Zero Punctuation: Mailbag Showdown

Ptrack_Git

Apr 6, 2008
The most funny rev... well, video, in a while (maybe since Burnout). On top of that it officially turned wednesday into "Flame the boards 'till your cock falls of day" which is equally funny, except I'm not a big enough looser to read through 12 pages (and counting) of your BS arguments; and if you think that it is worth while to try and convince someone else to like something than maybe you missed the point of liking something. Idiots.
BTW I like Smash Bros. so don't bother flaming me you insufferable pricks.

AlissaX70

Apr 24, 2008
Kaos Incarnate said:
To be honest, looking at the controls of Melee if it is similar, with the gamecube controller I don't think you can button mash on Brawl
You can't, really, not if you want to play it half well... in fact to SSB(M/B)'s credit, the controls are the one thing I really like about those games.
The downside of SSBB is that its better to play it with a Gamecube controller than a Wiimote (spelling?)

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
cmdr_zoom said:
That was excellent. Especially the proofreading.
Oh, man! The proofreading! How did I forget that? That was excellent to say the least. It baffles me how so many of those e-mailers thought they could shake a hired critic, much less freakin' Yahtzee, with such poor grammar and spelling.

Silver_Wyvern280

May 7, 2008
Ah the internet, just one giant worldly forum everyone shouts out their thoughts at the same time. Avoiding the argument that this Sentient individual started, yet I do need to point out the worthlessness of his comments, they based off of others opinions of people who fed into the propaganda:

1) Tripping. A pointless addition that only hinders the game play: "How are you able to validate that it hinders the game play if you never played the game?"

2) Clones. They're still here, even after we were promised they'd be gone. "Companies throw out empty promises to promote themselves. Also in fighting games, their will always be that fight with a clone of yourself, no matter how much you try to randomize it, and overall regardless of how unrealistic it is, it is just a minor little nitpick."

3) Release date. It's taken too long to be released in Europe: "Wait, just calm down and wait. I know your excited but do something else to spend your time. You have only waited about 4 years for the game. Starcraft fans are awaiting their sequel after it was just annoyed last year, Team fortress fans finally got their sequel after over 10 years. Fallout fans have had their game series raped with cop-out, above average fan games before the rights was sold to another game company all together, they now awaited for the 3rd installment worrying on how it will never be like the original two.

4) Some series are horribly over-represented, whilst others are under-represented. "I am sorry, but only a fanboy would care about such a useless and trivial thing. Proof that this is not your own opinion but one you took from fan boys."

5) Very similar to Melee. "All this points out to is Nintendo's game remaking habit, they just added better graphics, online play, more items and characters to the game. Not at all game flaw, minor or critical, I figure many people enjoy the new span of characters to use and the online play to the game.

You call these "real flaws" because people on forums have all concluded they are, not because you played the game yourself and experienced them. Well "flaws" are really numbers 1,2; 3 4 and 5 don't even count as flaws, but others opinion. Yet somehow, regardless of you agreeing with Yathzee or not, his criticism is his own, after playing the game. You yourself have not, thus rendering your comments invalid.

Kaos Incarnate

May 7, 2008
Flaming-Gerbil said:
Kaos Incarnate said:
s0denone said:
Kaos Incarnate said:
Same could be said for the Playstation and X-box side aswell, but then again most people are biased to certain consoles, that they don't admit it.
Care to name a few titles? Will be happy to agree/disagree with you. I might be a little biased, as I only own the xbox 360, but I still can't think of a game that is just a recycle of the same old bull.

With the exceptions of all sport games, but that goes for all consoles, and the PC.
Well considering the guy says three games in a series is "recycling" I would say

Halo
GTA
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts

and many more for any console, i'm not saying these out of spite, I do own a 360 as well as a Wii, but people can be a little short sighted to a console they love.
At least Halo progresses a storyline (albeit a piss weak one), since when has a game involving Mario or in fact any of the other annoyingly recycled characters done that?
As I said I don't care about characters being recycled but what I find stupid is for people to start bashing a games series that only has 3 games in it. Sure I wouldn't have said Halo if it wasn't for someone saying 3 games in a series is enough, but I wouldn't have said anything if he mentioned Mario or Zelda series.

