Zero Punctuation: Paper Mario Color Splash

Igor-Rowan

New member
Apr 12, 2016
493
0
0
Steve the Pocket said:
Did he say anything about having plans to cover the PSVR? Actually, that would be an interesting thing to see, him trying to evaluate and compare the three VR platforms available right now. If Jim Sterling can afford to buy them all with Patreon money, surely Yahtzee with his lucrative new full-time contract ought to be able to justify it.
He did a let's play of Keep Talking and Nobody explodes VR version some time ago, which means either him or Gabriel own an Oculus. And Yahtzee did say early on he was going to support it, yet said there shouldn't be VR exclusive games and condemned them for using motion controls, we all know where this is going.

BUT I heard the PSVR is compatible with Non-VR games and the XB1 and Wii U, with Arkman VR and that Rhythm game (whose name I can't remember) out Yahtzee has enough material to talk about it (or the PS VR alone) and give it a few thoughts like he did with the Kinect and the 3DS.
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
188
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures.
That's what I always tell the people that pan Die Hard 5. Um, excuse me? Did it not make like 300 million? Sheesh!
Yeah, and would you mind telling what you liked so much about Avatar, or what your favorite scene from Life of Pi was?

Reviews and sales figures don't mean a damn thing if you didn't enjoy the product, let alone remember it. Heck, people are going to the moon and back about how good of a series Stranger Things is, meanwhile I couldn't get past the third episode. Then, in contrast, other series like Taxi Brooklyn, Alphas, and Arrow and given constant crap, but I thoroughly enjoy them.
 

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,109
63
53
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
LordTerminal said:
Kyle Winston said:
I think the only reason Sticker Star did as well as it did was brand recognition; the first three Paper Mario games were good, so Sticker Star should be as well. Because it was not as well-received, that is why there is so much bias towards Color Splash as opposed to those saying it is anti-Nintendo bias.
He fails to mention that fighting battles increases your paint amount meaning they actually have a point now. That sounds like anti-Nintendo bias to me, withholding important information like that.
He did mention that battles increase your paint though. He used the word blood instead of paint, but it is there.
 

marioandsonic

New member
Nov 28, 2009
657
0
0
Funny thing is, much like Federation Force or Star Fox Zero, I don't think anyone was really defending this game before or after it came out. I had no interest in Sticker Star, so I have no interest in this one.

That said, 3 videos regarding Nintendo in the past 5 weeks? I think that Nintendo's spent a bit too much time recently on your spanking saddle, Yahtzee.
 

Dornedas

New member
Oct 9, 2014
199
0
0
LordTerminal said:
No he said you get coins and paint after every battle but it's meaningless since you can get it from constantly hitting trees. He didn't say anything about the size of your paint supply increasing after a certain number of battles.
No he literally said "The only benefit you can get is money and expanded blood capacity".

It's at 4:14
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,994
1,063
118
Country
Argentina
Transdude1996 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures.
That's what I always tell the people that pan Die Hard 5. Um, excuse me? Did it not make like 300 million? Sheesh!
Yeah, and would you mind telling what you liked so much about Avatar, or what your favorite scene from Life of Pi was?
I was being sarcastic. Who the hell defends Die Hard 5?
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,740
0
0
LordTerminal said:
You amuse me. :D Please continue posting.

-

Anyway, I'm kinda scratching my head at this game. I mean, as someone who loves RPGs, I have to wonder WHY they made that mistake with the combat system TWICE.

If all your attacks are based on consumable "cards/stickers", then all that does is encourage hoarding, and doesn't give you that satisfying feeling of growing stronger or mastering a pre-defined kit of skills as every battle boils down to "what did I pick up that I can use here, that I don't want to save for the boss fight?"

Like, if the cards were a collection that you slowly expanded and could use once per battle, THEN we have a deckbuilding game and can slowly build up a strategy that we like. If we ditch the cards and use the standard paper mario system, then we have the feeling of growing our list of skills and attacks (which was always bolstered by the neat badge system, allowing us to customize).

Maybe I'm just picky, but I don't see how I can find an RPG with consumable attacks like that satisfying.

...Great, now I'm being tempted to try to make a game like that that DOES feel satisfying. XD
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews until I play it for myself (if my damn UPS service ever gets to me) and Yahtzee is no different.

