Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Metroid Other M

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Metroid Other M.

Spaceship art courtesy of Starbright Illustrations [http://www.starbrightillustrations.com/content/].

Watch Video

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Oh my. Could this be one of the few times where people don't comment before watching the video?

IT'S A MIRACLE!

EDIT: "And it's a lot smaller and more linear than, say, Metroid Fusion"

I see what you did there

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I can't get the video to work. It kicks over to the ad backplate, and then I end up with a black screen...

EDIT: It took four page reloads to get it working. Weird.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I had my suspicions on Metroid Other M. Now that makes it 3:1 saying Other M is bad.

Good job Mr. Croshaw. And I can't wait for your extra punctuation column on this game.

Jark

Jun 12, 2009
Any ideas as to what the "Special Episode" mentioned at the very end will be centered around?

devilsbane_smash

Mar 9, 2010
I don't think Samus' voice actor realized she wasn't voicing a robot. -_- Pretty good review, but I thought the gameplay good, personally.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Hubilub said:
Oh my. Could this be one of the few times where people don't comment before watching the video?

IT'S A MIRACLE!
Hallelujah!

OT: Great review, and eagerly anticipating Friday.

Calumon: I would, but I've got to hug someone.

Jack: Now who would that... *hugged*

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
You know, I saw the trailers for this game and thought "This is going to be shit, too emo and the controls look hard as hell to use." Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
You just summed up exactly why I'm steering well clear of the game, Samus always just worked as a silent protagonist in the same way that Gordan Freeman does, giving her a voice was dodgy enough without doing it in such a plain and overdone way with a boring stereotypical story. :|

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I'm not one to praise a ZP, but his sucker turned out the be ridiculously funny.
Nicely done Mr. Croshaw.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Hmmmm this Friday special has me intrigued

As for the game, don't have a Wii so its in the pile of games that I don't care about

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Ouch. But somebody on IGN already talked about how Team Ninja basically murdered Samus as a character; what's next, a Tomb Raider game in which Lara keeps crying for daddy? Bayonetta needing a man's help to survive a fight?

With Team Ninja's attitudes towards women MANIFESTLY OBVIOUS in every game they've ever made, who thought it was a great idea to make them create a game around gaming's most iconic kick-arse heroine?

ARKSgtAlpha

Jul 16, 2009
i was a little optimistically hopeful that the escapist review had downplayed the switching of perspectives because it wasn't a big deal, but then i was optimistically hopeful that transformers wasnt going to be garbage

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Damn, I was looking forward to getting this game eventually. Oh well, I just got Civilization V working this morning so I should be fine on games for the next 2 years.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
awesomem review yahtzee, i had a feeling this would be rather crap.

it appears most of the other reviewers are being extra special nice to it for some reason..

carlito2003

Oct 27, 2009
Extra Zero Punctuation video will be him telling all his fans this will be his last review. For some reason, I have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach that might be true... Though it wouldn't surprise me =/

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Can't say I agree with the review (that scene where the character sacrifices themselves was awesome!) but also the traitor subplot is supposed to be figured out, not resolved. The traitor is logically deducible, and is more fun that way too.

But besides the story which I agree was poorly handled I thought the gameplay was pretty awesome, certainly faster paced and more engaging than Prime, but also still resolutely retro. If a sequel was announced tomorrow I'd get excited (and considering it's metroid a sequel probably will get announced tomorrow).

Slimshad

Sep 16, 2009
I knew this game would be absolutely terrible when I heard who was making it. Making her dependent of male characters is probably the WORST direction the game could have turned to. Samus isn't supposed to be a feminine stereotype, but apparently Nintendo is okay with letting her be portrayed as one.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Didn't like this one all that much.

Watched through it all without a giggle, nor a laugh.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.
You don't own a Wii?

Then what the hell is sustaining your relentless Nintendo fanboyism? Why are you so gentle and forgiving to the slightest smell of bullshit coming from a Wii title?

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Quite a nice review, not the best of it, but certainly had me laughing.

I was expecting more fanservice from team Ninja, but what was really dissapointing, it's how short is the game.

griffinith

Nov 12, 2008
The amount of raised eyebrow I had when I first saw clips for this game were on par with metroid pinball. It seems like some offshoot that should have never happened... But! Metroid Pinball was actually a good game. So I don't really know how this one will work out until I play it myself. Seeing as how Yahtzee and I haven't seen eye to eye ever since I started watching ZP, this is my only real choice.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
se7ensenses said:
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.
And it still sells lol. I don't own a wii but theres 2 in my house ¬¬.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Special episode? Im intrested.
Anyway, the game sounds horrible.

[sub]Just thought il put this here, since its Yahtzee related, but has anyone else viewed the "youtube" link referenced in Mogworld. I was expecting something alot more intresting. Still, nice bit of humour there.[/sub]

Humppaporo

Apr 4, 2009
I wuw you yathzee <3 besides that great review once again. Looks like I dont have to get that game. I didn't even like metroid prime that much.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I have an idea about the possibility of Samus' voice if it is as lifeless as you say. Maybe that's how they wanted her to sound. She's spent years of her life slaughtering pirates and monsters, her parents were killed when she was a little girl. Wouldn't it make sense that she's an emotionally detached person with no social skills? Now, granted, this is coming from someone that has yet to play the game, so maybe it's just that the dialog clashes with her voice, but it would be an interesting take if Samus was a sociopathic bounty-hunter, and that was actually part of her character instead of painting it as alright because she saves the day.

Good critique BTW. I really found it funny.

Ender Wiggin

Mar 26, 2009
I thought that the 'mystery' thing was resolved - at one point you come across a dead marine, I think in the secret metroidy bit, and say their name. I assumed that they were the traitor.

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Nice episode. I myself enjoyed Other M, but really, it's not without some obvious glaring flaws. I think Yahtzee exaggerated on a lot of points, but really, that's just what he does.
I have to say that the traitor mystery is actually solved pretty clearly, though. They never outright say who it exactly was, but if you think about a few things it's pretty damn clear.

Demolitions Guy is killed by Ridley, French Guy is killed by the traitor, Adam sacrifices himself, MANthony Higgs is too big to be the traitor and we see the traitor throw someone in the lava. Considering that you find Evil Moustache Guy's corpse but not Asian Guy's, it has to be Evil Moustache Guy.

Anyhoo, Other M is really the most divisive game in the series. Some people hate it, some love it. I think everyone should just try it and form their own opinion.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Pandora92 said:
You just summed up exactly why I'm steering well clear of the game, Samus always just worked as a silent protagonist in the same way that Gordan Freeman does, giving her a voice was dodgy enough without doing it in such a plain and overdone way with a boring stereotypical story. :|
She's had a voice before, and in fact shared the voice actress with FemShep of Mass Effect...Jennifer Hale.

Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established to have a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

Pretty much; a silent protagonist doesn't HAVE a personality so "bold independent spirit" for Samus is like saying Gordon Freeman "is an obsessive compulsive woman-hating crisp eater with a Boston accent".

Also, may I kindly ask that the game's supporters NOT turn this into another slug fest? You're better than that and we don't need the flames fanned again. It's times like this where Yahtzee is used in the worst way possible: to make detractors feel better about not liking a big name title. Then again Yahtzee's relationship with Nintendo has always been a bit predictable.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Metroid Other M

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Metroid Other M.

Watch Video
Another great video by Yahtzee. I really hope you are going to get to Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions in a future video. Spider-Man 2 was my favorite too and I'm hoping we get to hear your thoughts on the latest Spidey game.

luckey

Apr 15, 2009
sorry yahtzee, bob's argument makes more sense to me in this case then your does, so it looks like i'm gonna get this one
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Its going to take more than Samus' bum to get me to buy this game, damn fine job Yahtzee, like always.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Dam but I wish my classes got out earlier than 12:15. At least I still made the second page and watch the hole video. Having all Samus' armor fall off worked allot better in SSBB, at least you got that super-powered beam attack when you did it.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there
I do not. I remember metroid fusion being a 2d sidescroller for the gba but I don't get the joke.

OT moreso: He didn't review reach so I can only imagine he was dumbstruck by how good it was. (in joke). I bet his review of reach will be something I don't agree with (I like reach) but still ind hilariuos

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
We seem to have accidentally discovered another game he likes. Not this of course, but Prime, that brongs the total up to what now, 4 games?

TheLegendOfFagballs

Sep 22, 2010
The Deleter subplot is meant to be figured out, and there are clues that you can put together. But yes, the only one you really need is the evil mustache. It is weird that all the characters just sort of forget about it, though. Actually no, it's not, they're stupid.

Team Ninja didn't touch the story. Apparently Sakamoto, the guy who co-created the franchise and headed this game, had this in mind all along, and only now decided to go all out with it in a game (you can see more of melodramatic Samus in a Metroid manga from like ten years ago). Oh well, I've become accustomed to prequels ruining my childhood by now.

I liked the game. For all its warts (and there were many), it was fun.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Super special awesome episode on Friday? I am intrigued. Unless it's the Yahtzee Croshaw equivalent of the ring, and watching it will result in the death of all of us.

