Zero Punctuation: Medal of Honor Warfighter & Doom 3 BFG Edition

Barbara Romanowski

Nov 7, 2012
Since the acronym for "Modern Military Shooter" overlaps with "Massive Multiplayer Shooter" I propose to use the name "Present-day Military Shooter."

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
Sylveria said:
erttheking said:
Funny review I admit that, but I am getting a little tired of people who like games like COD being accused of not being "real" shooter fans.
They're not real shooter fans. They're wall-hugging simulator fans and wouldn't survive a single level in a game where they didn't have a barricade of sand to hide behind while waiting for their health to regenerate.
Uh. No.

When I got into the shooter genre, I started out with Call of Duty. Then I went to playing Half Life and Painkiller later on and did just fine.

Each of these types of game are shooters, there is just different tiers of shooter.
The very fact you are on this website means you are above average gamer

Most console gamers couldn't hit a shit without autoaim
The very fact of existence of "quickscope" technique proves it (don't aim, computer will aim for you)

My sad experience with auto-aim started with Halo:CE
I couldn't figure out why my aim is so off
Then I realized that computer is "correcting" my shots
For those who don't know, aim in Halo is "put-enemy-here-and-shoot" area (circle to be more precise)- that might be how it works on consoles, but it's totally useless on PCs
And that makes automatics nearly unusable for those experienced in games without aim correction
So I ended up using only scoped weapons (pistol, sniper rifle and rocket launcher) and shotgun

Only place where auto-correcting is acceptable is in RPG-FPS games
For example in MassEffect or Fallout3, where the skill represents how well your character can aim with particular weapon

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Why do you even bother playing them, you just don't get spunkgargleweewees Yahtzee.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
C117 said:
I don't know why, but this is probably one of the best reviews lately. Not that the other recent once have been bad, this one was just funnier.
The combination of an insultingly bad game, and a critic that thrives of scornfully flaming games to hell and back make for good entertainment. Whenever Totalbiscuit or Yahtzee review games like this you just know you're in for a treat.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Sylveria said:
erttheking said:
Funny review I admit that, but I am getting a little tired of people who like games like COD being accused of not being "real" shooter fans.
They're not real shooter fans. They're wall-hugging simulator fans and wouldn't survive a single level in a game where they didn't have a barricade of sand to hide behind while waiting for their health to regenerate.
That's interesting*.

You know, I was actually going to respond to this post in a normal manner but I made the unfortunate decision of reading some of your older posts and I have to slooowly step back from this reply. Ever so slowly. Still facing you.

In all seriousness. You sir (or madam) seem to have some serious issues that I think require some professional attention.

*and by "interesting* I mean narrow-minded and prejudiced.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Yahtzee is always funnier when he's angrier.

Captcha is "Follow Me", so in using "captchas as orders" meme, my twitter is @DJSHIRE

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I'm happy he mentioned Resistance 3 as a proper shooter. That game was fantastic.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
I like that there's an unofficial subgenre for those games. MMS. Sure, it means "modern military shooters", but it could mean "mixed, minced sausages" for all I care as long as it stays the hell away from Doom.

Incidentally, Yahtzee should try Brutal Doom. I'd like to see/read/hear his opinion of that.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Glad he found a good time in the BFG Edition. Here's to hoping that Painkiller: Hell and Damnation will prove just as good for him, should he choose to review it.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
C117 said:
I don't know why, but this is probably one of the best reviews lately. Not that the other recent once have been bad, this one was just funnier.
I feel like he put real emotion into this one, not his usual smug detachment. I like smug detached Yahtzee, but genuinely irritated to the point of rage Yahtzee is even better.

Neiloken

Aug 20, 2009
MacNille said:
erttheking said:
Neiloken said:
ok since ol ZP is making a comparison between COD and real shooters (thank ronswanson) i now call he must play Halo 4... After years of being subjected to "i'll just sit here and wait for my team to kill everything" shooters I decided to start Halo4 on heroic (used to finish every halo on legendary) and oh crikey did I get my cheeks served to me on a silver platter...

Being el solo once more has proven to be very difficult and VERY exciting!! Ok mind I've only played the first few missions but I have high hopes this game will continue kicking my ass...

Oh ya, and to put the whole xbox vs ps3 on graphics thing to rest. All u PS fanboys, organize an HDTV, Xbox 360 Slim, and Halo 4... it is honestly prettier than anything I've ever seen on a screen in my entire life...

Peace x 3
Yeah, if you're expecting to let your teammates in Halo do anything you're going to let yourself get laughed at by any experienced Halo player. UNSC marines on any difficulty higher than Normal tend to have a life span of 20 seconds, and letting them drive is just suicidal. Incidentally I'm not a fan of COD style shooters myself and it's why I like Halo...I just don't like people who jump on the people that like them and says that they're not real shooter fans. Just rings as "no true Scotsman"
QFT brother.I'm so fucking tired of video game nerd hating on COD. Just ignore COD then if you hate it so fucking much!
I'm not hating on COD, COD is a good Multiplayer deathmatch game, and yes there were moments in COD MW1 that got the ol pulse racing (see sniper mission) but I do believe they should've toned down the AI support kick ass level...