Cowtippers

May 5, 2008
Wow.. Just wow..

The name "Sentient" is obviously not something that relates in any way to the person who uses it.

He´s the type of guy who says "Daikatana is awesome cuz it´s on a Nintendo console lolol!!1!u suk!!eleven!".. Okay maybe with better grammar than that, but you get the point. If you can´t take someone else having different opinions than you, then take a hike. Or better yet... Take.. A really long nap and realize that you can´t go on living a life where you EXPECT everyone to share your views.

QUOTE: "Wow. How hard did you try in order to completely misunderstand my post as much as you have? I have no problem with someone disliking Brawl. What I do have a problem with is when someone hates on a game and has no real reasons for doing it, and then a bunch of ass-kissers follow his lead and start hating that game without reason too." UN-QUOTE.

- Ass-kissers? Hold on here.. Just because we like him and share his views doesn´t mean that we´re kissing his ass! Look closely at this: "I have no problem with someone disliking Brawl." Then why the fuck are you complaining loudly about it? You´re trying to drag his entire review of SSBB down in the mud, and you´re saying that you don´t have a problem with the review?

Wow.. Just wow..

Espics

May 7, 2008
hilarious

with on significant drawback:

now that he has gone ahead and done a fanmail reply he will be HOUNDED to do another since now A) people think he'll reply to their critism of his critism, B) people thought it was hilarious and want more, C) because of 'B' people will intentionally write messages to him to try and provoke this, and D) people who were upset will message and it'll probable alot will be flaming which is provocative and easy to rip it out of for the sake of humour.

just ask the Dattebayo fan subbing group. (god bless them for bleach and naruto subs of such quality)

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
Wouldn't two way glass be regular glass...?
I imagine he meant one-way glass. Don't want the crazies to think anyone's looking at them, after all.

Two way glass lets you look out but people outside can't see you.
Surely that'd be "one-way".

ParoXoN

Nov 21, 2007
Silver_Wyvern280 said:
Two way glass lets you look out but people outside can't see you.
I was under the impression that was one way glass. I.e. it is transparent in one direction only.

Krishaaan

May 7, 2008
Sentient said:
MRMIdAS2k said:
So, you've not played the game, yet know the faults Yahtzee came up with don't exist?
Yes, I do. See, there's this amazing thing called the internet, it lets you find out a lot of stuff, even information on games that you haven't played! Amazing, huh? Add that to the fact that I've played Melee to death, and a lot of the complaints Yahtzee has about Brawl apply to Melee too, and you'll find that I do know that Yahtzee is just pulling shit out of his arse.

Here are a list of the "faults" Yahtzee found in Brawl:

1) The camera zooms out too far.
2) The characters are obscured by effects.
3) You don't have everything from the start.
4) You have to unlock stuff in single player.
5) The Subspace Emissary is too long.
6) SSBB is a button masher.
7) Subspace Emissary cutscenes are like Nintendo fanfics.
8) Characters don't deserve to be in the game just because he doesn't know them.

How many of those are complete and utter bullshit? 8 of them. Oh wait, that's ALL of them.

1) The camera is fine, it doesn't zoom too far out at any time, so Yahtzee must have been playing this on a pathetically tiny television in order for this "fault" to have any validity.
2) This is just bullshit. The only times in the entire game where the characters are obscured by effects is when the Smoke Ball has been used (an item DESIGNED to obscure the characters).
3) OMIGOD! YOU HAVE TO UNLOCK STUFFZ? ZOMG THIS GAME SUCKZ!
4) Funny how nearly all of the single player modes can be played in co-op WITH SOMEONE ELSE. There goes that "fault".
5) Usually people complain when a game is too short. The Subspace Emissary's length is fine.
6) If Yahtzee honestly thinks SSBB is a button masher then he should just quit gaming right now.
7) I've never heard of a Nintendo fanfic that remotely resembles the Subspace Emissary. Yet another "fault" Yahtzee made up in a failed attempt at complaining about SSBB.
8) Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawww! He should go to Google and get over his ignorance.