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
Called it since the trailer. Perhaps Team Ninja should have actually played Metroid Prime 1; maybe then they would figure why it was a good game.

Danial said:
We seem to have accidentally discovered another game he likes. Not this of course, but Prime, that brongs the total up to what now, 4 games?
He's been saying he liked MP1 for a while now.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
In all honesty, considering how polarizing the game has been, I'm not surprised. I personally wasn't bothered by the control issues Yahtzee brought up, but the game was still more linear than I'd like, and the storyline's got plenty of issues, regardless of how you look at it. But I think Nintendo should be congratulated on taking so many risks, even though not all of them worked. Sakamoto has outright said he's listening to criticism and I hope this means that a second game will be better because of it.

For the record, I do hope every Metroid fan at least tries Other M, even if it's nothing more than a rental. It is definitely one of the most unique games you'll play all year, for better or for worse.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Oh yeah, I mind that both sides of the Metroid spectrum had quite a flame war when Other M hit the streets. Some say it's alright, others consider an abomination. A love or hate it type.

I'll praise the graphics and little on the gameplay but everything else went to the dogs by the cutscenes, Samus's monotone monologues, and the ridiculous timing on certain events. (Varia Suit in a lava room till you run low on health anyone?)

If you must know, Yoshino Sakamoto implemented the storyline on Fusion and Zero Mission. He was the director of Other M.

I'm glad that Spoony and Sean Malstrom hated other M. And like Spoony said, I don't think Metroid series will survive after this.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:

When was Samus established as having a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

When a protagonist marches through a looong running series while wearing a suit of power armor and slaughtering looooots of pretty evil monster stuff without any help, you'd kinda think he was? Just sayin'..

The PC in any Pokemon game hasn't got any such backstory either, but I'd wager people would complain if someone made a game in which the once silent going-to-be pokemaster turns into a whiny brute, rather than a kid who leaves home and determinedly wins everything. Not the best comparison though.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
I wish they could just make a 2d game instead of making a nearly 2d game with the worst bits being the 3d elements, also where did the horror and loneliness go, that is what metroid has always been about, you can't have her chatting with MORE FUCKING SPACE MARINES

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
carlito2003 said:
Extra Zero Punctuation video will be him telling all his fans this will be his last review. For some reason, I have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach that might be true... Though it wouldn't surprise me =/
I see I'm not the only though who had this thought.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well what do you know, no probations in the starting comments, for once.

That was yet another good video. Keep up the good work.

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
Samus talking was enough to make this a no buy for me.

I love, love Metroid and have enjoyed EVERY game in the series... when samus DOES NOT TALK.

The gameboy version, what was it - Zero missions? when she talked, the gameplay was fine, but the last thing I need is to hear someone write terrible lines for a very interesting character.

Samus is like Boba Fett. She doesn't need to talk to get her point across, she's on a mission, the reasons are unknown, end of story. The fact that they've abolished that, took an ENTIRELY solo character and added her into the mix with other people? No.

I agree that you need to change up a game, make things more interesting, unique, different - but not if that comes at the cost of making it a craptastic game with terrible writing.

Regardless, it saved me however much the game costs that I can now put towards something else. Like porn mags!

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
"Check out my screw attack"?.... I didn't get it but i think it was a shot to the guys on gametrailers.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Hah, very funny but also on point as with other reviews... Why would they portray Shamus as they did Ill never now ...

Lost In The Void said:
Hmmmm this Friday special has me intrigued...
Me too

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
Metroid Other M is the worst game in the series it is sad to see a Metroid title sink so low after an amazing record track. I think I will take Yahtzee advice though and go back to playing Prime 1, fuck the whole trilogy is better than Other M :/

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Fronzel said:
Then what the hell is sustaining your relentless Nintendo fanboyism? Why are you so gentle and forgiving to the slightest smell of bullshit coming from a Wii title?
How am I a Nintendo fanboy? How is this supposed fanboyism relentless? What other Wii titles have I commented upon that support your claims? Finally, how is my critique of the hatred leveled at a particular character in a particular title considered "gentle and forgiving" towards that title when I admittedly have never played it?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Yeah, the whole "OMG IT'S RIDLEY!" thing might have actually been a good, impacting moment... except by this point in the series, she has fought him (Original Metroid), fought a cyborg version of him TWICE (MetaRidley, Prime 1 & 3), an upgraded cyborg version (Omega Ridley, Prime 3) , and a somehow-not-cyborg version (Super Metroid). By this point, it has no meaning even going by the game's "logic".

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Snake Plissken said:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day
There is. And it comes to us from none other than MovieBob.

I give you the Game OverThinker [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

BigText

Nov 21, 2007
The murder-mystery subplot WAS resolved. You come across the guy wearing the glasses after he's been killed by a metroid, and since he was the last guy remaining, he was the traitor. That doesn't really matter, though, because none of the characters except for Adam and Anthony even REMOTELY mattered.

I had fun playing the game, but I do pretend that this was just some idiot's fantasy. The game destroyed Samus as a character, making her some weak-willed pathetic little girl. That, and why would Nightmare be on this ship AND the one in Metroid: Fusion? Lastly, the fact that the Galactic Federation was creating metroids in Metroid: Fusion was a huge plot point. If they were making metroids on the bottle ship, AND on the ship in Metroid: Fusion, then how many more metroids are on how many more ships?

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
Thank you, Yahtzee, for hammering down this game in the most cynical way possible. I also thought that this game was a huge pile of "meh" for a lot of the exact same reasons.

The combat was kind of fun for awhile, though.

And now I do want to play Metroid Prime again.

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
I love how this review turned out to be the EXACT opposite of what MovieBob said.

This desperately needed to happen.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
You know, the funniest thing, IMO, is that Team Ninja always claims that they develop their games specifically for western audiences. It reminds me of when Yahtzee claimed it seemed like a developer (a Japanese one no less) got everything they know about Western Audiences from the tourist locked in their basement.

It's becomes obvious that their "market research" is nothing more than social stereotyping (and a little bit of ethnic prejudice) when you compare their games to western developed games. You know, games developed be people who actually are western and therefore understand western audiences better. Their games are way too over the top and full of Big-titted women.

And now Metroid arrives to further prove the point. They turn a previously strong and independent female character into a whiny little school girl.

Go Team Reta- wait, that's not PC.

ummm... booo...

Magmabear

Apr 1, 2009
Oh man, Yahtzee. You really nailed it right on the mark. You brought up everything that I thought about the game as well, and then some. This is probably the funniest review I've seen (because it's so true).

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Tharticus said:
I'm glad that Spoony and Sean Malstrom hated other M. And like Spoony said, I don't think Metroid series will survive after this.
Sean Malstrom is an idiot strawman with only illogical hatred for the world around him who claims to know what makes Metroid good even if he has bashed Zero Mission, Fusion and Super Metroid in the most illogical way possible. Also, he thinks "Metroid should be a trippy game where you kill Metroids!"
Also, even if he has a point here and there, he is a horribly boring writer. Don't give this man any more attention.

And while I really like Spoony because he is funny and one of the most entertaining web reviewers, he didn't even play the game through and really overreacted.

I don't mind people hating on Other M, but at least do it with some actual reasoning.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Oh, I know! Let's make a game where the main character completely ignores any input from the player! That will make the character more independent. I think I saw that once... oh yeah, it's called a movie.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
OuendanCyrus said:
So I'm not the only one who thought the writing is terrible.
Did you honestly think you were? Have you even been paying attention to anything written about the game on this site (articles OR forums) for the past month?

If I said I was the only one who thought the game was GOOD, at least I'd have some justification for saying so.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

I give you the Game OverThinker [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].
Well, a lot of us have pretty much established that Bob missed the point completely.

People aren't mad about GIVING her a personality.

They're mad about giving her a SHITTY personality.

Also, the Strawman bit was terrible.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
esperandote said:
"Check out my screw attack"?.... I didn't get it but i think it was a shot to the guys on gametrailers.
It's not on slam on anyone. I got the joke and it's pretty much trademark Yahtzee.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
That spaceship early on came from a development screenshot of an open source game called Vegastrike, I'm amazed it ended up in a yahtzee review. That's pretty cool. If anyone's interested, the thread is here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15345

Yes: it starts off looking nothing like that, i know. But check out somewhere around page 10 or onwards, and you'll see what I mean. Nice going.

Also: To the comment about Nintendo making the same game over and over again: while I won't say you aren't right, you make it sounds as though the exact same thing hasn't been done with Sonic, Final Fantasy, Halo, and a whole fuck load of other games throughout ever different system over the ages, do you really think it's that stable a criticism?

It seems that this whole game got fucked over by the fact that is was allowed to be done by the guys who bought you "Oh, jiggle physics, I bet the pathetic worms who live in their mothers basement and wank to anime every five fucking seconds, will lap this shit up!", rather than a competent developer, or maybe just one who's ethos doesn't begin and end with "OH TITS LOL!".

Ulixes Dimon

Jul 25, 2010
Team Ninja should NEVER be allowed to play with a good ip. The metroid prime series was fine. The reason Corruption didn't do as well is because they half assed it, dropped the difficulty, shortened it, and dropped out many of the puzzles.

