Zero Punctuation: Medal of Honor Warfighter & Doom 3 BFG Edition

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
gigastar said:
Well, if thats the reaction that Medal of Honor got, id love to see what Yahtzee makes of Black Ops 2.
I wonder if he'll even bother. I'm pretty sure he picks the games himself and picking something as popular as a CoD game gets views, but he really seemed burned out on the genre after this. Maybe he'll just mention it in a review for some other game and be done with it. Mere speculation, ofcourse.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sylveria said:
Yopaz said:
It's funny how people accuse him of not liking shooter when some of the games he give the most praise (Half-Life and Painkiller) are shooters.

I'm going to accuse him of not liking survival horror games for the bad review he gave Resident Evil 5.

I guess none of the titles he reviewed seems appealing to me. I guess I like modern shooters a tad more than he does, but only because he really, really hates them. Hilarious as always though.
He doesn't like dudebro-shooters where you, as a player, are largely unnecessary. Doom 3, Painkiller and Serious Sam were made for people who want to play shooters. COD and BF and MOHFloorfighter were made for people who want to hide behind sacks of sand and scream racist terms in to their head-sets.
Wow, thanks for informing me about that, I did not know that. It's not like he said anything about that in his review or that I said it's silly to think he dislikes shooters in my comment or something.

Neiloken

Aug 20, 2009
ok since ol ZP is making a comparison between COD and real shooters (thank ronswanson) i now call he must play Halo 4... After years of being subjected to "i'll just sit here and wait for my team to kill everything" shooters I decided to start Halo4 on heroic (used to finish every halo on legendary) and oh crikey did I get my cheeks served to me on a silver platter...

Being el solo once more has proven to be very difficult and VERY exciting!! Ok mind I've only played the first few missions but I have high hopes this game will continue kicking my ass...

Oh ya, and to put the whole xbox vs ps3 on graphics thing to rest. All u PS fanboys, organize an HDTV, Xbox 360 Slim, and Halo 4... it is honestly prettier than anything I've ever seen on a screen in my entire life...

Peace x 3

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
So who else is going to try their hardest to make sure that spunkgargleweewee catches on?

Now here's a serious question though...

Bioshock = Shooter, right? But would Bioshock 2 = Spunkgargleweewee

And from what I've seen the next Bioshock will be back up to Shooter.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
You know it's a good day when Yahtzee calls COD players, "Ignorant little bastards." I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard at a Zero Punctuation.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
I don't normally go in for sycophancy, but I'd like to give a slow clap for 4:36 - 5:00.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I don't know why, but this is probably one of the best reviews lately. Not that the other recent once have been bad, this one was just funnier. Oddly enough, I've recently begun playing Painkiller_ Black Edition (again), so this video does feel a bit topical. Especially once I realized how much fun it was to bunny hop around the battlefield with a shotgun in one hand, and the Stake-gun in the other.

Especially loved the line "Stick your balls up your arse, and clench yourself castrated"...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Neiloken said:
ok since ol ZP is making a comparison between COD and real shooters (thank ronswanson) i now call he must play Halo 4... After years of being subjected to "i'll just sit here and wait for my team to kill everything" shooters I decided to start Halo4 on heroic (used to finish every halo on legendary) and oh crikey did I get my cheeks served to me on a silver platter...

Being el solo once more has proven to be very difficult and VERY exciting!! Ok mind I've only played the first few missions but I have high hopes this game will continue kicking my ass...

Oh ya, and to put the whole xbox vs ps3 on graphics thing to rest. All u PS fanboys, organize an HDTV, Xbox 360 Slim, and Halo 4... it is honestly prettier than anything I've ever seen on a screen in my entire life...

Peace x 3
Yeah, if you're expecting to let your teammates in Halo do anything you're going to let yourself get laughed at by any experienced Halo player. UNSC marines on any difficulty higher than Normal tend to have a life span of 20 seconds, and letting them drive is just suicidal. Incidentally I'm not a fan of COD style shooters myself and it's why I like Halo...I just don't like people who jump on the people that like them and says that they're not real shooter fans. Just rings as "no true Scotsman"

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
YES! THANK YOU, YAHTZEE!

Alright...Modern Warcrapmakers, pay attention to this man. THIS is what a shooter is supposed to be! Bring THIS kind of gameplay back!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
MorganL4 said:
You know..... I think the "spunkgargleweewee" thing has some merit........ maybe a DIFFERENT name, but having a different title for the modern military shooter would probably benefit the industry, because right now everyone seems to think that they need to copy COD if they are going to do a MMS...... there we go

The MMS vs the FPS. That is what we need.
MMS is already taken- by Massive Multiplayer Shooters (like Planetside for example)

But SGWW perfectly embodies all ridiculous things CoD, BF and MoH stand for

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Sylveria said:
erttheking said:
Funny review I admit that, but I am getting a little tired of people who like games like COD being accused of not being "real" shooter fans.
They're not real shooter fans. They're wall-hugging simulator fans and wouldn't survive a single level in a game where they didn't have a barricade of sand to hide behind while waiting for their health to regenerate.
Uh. No.

When I got into the shooter genre, I started out with Call of Duty. Then I went to playing Half Life and Painkiller later on and did just fine.

Each of these types of game are shooters, there is just different tiers of shooter.

Aug 31, 2012
You could really feel the hatred in his voice this time, this wasn't just criticism for the sake of the review, it felt like he was very genuinely angered by the whole concept of Warfighter.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Funny, I just downloaded Painkiller* today and holy hell it is fun. Combine the game with Sepultura/Misfits and you get something better than most realistic shooters combined. The SGWW's are low on all that "fun" thingy anyway so it's not very fair.

It doesn't have to actually be like that all the time but you can expand on it. It's hilarious how games from 8 years ago (or very well 20 years ago, if you count Doom) can kick the crap out of most mainstream FPS that have come out recently. Battlefield 3 may look good, but so does Half-life 2 and at least HL2 has competent design. It's almost as funny as the word Warfighter.

*(I own it, the Triple Dose actually, but my dvd drive's busted and I can't be bothered to buy another one)

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Funny review Yahtzee.

I had no reason to get another MMS since I'm waiting to see how Blops 2 will turn out.

Regarding the BFG Edition I had no reason to try it out because I bought the old game and I liked it the way it was.Now I'm waiting patiently for Doom 4.

Wild_Marker

Mar 31, 2011
erttheking said:
Funny review I admit that, but I am getting a little tired of people who like games like COD being accused of not being "real" shooter fans.
I think he might be refering to people who have only played COD-Like shooters. If a "real" shooter fan happens to like CoD he doesn't instantly become a "fake" shooter fan. I actually know some people who would qualify as "Real" shooter fans that actually like CoD a bit.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
Man, he actually sounds angry when referring to the Spunkgargleweewee players, when he said "Ignorant little bastards" I heard some genuine rage there.

It's good that Yahtzee now likes Doom 3, it's always nice to see that he likes games that I like. I say this because that doesn't happen often enough (Borderlands 2).