Zero Punctuation: No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle.

Watch Video

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Now that's just disappointing. This is the first I've really heard about NMH2, and while this is Yahzee's paid-to-insult commentary, it really does sound like the game's gone downhill. Oh, well. I don't have my friend's wii to borrow any more, so I guess by the time I get to play it, it will be cheap enough to be worth my money.
Also, does Travis really have one of those body pillows in the game? They freak me out terribly. When I was in Japan this spring, they had those pillow cases in claw machines. And the arcades were absolute sausage fests; the only Japanese female I saw in two arcade buildings was in full anime regalia for a promotional event.

Miss_Suzumiya

Mar 31, 2010
YAYS FOR JIGGLE PHYSICS!!! \^o^/
Haruhi Manga = WIN
I am little bit sad about the reference to Tarantino... But oh well. :p

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Shame Really. Currently loving plowing through NMHeroes 1 and was looking forward to what the second could offer. oh well. Still cant beat a good pair-o-titties (Sorry Miss Mayes please don't shiv me!).

will probably rent this for a while for the new boss fun and robot battles!

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
Oh goody, another grindalicious game. When will developers realise that that's not a good way of extending a game? :sigh: Oh well...

Star Wars the Clone Whores. It'll be the next big thing!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
If Rebecca didn't have a problem with your immaturity beforehand Yahtzee, It's best not to compromise your integrity

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I chuckled a lot more about this one than many of the recent ZPs. Less out-and-out guffawing. Can we get the chuckle-to-guffaw ratio worked out properly, Yahtzee?

The RMM comment was the only thing that made me actually laugh.

Hrm. Overall, a quality submission. Have to watch it a few more times I think. And I suppose that *is* really your nefarious purpose...

Mr. Win

Jan 23, 2010
It was a funny review, and I laughed a fair bit, but I disagree with a lot of the complaints. I found all of the NES style minigames to be very fun, and the exclusion of the sandbox was only a good thing, really.

sirkai007

Apr 20, 2009
No joke about the developer's "desperate struggle" to make this game work or something? I did like the reference back to Rebeca Mayes' song.

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
Great review as always, I dont own a wii, but if No more heroes were for the 360 I might think getting it.

b1u3too

Jul 14, 2009
D'aww...you should have told me not to bring my titties. Can I still get in a containment tube anyways?

....I need a holiday. ._.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
There were a couple places where it was obvious that he spliced two voice clips together. Moreso than I remember ever seeing before. I realize he has to do that sometimes, but I'd have thought he'd just do another take if he couldn't get it to mesh the first time.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Lordbishop said:
Ooo.. think someone might have watched Rebecca's vid/song
Yeah, he watched it when it came out. They even had a little twitter back and forth, but now I think they're both content to snipe at each other from their respective perches, professionally of course. (Not that I claim to understand the British mind)

Anyhoo, I was a bit underwhelmed with the ranking fights in this one. My favorite was the astronaut, and even he was a little simplistic in the end.

Then of course there was the second part of the last boss fight which is SO NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE that whoever came up with the idea of the tornado punch should be sectioned. The final part was so much easier.

Grr grr.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
As usual, release dates get screwed over =/

Hilarious vid as usual XD I agree with the point about the 50 ranks thing though, I was so disappointed with that.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
When I logged on, there were no comments. In the time it took me to watch the video, there are now twenty. Yahtzee certainly is popular these days.
For some reason, I just didn't find this one that funny, except for that joke about Rebbecca Mayes.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I love how he wears the beret on top of his trilby.

And there aren't many titties in my containment tube either.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Grrr... is anyone as tired of that stupid Slim Jim ad as i am? Thankfully, Yahtzee's review more than made up for having to watch it yet one more (expletive deleted) time. I can't say I was interested in this game, and am less so now, but I still got tons of amusement watching Yahtzee eviscerate it.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Can we stop the Slimjim ads please? Slimjims are nasty. Watching the same stupid ad before every video I want to watch does not make me want to eat that crap.

At least make the annoying ads relevant to the site, which is to say anything related to gaming would at least be tolerable.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Steve the Pocket said:
There were a couple places where it was obvious that he spliced two voice clips together. Moreso than I remember ever seeing before. I realize he has to do that sometimes, but I'd have thought he'd just do another take if he couldn't get it to mesh the first time.
Well, he does need to breathe.

But yes, I noticed a lot of that as well. More than usual, as you said.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
About time someone finally let him play this game. It sounded like he really enjoyed the firs game, and I feel badly that this one let him down.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I really need a Wii. People talk about No More Heros 1 with glowing praise. I'm also in need of some clearification; tubes, numbers, and tournament referances leave me pretty well clueless. :(

Still though, Yahtzee's acknowledgment of Rebecca made me revisit that whole confusing thing. Whatever came of that anyway (I said, knowing it's really none of my business).

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
saintfrankie92 said:
i dont miss the sandbox really. it was unnecessary the first time around.
I liked it, to be honest. The world offered a nice contrast to the exciting, frantic assassination missions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of it over the menu system.. I just didn't think it was as bad as people made it out to be.
Erana said:
Also, does Travis really have one of those body pillows in the game?
As well as a cardboard cutout in his bathroom.
I wish I was making this up.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I like this review because of all the funny jokes. I don't really care about this game in general though
Another witty and genuinely insightful comment from DOTFallen I see... =P

As for the video; it really did seem Yahtzee was disappointed in the game - moreseo than usual; the jokes were pretty funny - particularly the bulldog on the trampoline - but it seemed like he wanted to like the game, but didn't. Besides, I thought there was a port of No More Heroes coming to the 360?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Best review in weeks! I got more than a handful of good laughs out of this one.

Looks like all that screwdriver weirdness in Rebecca's last video had the desired effect.

warps

Jun 10, 2009
I can't load this particular video for some reason. I wonder if other people have similar problem. Went ahead and watched a few of the older ZPs in the meantime :D

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
I gotta say that was a weak attempt at getting back at Mayes. Yahtzee you are funnier than that. Wish you would do a review of some of the crap songs she's put out. That might be amusing.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Ghostwise said:
Slow gaming week. :(
Yep. and because of it, i was expecting a larger reference to Rebecca's video. Still, something...