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Boaal said:
Also: To the comment about Nintendo making the same game over and over again: while I won't say you aren't right, you make it sounds as though the exact same thing hasn't been done with Sonic, Final Fantasy, Halo, and a whole fuck load of other games throughout ever different system over the ages, do you really think it's that stable a criticism?
Also, this game is ANYTHING but "the same game again and again". It's so different that if you'd slap another name and new characters, it'd be closer to "inspired by Metroid".

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. I'm curious as to the nature of this special friday ZP.

Maybe he's announcing his retirement or something.

warps

Jun 10, 2009
I disagree with most of the gameplay complaints, but I found the review very funny anyway. I enjoyed your "robot voice" impression.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Wow, it is nice to see you complain about a game I have played and was very frustrated about. Seriously, all of your points struck me throughout the game.

Also, I think it was a bit stupid that whenever you died (and her armour fell off), Adam would go "Samus, what's going on? Respond! Respoooond!" as if they on purpose tried to rip off "Snake, snake snaaaake"

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Jark said:
Any ideas as to what the "Special Episode" mentioned at the very end will be centered around?
Yahtzee's review of Mogworld? Maybe the grand unveiling of Fun Space Game: The Game?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Nice to see Zero Punctuation shit all over Other M's hiderous story and voice acting. I mean everyone else on the interenet has done so already but I honestly can't get enough of it.

Give it back to Retro, they know what they're doing.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
BigText said:
The murder-mystery subplot WAS resolved. You come across the guy wearing the glasses after he's been killed by a metroid, and since he was the last guy remaining, he was the traitor. That doesn't really matter, though, because none of the characters except for Adam and Anthony even REMOTELY mattered.

I had fun playing the game, but I do pretend that this was just some idiot's fantasy. The game destroyed Samus as a character, making her some weak-willed pathetic little girl. That, and why would Nightmare be on this ship AND the one in Metroid: Fusion? Lastly, the fact that the Galactic Federation was creating metroids in Metroid: Fusion was a huge plot point. If they were making metroids on the bottle ship, AND on the ship in Metroid: Fusion, then how many more metroids are on how many more ships?
I'm guessing Yatzee - like me, forgot the name of every character except Anthony and Adam and thus did not bother to keep up with who was killed off along the way. Seriously, my response when I saw one dead was always "hey, one of those guys I don't care about was killed. Whatever!"

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
she was a strong independent woman since she was like the first woman in gaming that really kicked ass and chewed bubble gum along side the myriad of male characters, and in the course of one game they managed to destroy all of her cool factor. does not matter if your mind filled in the blanks, when the first metroid dropped, there were not many lead female characters period.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
That was one of the funniest videos in a while. I was thinking of buying Other M because I loved Metroid Prime, but then I remembered that I've hated every other game Team Ninja has ever made and thought better of it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WHAT? SAMUS IS A GIRL??????

okay, mandatory sarcasm over. They had to call it Metroid because the name is what sells the franchise. Even if the game's not as deep, the controls aren't as good, or the charatcers aren't as sensible, they can go "pssst...It's METROID!" And fanboys will line up by the thousands.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

Bob is a NINENDO WHORE! I'll be about as eager to trust his words on a nintendo game as I would be to trust the X-Box Republic's opinions on a PS3 game. And I don't give a damn if the man constantly claims he is not a fanboy, his actions and words all dictate otherwise.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Heh, pretty good... and though I usually take Yahtzee's reviews with a grain of salt, this just helps me justify not wasting $60 on Other M.

Also nice to hear praise for Prime, I've always wanted to know how he felt. ... Granted, this could just mean it doesn't suck as much as Other M, but I'm optimistic like that.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Flamma Man said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

Well, a lot of us have pretty much established that Bob missed the point completely.

People aren't mad about GIVING her a personality.

They're made about giving her a SHITTY personality.

Also, the Strawman bit was terrible.
I think Bob's point was that a lot of people might not be thinking of it as a "shitty personality" if they hadn't already been so determined to assign their own projected personality to her.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was her call, not the call of the people making the game. I'm guessing she smelled something she didn't like and decided not to get her name attached to the project.

VGFreak1225 said:
For the record, I do hope every Metroid fan at least tries Other M, even if it's nothing more than a rental. It is definitely one of the most unique games you'll play all year, for better or for worse.
Not gunna happen. I have far better things to do with my time and money than to give a try to a game sports 0 appeal to me beyond the franchise it's attached to.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
SpaceMedarotterX said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

Bob is a NINENDO WHORE! I'll be about as eager to trust his words on a nintendo game as I would be to trust the X-Box Republic's opinions on a PS3 game. And I don't give a damn if the man constantly claims he is not a fanboy, his actions and words all dictate otherwise.
Rule #1 of The Escapist: Anyone who likes anything I don't like is a fanboy.

scoopsss

Mar 17, 2010
I wonder what's he going to show on Friday. Maybe another googly eyes underwear dance, I would sure fap I mean fancy that!

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Hah, fucking called it! I knew Yahtzee would see this game for the fetid piece of shit that it is.

If you want to give a formerly silent protagonist a voice, that's fine. If you want to give them a personality, even better. But when you give them the voice of a person with a golf club sticking through their head and the personality of some brooding, codependant ****, don't hide behind the shield of 'but they never had a personality before!' because that doesn't stop those decisions from being stupid.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Sylocat said:
I think Bob's point was that a lot of people might not be thinking of it as a "shitty personality" if they hadn't already been so determined to assign their own projected personality to her.
No, it isn't, it's a shit personality helped along with poor voice acting and bad writing.

Anyway you put it, it's not good.

No one want to listen to someone go on and on about Adam or the Metroid or what's CLEARLY going on despite her forced exposition of something we already clearly know.

Her personality was crap and forgettable.

Sylocat said:
No, really, just watch all his videos, he NEVER criticizes Nintendo and the Sony video just pushes it.

Hell he's joked about it once or twice.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, Metroid just got pwnd. Looked like shit from all the previews I had seen. Yep, it is shit!

Although, I guess I wouldn't mind staring at Samus Aran's ass... oh, wait, it's on the Wii. Nevermind. Maybe they'll make a PS3 Move port so I can tell what's what ;)

CronoT

May 15, 2010
You know, I was afraid that this was going to be another "The Wii is inferior and must be eradicated!" Video Games Eugenics hated-filled video from Yahtzee. But, I was impressed that the points that Yahtzee brought up were valid, and he didn't really stray too far from the point of reviewing the game, instead of continuing his personal crusade to eradicate the Wii.

Good show, Yahtzee; good show.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

Actually, I was disappointed by MovieBob's response to defend Other M. Pretty much the manga took the series into the opposite direction. Certainly can't argue against that.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.
I was, too. But then I watched the cutscenes on YouTube. Pro tip: they are some of the worst I've ever seen.

OT: Yeah, I knew he wouldn't like it. I still would try it if I owned a Wii but I don't.

Not particularly surprising but nonetheless great review.

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I tuned out when he called it a first person shooter when Nintendo classified the game as a first person adventure. Personally I don't care too much about the orders being given for power ups to be unlocked as that's essentially what happens anyway in the other games when you just happen to find them along the way (if you're not trying to sequence break the game). What bothers me however is that people will defend it because it "makes more sense" than way, as he did in that video. I despise realism in my video games, or rather, despise it in science fiction/video games.

Great episode. Was hoping Yahtzee would rip apart the characterization as well. Also, the screw attack thing is a reference to the actual attack in the game by the very same name, just imagine it in a sexual tone.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
I think Team Ninja should gets some props for that smooth-as-silk if repetetive and mostly unchanging 3rd person combat system. And I think the whole 'giving Samus a voice' thing was not Ninja's fault (I mean, since when did they feel like females in games needed personality?). Instead, the blame, I reckon, should fall sqaurely on the shoulders of the man who has been there since the beginning. He who oversaw every Metroid game oustide of the Primes.

Sakamoto.

It was he who expressed his aim to give Samus more personality, make the story more involved, and generally give the material for this week's ZP vid.

The game would have probably been better if Team Ninja were left to it, but the collaborative effort left the game seeming confused, as though it wants to be Metroid Gaiden between cutscenes and a boring space soap opera in the cutscenes.

soultwister

Nov 26, 2009
The ninja retards couldn't even give the game a proper title, WTF, Metroid came from NES to SNES, TRANSITIONED INTO 3D SO FLAWLESSLY, then Samus got humiliated by being played on the most anti-gamer system ever, and now this. FUCK ME.

BTW
se7ensenses said:
Send condolences to this guy's family, he just died to being-full-of-shit-itus.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i'm not going to watch it until i've played the game. knowing his reviews there will be spoilers but as i want to get Other M i don't want plot points given away

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Holy shit no one has been put on probation for commenting before watching the video O_O i guess there is a first time for everything, don't give up Yahtzee you may come to like a game yet.

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
oh man, Movie Bob is not gonna like this. On his Game Overthinker blog he pretty much cummed buckets over this game.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there
I do not. I remember metroid fusion being a 2d sidescroller for the gba but I don't get the joke.