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore. All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
No it's not "childish bitching" quit making excuses for Nintendo, they are terrible at giving fans what they want. It has nothing to do with "hipsters" it has to do with Nintendo trying to shoehorn in unnecessary crap like touch screen controls to games where nobody was asking for them(having played Star Fox Zero, I can say the touch screen did not benefit that game in any way)

You need to stop blindly defending Nintendo, it's getting embarrassing.

All your stupid incessant whining about "millenials" just makes you sound like a Trump supporter.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews until I play it for myself (if my damn UPS service ever gets to me) and Yahtzee is no different.

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore. All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
No it's not "childish bitching" quit making excuses for Nintendo, they are terrible at giving fans what they want. It has nothing to do with "hipsters" it has to do with Nintendo trying to shoehorn in unnecessary crap like touch screen controls to games where nobody was asking for them(having played Star Fox Zero, I can say the touch screen did not benefit that game in any way)

You need to stop blindly defending Nintendo, it's getting embarrassing.

All your stupid incessant whining about "millenials" just makes you sound like a Trump supporter.
Johnny Novgorod said:
Transdude1996 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures.
That's what I always tell the people that pan Die Hard 5. Um, excuse me? Did it not make like 300 million? Sheesh!
Yeah, and would you mind telling what you liked so much about Avatar, or what your favorite scene from Life of Pi was?
I was being sarcastic. Who the hell defends Die Hard 5?
I do, I don't really get all the hatred for it.
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,242
216
68
LordTerminal said:
He fails to mention that fighting battles increases your paint amount meaning they actually have a point now. That sounds like anti-Nintendo bias to me, withholding important information like that.
Others were happy to point out he very well did, just not in the exact wording of paint (Calling it blood as a joke). Watch the video again, come back when you paid attention, and then we'll talk.

It's fun to play "Spot the Nintendo die hard" when criticisms about a game made by them are met with "teh bias"
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
Steve the Pocket said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Also FINALLY the drought is over, Ilike Yahtzee, but think I wouldn't stand Yahtzee reviewing another pair of games whose names I remember hearing briefly 6 months ago, or if at all. With some PSVR games out and the shooter season starting, the reviews are going to spice up.
Did he say anything about having plans to cover the PSVR? Actually, that would be an interesting thing to see, him trying to evaluate and compare the three VR platforms available right now. If Jim Sterling can afford to buy them all with Patreon money, surely Yahtzee with his lucrative new full-time contract ought to be able to justify it.
Jim didn't but the VR systems, Oculus, Valve and Sony all sent him their VR systems.
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
188
0
0
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews until I play it for myself (if my damn UPS service ever gets to me) and Yahtzee is no different.

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore. All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
No it's not "childish bitching" quit making excuses for Nintendo, they are terrible at giving fans what they want. It has nothing to do with "hipsters" it has to do with Nintendo trying to shoehorn in unnecessary crap like touch screen controls to games where nobody was asking for them(having played Star Fox Zero, I can say the touch screen did not benefit that game in any way)

You need to stop blindly defending Nintendo, it's getting embarrassing.

All your stupid incessant whining about "millenials" just makes you sound like a Trump supporter.
I find that statement a little ironic since there is a large amount of millennials who do support Trump over Hillary "I'm going to take you violent games away" Clinton.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Transdude1996 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures.
That's what I always tell the people that pan Die Hard 5. Um, excuse me? Did it not make like 300 million? Sheesh!
Yeah, and would you mind telling what you liked so much about Avatar, or what your favorite scene from Life of Pi was?
I was being sarcastic. Who the hell defends Die Hard 5?
I do, I don't really get all the hatred for it.
For me, the movie just felt bland with it not a bad film, but it's also not a good one. The action was enjoyable enough, but nothing to make me want to watch it over the previous 4 films. If you want an example of a better movie, I'd say look up Red 2, another action film starring Bruce Willis, also about finding a nuke in Russia, and, also, released in the same year.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
Transdude1996 said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews until I play it for myself (if my damn UPS service ever gets to me) and Yahtzee is no different.