OT:
Never planned on even considering this game. What a relief i'm not missing out.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
At 03:46 - is it sad that I instantly recognised that sword as the Scottish Claymore manufactured by Hanwei forge? *Owns one*.
Actually that may have been used in a couple of other videos too, but I don't remember exactly .

Anyway, very funny as always, Mr. Croshaw. Personally I do find No More Heroes 2 fun, but as you yourself said things like this are nothing but personal opinion and focusing on the negative is pretty much the point of Zero Punctuation.
Reviews are not fucking gospel.
I will agree that Shinobu's jumping/platforming sections can go eat a dick, but personally that's the only real problem I had. Well, that and hearing her shout 'Moe!' was hilarious for all the wrong reasons if you ask me.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I actually had to go back and watch the video again, the Rebecca Mayes joke made laugh so hard I didn't hear what he said after that. :p Plus I was all like "He mentioned Rebecca!1!! OMG!1, I need to write a Blog about this!!" In my head I mean. I don't blog , but my brain went a little bit mental.
Anyway, it seemed like a bit of a slow week, I was hoping for Metro 2033 or some other game. "Numeros 2" seems very... bad. I'm not gonna buy/rent it.
EDIT: But I didn't buy/rent the first one either, so...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Nice callback to Rebecca Mayes.
Personally, I thought the sandbox in NMH1 was unecessary; a distraction from getting from Point A to B. I found this game to be more streamlined in terms of moving from one part of the game to the next. It's funny how Yahtzee would complain about too many games having a sandbox and now he's calling out on the decision to take it away from the game as a lazy decision.
While I do agree that at some points it feels like the fights do get a bit repetitive, my biggest complaint is the final boss who has this astoundingly cheap teleport attack and make you his ***** with it. Also, he can knock you out of a giant glass window for an insta-kill.
Also, I must say that given Suda's track record, all those details like an inconsistent camera, occasional sudden graphical jumps, tricky jumping mechanics, etc. are anything but unintentional, given how his games have been described as "punk", AKA, rough around the edges.
I've come to accept this from him and frankly I can dig it.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I liked it better than the first. And I loved the first one.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
oh, nice, handy links to buy the games you bash now, how nice is that. as if the ads before hte video started weren't lame enough!

and i'm honestly surprised you reviewed this game, you sure are a sucker for punishment, aren't you

Aug 13, 2008
well im enjoying it, currently rank 4
but i sympathise with his points

but at the same time i love it cause it lets you properly let loose some anger since the enemies are mostly canon fodder and it's just satisfying to cut them up into small little pieces and i honestly loved that car park he talkedd about

but yeah, some wont enjoy it

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I don't know what it is about the Wii that makes me, well, not play it. Oh sure it does have some good games, particularly the great online store, but even when great games comes out I either don't buy them or don't play them enough. So I'm not sure if I'll even give this one a look and that has nothing to do with the quality of the game...

...sorry to the developers as well as they need the sales, more so since at least they're being creative.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
steeeeeve said:
I'm sorry...what?

Btw welcome to the escapist =)

And i hope he reviews the new Transformers game, want to know his impression of it

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Migratingchimp said:
I gotta say that was a weak attempt at getting back at Mayes. Yahtzee you are funnier than that. Wish you would do a review of some of the crap songs she's put out. That might be amusing.
I disagree. I don't think either of them really dislike each other, so that was, IMO, a good 'comeback.'

BigText

Nov 21, 2007
Huh, I was expecting a lot more of a positive review, but then again it IS your job to give out negative reviews, so I guess it's not too surprising.

We'll just have to wait until Portal 2 comes out to see how long you can harp on about it being too long.

Penis joke.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Personally, I thought this one was actually an improvement. The NES-style minigames were, I thought, a lot more fun and clever than the minigames in the first game. It's actually much LESS of a grind than the first one, plus there's more variety, and I felt getting rid of the sandbox wasn't a drawback at all (especially since it freed up more space on the disc for awesomeness). I got the impression that Suda 51 and his team were actually listening to their fanbase and fixed the stuff that didn't work in the first game.

Also, it's odd that Yahtzee took a few seconds of this video to rake the first game over the coals for making you traipse all the way back to the job center every time you wanted to play a minigame, and then proceeded to not even acknowledge the fact that this game fixed that problem.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
LadyRhian said:
Grrr... is anyone as tired of that stupid Slim Jim ad as i am? Thankfully, Yahtzee's review more than made up for having to watch it yet one more (expletive deleted) time. I can't say I was interested in this game, and am less so now, but I still got tons of amusement watching Yahtzee eviscerate it.
snowman6251 said:
Can we stop the Slimjim ads please? Slimjims are nasty. Watching the same stupid ad before every video I want to watch does not make me want to eat that crap.

At least make the annoying ads relevant to the site, which is to say anything related to gaming would at least be tolerable.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe
Pub Club members see videos ad-free, and with higher quality encoding. 20 bux gets you this ability, and several other snazzy benefits.

UmbrellaRedshirt

May 2, 2008
Phenom828 said:
Plus I was all like "He mentioned Rebecca!1!! OMG!1, I need to write a Blog about this!!" In my head I mean. I don't blog , but my brain went a little bit mental.
Oh very nice back peddle there though I must agree the mentioning of her name woke me out of my morning stupor. I never really got into No More Heroes. Not the fault of the game really, just the fact that my Wii never registered any movement. Oh, see what I did there?

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
D_987 said:
Besides, I thought there was a port of No More Heroes coming to the 360?
Only the first one, and so far only in Japan (it's actually been out since April). It hasn't been picked up by any developer for release in the rest of the world and, honestly, at this point I don't see it happening.

Like a lot of people, I thought getting rid of the sandbox was a positive thing. In the first game, it became completely redundant after you'd finished going around collecting all the stuff from dumpsters and those ball things. I haven't got very far into it (for the same reason it's taken this long for Yahtzee to review, fucking PAL localisation times) but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

EDIT:

CaptainCrunch said:
Pub Club members see videos ad-free, and with higher quality encoding. 20 bux gets you this ability, and several other snazzy benefits.
Ah, that'd explain why I didn't know what they were talking about. Sort of forgot that The Escapist ever had ads, to be honest.