OT moreso: He didn't review reach so I can only imagine he was dumbstruck by how good it was. (in joke). I bet his review of reach will be something I don't agree with (I like reach) but still ind hilariuos
Metroid Fusion was, at least before Other M came out, the most linear Metroid game.

Slaingod

Apr 22, 2009
You know, I kind of thought this game might actually be good. Thank God for Yahtzee, he saved me $50 and hours of misery. I will miss all the butt shots though. I guess I'll need to hit a strip show on the way home. Excellent video as always, Yahtzee!!

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Hubilub said:
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there

Metroid Fusion was, at least before Other M came out, the most linear Metroid game.
The obvious difference here is that Fusion was loved by everyone.
But I doubt Yahtzee was going for a joke there. It's just a fact that Other M is the most linear entry in the series.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
So what will be the surprise episode on Friday? Any guesses? Any recent occasion for this treat?

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I've been a Metroid fan for a long time and I didn't have any major issues with what they did to Samus in Other M... Sure the whole Ridley scene was a biiit overblown, but considering what he had done to her in the past I really don't think it's too out of place seeing as she wasn't expecting him to show up in the least.

I believe the thing with her suit falling off is a call-back to the official E-Manga where it was explained that her mental condition directly influenced the stability/functionality(?) of the suit, though I'd have to agree that might happen a little too often in Other M as well :p

Still, hardly as bad a game as many seem to believe in my opinion.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Hahaha, no matter how much progress has been made, they still can't stop playing up "SHES A WO-MAN!".

I agree with yahtzee that she should be treated as any other warrior that happens to be a woman instead of having big read neon signs above her head "THIS IS A WOMAN WARRIOR! IS IT NOT AMAZING? A WOMAN OF ALL THINGS! LOOK AT HER LADY TROUBLES AS SHE ALSO TRIES TO BE A WARRIOR"

kaijyuu

Sep 14, 2009
Never try to give previously silent protagonists personalities. The whole point of a silent protagonist is to project your own personality onto the character... to let you decide who you're controlling is. Changing it is going to be jarring at best.

Slaingod

Apr 22, 2009
I think reviewing Halo is going to be like reviewing Call of Duty. It may take 5000 bleating lambs filling his mailbox with a strange goo before he caves in and says "fuck it". Then again maybe it will be on next week. Also, by the way, Halo: Reach released in Australia 14SEP2010, as it did in Europe and the US. Maybe he busy coming up with some really good reviews, having not played it yet. Maybe he's trying to figure out how to say it sucks in 10 paragraphs(I'm not saying it sucks, I've not played it YET).I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
Crazy_Bird said:
So what will be the surprise episode on Friday? Any guesses? Any recent occasion for this treat?
I'm putting my money on minecraft. Its not a full game to get a full review but it sure has been blowing up lately

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Sylocat said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

You say to the guy who owns a Wii and is quite happy with it, nice going genius why don't you take this Rule

Rule#983 of the Internet: Responding to a comment by insulting the person behind it, rather than offering up any substantial argument, puts you in the same category as an animal when it comes to debate and intellect

Next time save me the trouble and just make a 'Your Mum' joke.

And before you think of the smart ass "Oh but you insulted Bob" any video in which a man can proclaim that Super Mario Brothers 3 is a LITERAL GIFT FROM GOD makes you a fanboy, There is no such thing as a game that good. Even if a so called 'perfect game' existed, it wouldn't be that good.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:

To be fair, in Metroid Fusion her personality was rather bold and independent. It starts with her going on a mission to inspect a space station that's gone silent, but when she realizes that the place is crawling with creatures that can kill and then clone living organisms, and that the government wants them for weapons, she abandons her mission AND defies her partner AI (which is hinted at to actually be Adam) so that she can destroy the space station.

But mostly I think that when people say her personality is bold and independent, they are only trying to give more power behind the fact that Samus was one of the first iconic female badasses in gaming, and she didn't need a personality because by that time, most badasses didn't need personalities to be badass (Like the majority of 80s action films). Giving her a personality wasn't needed, because Samus wasn't supposed to be a deep character, she was supposed to be a badass without personality, showing that the role of badass wasn't exclusive to men.

Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't add more depth to her. On the contrary, not adding depth to her would be stupid. But you can add depth to a character without taking away the badassness. What Other M did was take away the feeling that Samus was a super-badass. She was too dependent on other characters, she froze still when facing Ridley, and all that other stuff people complain about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Samus didn't have much of a personality before Other M, her character still made a statement: Women can be equally as awesome as men. And Other M took away that statement.

Metroid Fusion is still the best Metroid game in the series for me, because that game managed to add some more depth to Samus while keeping her a badass.

Nitrokitty

Mar 27, 2008
So I looked up who did Samus's voice for the Metroid Prime series, even limited as it was to grunts when she gets hit, and I found out who it was.

JENNIFER MOTHER FUCKING HALE!

Seriously, can we get a vote on this as the greatest missed opportunity of the century? If they wanted Samus to have instant badass cred, like she SHOULD, hiring Jennifer Hale to do the voice instead of the robot they got would have improved the game immensely. Then kick all the Team Ninja writers in the head and go get a real writing team, add some classic controller support, and you might have had a really good game. Nintendo, write this down. Fire Team Ninja. Bring back Retro Studios.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Corruption so I can see a good example of how to integrate dialog into a Metroid game unobtrusively. Peace out.

Zhinrak

Mar 29, 2010
The best part of metroid other m for me, was trading it in and buying another game with it.

The problem with this game is not necessarily the choices that were made, but instead i see it as that the choices they did make were executed BADLY. The controls are interesting and the concept of switching from 3rd to 1st person perspective could have been awesome. However 3rd person combat is frantic with a lot of jumping about and dodging, a complete contrast to being in 1st person where Samus cannot move at all, and those stupid scenes where you have to look at something 'significant' were terrible, most times it was something that should have been shown in a cut scene and often finding what the game was expecting you to find would be difficult because there was little to no indication of what you were supposed to find, and often you'd have to look exactly at the single tiny spot required.

Nothing i can say about the narrative and voice acting is something that has been unheard. I don't care that Samus was given a voice, or that she was put in a position to take orders etc etc. The issue is that the orders being given sometimes made no sense and why the hell Samus would not use the varia suit until told makes even less sense. That's like a firefighter running into a burning building without an oxygen tank and mask because his/her superiors didn't tell them to put it on. Ignoring that It made more sense why she could not use super bombs and other weapons and could have been done in a much better way.

As for the voice actor, i did some background research. I jokingly told my housemates that she sounded like "some stupid ***** they dragged off the street, jammed a microphone in her face and told her to read a script". Scarily i was not far off because the voice actor has done little in the ways of film and even less in the way of games. She was a actor in various plays and not even that many of them. Coupled with the poor voice acting, how MovieBob completely missed the poor script writing i will never know, hes supposed to be a movie critic. The numerous long drawn out monologues made by Samus were rarely needed and over descriptive. I know they are supposed to be internal monologues but even then who the hell seriously talks like she did when mumbling to herself? The biggest risk they took was giving her a voice and a personality and it feels like they put little effort into it. If this was gordon freeman with a voice i am sure it would have just as much, if not more outrage. The big difference is i know that a company like Valve would do their best not to screw it up and would do it right unlike team ninja.

Ultimately her characterization was terrible not just because, to many of us, it didn't feel like who Samus really was, but because it was genuinely a hard to believe character in general. If we treat this game like it was not a metroid game, and that it was some other female protagonist in an armored suit i am sure i would still have a hard time swallowing some of the rubbish being fed to me through that game.

I pretty much disagree with everything that MovieBob stated in his video, and his review is not all that surprising as from seeing many of his reviews he is a big big supporter of "fan service". I totally agree with everything Yahtzee has pointed out. If you want a good metroid game play through the prime trilogy. They managed to express a greater story with far less cut-scenes, less voice acting a better more visually stunning set of worlds, better music, better game play etc etc. Oh and better characterization of Samus without her even speaking a word (Seriously if bob can play through prime 3 and not get the concept that Samus is a hard as nails soldier with a "3 dimensional" personality hes a moron. From the end cut scene of prime 3 its made clear that Samus does have emotions and a personality, she just knows that there is a time and place for it all, and midway through a mission is not that time)

*EDIT*

Also throughout the entire of prime 3 Samus is technically working for a male officer, and taking orders from men etc etc. The big difference between prime 3 and other M is that Samus is shown respect in Prime 3, in other M it does not feel like Adam respects Samus and it is constantly pointed out that she is a woman. She is called Lady all the time and 'Princess' by a friend. The whole game points out the fact she is a woman, in need of support and distractions from her 'motherly instincts' every 5 seconds.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Mr. Shoggoth said:
Hubilub said:
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there

But I doubt Yahtzee was going for a joke there. It's just a fact that Other M is the most linear entry in the series.
I'm still pretty positive on it being a joke. One of those subtle ones that not everyone can catch. He's had a few of them, so this being one doesn't seem that far-fetched

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
whats with people saying fridays the last ZP?
then again that would explain the special EP...
im scared...i love watching ZP and i dont want to see it end anytime soon!

