Zero Punctuation: Peggle

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
Matt55 said:
Good review, but forgot to mention that Popcap are a bunch of hypocrital, wanky criminals. Yes, criminals.

OK aside from that though!
Any evidence of this criminality of which you speak? I mean I could call various people child molesters...but because I say it doesn't make it true unless I can back up what I say and they are indeed pederists.

Not saying you can't back it up mind you, just saying I'm more interested in seeing evidence of such than accusations.

Shane.Z

Sep 26, 2007
I decided to try some "stuff" with some of my buds and the first thing I wanted to do when I got back to my dorm was to see what it would be like when I played Peggle while high. Turns out it was really amusing, especially once the orange pegs start blinking at you, and the unicorn pisses you off more than normally. Still, the game does get pretty old after a while, but it's a nice thing to bust out while waiting for a lecture to start...better than some crappy flash game. [Orisinal.com is the exception to this rule]

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
I was shuttering when i saw that Yathzee, had reviewed Peggle, imagining that he would make a good review of it, becoming a kind of mainstream-zombie. But thankfully he was forced to it, and didn't willingly do it.

Matt55

Sep 26, 2007
Redfeather said:
Matt55 said:
Good review, but forgot to mention that Popcap are a bunch of hypocrital, wanky criminals. Yes, criminals.

OK aside from that though!
Any evidence of this criminality of which you speak? I mean I could call various people child molesters...but because I say it doesn't make it true unless I can back up what I say and they are indeed pederists.

Not saying you can't back it up mind you, just saying I'm more interested in seeing evidence of such than accusations.
Well, maybe 'criminal' is the wrong word. There's just an awful lot of IP infringement going on over there which isn't particularly legal. And they tend to rape the IP of small companies whom they know full well haven't the cash to fight back. Search for the history of Zuma in relation to Mitchell (a small Japanese developer who actually came up with the game before Popcap ripped it off.) Popcap also have a game that's a direct rip off of Guru Logic Champ, another little known Japanese GBA game. And there's plenty more instances. It really wouldn't surprise me if it transpired that Peggle had been released in Japan in 1995 under a different name and Popcap just ripped that off too.

As for being hypocrites, the boss of Popcap was in the news recently berating companies that made clones of Popcap games. Can you imagine!

I can't really back up the wankers comment, but there's enough evidence in the above to suggest it's true ;)

Teh_Hace

Sep 26, 2007
I knew that Yahtzee would never review Halo 3 this early, he's too good for those "mainstream" games. Another member thanks to Yahtzee ^.^

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
I found the same loss of time when I first discovered Sudoku and it didn't even have pretty colors. I'd argue at least its helping my brain, but lets face it, adding up 9 numbers isn't exactly tough and you don't even need to be able to that, you could do it with a collection of any 9 symbols and it would all work the same.

Good review as always.

galaga4ever

Sep 19, 2007
Country
US
I preordered Team Fortress 2 through Steam and got Peggle Extreme, a 10-level free version. An hour later I bought the full version. I became its *****.

Only yesterday did my TF2 playtime finally surpass my Peggle time.

*hangs head in shame*

chosha

Sep 26, 2007
Ah, Bookworm Adventures. That was seriously addictive. I don't even open it now unless I have three hours to kill.

Loving these reviews.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Peggle?

PEGGLE?!?!

What the fuck are the editors of Escapist smoking, making Yathzee reveiw a bloody casual game, and what's more, the simplest causal game out there!

Yeah, it's popular, but so's Solatire, and you really can't say anything about Solatire, since everybody's played it, so everybody knows what it is and what it's like.

That's the thing, reveiwing a game everybody's heard about is, well, dull, since everybody already knows what it's about and what it's like.

I mean, can't you reveiw something with some meat, something that you can actually talk about?

How about Ico?

Sly 2?

Resident Evil 0-4?

Hey, I hear there's this game called Halo 3, just came out, supposed to be pretty big, maybe somebody out there might have something to say about it, say, some Bristh born Aussie who likes to tear games a new one, even the good ones?

Honestly, hundreds of games already out there, and at least a few dozen worth buying coming out soon, so what the fuck is he doing reveiwing fucking PEGGLE?

YOU CAN DO BETTER!

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Hmm Peggle eh? I believe I ignored that as I downloaded my preordered orange box about 5 minutes ago. If it's that much of a soul sucking doom game I may want to steer around it. Also guy who posted before me I think you're assuming he gets to pick the games he reviews and I don't believe that's the case. Also I would think people would want Halo 3 to sink into the populace a bit more before they go off talking about it, especially with it being such a big release.

Edit: Good job Jer you completely forgot to say "Good job Yahtzee clearly we are but ants in the face of your glorious magnificence." There we go. Alls well.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
Are you sure that the Escapist wouldn't publish an article on solitaire? How about this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_110/1342-The-Four-Virtues-of-FreeCell]?

pingnak

Sep 27, 2007
I'm morally certain that Yahtzee can review any game he likes; it's just he won't get paid for reviewing things he hasn't been asked to, and no matter how simple the animation is, it's still very time consuming to do, so he's not likely to be slipping in half a dozen extra reviews on top of the one with a paycheck and a deadline attached to it.

You probably never heard of this 'Peggle' game before because reviewing a game like this is a form of advertising.

You've seen it expertly ripped on, now you're curious, "What could that game really be like?" On top of that, you feel like you might be missing the joke, so you want to see and not be left out.

And thousands of new hits are steered toward that game.

Me personally, I've played too many addictive games that aren't any fun at all. You initially want to play it, then you just want to finish it, and then you just want to get it over with.

Over the past few years I've often just stopped playing games and taken them back to one of those trade-in places. I get to some retarded hit-the-red-pixel-when-it-flashes Boss Battle resurrected from a lame arcade machine from the 80's that was designed to eat quarters to continue, except I already paid for the game and the designer wasn't creative enough to do anything but copy what was done before, and I think to myself, "You know, I really don't care THAT deeply about saving the princess/dog/world/brain/etc." and then eject the offending disk.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
SatansBestBuddy said:
What the fuck are the editors of Escapist smoking, making Yathzee reveiw a bloody casual game, and what's more, the simplest causal game out there!
Troll less.

Sep 27, 2007
"Also, I wouldn't advise anyone to search for 'Housewife' on Google Image Search with SafeSearch turned off, that was a frightening but instructive afternoon"

Can't believe I'm the first to bring this up, did anybody else watch the credits?

Maverynthia

Sep 23, 2007
I think his XBox is still nuked, thus no Halo 3 review. I also guess he couldn't get the microwave to play it either...

Aramax

Sep 27, 2007
Is there a text version of all the episode of Zero Punctuation?

I can understand most of what the guy with the hat says but lowering his intake of crack wont hurt I presume. But seriously, he talks so fast that if I have trouble understanding a word or two I lose focus... but not interest ( it's weird I know ).

So anyone else know where to find some text version... or some video editing program that can slow the audio of the video in questions?