Zero Punctuation: Metroid Prime Federation Force

Jan 27, 2011
SeaCalMaster said:
Transdude1996 said:
Bedinsis said:
Regarding games that do not contain the usual protagonist:

How was Half Life: Opposing Force and Blue Shift received?
Blue Shift was a console exclusive alternate story for the Dreamcast version of Half-Life, and that was cancelled a month from release. So, how do you think it was received?
Um... It was definitely finished, and it's on Steam right now.

Can someone explain to me how Other M makes the Prime games non-canon? That doesn't make any sense at all.
A quick google search says that it's because in Other M, she claims she hasn't take orders from the military or worked with the federation forces since leaving Adam's command.

She's pretty much working nonstop with the Federation army through all of Prime 3. That seems to be it, really.

That and removing the Prime Series lowers the "Ridley slain" counter down from about 4 to just 2, making her freak out moment 1% more believable.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
aegix drakan said:
Not sure if that was intentional on Yahtzee's part, but the director of the Prime games, who doesn't work with Retro Studios anymore, released this week his most recent game, ReCore, with the help of none other than Comcept, it went as well as you might expect. Now the fact is that he's gone may have something to do with the Metroid-less Retro Studios.

I think that Metroid is their most experimental series... ever, Nintendo outright refuses to let anyone work on Mario or Zelda because they have memories of the last time they let, and because the Metroid Prime Trilogy were the first Nintendo games developed outside of Japan, without direct interference from Nintendo of Japan [kinda redundant saying that], and after the blunder of Team Ninja and Sakamoto, I don't think Nintendo is going to trust anyone else to work with their franchises as the CDi scars re-opened with the sales and critics of Other M. But FF does appear to set up something, and considering it's a game set just before Metroid II, I think they have plans for Samus.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
It's nice to see Yahtzee snorting a line of coke for these. It shows dedication.
Yeah, Metroid has been dead ever since the stroke that was Other M killed the franchise, so this game sounds more like the end of rigor mortis than anything that will revive the franchise. I say kick Sakamoto in the head, give the franchise to Retro Studios and officially declare Other M as in-universe Space Pirate propaganda.

SeaCalMaster said:
Can someone explain to me how Other M makes the Prime games non-canon? That doesn't make any sense at all.
It's easy. Yoshio Sakamoto, the former director of the franchise [footnote]I say former because I trust the fucking janitor of Nintendo more than him now.[/footnote], came out and flat out stated that the Prime series was non-canon. Why? I don't know. Probably because he thinks that it doesn't fit with the new "Samus", the amazing armour-clad ovary.

Jan 27, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:
officially declare Other M as in-universe Space Pirate propaganda.
I like this idea. XD

You know, I'm still shocked at the people who defended Other M. Seriously, it was preposterous how much context they ignored, and how much actual proof/visuals/text they glossed over when declaring that Other M did a good job with Samus. >_>

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Enzbe said:
Beardy, bald, hopeless Nintendo Fanboy with glasses, wearing a Mario shirt? I see what you did there, Yahtzee and I like it.
Oooooooooh now I get it ;)
What, is he making fun of Boogie or something?
He's likely referring to moviebob, who used to made videos here before he lost his marbles.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
GrumbleGrump said:
It's easy. Yoshio Sakamoto, the former director of the franchise [footnote]I say former because I trust the fucking janitor of Nintendo more than him now.[/footnote], came out and flat out stated that the Prime series was non-canon. Why? I don't know. Probably because he thinks that it doesn't fit with the new "Samus", the amazing armour-clad ovary.
Do you have a source for this? I can't find it. The closest I can find is Sakamoto saying that he wasn't directly involved with the story for the Prime games, but that's very different from declaring them non-canon.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
aegix drakan said:
You know, I'm still shocked at the people who defended Other M. Seriously, it was preposterous how much context they ignored, and how much actual proof/visuals/text they glossed over when declaring that Other M did a good job with Samus. >_>
Back in the glory days, when The Escapist had it's own in-house Nintendo fanboy, he used to say that "Samus"[footnote]Meaning Other M Samus.[/footnote] was better than Samus because she had a character and that all the characterization that Samus had was invented by fans. Which is weird, considering that Super Metroid alone gives her a few traits before gameplay even starts. This also implies that he thinks no character is automatically worse that having a character, which the Legend of Zelda cartoons and Zelda CD-I games inmediatly disprove.

