Zero Punctuation: Medal of Honor Warfighter & Doom 3 BFG Edition

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
WaitWHAT said:
You've already shown yourself to be more than happy to ignore points I've made in the past...
Uh, yeah. You did the same to me. So fair's fair.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Love how you decided that once you couldn't fling your shit at me, that you suddenly lose interest. Proves what your real priorities were.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I literally yelled 'NOTHING' along with Yahtzee at that specific moment. And I have already used the best insult in the episode for something. You know the one.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
ThatDarnCoyote said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you haven't played that mission. You play as part of a small team attacking a major pirate outpost on the Somali coast. While their weapons aren't as sophisticated as yours, they outnumber you by a significant margin. They have automatic weapons, RPGs, and LMG emplacements. They are dug in defensive positions and you are on the move. I got killed a number of times playing through that level. The "threat" felt as credible as it does in any other game.

If you take a "big-picture" view, yes, they are dwarfed by the theoretical might of the US military, but in the particular tactical situation, that's irrelevant. It's like saying the enemies in Arkham Asylum aren't a credible threat because they're just muscled-up inmates and you're the goddam Batman.
Well, no I haven't, but it does ring something like Mogadishu again, maybe not.

For the rest, I agree, guess we can put this to rest finally :D.

jounihat

Apr 21, 2010
OuroborosChoked said:
jounihat said:
Doom 3 is underrated. It's not a classic, but it's a nice mix of original Doom and System Shock 2.
Excuse me? How exactly is Doom 3 even remotely similar to System Shock 2? Because it has audio logs?
Audio logs and low ammo. The latter one gave me most of that SS2 feel. Maybe "mix" was a little too much though, because it's still 90% Doom and 10% SS2. SS2 is the best game ever, so nothing can compare to it, but it's obvious that id tried to borrow some of the stuff to Doom 3, like they tried to borrow Borderlands when they made Rage.

And yes, Bioshock was dog poo, but I didn't like Deus Ex either. It was too easy, so your choices didn't really matter. I finished SS2 with hard difficulty, and after the ending I wanted to throw the CD under a truck. I have tried to play the game again, but it hurts too much, I just can't do it anymore. The only game that has given me even remotely similar feelings is Demon's Souls. That is also a Game with a capital G, but in a different way than SS2.

Eric Staples

Aug 8, 2011
Another modern shooter, another time we get to hear Yahtzee tell us how much he hates chest high walls, regenerative health, ect. This guy's reviews are more repetitive than the games he's ragging on.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Neiloken said:
ok since ol ZP is making a comparison between COD and real shooters (thank ronswanson) i now call he must play Halo 4... After years of being subjected to "i'll just sit here and wait for my team to kill everything" shooters I decided to start Halo4 on heroic (used to finish every halo on legendary) and oh crikey did I get my cheeks served to me on a silver platter...

Being el solo once more has proven to be very difficult and VERY exciting!! Ok mind I've only played the first few missions but I have high hopes this game will continue kicking my ass...

Oh ya, and to put the whole xbox vs ps3 on graphics thing to rest. All u PS fanboys, organize an HDTV, Xbox 360 Slim, and Halo 4... it is honestly prettier than anything I've ever seen on a screen in my entire life...

Peace x 3
It's funny. I remember a time, not all that long ago before Call of Duty was king, that people blamed Halo for pretty much everything that was wrong with 'modern' shooters, for introducing such things as the two weapon limit, and in the case of Halo 2, Xbox LIVE.

Now, it almost seems like Halo stands as one of the last bastions against everything that people dislike about 'modern' shooters, with no iron sights, no chest high walls, interesting and varied sci-fi environments, lots of different enemy types and so on and so forth.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Yopaz" post="6.393087.15886958 said:
It's funny how people accuse him of not liking shooter when some of the games he give the most praise (Half-Life and Painkiller) are shooters.

I'm going to accuse him of not liking survival horror games for the bad review he gave Resident Evil 5.