To use an example, imagine playing Rainbow 6 and right as the main mission kicks in where its supposed to be you and some all ass kicking device like an Apache helicopter mono-e-mono (yes i dunno the real term) and you've survived through all the scripted missile launches and stuff and then all of a sudden, woosh! up pops random faceless nameless teammate A with a frikkin Deagle (desert eagle) and he gets in the final hit and the chopper goes kaboom... You did all the work, you did your best, you restarted like 60 times, but Sir WhatsHisFace over there blew up the chopper and you didnt. He's the hero, he gets all the loose women and you get a thanks for playing complimentary voucher to hooters.

The feeling is similar to Diablo suffering a fatal heart attack mid battle. Its a victory but the victory is dead and empty...

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Barbara Romanowski said:
Since the acronym for "Modern Military Shooter" overlaps with "Massive Multiplayer Shooter" I propose to use the name "Present-day Military Shooter."
So PMS it is then? Funnily enough, it also stands for (P)issing (M)e (S)Off, as in "This genre of shooters really pisses me soff."

Hmm...it doesn't really flow right off the tongue exactly. Spunkgargleweewee it is then.
F said:
I'm happy he mentioned Resistance 3 as a proper shooter. That game was fantastic.
Really the standout among the series, mainly because it's the only one where you aren't serving in the military and a lion's share of the experience is spent on your own. I think that's what made it better, in my humble opinion.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
M'kay, Yahtzee's criticism of how games like these are dull and boring due to regenerating health taking about a huge chunk of the challenge and cover mechanics making the fights tedious, this I can get behind (no pun intended). I can definitely see how having to fight while wounded helps ramp up challenge for a game and taking that away makes it less of a challenging game and more of a chore to do between cutscenes. Cover mechanics make good sense, especially if they were PAIRED with non-regenerating health, because in the event you're bleeding out you'd like the option to be more cautious I'd bet, but you need a smarter AI that will do stuff like try to flank you when you duck behind cover or will attack you with weapons that get around the cover, like grenades. Otherwise if you keep using the same brain dead kamikazi troop AI's that seem to plan to just move slowly towards you in the hopes their dead bodies will give you some kind of fatal illness, there's no challenge at all.

On Yahtzee's criticism of the story setting; yes, it's a bit of smaller audience that these games are trying to appeal to, mostly the type that like Tom Clancy novels. The modern military isn't exactly a thrill-a-minute subject because it's largely got to do with modern politics, and virtually everyone these days finds -that- particular subject nauseous. So I can't blame anyone for not finding this particular setting appealing, but neither would I blame other people for liking it; it's all a matter of preference.

Now, Yahtzee's criticism of the pro-U.S. military feel of these games. Oh please, give me a fucking break. It's one thing to criticize a game for failing to explain the reason you have to shoot an enemy (which he did), it's another thing to say the more advanced military force is the bad guy just because the enemies in a game aren't white or members of a 1st world nation (which he also did). Whether a fighting force is using a state-of-the-art, remote controlled kill-bot or a Cold War-era AK-47, if they're using said weapons to enact ethnic cleansing, religious genocide or politically motivated mass murder they're STILL THE FUCKING BAD GUYS. The Al Queda and the Taliban, for example, aren't sitting around in Armani suits, sipping Starbucks and watching flat screen tvs, but that doesn't make them any more justified for bombing department stores and markets or broadcasting videos of cutting kidnap victims' heads off.

Failing to give a proper explanation for player actions is a serious fault in a game. But being poor or a minority doesn't give anyone a free pass, either.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
One good thing about the 'brown locations' in Warfighter.
I live in Karachi, and the chase scene where it is shown is a kind of good recreation of it. I used to live 10 minutes from Empress Market shown in that scene and I actually recognized some of the buildings, like the KMC building and (I think) the Memon Masjid which were part of the scenery. And those people hanging on behind the bus does happen sometimes(they are the conductors, usually and they do it mostly to guide the bus through traffic jams like the one in that scene and they usually hang from the door, not at the back).
The street vendor part of Empress Market is something I have not seen and could be fake. It is actually a big building named after Empress Victoria and made in colonial times.

And no one here wears Arabic clothing, most people wear western clothing in Karachi. The game showing Arabic clothes looked like it was saying, look how different they are from us. A significant part of Karachi even speaks English as a second language(I am right now) and Dawn, an English newspaper, is one of the most popular newspapers in Karachi, probably just behind the Urdu, Jang newspaper.

But EA should have known one dirty secret about Empress Market, right next to it is the biggest pirated DVD hub in Asia, Rainbow Center. Strangely that was not in the game. And I think a lot of people here bought the game from that very place. The actual games costs Rs. 6000, and salaries and allowances are mostly too low to afford them, in Rainbow Center the game would have sold for Rs. 400 for PC or Rs. 500 for Xbox 360.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
So, I actually really liked MoH: Warfighter... It was a well crafted modern shooter. If it's not your thing, great! Good for you! But I feel like this game, like CoD and other "modern shooters" get undue hate just because they aren't something else. Something they're not trying to be. Just my two cents, though.

Bottom line: If you like CoD or Battlefield, you'll probably really like this. If you don't, you probably won't.