Evilproduct

Oct 25, 2009
Haha, yes, i think Rebecca Mays scares us all Yahtzee....

P.S. Please don't hurt me Rebecca...

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
No More Heroes is to games as I am to being God. Unlikable assholes are what pass for a cast, bad controls (both on the Wii-mote/Nunchuck and Classic Controller), horrible camera, horrendous graphics and mini-games so blurry, I almost went blind looking at them.

I raise this question, again [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.208256-Question-of-the-Day-July-6-2010#7058176]; why do so many people rate this game with high scores?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blue-State said:
If Rebecca didn't have a problem with your immaturity beforehand Yahtzee, It's best not to compromise your integrity
It was definitely worth the joke, though.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Still going to play this, though I do appreciate Yahtzee's ability to counterbalance my blind adoring fanboyism with hardline, unsatisfiable snark. So thanky you, Yahtzee, for never ceasing to find flaws with the Wii. Without you, I'd be a much less tolerant (and less tolerable) fanboy.

EvilDictator

Jul 1, 2009
Great review, didn't really think much of the look of the first game so I'll miss the sequel. Also not having a Wii is a factor too.

Loved the jab at Rebecca Mayes! :D

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Escapist must really want revenue hits since there is absolutely nothing but complaints (as usual). You will hear less contract-obligated moaning in a maternity ward.

On the other hand...No More Heroes 2 does very little to expand the concept of the original so I suppose any praise one might have given before would simply be covering old ground.

It blows my mind that Suda 51 keeps forcing you to do menial tasks in between the power/laser sword fights. I mean, if I were a Jedi-knockoff and just offed one of my longtime personal rivals in an epic duel with laser swords, obviously the next thing that comes to my mind is helping my neighbor mow his fucking lawn...right?

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
The Seldom Seen Kid said:
The Rebecca Mayes joke was just perfect.

Great review :)
Lulz, ya, I loved it. Now I can't watch a review without a cheap laugh at Rebecca's expense as she will forever be known in my head as a woman who gets stabby with those who aggravate her.

Like a laughable version of Jason Vorhees. Good times.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
This took me back.

The No More Heroes review was my very first ZP.

*Thinks of previous, fun days*
*happy sigh*

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I guess I'll play No More Heroes 2 at about the time I get around to finishing No More Heroes 1.

There's quite a few titties in my containment tube, but they're all two-dimensional, and therefore compatible with No More Heroes 2.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Another snipe at the Wii, and its relevance as a gaming platform, eh? Ho Hum.
Anyway, just as amusing as ever. I certainly laughed.
If it makes you feel better,Yahtzee, those black Wii-ess-three controllers that came with Monster Hunter Tri are much better for big tough man hands...
Of course, it only came with MH. Not entirely sure why that is. Unless they've released it seperately, while I wasn't looking?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Yes, I heard about containment tube zero-zero-five-one.
The only one with a entertainment-feed malfunction, tragic.

Also, yes, I found it kind of odd how Travis is surrounded by girls who he either has to murder or flirt with, I don't find girls very sexy with giant holes though their heads, but that's (video game) life, I suppose.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
laser-horny imp! yay!
this game can not be good, i ve never heared of it at all.
not even the previous one he mentioned.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Yahtzee's gotta make his mind up- does he want the anti-Red Dead Redemption-toy-box that forces you to keep track of your hunger, confort, strength etc in a real test of prolonged survival,

OR does he want games to realise people have real lives and don't have all the time in the world to do a grind? He's said both but I've no idea which one he actually means... if any.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Hazy said:
saintfrankie92 said:
I liked it, to be honest. The world offered a nice contrast to the exciting, frantic assassination missions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of it over the menu system.. I just didn't think it was as bad as people made it out to be.
Erana said:
Also, does Travis really have one of those body pillows in the game?
As well as a cardboard cutout in his bathroom.
I wish I was making this up.
That is horrifying. Also, the sandbox portion had that epic motorcycle that wasn't good for much, but was really fun to drive.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
What's all this about ads before the video? I never get any. Maybe it's because I live in Britain.

Anyway, I didn't laugh at that review as much as some of the other ones, though the "fat dog on a trampoline" joke was pretty brilliant.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
Strange. I thought he would review singularity.
I was interested in the 1st No More Heroes but not interested enough to go out and buy a Wii. I'm going to wait for the Xbox 360 port of the 1st one, even if it looks like turd.

Great review as always and nice Rebecca Mayes joke. That little song she wrote was genius. Catchy and moving.

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
Miss_Suzumiya said:
Haruhi Manga = WIN
Well if I'm gonna be specific about it, It's actually the 9th Dissociation novel but......meh.

Australia is STILL being an Ass about their games huh?
Nice stab [sub]Pun Intended....kinda[/sub] at Rebecca.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Seems like someone has a hankering for a shag... or breasts.
Either way, I think Mayes may be in the market too. *wink wink*

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
quantumsaint said:
There are titties in my containment tube, no wait, those are my man boobs.
But at least futurama is on! (couldn't help it with the avatar)

OT: Great review, open-worlds are overrated.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Niiice. Alex Kidd in Miracle World reference! That was my 1st ever game! ^-^

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
So last year, Graham Stark. Now this year, Rebecca Mayes.
I wonder which person on the Escapist Yahtzee Croshaw will have a little spat with next year?

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Yeah, the boss fights are the only still awesome part of the game, that doesn'y get repetitive.

onda

Jan 7, 2010
Genre: Action, Hack and Slash
Correction
Genre: Spectacle fighter
8)

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
May 12, 2020
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Yahtzee: I caught the signpost where one direction was labeled "Interesting Things," and the opposite direction was labeled, "Swindon."