Ahh, the good old days...

SeaCalMaster said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Do you have a source for this? I can't find it. The closest I can find is Sakamoto saying that he wasn't directly involved with the story for the Prime games, but that's very different from declaring them non-canon.
Now that I look for it, apparently it was a mistranlated interview that said it. The actual intention was that it didn't need the Prime games to work or that the Prime games are something like their own thing. Regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that Other M doesn't work with anything, since "Samus" acts completely disconnected from every other Metroid game. In fact it just makes the Ridley scene in MOM way more stupid, since Samus has killed him about 4 times now (5 times in Fusion, after MOM).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So the thing that looked like it was a total disgrace to the Metroid franchise turned out to be just that?

And people told me I was jumping to conclusions. Because apparently every single thing about the game spitting in the face of Metroid fans wasn't proof that it would be a bad game. No, instead it turned out to be an AVERAGE game...that spat in the face of Metroid fans.

That'll teach me for being right...

Jan 27, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:
aegix drakan said:
Back in the glory days, when The Escapist had it's own in-house Nintendo fanboy, he used to say that "Samus"[footnote]Meaning Other M Samus.[/footnote] was better than Samus because she had a character and that all the characterization that Samus had was invented by fans. Which is weird, considering that Super Metroid alone gives her a few traits before gameplay even starts. This also implies that he thinks no character is automatically worse that having a character, which the Legend of Zelda cartoons and Zelda CD-I games inmediatly disprove.

Ahh, the good old days...
That's just the tip of the problems with his Other M defense.

He also ignored the various points in the Prime series where Samus shows emotion.
Her fear while standing her ground against Metal Ridley in Prime 1. The actual terror in her eyes staring down Dark Samus in the finale of Prime 2. Her anger and determination when one of her foes in Prime 3 took her own form while dying just so Samus would "See herself die". Her brief gesture of respect over the head of a dead trooper who died leaving behind a recording of the attack on their ship. Her slight hesitation, then lowering her weapon when confronted with a strange species asking for her help, before deciding to trust it. These are not the motions of a "Statue", but rather the actions of a quiet, but focused individual person. Samus knows fear, anger and sadness, she just doesn't show it.

Not to mention he ignored the ACTUAL first story driven metroid. Fusion. You know, the game Other M is a prequel to?

Samus talks a LOT in that game. She monologues on a LOT of elevator trips. We see into her head as a quiet, thoughtful, even nostalgic but ultimately highly focused individual who is slightly irritated at her reputation as an ice queen, but not troubled by it. We see she is reckless and will immediately throw her life away for an important-enough cause. We see that she understands the situation on the ground with crystal clarity, but lacks some of the big-picture vision others have. We see that even though some things "Strike a nameless fear" into her heart, she will face it anyway.

Again, these are not the actions of a statue.

Not to mention her soft side, shown at the end of Metroid 2. >_>

Seriously, that's the point for me where he jumped the shark and I couldn't take his game opinions seriously anymore. :s How can you overlook all of THAT and say that the "I am an emotionless emotional robot who is too stupid to ask for Varia suit authorization, and I will crumble in fear at the sight of the nemesis I've slain again and again" version of samus is the better one? -_-

I mean if they wanted to
have Samus be incapacitated and rescued by the other guy, there's a perfectly reasonable way to do it. Have her flash back to moments facing down Ridley, then scream in anger and shout "How many times do I have to kill you?!" before unleashing weapons that are NOT authorized yet, causing damage to the station, and focusing too much on heaping damage on Ridley to think about evading. Then, afterwards, have her comment something like "I let my hatred consume me. One moment of weakness was all it took. I resolved to do better" or something.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
erttheking said:
So the thing that looked like it was a total disgrace to the Metroid franchise turned out to be just that?