Those were Yahtzee's 8 main "faults" he claimed SSBB had, and I just proved what utter bullshit they all are. I could easily make a list of faults SSBB has, and all of the points I'd raise would be valid and not imaginary. In fact, here's a list of the faults SSBB has:

1) Tripping. A pointless addition that only hinders the gameplay.
2) Clones. They're still here, even after we were promised they'd be gone.
3) Release date. It's taken too long to be released in Europe.
4) Some series are horribly over-represented, whilst others are under-represented.
5) Very similar to Melee.

There you go, five faults about SSBB, and what do you know? All of them are true! That wasn't hard to do, so what's Yahtzee's excuse?

MRMIdAS2k said:
Yahtzee highlights what is essentially a massive FUCK YOU from brawl which is PLAY AS SONIC (after countless fucking HOURS playing, FFS I finished GTA4 before my friend unlocked brawl fully. (and by that I mean got all the characters)) when shit like that happens it's not fun (which brawl is supposed to be), as you're doing the same shit, fighting the same fucking people on the same fucking level over and fucking over until you get a message going "you've played long enough, have a character that 0.1% of westerners give half a fuck about, oh BTW sonics still a fuckload of hours away, enjoy".
You do realize that how long you play Brawl for doesn't factor at all into unlocking any characters, don't you? Obviously not, or else you wouldn't have just made a twat out of yourself.

Edderz1989 said:
FANBOY!!!
Oh, I'm so hurt. I just got called a fanboy by some dick who blatantly doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Edderz1989 said:
ow and what the hell do you mean "don't review it becasue you'll get half of the complaints". who here can say hand on heart that they'ed watch yahtzee if he didn't rip games to peices.
He could at least find some real things to complain about. He obviously couldn't do that about Brawl (god knows how, it's not hard to do).

mspencer82 said:
The word is existent.
Aawww. That's so cute. You're trying to copy Yahtzee by being a spelling nazi! Go stand in a field you fucking sheep.

mspencer82 said:
Why are you so bothered by someone not liking Brawl?
Wow. How hard did you try in order to completely misunderstand my post as much as you have? I have no problem with someone disliking Brawl. What I do have a problem with is when someone hates on a game and has no real reasons for doing it, and then a bunch of ass-kissers follow his lead and start hating that game without reason too.

mspencer82 said:
You say he shouldn't have reviewed it if he didn't want to, but at the same time your fellow Brawl fanatics (and likely you) begged him to review it. Was he just supposed to ignore those requests if he didn't like the game? Is that what a reviewer does now, only review games they like?
Nice assumption about me, shame it isn't true. I never begged him to review it. Ever. Yes, I was looking forward to him reviewing it, but that's because I thought he'd be clever enough to rip the game about it's actual faults like the fact you can randomly trip over. Obviously I overestimated his intelligence.

mspencer82 said:
What exactly were these non-existent flaws that Yahtzee pointed out?
See above.

Edderz1989 said:
THANK YOU.
STFU.
You havnt played it.

He has

just because you have the internet doesnt make you an expert on anything.

You based your argument on other peoples arguments that you dont even know

Please use your braincell and think about this for a second.

I hope you are crushed under the weight of your own stupidity.

Silver_Wyvern280

May 7, 2008
Looked it up in Google, this is what came out:

"A two-way mirror, also called a one-way mirror, is mirror which is partially reflective and partially transparent. It is used with a darkened room on one side and a well-lit room on the other, allowing those in the darkened room to see into the lighted room but not vice versa."

So in a way, both names are correct.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
It bugged me a little that Yathzee stooped to the conservative pundit tactic of quoting the most moronic of your opposition then making fun of them. I agree with Yathzee's points and was greatly amused by both this ZP and the SSBB. However there was that nagging voice in the back of my head saying "didn't Rush Limbaugh do this?"

I am not really expecting Yathzee to take the high road here, but as the saying goes "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery." Do we really want Yathzee to be flattering Rush Limbaugh?