May I commend to you Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, starting with The Eyre Affair [http://amzn.com/0142001805]. Hopefully after reading, Swindon won't seem quite so dull and uninteresting.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Squilookle said:
Yahtzee's gotta make his mind up- does he want the anti-Red Dead Redemption-toy-box that forces you to keep track of your hunger, confort, strength etc in a real test of prolonged survival,

OR does he want games to realise people have real lives and don't have all the time in the world to do a grind? He's said both but I've no idea which one he actually means... if any.
If I am allowed to extrapolate a response from his love of Saint's Row 2, I'd go with this:

"Basically if you are going to have a toy box that functions as a game, you can at least have the god given decency to make the toys work together. Most games that play this route tend to give you a toy box with nothing but broken ends that connect to nothing else and expect you to be happy. The toys in Saint's Row 2 were more like Legos. You could do just about anything you want but it always managed to connect back to the main game. The money had use as you can't always get what you want in a mission. The perks actually helped you be a bigger badass or simply suck less.

That's the trick. That's what I want. I don't want a box of broken toys with no point. I want a box of Legos that I can do what I want and still actually feel like I am making some form of progress."

*cough* Yea, I definitely lack his wit but I feel that is the heart of his gripe with toy boxes vs no toy box.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Loved the references to Rebecca and Tarantino. Loved the Tarantino fan-tards sadness at the refernce even more.

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
I agree that they probably like each other I just want to see the drama and hilarity these two can get going.

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
Here in the US the Ads suck we have watch a ridiculous Slim Jim (fake beef jerky if you don't have it there) commercial and I end up muting and playing solitaire everytime till its over.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
meh, honestly didn't care about this game, and after hearing that it has

a) lots of grinding (GODFUCKINGDAMMITGRINDINGISLAZYGAMEDESIGN!)

and

b) honestly everything else about this game just sounds dumb, too.

I can be sure that I will likely never play it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lmao, hilarious. Loved it, and prettym uch what we want to see from it

also...lol @ Rebecca comment ^

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well if its just Number one with less there really is no point in buying it. I liked number one but why play it again? Nice review. Waiting for 3d dot game heroes review.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Wasn't this game out a while ago?
Lolzy none the less, keep up the great videos Yahtzee!

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
New favorite Yahtzee quote:

"A hack-n-slack game aimed specifically at gamers but exclusive to the Wii is like a Matisse masterpiece being exclusive to the Etch-A-Sketch."

Well done sir.

riffraff11235

Mar 26, 2009
Just to prove how much like Travis I am (which is to say how much of a nerd I am), that manga/anime/light novel that Travis is holding when Yahtzee introduces him as a "massive nerd" is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Pretty much my thoughts, though I didn't miss the sandbox and I totally disagree with using the classic controller. The novelty of physically doing the killing blows is probably the most fun part of the game for me.

I love No More Heroes though, and this one is certainly welcome alongside the original.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Lol Yahtzee finally acknowledges the Rebecca Mayes thing. I still think her calling Yahtzee a misogynist was ridiculous, and I'm a second year possibly lesbian art student taking gender studies classes.

daavisb

Jun 14, 2009
hey guys. dont understand whats happenned, could anyone bring lead me to the latest status?

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
And I love the Alex Kidd in Miracle World reference. I thought I was the only one on Earth who played that game. And owned a Sega Master System (still do).

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Gar. What about the crappy wrestling? Sure, wrestling moves are way more effective in Desperate Struggle, but they all look the same. Crappy. In the first one, you could wrestle every man, woman, and child (Except there are only men) and still have it be fun...and I liked the retro mini-games...

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Picked this game up for $18 AUD at a sale, despite the shortcomings I knew it had before I bought it, it's still really fun. In a really childish sort of way.

Strave

Gallant Gentleman
Feb 5, 2009
Ah hahahahaha!
Wow, I just was thinking "Well, I guess I'll get back on my Wii and keep playing No More Heroes 2; oh wait! A new Zero Punctuation today! I'll procrastinate playing a game by watching that instead!" And then looky here! Fortune smiles kindly upon me.

Now that Yahtzee has so expertly illustrated all the things that are driving me nuts about this game, I feel much less need to continue playing it. Hooray! Goodbye, $6 to Blockbuster; you shall be missed. And if I ever see you again, remind me to never listen to whatever "friend" of mine recommended I play this series of games.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Erana said:
Also, does Travis really have one of those body pillows in the game? They freak me out terribly. When I was in Japan this spring, they had those pillow cases in claw machines. And the arcades were absolute sausage fests; the only Japanese female I saw in two arcade buildings was in full anime regalia for a promotional event.
I'm sure most Japanese people are embarrassed by that culture.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
MasochisticMuse said:
Lol Yahtzee finally acknowledges the Rebecca Mayes thing. I still think her calling Yahtzee a misogynist was ridiculous, and I'm a second year possibly lesbian art student taking gender studies classes.
He played that song and it's video after his review last week.
After the end credits of ZP.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Nice to see the nod to Rebecca Mayes there. No More Heroes never really grabbed me, so needless to say this review is likely to do nothing to sway that. Good job though.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
I enjoyed NMH2, though the ending/final boss was a bit of a let-down compare to the twist in the first game.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I don't know why but I find I sympathise with characters a lot less after they lose their virginity.
I... I thought I was the only one!

Seriously, I've thought for years I'm a socially backward bell-end for not being socially liberal enough to like characters after they've done the deed.

Thank you Yahtzee, now I don't feel so alone!

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Yes!
This is the second time (I think) Yahtzee has mentioned, or referenced, Swindon which is my hometown...and yes, it is a shite hole :)

Thank you, Yahtzee, for giving our awful town some more fame :)

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Surprised he didn't noticed the jiggle physics on the fat gay gym owner, which I took as a way of him making fun of said jiggle physics. Although Suda51's idea of "making fun of something" is pretty much trolling. I mean, Suda brought back the WORST minigame from the first game. If you're gonna bring something back, you don't bring back the Scrappy Mechanic [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrappyMechanic]!

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
srsly yatzee is now talking too damn fast it is impossible for the human brian to process one clause before hes moving on to the second or third its not a competishun to see who can talk the fastest mr yatzee i get that its your thing that define's who you are but srsly its just getting silly now keep it within reason ok.