Green Ninja

Aug 10, 2009
In all the time I watch this show, this was the first time I completly agree with what Yathzee said. I can not belive how bad this game is. There is nothing good about it except the cinematic presentation.

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I must disagree with Yahtzee. He focused too much on Samus' character and not enough on anything else. The whole motherhood theme is both an extension of what was built in Super Metroid (which Other M directly proceeds) and an reference to the Alien series, which you should all know Metroid was heavily inspired by.
I will admit I have issues with Samus' relationship with Adam. Yes, it's stupid that she needs his permission to use anything, but that's really more of an issue with the game's design, not Samus herself. How else could they have implemented the upgrade system. They tried something new for a change. And on that note, why the hell are people complaining that the series hasn't changed? You ***** if something's different, but you ***** just as much if it's the same thing. You can't have it both ways, people.
I will commend Yahtzee for not bringing up his well documented hate for the Wii, but I think that may made him bias to this game before he even put in the disc. Also, as a professional, he should consider a game based on its own mertis (or lack there of) instead of comparing it to an earlier instalment of the series. Yes, Metroid Prime was awesome, but this isn't Metroid Prime. You wouldn't compare Yahtzee to his brother, would you? No, because other than sharing 50% of their DNA, they are two unique individuals, and should be evaluated as such.
Yes, this review was funny, but it fell short in all other aspects. I know you can do better than this Yahtzee, so why aren't you?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Friday? I will be there, I promise.

And for the review itself, hilarious and I already expected the shit to fail.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
viking97 said:

it appears most of the other reviewers are being extra special nice to it for some reason..
No, you just don't realize the purpose of Yatzee: to make you laugh. He hyperbolizes everything. Also, I'm quite sure he is bad at video games, just based on some of the control porblems he's had with other games (this one included, actually. It's suppose to work quite well after a bit of getting used to). He's here for entertainment, not to review games.

For example, imagine your favorite game. Now imagine Yatzee "reviewed" it. It apparently really, REALLY sucks. Unless of course you favorite game is Psychonauts or Portal.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
SpaceMedarotterX said:
You say to the guy who owns a Wii and is quite happy with it, nice going genius why don't you take this Rule

Rule#983 of the Internet: Responding to a comment by insulting the person behind it, rather than offering up any substantial argument, puts you in the same category as an animal when it comes to debate and intellect

Next time save me the trouble and just make a 'Your Mum' joke.
I was not insulting you, I was responding to your insult against Bob.

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Hubilub said:
I'm still pretty positive on it being a joke. One of those subtle ones that not everyone can catch. He's had a few of them, so this being one doesn't seem that far-fetched
Well then, can you explain the joke to me because I don't really get it.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
it doesnt stop the game from selling a bazillion copies to the fanboys/girls just in pre-orders.

seriously, if all nintendo fanboys/girls were restrained on these release days, who knows? maybe the game would only have sold as many copies as it DESERVED (which is NONE!)

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
The stronger emphasis on story was done to apeal to japanese gamers, thus has Japaneese ethics. Samus' respect for Adam comes from the japanese having alot of respect for their elders. Her dogged devotion to him is ordinary by japanese standards, where devotion to your superiors is a fact of life. Calling the game out on these is culturally insensitive.
On a side note; it has been established that samus was mentally traumatised as a child, given what happened to her why is anyone surprised she has issues?
With reference to the Ridley scene, Samus has ptsd related to Ridley. As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack. An attack that is actually a fairly accurate presentation of ptsd. Personally I believe calling this out to be extremely insensitive to real people in real combat situations with ptsd.
I enjoyed playing this game and I agree that samus' voice actor was wooden as all heck, but it was still fun to play.

themonsean

Nov 30, 2009
I agree 100% with this. And its funny too. damn. oh and for the sake of sanity I'm just assuming the traitor was the guy pushed into the lava.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Very funny as always, Yahtzee. And now I must say something to the viewers.

We've all heard this stupid song a hundred times, Yahtzee's review is less than positive and the fans don't line up to give whatever game he reviewed a given week a fair shake. Look, I'm not trying to say everyone needs to denounce Yahtzee and found the One Church of Wii Shovelware Games and start playing today's shitty rust-colored first-person shooter du jour, but I am saying that Yahtzee's reviews are his opinion and that you should try the game for yourself and form your own opinion. I get why people don't, you don't want to spend money on a game that you don't like, but isn't that the purpose of Blockbuster and Gamefly and the like? All I'm saying is give it a chance and don't take one person's review of the game as the only measure of how good or bad something is.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Aiddon said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:

When was Samus established to have a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

Pretty much; a silent protagonist doesn't HAVE a personality so "bold independent spirit" for Samus is like saying Gordon Freeman "is an obsessive compulsive woman-hating crisp eater with a Boston accent".

Also, may I kindly ask that the game's supporters NOT turn this into another slug fest? You're better than that and we don't need the flames fanned again. It's times like this where Yahtzee is used in the worst way possible: to make detractors feel better about not liking a big name title. Then again Yahtzee's relationship with Nintendo has always been a bit predictable.
I completely agree, let's talk about the review, not the game, there are enough threads for that as is.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:

You never played Fusion, did you? She quite blatantly disobeys orders several times in the game, and when she's called out on it by her AI CO, she doesn't exactly apologize for it.

Magmabear

Apr 1, 2009
Oh yeah, I heard somewhere that it was Nintendo who wrote Other M. Team Ninja only did the gameplay and graphics. So I suppose that we can blame the bad writing from the creator himself (shockingly). I dunno, I'm gonna have to look into that somehow.

WraithGadra

Dec 3, 2007
Wow, I never thought I'd agree with Yahtzee regarding a Wii game. It's kind of neat that nearly everyone who dislikes Other M is making the same general complaints about it.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Hubilub said:
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there

And because it didn't have the stupid authorisation system you could still sequence break the fuck out of Fusion, and indeed it was specifically designed with rewards for those who did so. Yet another instance of the people making Other M not knowing the first thing about their likely audience.

The authorisation system is really not how Metroid is supposed to work, because the whole point of most Metroid games up to now has been player driven exploration. You find out how to get to places, you figure out what you need to do using the abilities you have, or what kind of ability you need to have, and then you go and look for it, and when you do you feel the accomplishment of having worked something out for yourself.

Also, if this was an attempt to introduce genuine depth and three dimensionality to Samus, they could at least have hired a voice actress and scriptwriter who were out of fucking high school drama class. The writing is shit and the delivery is leaden, it's like a bad '90s anime dub. That's probably the biggest insult to Samus' character, the fact they couldn't even be arsed to spend that extra few dollars and extra few days looking for a decent voice actress to portray her. (What, one of the most profitable games companies this generation can't afford Jennifer Hale any more?)

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
viking97 said:

What other reviewers? I've been hearing almost everyone say bad things about this game. Gameinformer gave it a 6.5 and the reviewer here gave it a bad review too. the only one who hasn't is the game overthinker who is bias for nintendo.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The only problem here is that its recommended one play Metroid Prime instead, a game whose controls are also like reflecting bricks with ones head while wearing a brick earing. Whoever decided you should be nailed to the floor whenever you go into "look around the room for the enemies who aren't right in front of you" mode deserves a few bricks to the face of his own. Fights usually consist of some flying jackass coming out and getting free shots on you because you have to stand there in the open like an idiot trying to find him, until you finally do and can use the lock-on which allows you to move again.

Forget Metroid in general, I'm going to go play a series that's actually good.

GloatingSwine said:
(What, one of the most profitable games companies this generation can't afford Jennifer Hale any more?)
"I'm Samus and this is my favorite store on the Citadel"

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
hawk533 said:
Damn, I was looking forward to getting this game eventually. Oh well, I just got Civilization V working this morning so I should be fine on games for the next 2 years.
civ v isn't released until friday, how'd you get it working?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
epsilon246 said:
The stronger emphasis on story was done to appeal to Japanese gamers, thus has Japanese ethics. Samus' respect for Adam comes from the Japanese having a lot of respect for their elders. Her dogged devotion to him is ordinary by Japanese standards, where devotion to your superiors is a fact of life. Calling the game out on these is culturally insensitive.
On a side note; it has been established that Samus was mentally traumatised as a child, given what happened to her why is anyone surprised she has issues?
With reference to the Ridley scene, Samus has ptsd related to Ridley. As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack. An attack that is actually a fairly accurate presentation of ptsd. Personally I believe calling this out to be extremely insensitive to real people in real combat situations with ptsd.
I enjoyed playing this game and I agree that Samus' voice actor was wooden as all heck, but it was still fun to play.
I don't think it was actually designed to appeal specifically to the Japanese as Nintendo has never really been about keeping things to one culture. However, as the writer for the game WAS Sakamoto, let's face it, people from Japan are going to write in a way synonymous with Japanese culture as it's JUST HOW THEY ARE. I am getting more than a little sick of comments about the Japanese; it's starting to get outright RACIST.

