fun, especially in local coop.
UGC can be good, but mostly you have to wade through a ton of crap before you actually get to a decent map, because for some odd reason there are tons of idiots that rate maps high that only exist to let players gain trophies.
Still, the map editor is pretty powerful and works surprisingly well, considering you only have analog sticks and a few buttons to work with, and some folks actually manage to put pretty cool levels together.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
UncleScar said:
I really can't "get" the fuss over LBP...
Wow, where have I heard this statement before...

Halo, SSBB...

Anyhoo, fun review as usual though a bit more disturbing. Those boxers are going to haunt my nightmares. Also the little bit with the character looking and games and guns really makes me wonder why the hunting equipment is right next to the video games in my local big-box department store.

I also find something rather dirty about the exclaiming of "sticking googly-eyes all over your mission hub," then dancing around with said eyes on your arse.

Garek Karn

Jul 16, 2008
This is my first post on any of Yahtzees work and tbh it was gd I havnt bought LBP yet but I will but the thing that pissed me of were people like "The Amazing Orgazmo" who I dought have even touched a girl in their misrable lives unless it was there mum. Yahtzee is a commic genius as far as im conserned. What Im trying to say is I would like to see you lot come up with some thing as funny as zero punctuation. In fact I dare you to?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Garek Karn said:
This is my first post on any of Yahtzees work and tbh it was gd I havnt bought LBP yet but I will but the thing that pissed me of were people like "The Amazing Orgazmo" who I dought have even touched a girl in their misrable lives unless it was there mum. Yahtzee is a commic genius as far as im conserned. What Im trying to say is I would like to see you lot come up with some thing as funny as zero punctuation. In fact I dare you to?
...what?

Also, keep in mind that Yahtzee is just another man with an opinion. He ragged on Too Human, and I hear many others think it is a good horde killing game.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Yahtzee does read messages to his mailbox, if they are coherent.

*He reviewed condemned 2 after my freiend messaged him, and Mercenaries 2 after I did the same*

Musical-Wheelchair

Jan 30, 2009
I don't know, I thought it was lacking. I believe he already brushed up against user-created content in a previous review/s, which ended up being half the video's focus. Yahtzee himself said the review was a bit short (usually he's a little bare on review elements in general due to various restrictions, but particularly so here).

I mainly keep tabs on the series for the humor, but the jokes were minimal. This week was just... lacking.

Vuux

Feb 5, 2009
I can't seem to get this video to work. I click on the play button, and it acts like it's loading, then gives me an error message (not a windows/internet error, but apparently some sort of error with the video and "Stream"). I tried some other videos, as well, and got the same result. I even updated my Adobe. Any suggestions?

twilinova07

Nov 26, 2008
another good review, the whole googly eyes pants had me laughing. so did the stutering and then resorting to choclate labels.

But im still going to pick this up though because i heard the level design is top notch and the level creater sounds fun. it would also give my brother the oppurtunity to make the most difficult levels he could think of and then watch me beat them to screw with his head.