(Poor spelling and punctuation used intentionally. Do you see what I did there? If not, what I did there was this: satirise Yahtzee.)

It's fairly easy to talk really fast when you have written down what you're going to say beforehand and can edit out pauses afterwards. It's much harder to do that whilst keeping a sense of good structure and intelligibility. Yahtzee seems to have forgotten the latter in the pursuit of seeing how far he can push the former. I'd like to see him rediscover the sweet spot between the two.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
Wow... we've actually come to the point of in-house references

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Haha. Take that Rebbecca. And your.... songs... that suck...and stuff.

You may have guessed I dislike her.

Anyhoo's. Nice review. As always, some might say. But I shall not. For I am not some. For example I am writing this with my eyes closed.
FOR IT ALL.
Seriously, I'm that good, I'm not actually gouing back to change things either.

Anyway. Enough about me.
How are you?

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
Why is there a link to "buy this game" underneath the video? I mean, really, who would want to buy something after Ben Croshaw's had his way with it?

I also had a problem with Travis's change of character. The first time around, he was a geek doing geek stuff, using the UAA as a form of violent escapism (JUST LIKE THE PLAYER, GET IT?), but now he's just pissed about stuff, and it comes across in his dialogue and mannerisms. He used to be lighthearted and charming, but now he's way too dark.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
XD
Paused it at the scene where he's holding Haruhi whilst slicing fodder in half. Happy, just happy bliss. XD

Ossum

Apr 19, 2009
Ithos said:
Wow... we've actually come to the point of in-house references
A Gunnerkrigg Court avatar. You win.

Also, NMH1 I never finished... It was too into itself, I suppose. It made me feel like I was slogging through someone else's pretentious opinion of gaming. The bossfights were awesome though.

havoc_91

Jun 17, 2010
nice review, now can we see him review a DS visual novel after super mario galaxy 2?

Taern

Dec 22, 2008
I wonder why everyone seems to hate this game here.

Just because Yahtzee bashed it?

I rarely hear entirely negative comments about it elsewhere, and I like it myself.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
D_987 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I like this review because of all the funny jokes. I don't really care about this game in general though
Another witty and genuinely insightful comment from DOTFallen I see... =P

As for the video; it really did seem Yahtzee was disappointed in the game - moreseo than usual; the jokes were pretty funny - particularly the bulldog on the trampoline - but it seemed like he wanted to like the game, but didn't. Besides, I thought there was a port of No More Heroes coming to the 360?
why are you using my gamertag Fatal EFX???

LOL at jab at MGS franchise and Hideo Kojima with the cloning bit

is that a furyy at 00:43

"reducing Travis's social circle down to zero plus one cat"
"isn't this the same game with wobbly chest and a fatter pussy"
"the city as lively as a Saturday night in the International space station"
I love the avatar of John Marston in this video(and the red dead video as well)

Greylynx

Nov 19, 2009
Remember Kimmy did it for the Lulz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNxhVcgEvw

and REAPER REAPER THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE CALL ME!

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I hate those Wii standard controllers! "Oh look, some people don't like our motion controls. So... to keep them as customers let's put out a controller that workson half of the games. Now... lets make it bulky and not at all form-fitting to a pair of hands so it's like they're using a big NES contoller with rounded corners."

Even the SNES controller had the spot where the your palms could rest at the bottom of the controller. Yes, the pro looks a bit better, but it's still got that weird oval shape. In fact, the only changes I see are some wings and the analog sticks are spaced out a bit more.

Btw, my favorite controller still has bo be the Gamecube controller. Take that as you will...

CaseySmith

Mar 5, 2010
I couldn't imagine any sandbox game working at all for the Wii anyway. It doesn't have the hardware to do it properly.

CyricZ said:
Lordbishop said:
Yeah, he watched it when it came out. They even had a little twitter back and forth, but now I think they're both content to snipe at each other from their respective perches, professionally of course. (Not that I claim to understand the British mind)
Well I do, and us British people like to take the mickey/piss out of each other. Most times this is not ment as aggressive, it's usually ment as a form of indirect bonding; a way to have fun with one another verbally.

I really do see how this gets lost in translation with our American cousins, as when the same is applied to an American, they tend to FREAK THE F*CK OUT AND RAGE. Well, at least from my personal experience. =p

Ahh, reminds me of the early days of the internet, where an American would get in between two British friends taking the piss out of each other; accussing one or the other for being horrible and they're gonna report them and what-not... And we all know what happens in those situations!

(Both of them to the interceptor): "Piss off!"

One thing I'm now very curious about is: do the Australians have this trait?

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
With regards to maturity, didn't you think that the 2nd rank boss fight showed a stupid amount of maturity? Like the entire evolution of Travis's character?

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
LadyRhian said:
snowman6251 said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe
i see now. this is escapist idea of torture..and it's working.
i wonder if Yahtzee actually reads these comments. i enjoyed the rebecca mayes comment, but was it really a shot at here? he just said i don't want her to stab me.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
CaseySmith said:
I couldn't imagine any sandbox game working at all for the Wii anyway. It doesn't have the hardware to do it properly.

CyricZ said:
Lordbishop said:
Well I do, and us British people like to take the mickey/piss out of each other. Most times this is not ment as aggressive, it's usually ment as a form of indirect bonding; a way to have fun with one another verbally.

I really do see how this gets lost in translation with our American cousins, as when the same is applied to an American, they tend to FREAK THE F*CK OUT AND RAGE. Well, at least from my personal experience. =p

Ahh, reminds me of the early days of the internet, where an American would get in between two British friends taking the piss out of each other; accussing one or the other for being horrible and they're gonna report them and what-not... And we all know what happens in those situations!

Thank you very much for being someone who acknowledges a Brit's needs to take the piss out of other brits, you grumpy bastard.

Quite right about Rebecca and Yahtzee. It's all fun and games between them. I doubt Yahtzee REALLY expects Rebecca to stab him, and probably either acknowledges a slightly misogynistic nature or sees it as a joke.

Similarly, Rebecca will take this in her stride. She'll probably laugh about it more than us.

