Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
KEM10 said:
I am just saying that the film is Prince of Persia in name alone. There really isn't more to it than that and it stole a basic item from a game that is still fully copyrighted. It isn't like Hollywood doesn't steal interesting pieces from one medium and attempt to make movies around it anyways.
Jordan Mechner [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/fullcredits#writers], the guy who created the game in the first place and did the writting for SoT, did writing for the movie. Nobody stole anything.

Iosers said:

But...but...

Aww.
And because of which, it is not a terrible screenplay.

Edit:
takia said:
Why does Yahtzee always displays the Xbox version of a game as opposed to the PS3 version? Xbox sucks.
Load times. Fillrate. Framebuffer bandwidth. CPU flexibility. Controller ergonomics.

ROBOcity123

Mar 7, 2010
V4L3R4 said:
If he's 50,000,000th in line for the throne, I would gladly kill the 49,999,999 ahead of him in order to have an awesome king
I'm sure he would love a fanboy like you.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i liked the game and the movie and i thought that the sands of time game wasn't as good as the rest of the series. Don't get me wrong it was good but not great. there i said it now flame shield activate

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Waif said:
romxxii said:
Uhh, which Prince of Persia are you talking about exactly? Because those two things you mentioned above never happened in the original, the sequel, and the Sands of Time Trilogy, all of which I've finished several times. Perhaps it's from POP3D? Never did play that, so I wouldn't know. I've seen game footage of Forgotten Sands as well, and neither of those two events ever happened in that game.
Pretty sure it was the first one, though I was exaggerating the concept a little bit. It was dying from a fall of 6-8 feet which is still pretty bad. The running into a wall was just an analogy.

Like this.

and this

Those seem to be very specific deaths; doing a running jump headlong into a wall then dropping dead on the level below. Dropping from a ledge without doing a running jump ensures you survive at least a two-level drop, IIRC. I'm guessing this is a bug; the running jump makes the game think you've dropped from one additional level, and a three level drop is lethal.

EDIT: I downloaded classic Prince to recreate those bugs, so far, I've been surviving those running jump-to-the-wall drops.

The original series pales in comparison to the Sands of Time trilogy though, not just in the transition from sprites to 3D, but also with platforming, which allows you to do acrobatic Parkour moves (and survive 20 foot drops), but also with the Time Rewind mechanic, which ensures that if you do fudge a jump, you have a do over.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
romxxii said:
Waif said:
romxxii said:
Uhh, which Prince of Persia are you talking about exactly? Because those two things you mentioned above never happened in the original, the sequel, and the Sands of Time Trilogy, all of which I've finished several times. Perhaps it's from POP3D? Never did play that, so I wouldn't know. I've seen game footage of Forgotten Sands as well, and neither of those two events ever happened in that game.
Pretty sure it was the first one, though I was exaggerating the concept a little bit. It was dying from a fall of 6-8 feet which is still pretty bad. The running into a wall was just an analogy.

Like this.

and this

Those seem to be very specific deaths; doing a running jump headlong into a wall then dropping dead on the level below. Dropping from a ledge without doing a running jump ensures you survive at least a two-level drop, IIRC. I'm guessing this is a bug; the running jump makes the game think you've dropped from one additional level, and a three level drop is lethal.

The original series pales in comparison to the Sands of Time trilogy though, not just in the transition from sprites to 3D, but also with platforming, which allows you to do acrobatic Parkour moves (and survive 20 foot drops), but also with the Time Rewind mechanic, which ensures that if you do fudge a jump, you have a do over.

Well, upon further thought.I do suppose that it is possible that I wasn't playing Prince of Persia the way it was meant to be played. I was very young at the time, and maybe I was treating it like super mario on the NES. Which may have never been it's intention. I didn't play it for very long, and I got frustrated with it because of these facets. I've had a bad feeling about PoP ever since, and it might not have been necessarily warranted, now that you have brought this up.

Though still, it's a tough feeling to shake, I might try a demo of PoP Sands of time, if only to give a chance I wouldn't have otherwise. Thanks and stuff ^~^! Here is some cake for your troubles:

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Enough of the formulaic movie games! Why do there have to be so many shameless sellouts in the gaming industry?!

I know they have to make a living and feed their kids blahblahblah, but why can't they use their brains and at least try to be creative?

Good review as always, by the way. Your consistency is apPreciated.

Tantrix

Apr 29, 2010
takia said:
Why does Yahtzee always displays the Xbox version of a game as opposed to the PS3 version? Xbox sucks.
He probably gets payed by M$. Or he is a stupid fanboy.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
Ah-HA. So Yahtzee did get to unleashing a bit of snark Mr. Ebert's way. Nice.

Maybe it's because I live at home with increasingly grudging fatherly permission (in that joking-only-not-entirely way) and have a tendency to miss meals when not reminded, but "I mean when my parents wanted me to move out they just stopped cooking me dinner" line kills me every single time.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I absolutely adore any opportunity to throw in my piece about the artistic merits of gaming:

Roger Ebert is still right.

It's more or less obligatory at this point.

Greatness91

Jul 1, 2010
The game takes place in Ancient Persia you tool, NOT Arabia.

Persia and Arabia are 2 completely different countries with completely different languages and culture. And most Persians like Jake are white. Not Arab brown.

Wanker.

Scorp123

Nov 18, 2009
The game was shit.I had more fun playing the prince of persia from 2009 and i though it sucked btw.The trilogy was awesome but ubisoft should have ended it there.

'-_-

Aug 10, 2009
How abt we all gang up and kill the 49,999,999 people in front of him and make him our king?

Tantrix

Apr 29, 2010
Scorp123 said:
The game was shit.I had more fun playing the prince of persia from 2009 and i though it sucked btw.The trilogy was awesome but ubisoft should have ended it there.
True. However, I found 2008 better than THIS.
At least it is DRM-free AND had good art. And good models.

This is just a broken toilet beyond repair.

Jack Frost

Dec 26, 2010
the worst thing about Prince of Persia the sands of time is that with the power of the time travel you cannot die {which is lame}, unless you have zero skills at playing games and you still die, and in that case the time travel is usless for your use

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Jack Frost said:
the worst thing about Prince of Persia the sands of time is that with the power of the time travel you cannot die {which is lame}, unless you have zero skills at playing games and you still die, and in that case the time travel is usless for your use
1. Welcome
2. To me the point of the rewind feature was two-fold:
a) getting rid of the boring platform deaths that plague many games
b) allowing me to try out interesting jumps without having to suffer through the reload screen

Scarlet Mongoose

Mar 26, 2011
Trilogy 1:
PoP, PoP: The Shadow and the Flame, PoP 3D: Arabian Nights

"Trilogy" 2:
PoP: SoT, PoP: WW, PoP: tTT, plus 2 extended cuts (ports), and 2 more in-between-quels.

"Trilogy" 3:
PoP, PoP: TFK, .... ??? Canceled the trilogy, to go back to the last one.

While PoP: TFS may not be as good as PoP:SoT, it's still better than all the other PoP games that came out after.