Zero Punctuation: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Heh. I remember those old, ridiculous challenging games.
Psycho Soldier was always a favourite. Jumping up and down, trying to avoid everything ever including hordes of bees that could kill you in one hit, as could everything else and boy did they like to spawn. Fun power ups though. The boss fights were rather odd though. The final boss you are fighting a flying dragons heart which is in fact impossible to kill in one go. Most of the other bosees present you with a building with some nasties in and shrugged it's shoulders. You won by doing what you did to kill all the enemies, spamming everything you have at it.
I could get to the third level boss without needing to continue and that's an achievement, believe you me.

Awful game but it has a place in my heart. Partly due to Athena Asamiya's debut performance and the award winning Engrish. FIGHT ON!

Oh, and I used to like Luigi better than Mario but because I prefered green to red. I stopped playing Mario when I was about 5.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, eviscerating a Mario game seems like a little too easy of a target. Yahtzee's at his best when he's showing pompous or oddly popular games to be emperors with no clothes on, not when he's kicking retarded dogs.

noncon

Sep 11, 2009
Garaw said:
Yeah, eviscerating a Mario game seems like a little too easy of a target. Yahtzee's at his best when he's showing pompous or oddly popular games to be emperors with no clothes on, not when he's kicking retarded dogs.
Except he said the game was pretty good, just too easy. Mario games are only bad, from what I've seen, when they're party games, and even then they're still perfectly good for party games, even if not as good as Raving Rabids. Super Mario Galaxy? Great game and easily one of the best. New Super Mario Bros DS? Good, but far too easy. In fact, the only case I can think of of a non-party Mario game not being good is the DS version of Super Mario 64, and I'm not even speaking from experience with that one.

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
I've always liked the Mario & Luigi series for the same reasons. The writing is hilarious and the gameplay is quite rewarding.

The new addition in the series made me cringe when I heard the title. I've yet to pick it up because the concept sounds horrible.

Anyways, good review.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
noncon said:
Except he said the game was pretty good, just too easy.
I took 'digestive nadir' to be a pretty negative summary. But I admit that it's hard to tell sometimes.

At any rate, Yahtzee's trained us to expect quality bile, whether he likes the game or not. And imho it's better spent elsewhere.

RogueLament

the Pony
Jun 26, 2009
Luigi is my favorite game dude and going in to this video I thought I'd be disappointing but Yahtzee has made my day. This is got to be my favorite video yet. =)

RogueLament

the Pony
Jun 26, 2009
lee1287 said:
i agree, luigi over mario.

but sonic over tails.
Tails is way better. Who can choose speed (they run at the same speed so that's not even an argument) over flight. Jeez.

JoeX111_v1legacy

Apr 28, 2009
Man, I'm sick of that Escapist News Network ad. "Hoorah! We're unfunny nerds with no sense of comic timing trying to be like the Daily Show for video games! Aren't we just as clever as all hell!"

Alex_Mexico

Oct 22, 2009
Yes, Super Mario RPG is truly awesome. I still hope for a sequel made by Square.

Also, I demand your Uncharted 2 review ASAP. I clearly remember you bashing on Uncharted 1 and Im very curious how the vastly superior sequel fared with you.

noncon

Sep 11, 2009
Garaw said:
I took 'digestive nadir' to be a pretty negative summary. But I admit that it's hard to tell sometimes.
He also said that you could have a good enough time with it on a plane flight, just so long as it wasn't too long a time. Coming from Yahtzee, that's practically a recommendation.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
I always liked Tails more than Sonic, and Luigi more than Mario too. Heh, nice to see other people think that way :)

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Another obscure yet funny game review. I also agree that the so-called "sidekicks" of the main character of the game sometimes have more backstory or is even more likeable than the main character himself. Thus I liked Tails better.

Oh how I wish Yahtzee reviews Brutal Legends and Borderlands. I would wait no matter how long it takes. I like his nitpicks and also we have certain affinities in single player modes.

Vect

Jul 22, 2009
tmujir955 said:
I agree with the Tails + Sonic bit. And Brutal Legend next, PLEASE?
That'll probably depend on when it's coming out in Australia. Still, chances are good that he'll give that one a lookover since Yahtzee's a big fan of Tim Schafer's work.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
mobsterlobster said:
randommaster said:
I just watched this, but I have no audio. While I'm sure there is some context behind it, Yahtzee shooting that kid in the head was funny.

I wonder what else he's playing on the DS?
I love that having no audio didn't stop you from watching it anyway. I've never thought about watching Yahtzee's videos on mute but I really want to now.
It works better for some videos than others. For examle, you can guess that he's complaining about children when he shots that kid in the head, but the "poo and failure" sign is kind of nonsensical. I wish I could remember which videos are the funniest with no audio.

Destroy Gundam

Feb 20, 2009
I have fond memories of the Mario RPGs as well. Granted, the last one I played was on the SNES, but still.

I might give this one a try, but I'm surprised it's out. Oh well. I got more than a few laughs out of this one. A good video, all in all.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
It's a Mario game....Last one that I played that I actually enjoyed that wasn't because of nostalgia was Super Mario 64...they've been solid games since just don't have the same charm they used to.