I guess none of the titles he reviewed seems appealing to me. I guess I like modern shooters a tad more than he does, but only because he really, really hates them. Hilarious as always though.[/quote

Yahtzee does like survival horror games I mean come on he loves silent hill 2

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Neiloken said:
ok since ol ZP is making a comparison between COD and real shooters (thank ronswanson) i now call he must play Halo 4... After years of being subjected to "i'll just sit here and wait for my team to kill everything" shooters I decided to start Halo4 on heroic (used to finish every halo on legendary) and oh crikey did I get my cheeks served to me on a silver platter...

Being el solo once more has proven to be very difficult and VERY exciting!! Ok mind I've only played the first few missions but I have high hopes this game will continue kicking my ass...

Oh ya, and to put the whole xbox vs ps3 on graphics thing to rest. All u PS fanboys, organize an HDTV, Xbox 360 Slim, and Halo 4... it is honestly prettier than anything I've ever seen on a screen in my entire life...

Peace x 3
It's funny. I remember a time, not all that long ago before Call of Duty was king, that people blamed Halo for pretty much everything that was wrong with 'modern' shooters, for introducing such things as the two weapon limit, and in the case of Halo 2, Xbox LIVE.

Now, it almost seems like Halo stands as one of the last bastions against everything that people dislike about 'modern' shooters, with no iron sights, no chest high walls, interesting and varied sci-fi environments, lots of different enemy types and so on and so forth.
In the land of the blind, one-eye rules.

A less cynical explanation would be that innovation always faces opposition, and say what you will about Halo: it sure innovated a lot. Things that are by now taken for granted, while we have moved on to deride the latest generation of gameplay fashion while dreaming rose-coloured dreams about the last one.

... ok, maybe I'm not sure whether that was any less cynical.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
game-lover said:
JPArbiter said:
can I PLEASE get a transcript for everything from "you just do not like shooters." onward?
Well, let me have a shot...

"Oh you ignorant little bastards!
Shove your balls up your ass and clench yourself castrated.
I was into shooters while you were still sucking on Wii-motes, you cover-loving, health-regenerating, murder come-latelys.
You don't even know what a shooter is!
A shooter is fast paced, circle strafing, wits about you, rocket jumping, last crap of health, toodly fuck pies organic excitement in a fancy hat.
to quote Face McShooty... THANK YOU!

cpthowdy

May 5, 2009
Whatever you do, Yahtzee, do not under any circumstances play Planetside 2. Spunkgargleweewee to the max.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Yopaz said:
Warped_Ghost said:
Yopaz said:
Warped_Ghost said:
Yopaz said:
Warped_Ghost said:
Yopaz said:
Warped_Ghost said:
Yopaz said:
Warped_Ghost said:
Yopaz said:
It's funny how people accuse him of not liking shooter when some of the games he give the most praise (Half-Life and Painkiller) are shooters.

I'm going to accuse him of not liking survival horror games for the bad review he gave Resident Evil 5.

I guess none of the titles he reviewed seems appealing to me. I guess I like modern shooters a tad more than he does, but only because he really, really hates them. Hilarious as always though.
The problem is he doesn't play multiplayer. Which is what those spark gunkle wee wee games focus on. I would hate all modern shooter if I only played the single player as well because FFS they are all hopelessly boring and identical.
Yeah, it's not like he recently played a multiplayer game which he enjoyed. Let's just ignore the facts that collide with our opinions.
That would be a point in my favour if he actually played the multiplayer in a game and enjoyed it. I'm not trying to bash ZP here. I am just wondering why he even bothers to review modern shooter games anymore.
Yeah, it's horrible that people who review games sometimes don't like them. They shouldn't be allowed to say negative things about games simply because that's how they feel, it's outrageous how some critics have integrity rather than giving high scores to any big release.

Edit: Also it's not a point in your favour. You basically just did the "He hates shooters" except with multiplayer. Ignore the things that doesn't fit into your theory, but don't get upset when someone calls you out on your bullshit.
I am not commenting on whether he likes the game or not but rather that he only reviews the single player aspect of game.

And you act like I watch ZP for positive reviews... or that I care that MOH: War Fighter got a low review. I can say after playing the last MOH my assumptions about war fighter coincide with ZP's disdain for the game.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I think you're looking for a positive review.