And another thing I'd like to bring up is military protocol. Yeah, Samus may not be part of the army anymore, but the GF has jurisdiction over the Bottle Ship and they have EVERY right to refuse her access if they see fit. Adam allows her to participate as long as she follows orders which SOLDIERS HAVE TO DO. When you're in the armed forces you obey your CO, you carry out orders, and you don't make your problems the problems of others.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
For me, this game was an instant no after learning that it was outsourced to the makers of Boing. And definitely now that Yahtzee revealed that there's a gosh-darnit family theme in the game. Also, it appears that outsourced IPs in the industry rarely incorporate the spirit of the original and build from there to give us an equally worthy experience. The company who the game has been outsourced to simply has only a vague notion of what the game their extending actually is, and thus can only build from there, often within a tight deadline.

Of course exceptions exist, Metroid Prime 1 itself being a prime example since it took Metroid into 3D in a really well done way. In the future, I suspect Fallout: New Vegas will be good too since the "outsourced" made Fallout 1 & 2, and possibly Dead Rising 2 will be good as Inafune kept it close to the chest after Dark Void and Bionic Commando tanked. And naturally Case Zero was a solid appetiser from things to come. But, you know what they say: it's the exceptions that prove the rule.

Pity this, because I really liked the Primes, especially parts one and two. Therefore, good review, let's see what friday will bring.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
epsilon246 said:
As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack.
Why should Samus possibly believe that Ridley is dead? She's beat his ass down four times now and yet he keeps coming back. It's more of a surprise when Ridley doesn't turn up yet again. Quite frankly by now it should be him that suffers PTSD. The Space Pirates are already piss scared of Samus and shit a collective brick whenever she shows up. (seen in the scannable logs in the Prime games)

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Well, I saw this one coming!
I don't think anyone can call it a good game.
Off-topic: Just finished Mogworld, excellent!

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Surprisingly, this is one of those games that nobody really seemed to give a positive line about: There was that one member of the Escapist who said it wasn't that good, X-play said it wasn't very good, and Yahtzee. It says to me that Team Ninja just know how to create interesting "Visuals" ("You may not yet caress my daughter's Awesome Bew-Bidge") but not much else.... oh yeah, and incredibly difficult ninja games.

All's that aside, a good review.

and I don't think Yahtzee is going to retire, but I have a feeling that he might announce the "Quantum Theory Contest Winners". Yeah, probably not his thing, or maybe he'll do a special review and take next wednesday off, he's certainly allowed to do whatever he wants, but retiring... I don't think so. Think about it, he did say he will have to re-review Duke Nukem Forever, that's next year. We've got him until 2011.

I won't say much more than that, but here is hoping.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Mr. Shoggoth said:
Hubilub said:
Well then, can you explain the joke to me because I don't really get it.
Well, as I said, Fusion was the most linear Metroid game before Other M, and it got a little flack for it by some (heavy emphasis on the little). Games before Fusion, like Super Metroid, put you in the game and then let you find all upgrades and power-ups by yourself, find your way through the game by yourself and so on and so on. Fusion had a much stronger "Go do this, go do that" feel than previous games.

Of course, as GloatingSwine pointed out, Fusion became much more open towards the end of the game when you had all the power-ups and could go scout for upgrades, but the fact that it started of very linear is what I think Yahtzee had in mind when saying that Other M was more linear than Fusion.

I could be wrong though. Who knows? Well, Yahtzee does, but he isn't going to point it out.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Sylveria said:
Since game one when she was a space mercenary that kicked ass and took names without ever having a single order barked in her ear.
Other than the ones we barked into her ear through the use of a controller, you mean.

Sylveria said:
So you've never played the game yet you're sucking its meat regardless. Here's a towel so you can clean all that Nintendo wank off your chin.
How am I "sucking its meat" by pointing out a flaw I saw in the arguments that Samus Aran as a character had been completely derailed? I fail to see the connection between looking for clarification as to the source of all this nerdrage and wrapping my lips around the nearest Wiimote.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
luckey said:
sorry yahtzee, bob's argument makes more sense to me in this case then your does, so it looks like i'm gonna get this one
Except Bob incredibly biased towards Nintendo. Calling him an Nintendo fanboi is an understatement in that regard.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Aiddon said:
And another thing I'd like to bring up is military protocol. Yeah, Samus may not be part of the army anymore, but the GF has jurisdiction over the Bottle Ship and they have EVERY right to refuse her access if they see fit. Adam allows her to participate as long as she follows orders which SOLDIERS HAVE TO DO. When you're in the armed forces you obey your CO, you carry out orders, and you don't make your problems the problems of others.
There's military discipline...and then there's blind retardation.
Asking someone to run through a burning building is one thing. Asking them to do it naked for absolutely no reason, is another.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there
I didn't. Can you explain? Disregard this, I suck cocks. (Didn't see the other post you made.)
Well, I don't make a habit out of posting in ZP videos, because of the magnitude of posts that get made, it's really unlikely that someone will see your post, but, anyway, great review, really did make me laugh at some points.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Hubilub said:
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there

Yes, but Metroid Fusion was awesome and shame on anyone who does not believe it to be so. :p

I'm glad this wasn't a review of Halo: Reach, since any review he did of that game would undoubtedly be negative... and may run the risk of turning me against Yahtzee forever. <3 Reach.

In other news, I wonder what the special ZP will be about. I'm certainly hoping it won't be him announcing the end of the series, as this is just too entertaining. Still, it's all mysterious, making me a bit tense.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Hubilub said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:

To be fair, in Metroid Fusion her personality was rather bold and independent. It starts with her going on a mission to inspect a space station that's gone silent, but when she realizes that the place is crawling with creatures that can kill and then clone living organisms, and that the government wants them for weapons, she abandons her mission AND defies her partner AI (which is hinted at to actually be Adam) so that she can destroy the space station.

But mostly I think that when people say her personality is bold and independent, they are only trying to give more power behind the fact that Samus was one of the first iconic female badasses in gaming, and she didn't need a personality because by that time, most badasses didn't need personalities to be badass (Like the majority of 80s action films). Giving her a personality wasn't needed, because Samus wasn't supposed to be a deep character, she was supposed to be a badass without personality, showing that the role of badass wasn't exclusive to men.

Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't add more depth to her. On the contrary, not adding depth to her would be stupid. But you can add depth to a character without taking away the badassness. What Other M did was take away the feeling that Samus was a super-badass. She was too dependent on other characters, she froze still when facing Ridley, and all that other stuff people complain about.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Samus didn't have much of a personality before Other M, her character still made a statement: Women can be equally as awesome as men. And Other M took away that statement.

Metroid Fusion is still the best Metroid game in the series for me, because that game managed to add some more depth to Samus while keeping her a badass.
Thank you for responding intelligently to my question rather than taking refuge in the idea of me being a Nintendo fanboy or saying I like getting it down the throat from their marketing department. I'll ask you a question pursuant to this in PM, because this has gone on long enough. We're not talking about the review any more at this point.

Which was funny. I guess.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Hubilub said:
Of course, as GloatingSwine pointed out, Fusion became much more open towards the end of the game when you had all the power-ups and could go scout for upgrades, but the fact that it started of very linear is what I think Yahtzee had in mind when saying that Other M was more linear than Fusion.
It's not just that. It's that you can sequence break in Fusion. Not as much as in the other games (especially Super Metroid), but you can still try and do things in the wrong order, and deliberately skip items and upgrades in order to provide more challenge. (there are special ending screens for particularly low item runs).

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I watched the game played out via youtube, since I knew I wouldn't get to play the game (no wii), and had the same questions. Who is the Deleter? Yeah, I know WHY that line of story was essentially discarded, but then who is the guy driving the over-sized street cleaner?

Also Spoiler alert!
Remember all that discussion about how the metroids were reengineered to be resilient to the Ice Beam, and therefore unbeatable? And then when we finally start fighting metroids, it's the Queen, and the ice beam totally works? Wft, I ask you, was the point of bringing up these resilient metroids if were weren't going to even attempt to fight them? I was thrilled to see this FRESH take on metroid combat. "Goodie! Something that will challenge Samus, and perhaps bring about a new power-up," I thought. But nope! Just boom, take out a corner of the damn spaceshi via cut scene, and resume business as usual.

Overall, the game was 50% facepalm, and 50% cool. When Team Ninja starts mucking around with the story, or Robo-Samus starts to drone on, it's kinda meh-worthy. But the game play looked cool... cept for the missile system.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
epsilon246 said:
As a result of believing he was dead she was not ready to fight him and suffered an attack.
Why should Samus possibly believe that Ridley is dead? She's beat his ass down four times now and yet he keeps coming back. It's more of a surprise when Ridley doesn't turn up yet again. Quite frankly by now it should be him that suffers PTSD. The Space Pirates are already piss scared of Samus and shit a collective brick whenever she shows up. (seen in the scannable logs in the Prime games)
In space, apocalypse is you!

And agreed- if this was like, the first time Ridley had returned? Alright, I could accept Samus freezing up. Third? Hesitation, sure. But by the point of this game, it's already happened several times. There's no really getting used to this sort of thing, but you'd expect the person who's singlehandedly killed him about four times already to have more of an 'I can take you' reaction and dive right in as opposed to curling up dropping a bomb, no matter how brief.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Getting mad at ninja theory for their demeaning portrayal of women is like getting pissed at a dog for peeing on the carpet.

