Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm surprised he didn't touch to much on the poor story cinematics... I mean clearly they wanted the whole fancy neo artistic noir vibe but really, I've seen better on the internet.

As for the gamelay itself, I was rather skeptical given the first person perspective seemed like it would limit view on a genre that can piss you off to high heaven... on that note he should review TR: Underworld hehehe!

senataur

Aug 21, 2008
Fugue said:
Actually, they should have simply ditched the shallow storyline based in a completely unexplored game world and just made the game about beating your best time on a level. Think about it. Just about every review that's mentioned the time trials has said it's the best part of the game and a lot of people will get a lot more run for their money from the game from that, but if you're playing it just for the story you might as well not.
One of the parts I liked best about Prince of Persia : Warrior Within, were the Dharka chases. Where the game forced you to platform at speed with the bad guy on your heels. The whole theif Idea was a kind of way to introduce that same element of hot on your heels chase action, just with the cops on your tail rather than a monster. It could be done sandbox. Just like the way the Driver series did it with car chases. I was envisioning a game where you to stealthed into buildings, disable security systems etc, to steal the loot. Then finnish it off with rooftop escapes of 3D platforming fun.

Firia said:
I'm not so sure about the grappling hook thing. I mean, the style that Faith uses is Parkour, which utilises momentum and requires you to be light on your feet.
See your point. I had kind of reduced the style of the game play to 3D platforming. Given that most compaints seemed to be around the liniarity and shortness of the game I was just just throwing up some ideas that might flesh out the game somewhat. Give it some extra depth, replay value.

I was excited to see the concept and I still am. The POP games are some of the most fun games I have played in recent times and I think this concept has definatley has got legs...if you'll pardon the pun.

Deschamps

Oct 11, 2008
I really thought he'd be reviewing Little Big Planet. It's too unique for him to pass up.

I'm not buying Mirror's Edge, but I played the demo. It was alright, but it didn't really cut it for me.

Nov 11, 2008
Look I'm just saying don't Demand shit from him all the time hes only human let him do his own thing and it will be funny...

Wanker...

thesillyoldbear

Dec 5, 2008
Eh, I love Mirror's Edge and I'll be buying the new time trial map pack DLC when it comes out in Jan.

Oh and I don't mind what you review as long as it's NOT Gears of War 2.

thesillyoldbear

Dec 5, 2008
Evan Waters said:
I've heard that the problem is more that video games AREN'T a big thing in Australia, hence they treat it like a niche industry and charge a lot per unit. Then again, it's a chicken-and-egg thing- maybe video games aren't big in Australia because they cost a lot and aren't released until fans have had months to import them from elsewhere (and the censorship thing might also hurt.)
Um, that's bullshit. In 2007 Australian video game sales reached one billion dollars, a record high, which over 21,468,700 people is about $46.58AUD per person. Converted that's $30.02USD per person. Now let's compare that to the 10.4 billion in US game sales through 2007, which over 305,817,000 people is $34.01USD per person.

Add to that the fact that US game sales are stagnating while the rest of the world's (including and especially Australia) game sales soar and you can see that the gap isn't that huge and is closing quickly.

Niche industry? Fuck you, fuck Microsoft, fuck sony and fuck Nintendo.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
anyone else think that it was kinda ironic that theyd have such a blaitant eve review on ZP i mean we all know yatzee's opinion on that bit of codeing.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Dragon_Nexus said:
Then I found out the story is non-existant to make way for the gameplay....and I cancelled my pre-order.
Then I found out the gameplay wasn't even that good....and I cancelled my guilt.
That's odd, I found neither of those two problems. Perhaps it was because I actually, you know, played the game. Unless you're saying you played a copy of a friend of yours to find out that second part.
You tend to post what i think AceDiamond. No one seems to take chances on these games any more. Only a handful of gamers here seem to buy the game and then say they agree or disagree on what he said. I simply haven't bought it because It's not out on PC yet, but when it does and drops in price i will buy it, because I think full price for a 4 hour game is not on.

But it seems like Yahtzee's word is law, and no other full bodied reviews or one's personal taste even matter any more...

n0va

Dec 5, 2008
I watched the 'cinematic' trailer a few weeks ago and decididly settled down into my chair content in a pool of excited urine before realising that i don't actually own a PS3 and that i was getting strange looks of my fellow students.

I think the soundtrack does it for some people, and according to said people the soundtrack on the trailer (Alcorus) doesn't actually feature! So theres one plus point flushed.

Also first person works great for FPS and for the trailer - yeah while you're WATCHING IT! Now you try and perform such smooth motions when you can't even see your feet!

I had such high hopes for this game, and was wondering when our friendly verbal-assassin would rate/slate it, and I'm glad he did in a way as it saves me forking out £300 for a game and console that would have ruined my christmas like an inquisitive serial killer coming to dinner. Still i agree that its something original, quite rare these days, to quote Yahzee something that isn't space marine no 11,000,000,000.

Also, why did they feel the need to include weapons at all? One of my non-gamer friends pointed it out during the trailer, and i thought yeah why? I'd be perfectly happy with a free roaming (perhaps 3rd person) free running game, with a completely nonlinear open world to explore and hurl myself off if things got too much, completing fetch quests and missions and chased by hundreds of less athletic and doughnut chomping fuzz. Seems like everygame wants to add a gun section. Next thing we know the new Mario will be a clash between Gears of War and Splinter Cell with a gritty realistic Mario sabotaging pipes and rescuing genetically engineered sentient mushrooms from a hidden laboratory cunning disguised under a mansion, built by B.O.W.S.E.R whos sign is a giant red and white piece of cheese.