I have merely stated two statements. He does give praise to some shooters and he does sometimes give praise to multiplayer. Don't change the subject, put words into my mouth and ignore your previous posts.
"Yeah, it's horrible that people who review games sometimes don't like them. They shouldn't be allowed to say negative things about games simply because that's how they feel, it's outrageous how some critics have integrity rather than giving high scores to any big release."
-Yopaz
That hardly looks like I am putting words into your mouth when you say I was looking for a positive review. Unless that wasn't an attempt at sarcasm I will confidently say that it looked like you thought that I wanted a positive review.
So you're taking a sarcastic sentence to prove your point?

Now what happened to not changing the subject here? What happened to:
Warped_Ghost said:
The problem is he doesn't play multiplayer.
Are we supposed to just ignore the sentence that started this pointless discussion now that we've established that he does occasionally enjoy multiplayer so we have to assume he plays multiplayer? You're changing the subject and you wont even admit that you're changing the subject. I am done discussing this so there's no need to reply.
Just a heads up if you want to be a far more respectable debater try not to end every post with an obvious insult to your opponent. It degrades the entire post.
Thank you, I've had a long day and I really needed a laugh.
I knew I could make you break your word.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Warped_Ghost said:
I knew I could make you break your word.
I am done discussing this so there's no need to reply.
Yopaz said:
Thank you, I've had a long day and I really needed a laugh.
I said I am done discussing this and if the subject "this" we are referring to is people who bring up a subject then aren't respectful enough to stay on subject despite being urged to do so then call the other part disrespectful for pointing the fact, then yes, I did break my word. Now go on and have a wonderful day and pride yourself for outsmarting me, sir.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
JPArbiter said:
can I PLEASE get a transcript for everything from "you just do not like shooters." onward?
Sure. Here [http://zeropunctuation.wikia.com/wiki/Medal_of_Honor:_Warfighter_%26_Doom_3:_BFG_Edition]'s a transcript of the whole thing, just scroll down to the part you need.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
You know, that whole giant robot section sounds like something that would appear in a non-SGWW game, from the other side, and it actually has. Striders and Hunters from Half-Life spring to mind, or those big mechs that popped up once in a while in FEAR. Bascially, in Warfighter, you play the bad guy from a good shooter. There's nothing wrong with playing the villain for a change (Prototype and the Saints Row games proved that pretty handily), but it just feels... off, somehow, if the game still pretends you're the hero.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
While Yahtzee's proposed name of spunkgargleweewee for this new subgenre is funny as hell, I reckon a more serious-sounding name would be FPRS - First Person Rail Shooter. Because deep down, that's what the likes of Modern Warfare, MOH and Battlefield have become. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that EA and Activision haven't tried to make arcade rail-shooter spinoffs of their respective franchises.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that the "first person" part of that description is rather redundant, as rail shooters are first person by nature. Spunkgargleweewee games ARE nothing more than tarted-up rail shooters, and shit ones at that.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
I applauded my computer screen with a ridiculous grin on my face after the rant about modern shooters. I don't care how stupid I looked, it needed to be done. This man knows GOOD shooters.

Speaking of which, it's been almost a year since my last Painkiller run, and that's too long. Thanks for the reminder!

Justin Harris

Mar 24, 2010
Barbara Romanowski said:
Since the acronym for "Modern Military Shooter" overlaps with "Massive Multiplayer Shooter" I propose to use the name "Present-day Military Shooter."
How about MSS, Military Strategy Shooter? But I like SGWW best so far for the genre reference.

Justin Harris

Mar 24, 2010
Kargathia said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Neiloken said:

Peace x 3

In the land of the blind, one-eye rules.

A less cynical explanation would be that innovation always faces opposition, and say what you will about Halo: it sure innovated a lot. Things that are by now taken for granted, while we have moved on to deride the latest generation of gameplay fashion while dreaming rose-coloured dreams about the last one.

... ok, maybe I'm not sure whether that was any less cynical.
I and many others still blame Halo, as it is the drunken grandfather to COD MOH BF, etc. Just because people don't comment on it much anymore doesn't make it any less true. Innovation implies better freedom of game-play and creativity. The fact of the matter is, Halo and the rest "innovated" restrictions. Less freedom. Less weapons and regenerating health? Means players have to spend more time hunting down new weapons, or hide to regenerate health to extend game play. Cheap ploys to hide how short and terrible those games truly are.