What shocks me the most is that Nintendo say okay, go ahead. It's as if they don't care and would rather cash on the DoA demographic than excercise some control over how one of their household characters is handled.

Out of curiosity, how was Samus' portrayal over the Smash Brothers story modes?

Edit: Watched Moviebob's take on this: http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

While I agree that it's a bit of an overreaction to completely dismiss the new characterization of Samus, and that we can't expect the companies to get exactly how we think Samus should be, I still hope they would have given her a bit more of an authority and self reliance. Is for some reason Samus any less of an expert and a hero than Snake that she needs to be rescued and led by the hand hm?

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
Pretty spot on review! Oddly enough, I already went out and bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy just to get over Other M.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Jark said:
Duke Nukem Forever, maybe. Although how he got hold of a copy way before its release is a mystery, so it's a long shot.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
Hubilub said:
It's not just that. It's that you can sequence break in Fusion. Not as much as in the other games (especially Super Metroid), but you can still try and do things in the wrong order, and deliberately skip items and upgrades in order to provide more challenge. (there are special ending screens for particularly low item runs).
Hu. I didn't know that.

You have given me another reason to replay my favorite handheld game!

Where did I put my Advance SP?

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
Brian Blessed you say?

I WOULD APPROVE!!

*coughcough*
This definitely made me laugh good and plenty, which is certainly an achievement, considering my nature.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:

I'm sorry, but your logic is just stupid. That's like saying Gordon Freeman is actually a bad guy, because I like to throw grenades at the feet of NPC teammates and watch them die. Or that because I once spent an afternoon throwing Mario into a pit over and over, he never saves the princess and is completely incompetent.

Story and gameplay segregation dude.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Hubilub said:
GloatingSwine said:
Hubilub said:
Hu. I didn't know that.

There's actually an area where you can find a message left explicitly for people who pull off a particularly difficult sequence break... I've also head Prime has some nice ones, including getting the Space Jump first.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

I note that you made the link to Ripley, but here's the thing, Ripley got to be a human and well realised character, got to show human attachment (again, it was already there in Alien in the camaraderie of the crew) without turning into a broken bird that needed Daddy to protect her, Ripley was the protector. Even in Alien 3, where her character was about as broken down as it was going to get (Some might try and tell you they made a fourth Alien movie, but they are clearly mad), she was still ready to face down her personal demon.

And she didn't whine about it on her blog like Samus does in Other M.

If the person who wrote the story for this had watched Aliens a few times, we might have got a significantly better character.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Hubilub said:
GloatingSwine said:
Hubilub said:
Hu. I didn't know that.

It's possible to complete the game collecting 1% of the available items.

eyedonutkair

Feb 6, 2009
]
Fronzel said:
*spoiler alert*
Well, its pretty obvious that a ps3/xbox fanboy would think the game is bad.
I personally wouldn't go so far as to say its perfect, but it's far from bad. The whole authorization was stupid, and true, you had to have some level of dexterity aside from button mashing to use missles adeptly without taking damage. In fact, it's safe to say someone that doesn't play WoW or Halo almost daily would probably say those games suck, whining that they 'can't do it'. The thing I have a problem with is how many stupid people can't seem to figure out who the traitor is. James was a suspect since he planted the bomb, and he was found dead in the room where you left MB, that room being the BRC. I believe the thing sustaining nintendo fanboyism is not having the need to 'feel' like an adult buy playing games that make you think you're being a bad ass by shooting people and swearing. I like to think that people play games because they like them, not because all your sissy friends think it cool, and that you're lame for not playing it. Then again, sheep don't really have control over their lives, do they?

fmatthew5876

Feb 22, 2010
Finally a ZP on an interesting game.

The whole deal about not getting to use your upgrades until your boyfriend tells you is pretty bad. They couldn't come up with a better way to handle the powerup issue?

I would have prefered any of the following:
1) Just reuse the whole idea where you get your powers drained by some event/enemy in the beginning. Its been done before but as long as the rest of the plot is solid nobody will care.
2) Samus got the Hyper gun at the end of super metroid which was insanely powerful. Maybe after the end of the game this gun burned out all of her powerups. Maybe it destroyed the functions of her suit and she had to repair it / get a new one. In this case I wouldn't even mention it up front, it could be in a note or something thats easily missable. Players would ask why she doesn't have her powerups from the last game and this would be a nice little piece of trivia for gamefaqs forum nerds to talk about.
3) Or just make her start out without her powerups and just not explain it at all. Its more of a gameplay issue than a story issue and could easily just be ignored rather then having to find a way to shoehorn the issue into the story and create a completely retarded scenario where samus walks into a hostile environment without protection just because her boyfriend hasn't said its ok. When I played Xenosaga episode 2 I didn't ask why my characters were all level 1 again and didn't have all of their powerful attacks from the first game.
4) Maybe you start with the plasma beam but its the weakest gun in this game. Upgrade further from that. You would still need an explanation for bombs and missiles and such.

Does this also mean that you get all of your major powerups on a linear path? What about finding secret items? Is it setup so that if you find a secret room then he will call you and tell you its ok to use the wave beam now?

I've been considering getting this game and this review has been very helpful. It sounds like the story was pretty awful but I might have to try it anyway for educational purposes.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
You know usually I feel like you're too harsh to what is probably an alright game, even when you justify your points entirely well. This reviews marks one of the few times the game is literally as bad as you say it is. I wasted £40 on this shit pile of a game so it was incredibly satisfying to watch you agree with every single thing I picked up on when playing it.

"...the bloated cancerous mass of the story's atrocity overshadows everything else". Best way to describe this game ever.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm curious to know if anyone has heard how this game was received by japan.

Uberman5000

Jul 21, 2010
No one thinks much of this game, including myself. As it should be.

Hopefully now Nintendo will knock off the bullcrap of letting Team Ninja develop a game that goes against their innate need to make the female characters 90% tits and 10% kicking.

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Let's see... Yahtzee hates it, Spoony hates it, Socksmakepeoplesexy.net hates it...

Well, Moviebob likes it. At least someone's on my side.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i usually never agree with your bashing (i watch it just for giggles) but this video was filled with giggles and JUSTICE.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
Best review in a long time.
I literally laughed out loud.
Shame on me for saying that
This. A really good one. I almost stoped to be his fan.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Crono Maniac said:
Let's see... Yahtzee hates it, Spoony hates it, Socksmakepeoplesexy.net hates it...

Im not trying to bash or anything, Im actually Bobs fan but sometimes he appears to me like he just wants to have different oppinion then everyone else for any price.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Is it just me or has nintendo killed it's idea bucket and are making it's own games worse and worse?

if you ask me I say the only reason the Wii is still alive is because of SEGA (MadWorld, Conduit, Arguably the day levels of Unleashed) and Ubisoft (No More Heroes 1 + 2, Red Steel 2)

I wonder if that new Zelda game will bring it back to life or if the wii is still on life support...

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
Great review, though it really was story-heavy. I guess with Metroid games you know what to expect from the gameplay. Hope the Friday ZP rocks as much as this one did.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
Jaredin said:
Heh...and this is what happenes when you outsource what was a respectable francise heh
Oddly, the Metroid Prime games are also what happens when you outsource a respectable franchise. F-Zero GX & AX were also handed over to Sega to produce, and it turned out to be a fantastic racer. The same folks that made Metroid Prime are doing the new 2D sidescrolling Donkey Kong Country, too. Handing games to other developers isn't at all a bad practice, you just have to be careful who you hand it to.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Now this comes tricky defining what kind of standard Nintendo failing this is. They generally come in two types, the "Lets try something completely different" kind (Mario Sunshine, Starfox adventures) and the "lets make the same money train again without change" (Super Mario Sluggers). Well on the one hand this is a different set up from the Prime games with more traditional 2D platforming and 3D fighting plus making Samus talk, but it could also be said that is just Super Metroid Prime with a talking Samus and a flip to screen FPS mode.

Which would you classify it as?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I disagree with his claim that Kojima's writing is worse (he's long-winded and quirky, sure, but he still makes interesting if convoluted plots with mostly likable characters), but otherwise he gives a pretty accurate description of the game.

MasterRahl

Feb 2, 2010
So, yes the controls would be fixed if they incorporated the nunchuck, yes the switch to first person sucks balls, yes the story telling may be atrocious. But, was it fun? I got to play the demo at pax where the guy running it reminded me of Shia LaDouche where he went, "No no no no no no no no," or, "Ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya," every other minute. I think he hates me now because I was kinda pointing out that it was incredible stupid not to use something you have (nunchuck). But, after 2 hours of waiting because people are inherently bad at that game, I blaze through the whole demo in about 10 mins, and I had fun playing it. They went with a fast pace approach where it's fun if you're trying to do a speed run, which is refreshing after the Prime series.

All in all, I still might get the game (on ebay for 10 bucks) because I did have fun.

On a side note, the people who did the prime series are now doing the new Donkey Kong Country ='( . I recommended that game to my coworker just because the person who's going to be playing it is 9 and I'm pretty sure that's the only age that is going to have fun with the new one.