And people told me I was jumping to conclusions. Because apparently every single thing about the game spitting in the face of Metroid fans wasn't proof that it would be a bad game. No, instead it turned out to be an AVERAGE game...that spat in the face of Metroid fans.

That'll teach me for being right...
Well, it doesn't help that the game was released on the series' 30th anniversary, and a complete fan remake of Metroid 2 seemed to show more dedication to the series than Nintendo has done since sentencing Retro Studios to remake Donkey Kong.

Actually, now that I think about, a lot of the best "Nintendo" games released in recent years haven't actually been developed by Nintendo. And, it seems quite funny that they take offense to this by proceeding to take out anything new that was good in favor of showing the masses the "superior capabilities" of programmers nearing retirement, or just drop the series all together.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Steve the Pocket said:
darkrage6 said:
Yes thank you Yahtzee for shitting all over this terrible excuse for a Metroid game, another bad thing about this game is the graphics look horribly outdated, seriously they look like they could've been on the regular DS(Metroid Prime Hunters looked better)

On a side note, next week Yahtzee is going to be on the Co Optional Podcast with Total Biscuit, cannot fucking wait for that.
'Bout damn time those two did something together; I'm legitimately surprise the Escapist hasn't snatched Mr. Bain up by now, although it's very possible that Jim Sterling has warned him not to have anything to do with them.
Total Biscuit does not want to work for gaming journalism websites as he does not trust them, and considering the Escapist is doing freaking sponsored videos for exploitative mobile garbage like Clash of Kings, I can't blame him, there's just something very wrong about that.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Well, at least there's going to be a Mario game on smartphones later this year...

You know what, fuck Nintendo. I never liked Metroid anyways...

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
This game shows the trap of catering purely to the Japanese market, as is one of Nintendo's pathetic trademarks. Simply put - co-op multiplayer focused games on handhelds don't work outside Japan. People drive to work, so they can't play video games while doing so. This hopelessly Japan-centric design has killed other games, and it's blatantly obvious it killed this one too. StreetPass focused nonsense also has clearly failed outside Japan, and I'm sure this game is filled with that garbage too.

Worse, they couldn't even be bothered to balance the game for single player, which put the nail into the coffin.

And then the cherry on the shit sundae, they slapped Metroid on it purely for brand recognition purposes.

MrGoodSocks said:
Is it just me, or is he talking faster and sounding more... British?
Yeah, something is definitely off with the tone in his voice. Maybe he's sick.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
inu-kun said:
Maybe after all the people being pissed off as how Samus was portrayed in Other M Nintendo just preferred to not show her so no one could complain about that...
Well that backfired, didn't it? Maybe that's a good indicator that Nintendo doesn't know what the fuck it's doing with Metroid. I thought we had all the proof we needed with Other M, but this kind of cements it.

And if that really is what Nintendo did than it was utterly boneheaded and cowardly.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
aegix drakan said:
I mean if they wanted to
have Samus be incapacitated and rescued by the other guy, there's a perfectly reasonable way to do it. Have her flash back to moments facing down Ridley, then scream in anger and shout "How many times do I have to kill you?!" before unleashing weapons that are NOT authorized yet, causing damage to the station, and focusing too much on heaping damage on Ridley to think about evading. Then, afterwards, have her comment something like "I let my hatred consume me. One moment of weakness was all it took. I resolved to do better" or something.
I don't really like this either, but it's way better that what Other M showed. To be honest, I'd rather have her being blindsided by Ridley and then getting rescued by Tony rather than the overly dramatic tripe presented in the game.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Transdude1996 said:
Actually, now that I think about, a lot of the best "Nintendo" games released in recent years haven't actually been developed by Nintendo. And, it seems quite funny that they take offense to this by proceeding to take out anything new that was good in favor of showing the masses the "superior capabilities" of programmers nearing retirement, or just drop the series all together.
Maybe Nintendo got jealous that somebody else could do a better game and to teach everyone a lesson they decided to fuck up their games.
So you better not cross Nintendo because they have other "hostages".