Zero Punctuation: Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Watch Video

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
So "Papers, Please" is a story about the banality of evil- how easy it is to be a bad person when it affects you and your family's ability to live.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Brothers seems a bit too 'run of the mill', when you put it this way.
Also, I've heard fairly good things about 'Papers, please!'. I'll probably check it out eventually (at least it tries something different).

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
"As useful as a wi-fi connection in Auschwitz's prison showers"

Golden. Loved it.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Aptspire said:
Brothers seems a bit too 'run of the mill', when you put it this way.
Also, I've heard fairly good things about 'Papers, please!'. I'll probably check it out eventually (at least it tries something different).
If the demo is still up, check that out. I played it a coupla weeks back and was suitably impressed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LadyRhian said:
So "Papers, Please" is a story about the banality of evil- how easy it is to be a bad person when it affects you and your family's ability to live.
I like that summary.

Of course, I also like Yahtzee's Origin dig, so I may be a bad judge.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Yup, the "other checkpoint" was the only thing that annoyed the hell out of me in Papers, please.
Why couldn't they simply have it so that, say, at the end of every two weeks or so the mid-manager shows up and only then would the player learn how many inconsistencies they missed. I mean, the guy shows up either way, might as well put him to proper use...

Aside of that it was a strangely absorbing game. I mean, it simulates the most mind-numbing job ever, but it ramps up the difficulty with such a deviously calculated pace that you just always get enough new challenges to keep you interested. I would not necessarily call it a good game but it is most definitely unique.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Hmmm I was expecting a Saints Row IV review, oh well

OT: Well I'm not to sure about Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, as you said, it's short, the puzzles aren't really challenging and also I'm not fond of child characters in games so I may pass on that, but I will look into Papers, Please as that sounds pretty interesting

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I'm glad Yahtzee liked Papers Please. I played the game a few months ago when it was in beta and downloaded it day one. It's just a great game giving off a largely different experience that I want EVERYONE to play!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Kitsune Hunter said:
Hmmm I was expecting a Saints Row IV review, oh well
He generally reviews games 1-2 weeks after they've released, because his schedule for making these videos means he's usually already scripted up and is recording/editing new videos the week before they're uploaded.

Also sometimes Australia gets games much later than everyone else; Saints Row IV isn't being released for another month according to the most recent sources.

OT: Papers, Please does seem to be one of those oddly engrossing titles that is much more interesting than you'd think it would be by simply looking at its description. It's a bit much for me, though, I think I'd quickly get swept up by the rapid pace of it all.

That last dig at EA's customer service was gold, though. :D

Matt Byrum

Apr 19, 2013
I'm wondering if Yahtzee would be interested at all in Sir, You are Being Hunted!

I've seen Brothers in action and it feels exactly like what he says it is, but I've been on a desperate need for budget steam games. It looks like Papers Please will hold me over until payday.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Got a laugh out of "Ironically", but then that was followed up almost immediately by a bad transgender joke.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...I...I think I have to play Papers, Please now...

I'm not even sure if I want to...I HAVE to.

I'd never even heard of it before now but...yeah...I think I have to play this title.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Watch Video
One thought before I talk about the games, What exactly are Yahtzee's opinions on anime because he seems to both hate it with a burning passion and like it at the same time (the Eva and Bebop references are good though and the reactions are familiar)

I've tried paper's please and it's a hard game, minor mistakes are penalized and the family gets illnesses very quickly. The gameplay is engaging though and the challenge of making sure people get across while stopping evil people and helping families is rewarding with emotional weight behind it

I have not tried Brothers but i don't think I will like it given his review but let me check other sites

Jan 27, 2011
Silly yatzee, You don't create Origin account! Origin account creates YOU!

That's why it's called ORIGIN! :D

That said, Papers please sounds really interesting. I think I'll slap that on the good old wishlist for another day.

Jan 12, 2012
Matt Byrum said:
I'm wondering if Yahtzee would be interested at all in Sir, You are Being Hunted!
It sounds like something he might be interested in. I don't know if he'll have time to do a ZP review of it in the near future, though; Saint's Row IV, XCOM: Declassified, and GTA V are all coming out in a tight grouping, and he focuses more on popular games (for obvious reasons).

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
As much as I'd love to play all these titles that Yahtzee keeps finding on XBLA, I don't own a goddamn XBox, so bring them over to PC and then maybe I'll see what this hubub is about.

...sorry what's that? Millions of free flash/java games that resemble XBLA titles already exist for PC? Well alright then :D