Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
The game is made by Platinum ... but Kojima's team made the story-not Kojima himself. Hideo Kojima wanted to make a story about cyborg ninja but but his team wanted to do Raiden..so he just let them do what they wanted

Basically don't use this game to look for insights into Kojima's head

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
its funny my last favorite game from this universe was the first one with raiden

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Okay Yahtzee, I get that some, including you may have a problem with Kojima's storytelling, but he didn't make the story this time around! Sure you can say that he didn't know about the iffy development process but when you start up the game it says "DEVELOPED BY PLATINUM GAMES"!!! I was wondering if this would happen, I would've loved to hear him comment on Platinum Games making the game.

Although I do agree with many others that the end was very over the top, but honestly since the main villain was pretty much introduced then and there (yeah you saw him a bit earlier but still) so they had to make him memorable somehow. I won't remember MGR for being particularly smart or anything like that, but I will sure as hell remember it, final boss Dragonball Z-style, fun, just what this spin-off needed, eh?

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
VMK said:
You fight ALL the negative 'mericah stereotypes (obesity aside) included in one human being. How could you NOT like it?
I personally not only did like "the boss" as a boss, but also as a character. Yes, stereotypical, yes bat-sh1t insane, but still so... Rad...
Yeah, I loved the last boss, too. In what other game go you get to fight a
roided up senator?

One thing I liked in particular about the fight was how it's testing all the core abilities - you have to block, slice with precision, evade, it's all there.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
TyrunnAlberyn said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Quick, someone tell him Revengeance is actually in the dictionary. That will show him...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revengeance
http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/Revengeance

Boy is the egg on his face now, huh, huh, nudge nudge.
Apparantly it exists in American, but not in british English. I can't find it in any version of the Oxford Dictionary ;).
American words aren't real. I mean, who would write honour without a u?

OT: Not too interested in this game. I will have to say I laughed a lot at the end joke of this episode. Man, I can't believe how childish I am.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
"AND THEN HE FOUGHT THE DINOSAURS" is a very appealing character arc to me, I can't lie.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
So, did he not know Platinum Games did most of it?

Oh, and I have to offer DmC an apology. I got on its back for its excessive swearing, but Rising did the same thing.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
And here was me thinking the soundtrack was actually pretty kick-ass. Been listening to the boss music on and off since i got the game, especially Mistral's theme (Stranger I Remain).

I suppose it's true about the tone of the ending 'cause it felt pretty damn disjointed from the rest of the game.
As for the gameplay it is indeed true that it seems to've been programmed on opposite day 'cause the combat is fun and the controls really aren't suited for much stealthing at all. If you don't find the cardboard box and try to do stealth you're pretty much fucked 'cause Raiden can't crawl around in local vegetation with an american flag on his face.

Thankfully the good bits where good enough that i just ignored that bad ones and had a blast with the game. If you don't find at least something awesome about running over missiles fired from a helicopter so you get over to it and slice it into a million pieces you probably shouldn't play hack 'n slash games in the first place.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
And sadly, the chick with her top open is the best character to have call you, because at least you can look at her rack while she blathers on about nothing. If only they'd stuck a pair of nice tits on that awful robo-dog. >_<

Vivi22 said:
Actually no. Raiden is pronounced rye-den. Hayden is pronounced hey-den. They don't rhyme at all.
Posts phonetic spellings that proves they do rhyme, but continues to claim that they don't rhyme.

excalipoor said:
I really don't care to argue rhymes with you, so I'll just direct you here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyme#General_rhymes].

And I even gave in to calling it not-a-rhyme. Geez, lighten up chief.
Posts link proving that they do rhyme, but gives in to Vivi's incorrectness and agrees that they don't rhyme.

IronMit said:
The game is made by Platinum ... but Kojima's team made the story-not Kojima himself. Hideo Kojima wanted to make a story about cyborg ninja but but his team wanted to do Raiden..so he just let them do what they wanted
Boo. Wish he'd stood his ground so we could have had a story that wasn't quite so poo. Maybe he could have stuck with that original concept of freeing Sunny from the Patriots, or just plain done something better than "everything you did in Metal Gear Solid 4 might as well have been for nothing because everything is the same minus the Patriots lol". Honestly, who the hell ever asked for a sequel to Metal Gear Solid 4 in the first place?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
I think the title is a reference to the old saying - "revengeance is a dish best served multiple times".

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was waiting for this! I couldn't tell if yahtzee disliked MGR:Revengeance, but this review just makes me want to play it more! The crazy tone of the story of the whole series is kind of its hallmark anyway. Plus, it's only game I know that has commercials on TV that show ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE (yeah, I'm calling you out, latest God of War and every Final Fantasy game since VI)!
Daystar Clarion said:
I think the trick is to go into the game expecting it not to take itself too seriously, like a cheesy 80's action movie.

I loved it.
That's the right attitude! It's a refeshing change of style over games that try to be super serious and deep while still having the crazy, over-the-top violence be the core of the gameplay.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I recall hearing that Hideo Kojima purposefully made every Metal Gear game after Metal Gear Solid bad because he was continuously pestered into doing more games in the franchise.

BlackFrost55

Jan 20, 2010
It's worth noting that Kojima actually had very little to say in terms of the story of this game. He admitted sometime on Twitter that most of the game is Platinum Games's doing (and, well, if you want an idea of why this game just takes the craziness to the maximum level, look at literally any of their previous titles). He oversaw the project, but the dialogue and everything else is penned by someone at Platinum trying to emulate Kojima's style while throwing in a healthy dose of that Platinum Games trademark batshit.

That said, the game is canon, and I don't really understand how anyone could do anything but laugh hysterically during the final boss's cutscenes and fights.

EDIT: Wow I was beaten on this a while ago. My bad.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
spunkgarglewiwi said:
Good, another game that never tickled my fancy was hack'n'slashed into oblivion by the unsung hero of the internets (yes, Yahtzee) ...
Yahtzee's unsung? I think you'll find he's very well sung.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
MB202 said:
I recall hearing that Hideo Kojima purposefully made every Metal Gear game after Metal Gear Solid bad because he was continuously pestered into doing more games in the franchise.
But Snake Eater is a modern classic so that can't be true!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm disappointed he didn't make another reference to sequels whose subtitles' are words beginning 're.'

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I'm gonna say something stupid, but isn't Raiden suppose to be a parody on gamers since the beginning?

He was a whiny guy (just like some players) and then turned into a grim dark tries too hard to be cool guy(what marketers think people want)

Could be giving too much credit to Kojima