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore. All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
No it's not "childish bitching" quit making excuses for Nintendo, they are terrible at giving fans what they want. It has nothing to do with "hipsters" it has to do with Nintendo trying to shoehorn in unnecessary crap like touch screen controls to games where nobody was asking for them(having played Star Fox Zero, I can say the touch screen did not benefit that game in any way)

You need to stop blindly defending Nintendo, it's getting embarrassing.

All your stupid incessant whining about "millenials" just makes you sound like a Trump supporter.
I find that statement a little ironic since there is a large amount of millennials who do support Trump over Hillary "I'm going to take you violent games away" Clinton.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Transdude1996 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LordTerminal said:
This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures.
That's what I always tell the people that pan Die Hard 5. Um, excuse me? Did it not make like 300 million? Sheesh!
Yeah, and would you mind telling what you liked so much about Avatar, or what your favorite scene from Life of Pi was?
I was being sarcastic. Who the hell defends Die Hard 5?
I do, I don't really get all the hatred for it.
For me, the movie just felt bland with it not a bad film, but it's also not a good one. The action was enjoyable enough, but nothing to make me want to watch it over the previous 4 films. If you want an example of a better movie, I'd say look up Red 2, another action film starring Bruce Willis, also about finding a nuke in Russia, and, also, released in the same year.
That was over a decade ago, there's way more important things for her to worry about now, so I highly she's going to waste anymore time on that, plus if you think Trump would not try something like that you're insane.

I've seen Red 2 and it was pretty good.
 

Shocksplicer

New member
Apr 10, 2011
891
0
0
Elvis Starburst said:
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews until I play it for myself (if my damn UPS service ever gets to me) and Yahtzee is no different.

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore. All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
Can't help but wonder why you watched him in the first place if this is the impression you get. Case in point: He never claimed these are a review to begin with, so I'd say you're wrong for telling everyone else who they should agree with or not
Just ignore that guy, he's unstable and obsessed with Yahtzee. He does this all the time.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
Like Federation Force, this another game that everyone hated before it was released so I will not trust any negative reviews until I play it for myself (if my damn UPS service ever gets to me) and Yahtzee is no different.

In fact, anyone who agrees with him this time, you are wrong to do so because this isn't a review. This is childish bitching. Yes Yahtzee, target the "mixed reviews" but completely ignore Sticker Star's sales figures. ***** about trivial matters like the Toads and how the game's not funny because it's self aware when you yourself haven't been funny in years.

No this more anti-Nintendo propaganda and I cannot trust Yahtzee's word anymore. All he wants to do is pander to pretentious hipsters and millennials.
No it's not "childish bitching" quit making excuses for Nintendo, they are terrible at giving fans what they want. It has nothing to do with "hipsters" it has to do with Nintendo trying to shoehorn in unnecessary crap like touch screen controls to games where nobody was asking for them(having played Star Fox Zero, I can say the touch screen did not benefit that game in any way)

You need to stop blindly defending Nintendo, it's getting embarrassing.

All your stupid incessant whining about "millenials" just makes you sound like a Trump supporter.
1. As someone who also played Zero, I can say the controls were not the issue, rebooting the timeline was.

2. Don't you dare compare me to those inbred hillbillies supporting Trump!

And 3. Oh but when Sony, Microsoft and every other company does it, it's perfectly fine, right? Nintendo's the only one producing what I can call games. There's no one else producing consistently good games right now. It's always 1 good game and 500 bland or shitty ones. There is literally nothing I can be hyped for other than Pok?mon right now. The indie crowd is no better either. The industry needs to go back to what made the 16-bit era or even just the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era great.
Then stop whining about "millenials", it just makes you sound like those baby-boomers who long for the "good old days" of segregation.

I think Sony and Microsoft are way more consistent then Nintendo is right now, at least Microsoft and Sony aren't trying to shoehorn Kinect or Move controls into any of their first-party games like Nintendo seems to be obsessed with doing.

No the industry should not go back to the 16-bit days, people who say gaming was better back then are looking at it through rose-tinted glasses, to quote Larry Bundy Jr(AKA Guru Larry, creator of the awesome Youtube series "Fact Hunt") "gaming was always shit", and i'm saying this as someone whose first console was a Genesis, for every good game on there, there were at least a dozen really shitty ones that had no business getting released(I.E. Dark Castle, Back to the Future 3, Heavy Nova, Awesome Possum, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Cosmic Carnage, Shaq Fu, The Immortal, Socket, etc).