I know Americans personally. They get deeply offended about any witty banter that other people just shrug off. A real pain when they're attractive.

Australians aren't anything like us. They all just say "G'Day, mate" and drink Lager (NOT BEER) and hate black people. We Brits hate everyone. Including ourselves, our friends and our families.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Ironically this inspired me to get back into NMH2 again. I got it when it came out originally but a bunch of other good games came out around the same time, mainly Mass Effect 2, so it's been collecting dust for a while. Now I've got back into it and was reminded what I loved so much about the game (AND what I hated.) Thanks for reminding me Yahtzee!

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
snowman6251 said:

The only ads I ever see here are for the paid bonus membership and D&D Online

TheSorrow1145

Jun 27, 2010
Mr. Win said:
It was a funny review, and I laughed a fair bit, but I disagree with a lot of the complaints. I found all of the NES style minigames to be very fun, and the exclusion of the sandbox was only a good thing, really.
You're not required to agree, mate. He pretty much expects it by now.

Hopping to another game: Portal 2. Really hating the Valve Time right now. Not only do I have to wait 'til 2011 to get my hands on the game (which looks awesome by the way), I'll have to wait even longer to see if Yahtzee thinks it can top Portal.

------------------------
I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I hope Yahtzee's Wii breaks so we'll get some real game critiques again. Hey, isn't there anything like No Human anymore?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007

Couldnt agree more! Especially liked how he used the screwdriver as the killing weapon in one of the later pictures.

The_Ghost_Ninja

Dec 28, 2008
Miss_Suzumiya said:
Haruhi Manga = WIN
How About the reference to you lol

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Finally someone with a soapbox calling out Tarantino for the bullshit he peddles. Reckon you could write your opinions about this on fullyramblomatic?

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
MasochisticMuse said:
Yeah, I don't really think he could be accused of "misogyny" (hatred of women) given that he expresses a dislike of characteristics of males in real life and video games to a much greater extent than their female counterparts. It's just a basically curmudgeonly/snide type of humour (which I should I suppose acknowledge as being common in Britain).

In fact, I've generally been struck by his disdain for misogynistic traits in games during his reviews, as well as in his EP article on "manly men and macho men" regarding the treatment of women by the two character types.

Also loved the fact that he implied that martial artists are all nerds. We are. Except Steven Seagal, who's just a ****.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mmm not the most hilarious video but can't really blame him seeing how NMH2 seems to be shaping up (the Rebecca Mayes quip was well timed and well done haha guess it was best it was thrown in this vid)

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Finally! Someone besides me who thinks Matisse's Etch-a-Sketch period doesn't get the respect it deserves.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
I can't say anything about the game, but is anyone else tired of Yahtzee complaining about casual games on the Wii, then when a non-casual game comes out by anyone but Nintendo (which usually draws criticism on it's own), he goes off about how it shouldn't be there?

MaltesePigeon

Feb 3, 2010
DeathWyrmNexus said:

Lulz, ya, I loved it. Now I can't watch a review without a cheap laugh at Rebecca's expense as she will forever be known in my head as a woman who gets stabby with those who aggravate her.

Like a laughable version of Jason Vorhees. Good times.
Yes yes yes! A laughable version of Jason Vorhees. She's Angela from Sleepaway Camp 2!
Click here to watch here sing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqo33M60Tw

My containment tube had a whole bunch of breast implants floating in it. Now I don't seem to be able to enjoy the real thing.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, but he is right about Tarantino.

Also he makes a good observation on shut-in nerd and martial artist being an easy fusion. Gaming and martial arts has been the story of my life for years. I know I'm not the only one too.

CaseySmith

Mar 5, 2010
Boyninja616 said:
CaseySmith said:

CyricZ said:
Lordbishop said:

Thank you very much for being someone who acknowledges a Brit's needs to take the piss out of other brits, you grumpy bastard.

Quite right about Rebecca and Yahtzee. It's all fun and games between them. I doubt Yahtzee REALLY expects Rebecca to stab him, and probably either acknowledges a slightly misogynistic nature or sees it as a joke.

Similarly, Rebecca will take this in her stride. She'll probably laugh about it more than us.

I know Americans personally. They get deeply offended about any witty banter that other people just shrug off. A real pain when they're attractive.

Australians aren't anything like us. They all just say "G'Day, mate" and drink Lager (NOT BEER) and hate black people. We Brits hate everyone. Including ourselves, our friends and our families.
Hehee, made me smile.

It's not as extreme as you portray it, but it's true.

I guess that's why you see a lot of comments about dramatised interpretations of the situation between Rebecca and Yahtzee. Because people don't understand this small but basic part of our social culture.

We can laugh at our own flaws and not be offended by them. Well, most of us anyway.

And me, I'm a happy grumpy git! :D

incoherent

May 7, 2007
Mostly, I liked NMH2, and if you liked the first one you'll enjoy it to an extent, if for nothing else because it's more of the same. The main problem with No More Heroes 2 was that the bosses just weren't as memorable or interesting. Both games are very focused on the boss fights: the minigames are maybe fun once each, the levels before the bosses aren't terribly interesting (and yes, they do seem to get overly long toward the end of NMH2), and the assassination missions are just shorter versions of the levels before the bosses.

But unlike NMH1, the bosses in NMH2 don't seem as strong from a character perspective: you kill them in an attempt or two, then instantly forget them. Margaret seems like an attempt to recreate the success of Bad Girl (complete with "catchy" theme music), but Margaret doesn't have nearly the WTF value: she's just some random assassin with obnoxious ranged attacks. The game tries to make this into ironic commentary on Travis's bloodlust (the rank 2 boss even telegraphs it by asking if you remember any of the people you've killed, and you generally don't know the assassins' names until afterward, unlike NMH1 where they're introduced at the level select), but "ironic commentary" doesn't make it a more fulfilling game. And most of the hard ones can be cheesed by taking the Peony (a long red sword that gets longer, harder, and redder the more of a combo you build up... can you see the obvious joke being made here?) and bludgeoning the enemy to death with it without much real strategy.