On another side note, please hate the game more so the ebay price will drop faster, thank you.

~Rahl

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
se7ensenses said:
Have you even played Other M?!
Hell, has he even played Metroid Prime?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mr. Shoggoth said:
Hubilub said:
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:

IT'S A MIRACLE!

I see what you did there

Ohhohohoho.
You would be surprised my Good man.
I know people who hate Fusion only for the reason that Samus is given a Clear Objective.
Even though on the way to the Objective there is plenty of Room to explore a bit.

Ot:I laughed.
Metroid:OM does have its flaws, but the ones pointed out in the Video are the worst ones, and a few Exaggerated Times 10.
I don't remember seeing Samus's Ass every 10 seconds.
But funny jokes are still funny.
Though it gonna be interesting to see where the series goes now, maybe a 3rd person Metroid Prime:Hunters?

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
Is Metroid such a guaranteed sell that Nintendo wouldn't care about how its story was handled?
Do game designers really think audiences are foolish enough not to notice atrocious storytelling and ham-handled gameplay elements?

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Pandora92 said:
Then again, it is possible to give a silent protagonist a voice... look at Jak.

PROTOTYPical

Sep 24, 2009
i think its been several episodes of ZP since i literally loughed out loud (i LOVE zp though) but i lol'd several times at this new one. and my sibling got this game and hasnt quite loved it so i was interested.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Crono Maniac said:

Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Jaredin said:
Not really....
Nintendo, namely Sakamoto, had full control over almost every aspect of the game.

Team Ninja only did the Art Style, Animation, and 3d Modeling.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
And with that, the last dying embers of the Wii have been snuffed out. I can't fathom how unimaginably difficult it must be to be a nintendo fan. Failure is staring them in the face with every game nintendo release.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:

Remember folks, when everyone is making the same arguments against the game, that just makes them all the wrong-er. Bonus points for blurring the line between fantasy and reality by saying she's not been established as a bold, independent person because she's merely a puppet of the player. May as well have just said "I concede".

EDIT: Really though, despite his thankful harping on the story for over half the video, Yahtzee completely managed to downplay what a submissive, panicky, well... "chick" she became. So much for those of us who saw the Ellen Ripley expy in her from Day One. Hey, Ripley had a motherhood character arc too, didn't she? You'd almost think that's what the baby metroid was supposed to remind us of. (Naturally, that was handled better even without Samus talking.)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Motakikurushi said:
And with that, the last dying embers of the Wii have been snuffed out.
Lol no.
The majority of Reviewers like Other M.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m
And many people still do too.
And even with OM there are plenty of Amazing games keeping the Wii alive.
And there are plenty more coming out.

The Wii is far from dead IMO.
But..that is just my Opinion.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Nitrokitty said:
So I looked up who did Samus's voice for the Metroid Prime series, even limited as it was to grunts when she gets hit, and I found out who it was.

WHHHAATTT! They ditched an amazing VA who did Fem-Shep among other great voices for the robot we got in OM?

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I did saw this one coming. But Yahtzee gave it a very fair review, and I liked it a lot. Very funny, very enjoyable, good work man.

Also, should we be expecting a review of Metroid Prime when you run out of games to review in summer next year?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Last time that I can remember Brian Blessed in a video game was Viking: Battle for Asgard, which was apparent from the very start... no one can miss that booming voice.

Anyone who watches The Spoony Experiment, did you also feel the character of Samus had been "raped"?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I assumed the game wasn't named after anything in particular but rather Team Ninja trying to be clever again (Other M? M Other? Eh? Eh?)

Gigaguy64 said:
Jaredin said:
Not really....
Nintendo, namely Sakamoto, had full control over almost every aspect of the game.

Team Ninja only did the Art Style, Animation, and 3d Modeling.
If I remember correctly the same Sakamoto said in an interview that he was so moved by the game's story that he cried. I think we can remove him from the "knows quality" part of our Venn diagrams.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
Great review.

Say, I wonder why Pokemon FireRed version was in that stack of games at the beginning. Especially since Portal was also in that pile.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Zeetchmen said:
Nitrokitty said:

WHHHAATTT! They ditched an amazing VA who did Fem-Shep among other great voices for the robot we got in OM?
Yet another reason for me to never touch this game. (Coincidentally, I'm currently getting into Mass Effect- I bet Hale could have pulled Other M's script off, even if it is truly as bad as I've heard it is. Some fantastic work out of her :D)

... and yeah, after hearing some of the voice work? The little cries of pain we got in Prime far outstrip this... ... there's no word for it.

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
My God when was Samus such a pussy. Team ninja sure fucked up on this game. Way to screw up yet again. Go and make us a new Dead or Alive game already.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Zudarkness said:
My God when was Samus such a pussy. Team ninja sure fucked up on this game. Way to screw up yet again. Go and make us a new Dead or Alive game already.
*facepalm*
Team Ninja had NOTHING TO DO with Samus as a character.
They only worked on her Design and the games 3d modeling.

Wanna blame someone?
Blame Nintendo, namely Sakamoto.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
AngelicSven said:
Next up, Link will not be a silent protagonist any longer and he will be whiny and emo.
No, I don't think they'll turn Link into Cloud.

Maybe if they made him like Zidane, but not Cloud.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Keep whoring out the MovieBob vid, peeps. The frist (second?) commenter demolished it completely and exposed it for what it was: weak straw men dressed up in pristine white knight armor.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
epsilon246 said:
He was on a planet WHEN IT BLEW UP! He was deader than dead by this point, he was only still alive through federation cloning.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
AngelicSven said:
Well he isnt Whiny and Emo....but he was given character...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Nomanslander said:
Moviebob would like it because it's not an FPS and it's an exclusive Wii title, asking him what he thinks is like asking this guy what he would think:

If MovieBob is a Nintendo Fanboy, then what the FUCK is Yahtzee? And if you say creditable then that just proves you're a hypocrite, an elitist, a ZP fanboy who dreams of sucking Yahtzee's cock and above all a hack just like that bitter drunken Aussie piece of dogshit. As I've said in the discussion regarding IGN's little flame-war magnet "Killing Samus", MovieBob is ten times the gaming expert Yahtzee ever will become! And this review proves it!

This was nothing but Yahtzee regurgitating not only his biased anti-Nintendo smear campaign like always but the same stupid ass complaints about non-existent control problems, sexism, and character derailment that X-Play started up in the first place. So yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much lowered himself to the same level as the lowest form of video game journalism and I hope he fucking proud of himself for doing it. It just only cost him any chance at ever being labeled a human again.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
Aiddon said:
epsilon246 said:
The stronger emphasis on story was done to appeal to Japanese gamers, thus has Japanese ethics. Samus' respect for Adam comes from the Japanese having a lot of respect for their elders. Her dogged devotion to him is ordinary by Japanese standards, where devotion to your superiors is a fact of life. Calling the game out on these is culturally insensitive.
On a side note; it has been established that Samus was mentally traumatised as a child, given what happened to her why is anyone surprised she has issues?
I enjoyed playing this game and I agree that Samus' voice actor was wooden as all heck, but it was still fun to play.
I don't think it was actually designed to appeal specifically to the Japanese as Nintendo has never really been about keeping things to one culture. However, as the writer for the game WAS Sakamoto, let's face it, people from Japan are going to write in a way synonymous with Japanese culture as it's JUST HOW THEY ARE. I am getting more than a little sick of comments about the Japanese; it's starting to get outright RACIST.

I forget were I read it but the story really was trying to appeal to japanese gamers who tendprefer story heavy linear games more to open sandboxes and mission based shooters we westerners tend to prefer.

As for your second comment you raise some good points. Though I'd like to add that Adam is Samus's client; Samus is obeying the wishes of her client, like a profecional should

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
luckey said:
Oh, you mean the argument that attempts to validate a bullshit fan theory of Samus having post traumatic stress disorder? So I guess you'd prefer excusing away bad writing than holding the shit writer accountable for it?

Thanks for not having a spine, kiddo.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
CriticalQuit said:
AngelicSven said:
No, I don't think they'll turn Link into Cloud.

Maybe if they made him like Zidane, but not Cloud.
Well, I think Cloud's emoness is a little blown out of proportion because he's one of the first emoey characters. Like I find Kratos and more recent JRPG characters extremely more emotional.
Personally, 'd love if he ended up happy-go-lucky like Zidane but the Zelda series has a lot of serious moments so I don't know. I'd much like him to stay quiet.

Gigaguy64 said:
AngelicSven said:
Well he isnt Whiny and Emo....but he was given character...
Most like to pretend Zelda 2 never happened. :/

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Very hilarious review. But it also makes me sad because for a while there all the promos actually made me want to play Other M. Now that I know they've prettymuch turned Samus into a superficial female game heroine, I'll be saving my dollars for sure.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
This review returned my thoughts to the query:

When did female protagonists get trendy in games [or all mass media for that matter]?

Productions like this are making it awfully cliche. With the two sides of the scale being 'Normal person who happens to be female' and Paris Hilton, I for one prefer the former.