Zero Punctuation: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Mordoooooor

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
thanatos388 said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Glad to see that Yahtzee can enjoy a game that does things basically right, even if it's not groundbreaking. Though I suppose that of MORRRDORRR had been made by Nintendo it would be a different sort of review.
It's strange, the only fanboys worse than Nintendo fanboys are Tolkien fanboys. Who to this day insist that the eagles are totally not bullshit.
Given that Tolkien's notes basically flat-out state that the eagles are the personal servants of Middle Earth's head 'god', they're as close to a Deus Ex Machina as you'll probably find in the setting. On the plus side, they only show up in LotR after the main thrust of the story has been resolved; Frodo and Sam would've died without them, but the Ring would still have been destroyed.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
See that Warner? Even mister Croshaw liked your game.
There was no need for your review BS! Stop being so idiotic!

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
I've become a kung fu master at muting the intro until 0:16.55 when the music stops, without losing a single syllable.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
thanatos388 said:
It's strange, the only fanboys worse than Nintendo fanboys are Tolkien fanboys. Who to this day insist that the eagles are totally not bullshit.
The eagles weren't bullshit. From what I remember, it was Gandalf's original plan to use the eagles to fly the ring into Mordor. But he kept the eagle plan as a secret from the rest of the Fellowship in case any of them got captured. Then everything went to shit in the Misty Mountains which is why there was a trilogy instead of a short story.

And no fanboy is worse than a DoTA fanboy.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I guess Yahtzee would call me a nerd, because I like the continuity he set up with using a dry heave to denote a colon in a title.
FPLOON said:
Oh, Mordor!

OT: Can I have a separate sound clip of just Yahtzee just saying "MORDOOOOR" over and over again?

Other than that, the fact that this game has better Orc-related stories than the game's main story made me giggle on the inside...
(I must know more about Alan the Orc...)
Seconded. They just kept getting funnier every time he said "MOOOOORRRRRDOOOOOORRRRRRR"! The other linguistic trick he did was the argle-bargle-largle of his throat going to sleep.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
"Half a sword and most of a bear." Is there a story behind that or do you lightly mutilate a bear at some point?

Was that a siren at 0:40? Did the militant atheist get the nativity shut down again?

I didn't notice the alliteration until Yahtzee pointed it out..

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
So, it's The Sims for orcs, only when you decide to burn it down, you get to do it Arkham Asylum style instead of dropping them in a pool and removing the ladder? Neat.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
The gameplay really does seem good enough for me to overlook the cliche "Dead love-one motivation" plot point, but I'll never be able to say it's a good game without an asterisk. *sigh*

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
>When the dark lord Sauron isn't letting a little handicap, like being a big flamey eye on a stick with no arms or legs.

This is not Sauron, this is the Eye of Sauron. As in, not actually his eye, but a thingy he uses to watch over Mordor. Just as Mouth of Sauron is his negotiator and not his actual mouth.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Yahtzee's being bribed. Hell, everyone is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDNZXU79Tg

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Anyone else ever get an Orc that didn't speak but just creepily smiles at you when you meet?

Still my favorite Orc i've encountered as it was only be damaged by stealth attacks lol

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Fdzzaigl said:
The Nemesis system is great, but the OPness of the boring Talion character sorta kills it for me tbh.
Pro-tip: Turn off visual indicators for attacks (the little icons displaying when the enemies are going to attack). Makes the fights tons harder, but still doable as the enemies do telegraph their attacks pretty well. What ends up happening is you have to pay pretty close attention to all the orcs you're engaging to be ready for the counter move. When fighting a handful this is pretty simple, but once you get 10 or so orcs trying to kick down your back door it becomes legitimately challenging.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Oh wow, this week I LOL-ed like I have not LOL-ed in a long time!!!
"IT'S MORRRRRDORRRRRR!!!!" You should make a t-shirt out of that!

Thanks Yahtzee, will play this game and revenge my way all the way up untill I am King of Mordorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Thank you for the Video Post, good stuff : ) *sigh* now I will not be able to hear Mordor without the oorrrrr anymore lol. Gone-door was great as well heh.

Yeah I had that AC vibe as well not that it is a bad thing, it is a good format that seems to work nicely. Well I will add this to the list, see if they have it on sale this Holiday : )

mysta02

Feb 14, 2011
thanatos388 said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Glad to see that Yahtzee can enjoy a game that does things basically right, even if it's not groundbreaking. Though I suppose that of MORRRDORRR had been made by Nintendo it would be a different sort of review.
I don't have a lot invested in "winning" this argument, nor do I think it needs to be "won", but in a spirit of friendly banter, I will explain extremely briefly why the eagles aren't bullshit. First, Deus Ex Machina is an extremely valuable and widespread literary tool, which Tolkien uses to great effect, and obviously can't overuse. Secondly, the Eagles are a neutral-good force, and have their own shit to deal with. It's the same reason that we don't have hordes of elves, dwarves, hobbits, and men running off to do battle against Sauron. They don't necessarily feel it's "their" war, and they have their own shit to deal with.

Gandalf saved the life of the lord of the Eagles, Gwaihir, at a point in the past, and the Eagles feel they owe him a debt, hence their saving Gandalf and company on not once, not twice, but three separate occasions.

Lastly, the Eagles' numbers have dwindled significantly since the days of old, and if they were to fly off to Mordor with the Fellowship on their backs, they'd be spotted hundreds of miles away by spies, and met by the Nine. It wouldn't be as simple as flying in and dropping the ring in the pit; there would be a massive air battle where most, if not all of the Eagles would die, and most, if not all of the Fellowship, and Gwaihir isn't willing to risk the extinction of his people, and his species on a suicide mission.

The end.

mysta02

Feb 14, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
Oh wow, this week I LOL-ed like I have not LOL-ed in a long time!!!
"IT'S MORRRRRDORRRRRR!!!!" You should make a t-shirt out of that!

Thanks Yahtzee, will play this game and revenge my way all the way up untill I am King of Mordorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The shirt should have a picture of the Ranger, and say, "I simply walked into Morrrrrdorrrrr".

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
This was a thoroughly entertaining episode again. Bunch of one-liners had me laughing out loud, but in the tradition of having totally random lines amusing me that shouldn't be that funny... "...equipped with half a sword and most of a bear..." got me.
Also, strangely enough all the references to actual locations (2 as far as I remember) actually meant something to me.