Nowhere is this more clear than in the last boss of each game. The last boss of NMH1 appears once, he killsteals you (although apparently not very well, given one of the bosses in NMH2), he jaws with Travis for a bit, then the fight gets broken up. Okay, now we have a rival, who's kind of like Travis but more of a jerk. So when he shows up at the end of the game, it feels satisfying to duel him, and if that's not enough, there's the "plot twist" to make you realize that he's actually a semi-important random jerk. And the fight is reasonably satisfying: no real tricks, but sometimes you don't need tricks (see: the last part of the Ganondorf fight in Twilight Princess, a similar situation).

The last boss of NMH2 seems like he should be important: he's the reason your friend died, he's the CEO of a large and uncaring corporation, and he's a callback to the first game (although for some reason his last name and his company's name changed?). The problem is that Suda 51 fails to make you actually care at all. Who cares, when Travis indiscriminately murders people all the time and the friend in question was even more of a loser than Travis himself? And the fight itself is just irritating: the first phase features a moment where with no warning your previous strategy just stops doing damage with no feedback from the game that you're not doing any damage, the second phase somehow confuses "difficulty" with "cheapness" by giving him an attack which is nearly unblockable and making you just wait for an attempt where he doesn't constantly spam it, and when you kill him there's no twist or resolution, just "well, now I've avenged my dead friend, time to not really resolve anything, THE END".

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
incoherent said:
Mostly, I liked NMH2, and if you liked the first one you'll enjoy it to an extent, if for nothing else because it's more of the same. The main problem with No More Heroes 2 was that the bosses just weren't as memorable or interesting. Both games are very focused on the boss fights: the minigames are maybe fun once each, the levels before the bosses aren't terribly interesting (and yes, they do seem to get overly long toward the end of NMH2), and the assassination missions are just shorter versions of the levels before the bosses.

But unlike NMH1, the bosses in NMH2 don't seem as strong from a character perspective: you kill them in an attempt or two, then instantly forget them. Margaret seems like an attempt to recreate the success of Bad Girl (complete with "catchy" theme music), but Margaret doesn't have nearly the WTF value: she's just some random assassin with obnoxious ranged attacks. The game tries to make this into ironic commentary on Travis's bloodlust (the rank 2 boss even telegraphs it by asking if you remember any of the people you've killed, and you generally don't know the assassins' names until afterward, unlike NMH1 where they're introduced at the level select), but "ironic commentary" doesn't make it a more fulfilling game. And most of the hard ones can be cheesed by taking the Peony (a long red sword that gets longer, harder, and redder the more of a combo you build up... can you see the obvious joke being made here?) and bludgeoning the enemy to death with it without much real strategy.
This, basically.

NMH2 just felt lifeless compared to the original. It was still fun, but it seriously just felt like a rushed game. Aside from the fact that the final battle is frame rate hell, it's not even particularly entertaining. There literally is no strategy to that fight, and it's literally "Mash A and hope I survive".

The original just had a certain spark to it that made it more fun. The sheer insanity of it all was enough to get you through the first 3 fights, and then after that they mix it up by either showing you a crazy assassin or changing the gameplay a tad.

In this one, new gameplay segments felt forced. The motorcycle boss fight? Disaster. Shinobu's platforming? Annoying, imprecise, and you shouldn't have had to use it as accurately as they made you.

Like I said, still fun, but definitely a case of the sequel being inferior to the original.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
saintfrankie92 said:
Agreed, the sandbox just made me sad, and I actually liked the quicker way of traveling in No More Heroes 2. I didn't like the new turn of work mini games as you had to play them a lot more to get to your goals, but money wasn't needed to start every mission this time around though.

JHelfrich

Aug 6, 2009
Wow, I was not expecting to see an Alex Kidd reference. I guess I had assumed that since Yahtzee hadn't played much NES growing up he probably hadn't even touched the SMS. It was more popular in the UK than the US though, wasn't it?

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Great video ^~^! I especially loved the Rebecca Mayes reference >~<! All things considered ^~^!

Baba Kifo

Apr 3, 2010
"... Because after you've jammed a corkscrew through someone's palm, you might as well give it a twist while you're at it!"

Another T-shirt Worthy Quote from Yahtzee!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Some of us DO actually still own and play with a NES, many others emulate NES games by various means.

Also Alex the Kid did control pretty badly, liked the refferenace. Came built into my Master System II

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Lol funny as always. The analogy with Suda51 and the ball is actually kind off how i picture him too.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Ok so I have an advert playing after clicking the video and it's more of a bloody documentary, it kept playing after the ZP video began. -.-

rebus_forever

Jan 28, 2009
i think the best response to rmm woulda been to repost the vid for sims 3, that wouldve been uber mature : D

Sabbad

Apr 9, 2008
10 minutes to get the video because of the stupid Nissan advert. Then the sounds of the Nissan advert continued right the way through the review.

Go fuck yourself Escapist. Ask me to pay for Zero Punctuation and I probably would. Selling out to companies that insist on adverts as irritating as this makes me want to puke up your greed in disgust.

gto1969

Jun 27, 2010
i sespect the problem with NMH2 was theat the first one didn't make as much money as ubisoft would have liked and only put a limmited bidget towrd the second and thats why it seemed lacking and or lazy

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Dear Y,

I totally lost track of what the hell you were talking about after a while.

Sincerely,
Me

beema

Aug 19, 2009
lol @ the rebecca mayes shout out.

veetamin E deficiency really kills that many people?

sammi43055

Feb 23, 2010
No More Heroes 2 is desperately struggling to be a good game. I love it when Wii games are reviewed. waggle waggle

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
Funny review. Oddly enough I enjoyed the 8-bit minigames more than I enjoyed the rest of the game. I thought that the boss fights didn't have enough character this time around. I mean when you compare something like the Dr. Peace battle or the Holly Summers fight in NMH 1 to creepy murderer arsonist guy with a flamethrower battle or ugly steroidal football player with cheerleaders in a mech suit, the ones in NMH2 are just less interesting.