Lab time now.

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Anaphyis said:
1. You imply the EA suits don't interfere with decisions made at one of their subsidiaries. Not working as a suit at DICE I can't say for sure of course and I doubt you can either (unless you are one of course) but considering EA's usual demeanor even in a developer publisher relationship I very much doubt that.
I accounted for that already... see my example above.

Anaphyis said:
2. If GM would found a subsidiary Evil Corp...
...then the subsidiary Good Corp can't be made to take the blame for that. So if one software house under EA makes shitty games and include Evilcorp DRM 3.11? with their products, then another software house, also under EA but that does not make shitty games nor uses invasive DRM, shall not have that mud flinged on them.

And that was the humor here... because assuming that the different software houses under EA are in fact pretty independant of eachother, I thought it was funny that the blame for the bad game that is Mirror's Edge got shifted away from the actual creators to EA. :D

Anaphyis said:
3. If you follow your argument logically to it's conclusion then NO game is actually made by EA as all their games are made by subsidiaries. Everything else would be a double standard born out of your liking of the games by DICE, Bioware or Maxis but general despise of anything else made by EA.
You assume I hate all games published by EA. I don't. In fact a few of my all time favorites come from EA (The Jane's Simulator series, with Longbow, Longbow 2, F-15 and F/A-18).

So... 3 times counter-counterpointed. What else do you have?

/S

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
I simply love postings like that. Great job! There is nothing more beautiful than someone with a bit of know dancing in circles around concerete-shod ignoramuses. Bravo!!

/S

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
Nice one Yathzee, I hope you do the game beijing 2008 next time. I haven't seen you review many sports games, and from what I've heard it's a trainwreck :)

mintsauce

Aug 18, 2008
Friendly_Neighborhood_Misanthrope said:
It's annoying how many people, despite Yahtzee even having said multiple times in his freaking videos that conformity is bad, will instantly decide they don't want this game because Yahtzee didn't like it. I can understand being more hesitant about a game when it has a bad review, or about not thinking it will be good and getting some confirmation, but at least read another review or something before you blindly accept Yahtzee's disapproval as the word of God or something. I mean you gotta take into account differing tastes, that Yahtzee is a CRITIC, and it's his job to nitpick games to hell, and the fact that he seems fairly elitist in his gaming choices. I mean, to be perfectly fair he seems to dislike a number of games that got good reviews and that people still like, and while this makes him a good critic in a number of ways, and makes his videos very funny, it just seems like people should take some other opinions at least before instantly deciding anything Yahtzee didn't like must suck, PERIOD.
True. I've seen a lot of posts in this thread saying "hmm, I was on the fence about this game, now I definitely won't buy it." Guys, since when did Yahtzee actually like a game? That line of thinking could cost you some of the most fun you'll have with a game this year.

I absolutely love Mirror's Edge, it's one of the most interesting, refreshing and exhilarating games I have ever played. Sure, it's got a few issues here and there, but in no way do they spoil the overall experience.

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
It's especially pathetic when his problems are so trite that you have people talking about what he says with sko baby talk. In each one of these comment threads you hear people talking about the game being revealed as a "fan game" whatever the fuck that means, and in this specific one I heard people calling Mirror's Edge a "trial and error game". That's just meaningless claptrap. What's next, dismissing games for being a "graphics game"?

He has lots of complaints that fall flat on the game, like first person jumping not working because you can only see your feet when you look down. People have been jumping rockets in Quake for years, many early FPS games (Shadow Warrior specifically) had super difficult jumps, Halflife 1 made FPS jumping into a fucking art. It's really difficult to tell if he's dumb, ignorant, or just doesn't give a shit when he says these things.

The guy is just trying to fill out his time, I mean Christ look at his review of Ninja Gaiden 2 a game that controls like crap and punishes the player constantly. Magically he dismisses these problems as being appealing since it is akin to classic gaming's harshness, but then he hits a game which isn't based off an ancient IP and it's just a whole different opinion.

I mean I don't really see how anyone can listen anyone tangentially involved with NGJ because it's far more about making your opinions interesting than explaining why you're interested or not in a game.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
This is the only ZP that refuses to play for me. The box stays black after I click it and the timer never changes from "0:00". I see an error on the page that specifies a missing ')' on line 115, char 226 or something. Could that be keeping the movie from playing?

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Sayvara said:
You assume I hate all games published by EA. I don't. In fact a few of my all time favorites come from EA (The Jane's Simulator series, with Longbow, Longbow 2, F-15 and F/A-18).

So... 3 times counter-counterpointed. What else do you have?

/S
Ah. You say "Just because some EA games are made by some moneygrabbing facist developers that doesn't mean DICE's games are too", I said "DICE belongs to EA, so it is an EA game" - WITHOUT any connotation what that does say about the game. So either we were talking about different things to begin with in which case we can agree or it's some kind of cop out.

Either way, time to bury this discussion, enough time wasted already.

NoPantsMan

Oct 31, 2007
yes, seriously, why the fuck do we NEED lens flare? I mean, yeah at first it was a cute add on, a "look what realism we can incorporate with 2 minutes of programming" detail in the finish product of a racing game, but now it is just downright pretentious and annoying.