Ultraguy

Nov 18, 2009
Omg I live in swindon... how did you learn that swindon is in the opposite direction of intresting things D:

iBlooba

Jun 17, 2010
Eh I didn't like the game. I probably wouldn't like the first one, either.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Erana said:
Now that's just disappointing. This is the first I've really heard about NMH2, and while this is Yahzee's paid-to-insult commentary, it really does sound like the game's gone downhill. Oh, well. I don't have my friend's wii to borrow any more, so I guess by the time I get to play it, it will be cheap enough to be worth my money.
you know, it doesn't surprise me he has one of those pillows as he practically rapes his poster in the first game in one scene (a bit grammatically awkward but wtv)

I don't play the NMH games myself but i have friends that do and I watch them.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I heard the boss, Letz Shake, is in #2 as well. If his battle is anything like the first, the game will be totally awesome.

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
He could not have picked a better obsession example than Haruhi Suzumiya... for she is god(Haruhiism anyone?) Loved the review... kinda sad I fit the obsession thing to a T(see avatar and understand nyoro~)

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Is Yahtzee alright? He sounds... different... this week, but maybe that's just my imagination.

thegamingbrit

Aug 10, 2009
A classic controller? WHAT!!!!! Yahtzee you scoundrel. The executions in No More Heroes with the wiimote are the best part. How can a classic controller be better.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
"So I don't get stabbed by Rebecca Mayes" HAHAHAHAHA!, but that's exactly what I want to see! Film it! Film it!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Ghostbody said:
Good news is that there will be a NMH for the 360 & PS3. NMH: Paradise.
I think that's only coming out in Japan.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
Great Rebecca Mayes reference. I was kind of hoping for a short little review of the song, thoug. Or maybe a rebuttal song is in order?

Anyway, this is one of the funnier ZP's I've seen in a while. Great work.

furry-ryuu-ken

Jun 16, 2010
Quite a few cats in oh most every episode i've seen.
What about fire-breathing golden lions?
"All the women wear fetish outfits and they are ether in love with you or have to be bloodly murdered" So what CAN be found in tube zero-zero-fifty-one?

Tylenol

Feb 11, 2009
Words cannot describe how much I hate this game
I plan to try to get my money back or throw it at a homeless man if that fails

But actually.

red ant

May 18, 2009
I've been gone for a year and all these people talk about this Rebecca Mayes person.

I just checked and she joined about a month after I left and she sings.

TimL

Oct 4, 2007
Had to pause the video I was so shocked... Why is there a fuck removed at 1.43? Was their sponsor pressure to clean it up?

Very dissappointed. If you're going to do that, don't do a half-assed job taking it out. This isn't Australian network TV in the 1990s...

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
actually No more heroes paradise is not just coming out in japan also the uk. But i doubt its going anywhere else. But oh well I can still hope. Damn the xbox for its region blocks

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
I quite enjoyed this review, a lot more funny than some of the ones he's done recently. The Rebecca Mayes jab and the etch-a-sketch were awesome. But alas, I do have a bone to pick. Why would he have bashed NMH2 for removing the open-world sandbox aspect when he himself despises unnecessary sandboxes? That's one of the most blatant self-contradictions I've ever heard - does the quadruple amputee kindergarten award for least necessary sandbox he had in the 2009 awards ring a bell? I haven't played No More Heroes or the sequel, but if what he said about the first being a boring open world format is true, he has no business attacking a company for removing something that even he admits didn't work. Yes, they probably could have fixed it up and kept the sandbox, but at least they did SOMETHING to try and resolve the problem, which is more than a lot of game companies can say.

TimL said:
Had to pause the video I was so shocked... Why is there a fuck removed at 1.43? Was their sponsor pressure to clean it up?

Very dissappointed. If you're going to do that, don't do a half-assed job taking it out. This isn't Australian network TV in the 1990s...
I wouldn't have caught that on my own, but I went back and listened to it again and there's definitely something sloppily edited out there. I was also wondering what was up with the "gnap gnap rawr" at 2:03, that didn't seem to me like something he would've done unless asked to change what he was going to say at the last second. I've got no problems with cleaning up a product for advertisers (unless it happens to be a quiz show called 21) but I'd appreciate if it was done with slightly better quality.

chibiev

Apr 3, 2009
Thibaut said:
I would pay to see Yahtzee do a review of Resonance of Fate.
I'm pretty sure he would hate it... It has everything about JRPG's he hates and the innovations probably wouldn't be innovative enough for him. Personally, I loved RoF!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Is it wrong that I found the corkscrew joke fully as sin and laughed even harder the more the guy screamed in pain?!

-M

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If a sequel is indeed supposed to add features not delete them, someone should've told that to the team at Bioware who were developing Mass Effect 2 eh?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Now that I finally have a working PC again and don't have to rely on that crappy Internet channel on my Wii, I can finally say this: Apparently Yahtzee doesn't know of something called "addition by subtraction" and the fact that it's sometimes better to remove certain things then risk trying to improve on them only to fail at it.

EDIT: Oh I'd also like to take a moment to touch on something I missed: I don't get how you keep having trouble working the wiimote, Yahtzee but using the Classic Controller on NMH2 is a joke. The Wiimote & Nunchuk works alot better.

My advice people, don't let Yahtzee's critiques discourage you. Considering that he's taken points off of games for open world elements before, he's not one to ***** about NMH2 resorting to a menu system. The core gameplay has been improved so much over the first game that you won't really miss the sandbox elements. It's clear that Yahtzee just doesn't want to admit that a sequel, let alone one on the Wii is good.

Jack Frost

Dec 26, 2010
don't want to get this game! I hated the first one! great review!

in my opinion, the first one is a terribad game for this several reasons:

-earning money is quite annoying
-the "bosses" sucks, they are all like regular people but with an INSANE ability skill, such us fire-bending
-you have a vehicle for transport in the city, and people would expect something like "atleast I can run over people from the street, which is fun" but in this terrible game, you CAN'T

I bet the game it's actually a "Desperate Struggle" regarding to the 50 ranks

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I would say it's too bad the 360 port never came about...but no it really isn't much of a shame lol

esp seeing similarities in Lollipop Chainsaw, and I kinda quickly lost interest in that game